Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Dragon Breed Development
1 2 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 158 159
AAAAAH I am all about ancient breeds! Its everything I've ever wanted in a dragon sim! Who cares about putting a shirt on the ancient when it can have several heads! [emoji=ridgeback love] Poor water flight! Where is water dad
AAAAAH I am all about ancient breeds! Its everything I've ever wanted in a dragon sim! Who cares about putting a shirt on the ancient when it can have several heads!

Poor water flight! Where is water dad
[quote name="Hol" date="2019-04-19 02:31:48" ] [quote]With these dragons not depending on item artwork nor regular gene updates, they could go through a similar trend to the gene releases: the first few dragons will look great, and then as time goes on they grow more and more rushed, sloppy and unfinished to keep up with the demand and hype.[/quote] Why yes, Pinstripe/Trail looks incredibly sloppy and unfinished. (lol) The fact that the developers are so gracious that treasure genes are looking better than gem genes, is that your complaint? Jupiter looks bad and always has, but that's one miss out of [i]twenty-seven[/i]. Besides, some people enjoy it. Isn't that enough? Snappers are generally unpopular but some players love 'em. Isn't that enough? There will be an Ancient that you don't like (perhaps several) that other people will. It's not going to destroy the dragon picture game. [/quote] Its Taste. Fair and Simple. Its not for you, and thats fine - no Gene is something 100% of the Playerbase will Enjoy.
Hol wrote on 2019-04-19 02:31:48:
Quote:
With these dragons not depending on item artwork nor regular gene updates, they could go through a similar trend to the gene releases: the first few dragons will look great, and then as time goes on they grow more and more rushed, sloppy and unfinished to keep up with the demand and hype.

Why yes, Pinstripe/Trail looks incredibly sloppy and unfinished. (lol) The fact that the developers are so gracious that treasure genes are looking better than gem genes, is that your complaint?

Jupiter looks bad and always has, but that's one miss out of twenty-seven. Besides, some people enjoy it. Isn't that enough?

Snappers are generally unpopular but some players love 'em. Isn't that enough?

There will be an Ancient that you don't like (perhaps several) that other people will. It's not going to destroy the dragon picture game.

Its Taste. Fair and Simple. Its not for you, and thats fine - no Gene is something 100% of the Playerbase will Enjoy.
light_banner_fry4uqmfhpxa.png
OKAY SO TIDEDAD IS STILL ALIVE OH THANK GOD

also ancient breeds sounds REALLY cool
OKAY SO TIDEDAD IS STILL ALIVE OH THANK GOD

also ancient breeds sounds REALLY cool
To toss in another point regarding the Ancient Breeds; I don't particularly see a reason why they're being given their own unique gene pool per breed. This whole post has been about the admin team expressing the degree of work it takes to craft a new breed, yet it feels as though you're being ambitious and creating extra work for yourselves with purposely designing and drawing out brand new genes for these species. Literally what is wrong with sticking to the old genes which have already been designed and could easily be drawn out for ancient breeds every now and again? Say - instead of working on exclusive genes for each ancient - you introduce them with a couple of genes that are already in-game, and slowly make more 'modern genes' available for them as time goes on, if you'd like to add onto the pool.

I feel as though the player base will end up liking the unique genes you bring out for these new species and will start rallying to have them introduced to modern breeds as well. I guess it's a cool idea in theory to have specific genes for specific dragons, and I can see how that would work within the lore, but... I can't support this practice as an actual feature. All of this feels as though you're punishing the fan base by bringing out these super limited breeds all because we enjoy and ask for progress on new dragons. And honestly? I'm certain all of us would rather have a new breed over new features/genes/apparel coming out every month or so. I think this drastic an implementation should have been asked of us via a poll or a similar feedback feature. I fear that new modern breeds are going to be dropped altogether and you'll only bring out ancient ones, which is worrying for the future of the site. As it stands; I... don't think of ancient breeds as an actual new dragon breed with their said mentioned drawbacks.

As for the workload that comes with making a new breed with all the apparel, colours, genes and elements they have; it just feels as though the admins didn't think about this before introducing loads of genes and apparel onto the site. Like. Honestly you sort of brought this onto yourselves. I just hope this can be a learning experience for you all to make better decisions in the future. And I also sincerely hope changes will be made to ancient breeds.
To toss in another point regarding the Ancient Breeds; I don't particularly see a reason why they're being given their own unique gene pool per breed. This whole post has been about the admin team expressing the degree of work it takes to craft a new breed, yet it feels as though you're being ambitious and creating extra work for yourselves with purposely designing and drawing out brand new genes for these species. Literally what is wrong with sticking to the old genes which have already been designed and could easily be drawn out for ancient breeds every now and again? Say - instead of working on exclusive genes for each ancient - you introduce them with a couple of genes that are already in-game, and slowly make more 'modern genes' available for them as time goes on, if you'd like to add onto the pool.

