Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Add a Genetic Component to Eye Types
1 2
No support, I agree with Vendrus' points!
The randomness is an entirely new concept to the site, so it's understandable that the userbase regards it skeptically, but I feel like in the long run this will be something that will add a really interesting twist. Suddenly getting a primal eye dragon in a batch of fodder! Breeding triples and having subtle variety within that stable range! Randomly getting multi-eye and turning it into a lore plot point! I can foresee many interesting aspects to this in future....

This point also "Until this update, you could get exactly the dragon you wanted.". This has become so easy since I was on the site, unless you are looking for a specific unusual combination of three colours/genes, usually you can find the dragon you want in multiples (whether the users are willing to sell them is another matter, but they're there). With the advanced dragon search options in future this will become even easier, so I feel like this balances well.

I definitely feel like there should be a common eye "reset" scroll/vial though, for the reasons beautifulglitter mentions!
No support, I agree with Vendrus' points!
The randomness is an entirely new concept to the site, so it's understandable that the userbase regards it skeptically, but I feel like in the long run this will be something that will add a really interesting twist. Suddenly getting a primal eye dragon in a batch of fodder! Breeding triples and having subtle variety within that stable range! Randomly getting multi-eye and turning it into a lore plot point! I can foresee many interesting aspects to this in future....

This point also "Until this update, you could get exactly the dragon you wanted.". This has become so easy since I was on the site, unless you are looking for a specific unusual combination of three colours/genes, usually you can find the dragon you want in multiples (whether the users are willing to sell them is another matter, but they're there). With the advanced dragon search options in future this will become even easier, so I feel like this balances well.

I definitely feel like there should be a common eye "reset" scroll/vial though, for the reasons beautifulglitter mentions!
They already have two categories for eyes "Natural Eyes" and "Unnatural Eyes." Personally I feel that some of the "Natural Eyes" need to be reclassified as "Unnatural Eyes." Primal and Multi-gaze both are ones that I wouldn't hesitate to move to Unnatural Eyes. Facet could go either way, but personally I lean toward moving it to Unnatural as bug eyes would work fine for bug themed dragons, but for some dragons just look strange. Assuming Primal, Multi-gaze and possibly facet were reclassified as unnatural eyes, one compromise that I feel works well for those that like randomness vs those who prefer control over things is to allow any of the natural eyes to be chosen randomly when breeding. Unnatural Eyes, however wouldn't occur when breeding routinely. Unnatural eyes would be applied to dragon and if the parents have an unnatural eye type, that eye type could occur randomly in their offspring ((so unnatural eyes are opt in when breeding)).

As for how to obtain Unnatural Eyes other than glowing. I personally feel that Multi-Gaze should be brewed, Primal should be gained via the coliseum or as a random chance while exalting, and Facet if it is reclassified should be obtained through gathering. If they add other eyes down the line, they could be introduce in a variety of ways

Some players like the randomness of the eye types and feel that it gives them something you can breed towards and still retain its rarity can breed towards. I personally don't see it that way I feel that you can't even "breed towards" anything because its completely random, you are at the mercy of the RNG. There are ways they could have introduced this randomness, but still allowed players some control by having it opt in or opt out so players who didn't want it don't have to put up with it, especially since some eyes can ruin a dragon or by having some randomness when breeding but still allow players to breed towards a goal.

Now if the admins want some randomness to breeding, a better way to handle it than completely random, no breeding towards a goal, likely they currently have it would be to have it so that there is a degree of randomness but also a degree of control. A couple of examples of how this could have been done:
--X% of the time, the offspring will inheret the mother's eye type, X% of the time the offspring will inheret th e father's eye type, X% of the eyes be random. Percentages could very, so for example (25%/25%/50% or 20%/20%/60%)
--Introduce items that affect the magic around the nest, thus the percentage of eyes in the nest. For example an unaltered nest, would have any possible natural eye. A nest with a "steady aura" item would hatch only common eyes, a nest with a "pulsating force" item, could have a higher change for primal eyes, a nest adorned with a tiger eye item, would have a higher chance for multi-gaze, etc something to breed towards.

