Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Make a Mobile Friendly site
1 2 3 4 5 6
@mohenjo

I appreciate your response, thanks! It’s nice to hear what you think of it, and how you think it could be improved. I have just a few things to say in response

1, one purpose of MQ is to eliminate scrolling to the side, and to make it so the positioning fits inside the screen (unless someone zooms in). Taking heed of your advice, it would likely go the opposite of your recommendation

in that if people want to zoom in they could, while the 5 rows was displayed within the regular screen boundaries

2, up at the top would definitely be a good placement, and I did think of that, but since a phones regular clock is usually there I thought it would clash, and seem poorly designed.

What placement did you imagine yourself? Originally I had it on the bar with the messages, but I wanted to keep the arcane banner and unfortunately it was in the way :- (

3, I believe a toggle would take just as much time? Definitely not sure though. The arrow (or whatever represented it) would also be awkward to design, as it would put the dragons off Center, instead of main focus

But maybe that’s just me!

4, I kept the game tip because that’s often where the Staff post announcements for important news (such as skin contests) and I believe that’s an important piece for users who are explicitly mobile

@mohenjo

I appreciate your response, thanks! It’s nice to hear what you think of it, and how you think it could be improved. I have just a few things to say in response

1, one purpose of MQ is to eliminate scrolling to the side, and to make it so the positioning fits inside the screen (unless someone zooms in). Taking heed of your advice, it would likely go the opposite of your recommendation

in that if people want to zoom in they could, while the 5 rows was displayed within the regular screen boundaries

2, up at the top would definitely be a good placement, and I did think of that, but since a phones regular clock is usually there I thought it would clash, and seem poorly designed.

What placement did you imagine yourself? Originally I had it on the bar with the messages, but I wanted to keep the arcane banner and unfortunately it was in the way :- (

3, I believe a toggle would take just as much time? Definitely not sure though. The arrow (or whatever represented it) would also be awkward to design, as it would put the dragons off Center, instead of main focus

But maybe that’s just me!

4, I kept the game tip because that’s often where the Staff post announcements for important news (such as skin contests) and I believe that’s an important piece for users who are explicitly mobile

@PoIarized

Where would you have the navigation instead? As in what would be your ideal mobile setup (meaning one that constrains to phone screen proportions)

It would be especially rad if you had a (true) mobile site that you use of that doesn’t bother you! :^ D
@PoIarized

Where would you have the navigation instead? As in what would be your ideal mobile setup (meaning one that constrains to phone screen proportions)

It would be especially rad if you had a (true) mobile site that you use of that doesn’t bother you! :^ D
1) I agree most sites try not to have side scrolling, but I don't see why it's such a big deal, but that depends person to person. The side scrolling could be done to only move the dragons, and not actually scroll the site to the side, that way it feels less like it's just zoomed in.

2) The messages, friends, alerts could be moved to the side, and the time could be added next to it.

It could also be added to the top area ( under the Flight Rising logo) to look more like a typical phone clock. If this was the case, the Users online could be placed next to the mail, friends, and alerts.

3) I mean, you swipe left, and the side menu slides out of hiding (toggles). This would mean you don't need to scroll all the way to the top to click the menu, you can access it from any position on the site. It would be similar to how iphones can be swiped at the bottom to show the light, sound, wifi, etc. settings, it would just be on the left side.

4) That makes sense, but users in a discord I'm on were saying it's useless, so I though I'd bring that up.

Heck, time and players online could even have an area under that that looks similar.
1) I agree most sites try not to have side scrolling, but I don't see why it's such a big deal, but that depends person to person. The side scrolling could be done to only move the dragons, and not actually scroll the site to the side, that way it feels less like it's just zoomed in.

2) The messages, friends, alerts could be moved to the side, and the time could be added next to it.

It could also be added to the top area ( under the Flight Rising logo) to look more like a typical phone clock. If this was the case, the Users online could be placed next to the mail, friends, and alerts.

3) I mean, you swipe left, and the side menu slides out of hiding (toggles). This would mean you don't need to scroll all the way to the top to click the menu, you can access it from any position on the site. It would be similar to how iphones can be swiped at the bottom to show the light, sound, wifi, etc. settings, it would just be on the left side.

4) That makes sense, but users in a discord I'm on were saying it's useless, so I though I'd bring that up.

