Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | how to represent trans dragons?
1 2 3 4 5
Not to butt in since I ID as genderfluid and not binary trans, but I do have one binary trans dragon who's in a ""male"" pearlcatcher pose but goes by she/her and a feminine name. She has a special ID number, so I can't replace her with a similar dragon of the "correct" gender. However male pearlcatchers' second horn is so small I barely see it anyway, and my mind automatically goes "she" whenever I look at her icon. Her pronouns and the trans flag are in her bio. It's not some sort of "trick" or "gotcha" or overly-fetishized, hyper-masculine trans woman stereotype. This is a game and everything is fake anyway, so I don't see anything wrong with either method of expressing a dragon's "trans-ness."
Not to butt in since I ID as genderfluid and not binary trans, but I do have one binary trans dragon who's in a ""male"" pearlcatcher pose but goes by she/her and a feminine name. She has a special ID number, so I can't replace her with a similar dragon of the "correct" gender. However male pearlcatchers' second horn is so small I barely see it anyway, and my mind automatically goes "she" whenever I look at her icon. Her pronouns and the trans flag are in her bio. It's not some sort of "trick" or "gotcha" or overly-fetishized, hyper-masculine trans woman stereotype. This is a game and everything is fake anyway, so I don't see anything wrong with either method of expressing a dragon's "trans-ness."
ceasefire. now.
Usually the way trans dragons make their way into my clan/lore is that I keep looking at them and just kinda getting the feeling that they're not the same gender as their icon. So they usually don't match the icon in my lair! It is a bit weird to see them misgendered when bred, but hey, here's the upside-- you get gay dragons that can reproduce.
Usually the way trans dragons make their way into my clan/lore is that I keep looking at them and just kinda getting the feeling that they're not the same gender as their icon. So they usually don't match the icon in my lair! It is a bit weird to see them misgendered when bred, but hey, here's the upside-- you get gay dragons that can reproduce.
5C5FJH0.gif

Fuzzy
He/him
FR+3

AAaAaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaA
[img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/245436982728196107/575567764719271946/postdivider.png[/img] [font=times new roman][size=5][color=#ad6200]I[/color][/size][size=4] usually like to make them match their icon! Er, well, the icon that wouldn't make them dysphoric, since my only trans dragon right now is my sona dragon, and I'm nonbinary, so that's a bit of a pickle there. The reason why I went with that was because I really didn't want to see my sona dragon, an extension of myself, getting repeatedly misgendered in places like Dragon Share/Forum Games, because that really does kinda hurt. I still do keep a misgender counter in their bio just for fun, though, since most people don't bother reading their bio to see their preferred pronouns.
postdivider.png
I usually like to make them match their icon! Er, well, the icon that wouldn't make them dysphoric, since my only trans dragon right now is my sona dragon, and I'm nonbinary, so that's a bit of a pickle there. The reason why I went with that was because I really didn't want to see my sona dragon, an extension of myself, getting repeatedly misgendered in places like Dragon Share/Forum Games, because that really does kinda hurt. I still do keep a misgender counter in their bio just for fun, though, since most people don't bother reading their bio to see their preferred pronouns.
oZSMaBu.png "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
they/them
tumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo6_75sq.pngtumblr_nr8pjkHLgO1tm17oeo5_75sq.png
[/code]
I usually prefer the second method, but I can see why people would use the first method. Most of my trans dragons have the pose of the gender they identify with and I don't even mention they're trans - I imagine they've already transitioned.

I have one case where the marker/gender doesn't match. My birthday dragon being female made me dysphoric (which is silly, I know) so I decided he would be trans. Seeing as he's a G1 and born on my birthday, getting a male would be a waste of time and money.
I usually prefer the second method, but I can see why people would use the first method. Most of my trans dragons have the pose of the gender they identify with and I don't even mention they're trans - I imagine they've already transitioned.

I have one case where the marker/gender doesn't match. My birthday dragon being female made me dysphoric (which is silly, I know) so I decided he would be trans. Seeing as he's a G1 and born on my birthday, getting a male would be a waste of time and money.
Half the reason my dragons' pronouns don't match the game's gender designation is purely because I don't like the other sex's pose as much :d Well, either that, or I get impatient when trying to find specific dragons- I bought a female Imperial with red eyes for my Hierophant Green fandragon, because there were no identical males on the market with yellow eyes. I don't really consider him trans, though, he's just. male [i]Basically[/i], gender doesn't exist. [emoji=mirror size=1]
Half the reason my dragons' pronouns don't match the game's gender designation is purely because I don't like the other sex's pose as much :d

Well, either that, or I get impatient when trying to find specific dragons- I bought a female Imperial with red eyes for my Hierophant Green fandragon, because there were no identical males on the market with yellow eyes. I don't really consider him trans, though, he's just. male

Basically, gender doesn't exist.
cbaa17a5a06daa6a78029fcf8763b4844dd0e1a6.png .
...he/him | FR+8
@Fire lairs - please let me know
if you hatch a mint/ruby/hunter
dragon! I have a mighty need.
....OjYCOIV.png
I have trans dragons both ways. Isoda has the opposite pose because I wanted to make a breeding pair with her girlfriend, Yselda, but forgot that she was a lesbian. And Meghan has the same pose because she's based off one of my OCs, and that was the perfect dragon for her. (Not to mention, I decided after I had gotten the dragon that the OC is trans.)

