Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | How to shade?
I know how to shade, but I can never figure out where to put the shadows. I guess I’m not good at imagining figure in 3D. If someone has a tutorial that isn’t for shading, but more learning where to put the shadows — this is hard to word, I already understand how shadows themselves work and where to put them, I just never...can? Okay as an example, I know that the ear of a cat is a complex, 3D shape, but I don’t know how far to extend the shadow, how dark it should be, etc. It becomes especially difficult on snouts. If a dog is facing forward, how far up do I put the shadow on the opposite side of the light where the snout meets the face? I found these images if it helps someone explain, because they make sense to me, I just can’t apply it to my drawings well. I have a hard time taking a flat drawing and seeing shape in it, especially with shapes as complex as this. [img]https://i.ibb.co/jVpNQP6/18-E92-FAF-3-DD6-423-E-8361-C96-EF947-CA5-E.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.ibb.co/YQCFKhG/B320229-B-0233-4245-8639-B40-D6-EA1-A467.jpg[/img] EDIT: If someone is willing to coach me through PM, maybe like a ‘shade this’ kind of learning, I would appreciate that as well!
I know how to shade, but I can never figure out where to put the shadows. I guess I’m not good at imagining figure in 3D. If someone has a tutorial that isn’t for shading, but more learning where to put the shadows — this is hard to word, I already understand how shadows themselves work and where to put them, I just never...can?

Okay as an example, I know that the ear of a cat is a complex, 3D shape, but I don’t know how far to extend the shadow, how dark it should be, etc. It becomes especially difficult on snouts. If a dog is facing forward, how far up do I put the shadow on the opposite side of the light where the snout meets the face?

I found these images if it helps someone explain, because they make sense to me, I just can’t apply it to my drawings well. I have a hard time taking a flat drawing and seeing shape in it, especially with shapes as complex as this.

18-E92-FAF-3-DD6-423-E-8361-C96-EF947-CA5-E.jpg
B320229-B-0233-4245-8639-B40-D6-EA1-A467.jpg

EDIT: If someone is willing to coach me through PM, maybe like a ‘shade this’ kind of learning, I would appreciate that as well!
Wishlist?

Signature under construction
@Aphelion16

Make a 3D model of what you're drawing, either on the computer like in your example or in clay. That way, you can move the lighting around and see exactly where the shadows fall. If you're drawing something common (like a cat) you can use a plastic toy for reference - you don't have to actually make it yourself.
@Aphelion16

Make a 3D model of what you're drawing, either on the computer like in your example or in clay. That way, you can move the lighting around and see exactly where the shadows fall. If you're drawing something common (like a cat) you can use a plastic toy for reference - you don't have to actually make it yourself.
@Aphelion16

how deep and dark and what color shadows are is going to depend on the color and intensity of the light source, and how closely-placed to each other different objects are, since they'll reflect light indirectly. this is going to sound like a broken record of every art advice ever on the planet but practicing, and especially practicing from life or references, is going to be your best friend. aboveclouds' idea with the plastic toy is a really good idea because you can play around with different light sources and angles and see how it affects the subject. if you observe enough, it becomes part of your visual repertoire and you can begin to put them on images from imagination more confidently.

it's also going to help to pay close attention to volume in your initial drawings! it's a lot harder to shade things that look flat bc shading is how our brains interpret depth anyway.

you can pm me if you'd like to talk more; i love talking about lighttttt

alternatively james gurney (of dinotopia fame) has a really good collection of short articles (often with pictures) on his blog gurney journey. i definitely recommend checking out his other tags, too.(he has a book too but let's be real books are money and blogs are free).
@Aphelion16

how deep and dark and what color shadows are is going to depend on the color and intensity of the light source, and how closely-placed to each other different objects are, since they'll reflect light indirectly. this is going to sound like a broken record of every art advice ever on the planet but practicing, and especially practicing from life or references, is going to be your best friend. aboveclouds' idea with the plastic toy is a really good idea because you can play around with different light sources and angles and see how it affects the subject. if you observe enough, it becomes part of your visual repertoire and you can begin to put them on images from imagination more confidently.

it's also going to help to pay close attention to volume in your initial drawings! it's a lot harder to shade things that look flat bc shading is how our brains interpret depth anyway.

you can pm me if you'd like to talk more; i love talking about lighttttt

alternatively james gurney (of dinotopia fame) has a really good collection of short articles (often with pictures) on his blog gurney journey. i definitely recommend checking out his other tags, too.(he has a book too but let's be real books are money and blogs are free).