As for unnhatched eggs--they could either be handled in such a way that only the natural eyes could occur, or allow them access to the full range of eye types.
They already have two categories for eyes "Natural Eyes" and "Unnatural Eyes." Personally I feel that some of the "Natural Eyes" need to be reclassified as "Unnatural Eyes." Primal and Multi-gaze both are ones that I wouldn't hesitate to move to Unnatural Eyes. Facet could go either way, but personally I lean toward moving it to Unnatural as bug eyes would work fine for bug themed dragons, but for some dragons just look strange. Assuming Primal, Multi-gaze and possibly facet were reclassified as unnatural eyes, one compromise that I feel works well for those that like randomness vs those who prefer control over things is to allow any of the natural eyes to be chosen randomly when breeding. Unnatural Eyes, however wouldn't occur when breeding routinely. Unnatural eyes would be applied to dragon and if the parents have an unnatural eye type, that eye type could occur randomly in their offspring ((so unnatural eyes are opt in when breeding)).

As for how to obtain Unnatural Eyes other than glowing. I personally feel that Multi-Gaze should be brewed, Primal should be gained via the coliseum or as a random chance while exalting, and Facet if it is reclassified should be obtained through gathering. If they add other eyes down the line, they could be introduce in a variety of ways

Some players like the randomness of the eye types and feel that it gives them something you can breed towards and still retain its rarity can breed towards. I personally don't see it that way I feel that you can't even "breed towards" anything because its completely random, you are at the mercy of the RNG. There are ways they could have introduced this randomness, but still allowed players some control by having it opt in or opt out so players who didn't want it don't have to put up with it, especially since some eyes can ruin a dragon or by having some randomness when breeding but still allow players to breed towards a goal.

Now if the admins want some randomness to breeding, a better way to handle it than completely random, no breeding towards a goal, likely they currently have it would be to have it so that there is a degree of randomness but also a degree of control. A couple of examples of how this could have been done:
--X% of the time, the offspring will inheret the mother's eye type, X% of the time the offspring will inheret th e father's eye type, X% of the eyes be random. Percentages could very, so for example (25%/25%/50% or 20%/20%/60%)
--Introduce items that affect the magic around the nest, thus the percentage of eyes in the nest. For example an unaltered nest, would have any possible natural eye. A nest with a "steady aura" item would hatch only common eyes, a nest with a "pulsating force" item, could have a higher change for primal eyes, a nest adorned with a tiger eye item, would have a higher chance for multi-gaze, etc something to breed towards.

As for unnhatched eggs--they could either be handled in such a way that only the natural eyes could occur, or allow them access to the full range of eye types.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Points I see here as things are right now:

Cons
Can't get the dragon you want.
Can't breed toward a specified goal during a project.
Get's in the way of otherwise good looking dragons.
Overall, bad for projects

Pros
Prevents the eyes from eventually being bred to a point where they will become fodder, thus reducing their price.
Gives new players a way to get off the ground with the chance they will get something amazing out of the blue.

The reverse will be the case if the suggestion is implemented.

I personally am not in support with the suggestion, only after I read both sides though. The reason being as someone who is still a bit of a newb despite how long I've been playing, yet at the same time know how things go in the auction house. It's easy to see how so many genes if not all just become fodder after a certain amount of time. And I understand that the randomness reduces the control one has, but what is the point of that if everything is eventually given to you on a platter because people have already got settled lines of dragons with the specific primal they wanted. You'll feel more joy and excitement past that annoying frustration of waiting for the one dragon that will have just the right eyes.

I know that this seems like a downgrade due to the fact there was a process to the goal, but now it is just a waiting game, but that waiting really adds to the end goal reward. Besides you'd probably get used to seeing primals as the new every day gene by now anyway if we were allowed to even have slight control over the results.

I originally hoped this was genetic based, because at first I just wanted the new cool thing. But in the end, it's better this way.

(I Noticed after my post how long ago this was suggested XD)

Edit: I also think there should be some kind of reset for bad eyes, just like how there are remove tertiary/secondary/primary genes on a dragon. Not everyone wants their beautiful derg to have eyes running down its side lmao.
Points I see here as things are right now:

Cons
Can't get the dragon you want.
Can't breed toward a specified goal during a project.
Get's in the way of otherwise good looking dragons.
Overall, bad for projects

Pros
Prevents the eyes from eventually being bred to a point where they will become fodder, thus reducing their price.
Gives new players a way to get off the ground with the chance they will get something amazing out of the blue.