I feel as though the player base will end up liking the unique genes you bring out for these new species and will start rallying to have them introduced to modern breeds as well. I guess it's a cool idea in theory to have specific genes for specific dragons, and I can see how that would work within the lore, but... I can't support this practice as an actual feature. All of this feels as though you're punishing the fan base by bringing out these super limited breeds all because we enjoy and ask for progress on new dragons. And honestly? I'm certain all of us would rather have a new breed over new features/genes/apparel coming out every month or so. I think this drastic an implementation should have been asked of us via a poll or a similar feedback feature. I fear that new modern breeds are going to be dropped altogether and you'll only bring out ancient ones, which is worrying for the future of the site. As it stands; I... don't think of ancient breeds as an actual new dragon breed with their said mentioned drawbacks.

As for the workload that comes with making a new breed with all the apparel, colours, genes and elements they have; it just feels as though the admins didn't think about this before introducing loads of genes and apparel onto the site. Like. Honestly you sort of brought this onto yourselves. I just hope this can be a learning experience for you all to make better decisions in the future. And I also sincerely hope changes will be made to ancient breeds.
tak_adopt_by_sherushi_by_thepokemon123941-dabq36r.png
[quote name="Hol" date="2019-04-19 02:31:48" ] [quote]With these dragons not depending on item artwork nor regular gene updates, they could go through a similar trend to the gene releases: the first few dragons will look great, and then as time goes on they grow more and more rushed, sloppy and unfinished to keep up with the demand and hype.[/quote] Why yes, Pinstripe/Trail looks incredibly sloppy and unfinished. (lol) The fact that the developers are so gracious that treasure genes are looking better than gem genes, is that your complaint? Jupiter looks bad and always has, but that's one miss out of [i]twenty-seven[/i]. Besides, some people enjoy it. Isn't that enough? Snappers are generally unpopular but some players love 'em. Isn't that enough? There will be an Ancient that you don't like (perhaps several) that other people will. It's not going to destroy the dragon picture game. [/quote] @Hol ... No? I'm referring to inexcusably [i]bad[/i] genes such as the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/1705545/1#post_16738291]fiasco that was Thylacine[/url] at release, the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1734727/109#post_17443782]shocking atrocity that was Stained[/url](it's a gem scroll, mind you), the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1241009/1]underwhelming rush job that was Spines[/url] and [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2078661/33#post_24709371]visible inconsistent, sloppy art quality of Alloy[/url]. Oh and let's not forget [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2459067/1]the eyes[/url], that was seriously infuriating. In these cases, "oh it's not for everyone" doesn't cut it, at all. Sure these genes are bound to make [i]some[/i] cool combos(I have dragons with them myself that just happened to look really good) and there are people who genuinely like them, but that's no excuse for such a bad art quality coming from a professional art team in a "dragon picture game". Hell when I started playing FR the only tertiaries available were Gembond and Circuit. I hated both of them, BUT I considered them perfectly fine genes art-wise and could understand how others would enjoy them. I know tastes are different from player to player. Genes like Stained, though? That's not a matter of taste in the slightest, it's just bad. Besides those examples, there are also other genes that were mostly [i]decent[/i], but had a very... lacking/questionable execution like Filigree, Jupiter/Saturn(as you mentioned), Hypnotic, Capsule and etc. As you said, those are cases where taste is definitely a factor. Many can be perfectly happy with them, but there's always a lingering feeling that it could have been executed much better if given more effort. This is why I say the trend of the genes being released seemed to drop quality with time... although I'll say this, recently they seem to be getting better again. I absolutely LOVED Bee at release and the new Laced/Edged are very nice too. I just hope they keep this up even with the ancient breeds. @Calhaora Ah I see what you mean, I'm not a fan of nonconstructive comments like that in the slightest either. Honestly, though, most negative comments I often see are people making reasonable complaints and expressing their concern. That's why it doesn't usually bother me to see players being rather pessimistic.
Hol wrote on 2019-04-19 02:31:48:
Quote:
With these dragons not depending on item artwork nor regular gene updates, they could go through a similar trend to the gene releases: the first few dragons will look great, and then as time goes on they grow more and more rushed, sloppy and unfinished to keep up with the demand and hype.

Why yes, Pinstripe/Trail looks incredibly sloppy and unfinished. (lol) The fact that the developers are so gracious that treasure genes are looking better than gem genes, is that your complaint?

Jupiter looks bad and always has, but that's one miss out of twenty-seven. Besides, some people enjoy it. Isn't that enough?

Snappers are generally unpopular but some players love 'em. Isn't that enough?

There will be an Ancient that you don't like (perhaps several) that other people will. It's not going to destroy the dragon picture game.
@Hol
... No? I'm referring to inexcusably bad genes such as the fiasco that was Thylacine at release, the shocking atrocity that was Stained(it's a gem scroll, mind you), the underwhelming rush job that was Spines and visible inconsistent, sloppy art quality of Alloy. Oh and let's not forget the eyes, that was seriously infuriating. In these cases, "oh it's not for everyone" doesn't cut it, at all. Sure these genes are bound to make some cool combos(I have dragons with them myself that just happened to look really good) and there are people who genuinely like them, but that's no excuse for such a bad art quality coming from a professional art team in a "dragon picture game".