Nonbinary dragons, on the other hand, can go either way for me: I have one with the male pose and one with the female pose. Both use they/them pronouns.
I have trans dragons both ways. Isoda has the opposite pose because I wanted to make a breeding pair with her girlfriend, Yselda, but forgot that she was a lesbian. And Meghan has the same pose because she's based off one of my OCs, and that was the perfect dragon for her. (Not to mention, I decided after I had gotten the dragon that the OC is trans.)

Nonbinary dragons, on the other hand, can go either way for me: I have one with the male pose and one with the female pose. Both use they/them pronouns.
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
My strategy is the first one, often. I see that it's been interpreted the wrong way, so I'll explain how it happens for me.

Basically, when I have a dragon and I think of them and their behavior, their personality kind of grows. Sometimes when that happens, they tell me something like "I'm a guy, =| ", for example, despite their biological marker status.
I give it time just to ensure it's not my own brain trying to foist on things. But if it persists, then I specify in their bio the pronouns they prefer. Because clearly a biological marker doesn't indicate to them how they see themselves. (They also tend to take a name that closer matches their identity.)

So yeah, basically, with the first one, it's basically my dragons telling me their gender, regardless of how they've been marked; I never force it. It's just how it happened. I wish I could change the marker too, but that's not possible, so I have to specify in the bio.

Besides, some of my dragons I believe are non-binary, and there's no marker for that at all, so the first strategy can only work for that.
My strategy is the first one, often. I see that it's been interpreted the wrong way, so I'll explain how it happens for me.

Basically, when I have a dragon and I think of them and their behavior, their personality kind of grows. Sometimes when that happens, they tell me something like "I'm a guy, =| ", for example, despite their biological marker status.
I give it time just to ensure it's not my own brain trying to foist on things. But if it persists, then I specify in their bio the pronouns they prefer. Because clearly a biological marker doesn't indicate to them how they see themselves. (They also tend to take a name that closer matches their identity.)

So yeah, basically, with the first one, it's basically my dragons telling me their gender, regardless of how they've been marked; I never force it. It's just how it happened. I wish I could change the marker too, but that's not possible, so I have to specify in the bio.

Besides, some of my dragons I believe are non-binary, and there's no marker for that at all, so the first strategy can only work for that.
I've got one dragon who's definitely trans, Jack, and he's female on the site because I just sort of started thinking of him using he/him by accident while working out what breed I wanted to make him (he's a permababy, and I forgot that he didn't have a male sex marker for a while). Being trans isn't mentioned in his written lore yet, but when I write something longer for him I'll probably mention that part of the reason he breed changed himself from a ridgeback to a nocturne is that nocts don't seem to be sexually dimorphic.

I've got a couple other dragons who I've been playing with the idea of making trans in their lore when I get around to writing it (especially Evergreen, because he's one of my birthday dragons and the closest thing I have to a "me" dragon), and if I did that they'd stay the same gender they are now (gender is the same as site sex marker). So I guess my answer is that it depends on the dragon?
I've got one dragon who's definitely trans, Jack, and he's female on the site because I just sort of started thinking of him using he/him by accident while working out what breed I wanted to make him (he's a permababy, and I forgot that he didn't have a male sex marker for a while). Being trans isn't mentioned in his written lore yet, but when I write something longer for him I'll probably mention that part of the reason he breed changed himself from a ridgeback to a nocturne is that nocts don't seem to be sexually dimorphic.

I've got a couple other dragons who I've been playing with the idea of making trans in their lore when I get around to writing it (especially Evergreen, because he's one of my birthday dragons and the closest thing I have to a "me" dragon), and if I did that they'd stay the same gender they are now (gender is the same as site sex marker). So I guess my answer is that it depends on the dragon?
FSH9skF.png

call me dusk | he/him | fr time+8
6S5L2CY.png
For me, it depends on the dragon. If I am getting a dragon with the intent of making them trans, I prefer the marker and pose to match their gender identity! :D

But sometimes I get a dragon because they look nice, and then I make them trans in lore because I feel like they're trans. I have a SD with the female marker and pose, but when I got him I just... thought of him as male so I made him trans. It wasn't planned, so he's still got the opposite pose!

There's no transphobia in my clan though so everyone is accepted and either way works! :D
For me, it depends on the dragon. If I am getting a dragon with the intent of making them trans, I prefer the marker and pose to match their gender identity! :D

But sometimes I get a dragon because they look nice, and then I make them trans in lore because I feel like they're trans. I have a SD with the female marker and pose, but when I got him I just... thought of him as male so I made him trans. It wasn't planned, so he's still got the opposite pose!

There's no transphobia in my clan though so everyone is accepted and either way works! :D
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
I have one FTM dragon who has the female skydancer pose, and I just wrote "he/him" in his bio, and I don't really care if he gets misgenders, because he does have the female pose :shrug:

I have one FTM dragon who has the female skydancer pose, and I just wrote "he/him" in his bio, and I don't really care if he gets misgenders, because he does have the female pose :shrug:

torture_isaac.png
1 2 3 4 5