The reverse will be the case if the suggestion is implemented.

I personally am not in support with the suggestion, only after I read both sides though. The reason being as someone who is still a bit of a newb despite how long I've been playing, yet at the same time know how things go in the auction house. It's easy to see how so many genes if not all just become fodder after a certain amount of time. And I understand that the randomness reduces the control one has, but what is the point of that if everything is eventually given to you on a platter because people have already got settled lines of dragons with the specific primal they wanted. You'll feel more joy and excitement past that annoying frustration of waiting for the one dragon that will have just the right eyes.

I know that this seems like a downgrade due to the fact there was a process to the goal, but now it is just a waiting game, but that waiting really adds to the end goal reward. Besides you'd probably get used to seeing primals as the new every day gene by now anyway if we were allowed to even have slight control over the results.

I originally hoped this was genetic based, because at first I just wanted the new cool thing. But in the end, it's better this way.

(I Noticed after my post how long ago this was suggested XD)

Edit: I also think there should be some kind of reset for bad eyes, just like how there are remove tertiary/secondary/primary genes on a dragon. Not everyone wants their beautiful derg to have eyes running down its side lmao.
@PrincessNorn

There actually is a common eye vial in the MP. So you can 'revert' your dragon back to normal, however, if you happen to like a different natural eye type, you are pretty much out of luck.
@PrincessNorn

There actually is a common eye vial in the MP. So you can 'revert' your dragon back to normal, however, if you happen to like a different natural eye type, you are pretty much out of luck.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
It's nice it hear that's a thing, didn't really know x3

I'm not very up to date with things so I miss that kind of stuff sometimes lol.
It's nice it hear that's a thing, didn't really know x3

I'm not very up to date with things so I miss that kind of stuff sometimes lol.
Natural eyes really need to have vials so you can apply eyes to older dragons, but if we can't get that then at least having some control for breeding the dragon you want would be nice.

Perhaps there's a higher chance offspring will have their parents eyes but it's still mostly random?

Parents with common eyes could have 25% chance of passing it down to their kin, so if both parents had the same eyes that's 50% chance of inheriting common eyes and 50% chance of being completely random.

Rarer eyes such as primal could have a much lower chance, say like 5% so you could get it up to a 10% chance. If you're trying to breed your dream dragon with rare eyes than this would actually give you a chance.

Unnatural eyes (glowing, dark sclera) would have a 0% chance of being passed on, when breeding two unnatural dragons eyes would be 100% random like they are now.

Rare eyes like primal and multi are already selling for near fodder price for undesirable hatchlings so I'm personally not to worked up about eyes losing market value. Adding some control might actually boost eye value because they'd be an important factor in breeding projects and pairs. Getting parents with the right eyes to breed your dream dragon would actually be an additional challenge and much more enjoyable than having no control and just waiting to get lucky.
Natural eyes really need to have vials so you can apply eyes to older dragons, but if we can't get that then at least having some control for breeding the dragon you want would be nice.

Perhaps there's a higher chance offspring will have their parents eyes but it's still mostly random?

Parents with common eyes could have 25% chance of passing it down to their kin, so if both parents had the same eyes that's 50% chance of inheriting common eyes and 50% chance of being completely random.

Rarer eyes such as primal could have a much lower chance, say like 5% so you could get it up to a 10% chance. If you're trying to breed your dream dragon with rare eyes than this would actually give you a chance.

Unnatural eyes (glowing, dark sclera) would have a 0% chance of being passed on, when breeding two unnatural dragons eyes would be 100% random like they are now.