Hell when I started playing FR the only tertiaries available were Gembond and Circuit. I hated both of them, BUT I considered them perfectly fine genes art-wise and could understand how others would enjoy them. I know tastes are different from player to player. Genes like Stained, though? That's not a matter of taste in the slightest, it's just bad.

Besides those examples, there are also other genes that were mostly decent, but had a very... lacking/questionable execution like Filigree, Jupiter/Saturn(as you mentioned), Hypnotic, Capsule and etc. As you said, those are cases where taste is definitely a factor. Many can be perfectly happy with them, but there's always a lingering feeling that it could have been executed much better if given more effort. This is why I say the trend of the genes being released seemed to drop quality with time... although I'll say this, recently they seem to be getting better again. I absolutely LOVED Bee at release and the new Laced/Edged are very nice too. I just hope they keep this up even with the ancient breeds.

@Calhaora
Ah I see what you mean, I'm not a fan of nonconstructive comments like that in the slightest either. Honestly, though, most negative comments I often see are people making reasonable complaints and expressing their concern. That's why it doesn't usually bother me to see players being rather pessimistic.
ssjS89N.png
DUDE IM SO EXCITED
DUDE IM SO EXCITED
dhJpGiJ.gif
Thank you for being open and honest with us all about your developments! I am very excited and pleased with how well you guys have progressed with Flight Rising as a whole. Many games I have played before have always gotten ruined with bad new updates; but your updates are always exciting and awesome! I hope you can continue to develop the game as excellently as you have been. Thank you!

Honestly can't say how excited I am for the Ancient Dragons. I personally think that no cross breeding with them is great!
Thank you for being open and honest with us all about your developments! I am very excited and pleased with how well you guys have progressed with Flight Rising as a whole. Many games I have played before have always gotten ruined with bad new updates; but your updates are always exciting and awesome! I hope you can continue to develop the game as excellently as you have been. Thank you!

Honestly can't say how excited I am for the Ancient Dragons. I personally think that no cross breeding with them is great!
TundraFrost
Wow!! Ancient dragons?! I would have never thought of that! Good work on ya'll's part!!! So proud of how far flight rising is going!!! Also please don't burn yourselves out!!! <3
Wow!! Ancient dragons?! I would have never thought of that! Good work on ya'll's part!!! So proud of how far flight rising is going!!! Also please don't burn yourselves out!!! <3
Maybe Akiri can make one of the genes for the new ancient breeds? Or make a breed? I would love to have one of those in my lair :3
Maybe Akiri can make one of the genes for the new ancient breeds? Or make a breed? I would love to have one of those in my lair :3
CtM8cLF.png librariesrpunk
FR +3
aka Ghost
irregular_nekomata.png
I just did the math. 2,600 (rough # of apparel at this point)*28 (male/female of each breed)=72,800 (apparel for all Modern Breeds at this moment) 27 (primary)+27 (secondary)+23 (tertiary)=77 Modern Breed Genes 77*3 (male/female/hatchling)=231 Gene templates per Modern Breed 231*14 (# of individual Modern Breeds on the site)=3,234 templates for all Modern dragons present at this time 3,234*177 (colors)=572,418 (present Modern Breed genes in all colors) Total art at the moment for all present Modern Dragons (apparel+genes) - 572,418+72,800=645,218 [emoji=coatl scared] That's insane. So for a new Modern Breed to enter at this moment: 5,200 (apparel for new Modern male/female) 231 (template for new Modern Breed)*177 (all colors)=40,887 (present genes in all colors for new Modern Breed) 40,887+5,200=46,087 pieces of art for a new Modern Breed at this moment. ...No wonder why this takes so long..
I just did the math.

2,600 (rough # of apparel at this point)*28 (male/female of each breed)=72,800 (apparel for all Modern Breeds at this moment)

27 (primary)+27 (secondary)+23 (tertiary)=77 Modern Breed Genes
77*3 (male/female/hatchling)=231 Gene templates per Modern Breed
231*14 (# of individual Modern Breeds on the site)=3,234 templates for all Modern dragons present at this time
3,234*177 (colors)=572,418 (present Modern Breed genes in all colors)

Total art at the moment for all present Modern Dragons (apparel+genes) - 572,418+72,800=645,218

That's insane. So for a new Modern Breed to enter at this moment:

5,200 (apparel for new Modern male/female)
231 (template for new Modern Breed)*177 (all colors)=40,887 (present genes in all colors for new Modern Breed)

40,887+5,200=46,087 pieces of art for a new Modern Breed at this moment.

...No wonder why this takes so long..
eP6ZvqL.png Flight Journey Lightning|Wind|Arcane|Nature|Shadow|Fire|Ice
Flight Project|Gen2 Imps
fkUgl3H.png
Wuxgpxj.png
1 2 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 158 159