Rare eyes like primal and multi are already selling for near fodder price for undesirable hatchlings so I'm personally not to worked up about eyes losing market value. Adding some control might actually boost eye value because they'd be an important factor in breeding projects and pairs. Getting parents with the right eyes to breed your dream dragon would actually be an additional challenge and much more enjoyable than having no control and just waiting to get lucky.
[quote name="SaikiyoLuna" date="2019-05-13 11:15:38" ] Natural eyes really need to have vials so you can apply eyes to older dragons, but if we can't get that then at least having some control for breeding the dragon you want would be nice. Perhaps there's a higher chance offspring will have their parents eyes but it's still mostly random? Parents with common eyes could have 25% chance of passing it down to their kin, so if both parents had the same eyes that's 50% chance of inheriting common eyes and 50% chance of being completely random. Rarer eyes such as primal could have a much lower chance, say like 5% so you could get it up to a 10% chance. If you're trying to breed your dream dragon with rare eyes than this would actually give you a chance. Unnatural eyes (glowing, dark sclera) would have a 0% chance of being passed on, when breeding two unnatural dragons eyes would be 100% random like they are now. Rare eyes like primal and multi are already selling for near fodder price for undesirable hatchlings so I'm personally not to worked up about eyes losing market value. Adding some control might actually boost eye value because they'd be an important factor in breeding projects and pairs. Getting parents with the right eyes to breed your dream dragon would actually be an additional challenge and much more enjoyable than having no control and just waiting to get lucky. [/quote] I honestly don't think this would help, at all. The bulk of dragons have common eyes, because they came into existence prior to the eye-update and because there's already approx a 50% chance of hatching common eyes on a dragon. So your chances of finding a dragon with the right non-common eyes that matches the other characteristics you need for a breeding project are potentially slim to nil already and making eyes a necessary factor in outcome will only make breeding projects even harder, and the eye update already did that to an absurd degree. It would in many cases come down choosing between a dragon that matches what you need color/gene/breed-wise, or one who has better eyes for meeting your breeding goal but will make getting there harder because it doesn't match the other traits you need. And consider Goat. Over 50 million dragons were excluded from that one and it's [b]breeding only[/b]. What are the chances that you'll find a goat eyed dragon (let alone two!) that also has the other qualities you want if you have a breeding project? I've got a current breeding project for a goat eyed dragon, for it I want a Twilight/Fog/Iris dragon, a color combo that has only 5 active dragons, 16 total. And I want the goal to be a coatl, which narrows my options even further, there are 0 coatl or wildclaw matching those colors. So what are the odds I'll find anything even kind of close that already has goat eyes? Because it's breeding only and my color requirements are specific, to succeed I need to create two unrelated dragons with Twilight/Fog/Iris and then breed them over and over [i]and over[/i] 'til RNG cooperates and I get a goat hatchling. If I needed at least one of them [i]to already be[/i] a goat to have a decent chance of that happening that becomes even harder to accomplish. And the eye update already potentially added years to the length of breeding projects that require a specific eye outcome.
SaikiyoLuna wrote on 2019-05-13 11:15:38:

I honestly don't think this would help, at all. The bulk of dragons have common eyes, because they came into existence prior to the eye-update and because there's already approx a 50% chance of hatching common eyes on a dragon. So your chances of finding a dragon with the right non-common eyes that matches the other characteristics you need for a breeding project are potentially slim to nil already and making eyes a necessary factor in outcome will only make breeding projects even harder, and the eye update already did that to an absurd degree. It would in many cases come down choosing between a dragon that matches what you need color/gene/breed-wise, or one who has better eyes for meeting your breeding goal but will make getting there harder because it doesn't match the other traits you need.
And consider Goat. Over 50 million dragons were excluded from that one and it's breeding only. What are the chances that you'll find a goat eyed dragon (let alone two!) that also has the other qualities you want if you have a breeding project?

I've got a current breeding project for a goat eyed dragon, for it I want a Twilight/Fog/Iris dragon, a color combo that has only 5 active dragons, 16 total. And I want the goal to be a coatl, which narrows my options even further, there are 0 coatl or wildclaw matching those colors. So what are the odds I'll find anything even kind of close that already has goat eyes?

Because it's breeding only and my color requirements are specific, to succeed I need to create two unrelated dragons with Twilight/Fog/Iris and then breed them over and over and over 'til RNG cooperates and I get a goat hatchling. If I needed at least one of them to already be a goat to have a decent chance of that happening that becomes even harder to accomplish. And the eye update already potentially added years to the length of breeding projects that require a specific eye outcome.
1 2