Heck, time and players online could even have an area under that that looks similar.
Need a fodder trainer build? Try one of these:
Kelp Beds - Leviathan Leveler - 2 Fodder Trainer
GLR + Mire - Ghire Gorer - 2 Fodder
Mire - Mire Mauler - 2 Fodder
GLR - Ruin Wrecker - 2 Fodder Trainer
Boreal Wood- Boreal Banisher - 2 Fodder Trainer
Harpy's Roost - Roost Rustler - 2 Fodder Trainer
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
@Morenjo

1) I’m not sure what the true inner workings of the choice are, if there are any, but if there were I’d have to guess it would be so the phone knew you were dragging something, versus trying to scroll ?

2) Would you keep both the time and users online? Under the logo sounds fun though, It sounds like it could look interesting

3) Oh yes! Now I see what you mean. I did some research and there is something that just came out in css called Snap Points that does pretty much exactly what you’re saying, so that’s exciting!

It would definitely be much better than a ham menu, so... Unfortunately we are only left to hope that browser support grows by the time Staff get to a mobile site.

I don’t know if you’re into web as well, so I’ll assume you know that ~59% of browsers simply isn’t enough

On a positive note, it seems promising! It appears it only came out in August so nearly 60% support in only 2 months is pretty good!

Edit: Here’s the resource for calculating current browser support: https://caniuse.com/#search=Snap%20points
@Morenjo

1) I’m not sure what the true inner workings of the choice are, if there are any, but if there were I’d have to guess it would be so the phone knew you were dragging something, versus trying to scroll ?

2) Would you keep both the time and users online? Under the logo sounds fun though, It sounds like it could look interesting

3) Oh yes! Now I see what you mean. I did some research and there is something that just came out in css called Snap Points that does pretty much exactly what you’re saying, so that’s exciting!

It would definitely be much better than a ham menu, so... Unfortunately we are only left to hope that browser support grows by the time Staff get to a mobile site.

I don’t know if you’re into web as well, so I’ll assume you know that ~59% of browsers simply isn’t enough

On a positive note, it seems promising! It appears it only came out in August so nearly 60% support in only 2 months is pretty good!

Edit: Here’s the resource for calculating current browser support: https://caniuse.com/#search=Snap%20points
I've done a bit of web development, but I don't know a ton.

1) Browser should be able to tell when and where the user is dragging/scrolling, and using the where, you should be able to have a sub area that scroll instead of the whole page. I'm not entirely sure if a widget for this has been made, but I assume it has (the resource link you posted has an area that scrolls separately to the rest of the site, so something like that, I just don't know how well phone browsers support it).

2) Yeah, I would keep both. Even if you or I don't use something, doesn't mean other users don't either. I use players online to gauge how many other snipers might be online, how fast things might sell, etc.. It has it's uses, so it might as well be in the mobile version as well. I think under the game tips would be a nice spot for it.

3) Yeah, looks like snap points would do what I'm talking about. Based on how fast we get updates, I think browsers will support snap points before the devs get around to really tackling the mobile site (they're probably focus on it after the site rewrite is done).
I've done a bit of web development, but I don't know a ton.

1) Browser should be able to tell when and where the user is dragging/scrolling, and using the where, you should be able to have a sub area that scroll instead of the whole page. I'm not entirely sure if a widget for this has been made, but I assume it has (the resource link you posted has an area that scrolls separately to the rest of the site, so something like that, I just don't know how well phone browsers support it).

2) Yeah, I would keep both. Even if you or I don't use something, doesn't mean other users don't either. I use players online to gauge how many other snipers might be online, how fast things might sell, etc.. It has it's uses, so it might as well be in the mobile version as well. I think under the game tips would be a nice spot for it.

3) Yeah, looks like snap points would do what I'm talking about. Based on how fast we get updates, I think browsers will support snap points before the devs get around to really tackling the mobile site (they're probably focus on it after the site rewrite is done).
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
@Mohenjo
I like all of your points!

An interesting thought, if snap points was made available by then it could probably be used instead of page arrows for the lair, that would be fun!

It would also help organize the front page. I tried mocking up that one first but simply had nowhere to put things like the Random Dragon.

(Maybe I’ll adjust my mock-up tomorrow for fun lol)
@Mohenjo
I like all of your points!

An interesting thought, if snap points was made available by then it could probably be used instead of page arrows for the lair, that would be fun!

It would also help organize the front page. I tried mocking up that one first but simply had nowhere to put things like the Random Dragon.

(Maybe I’ll adjust my mock-up tomorrow for fun lol)
Ping me if you do make the mockup, I'd like to give more feedback on it lol
Ping me if you do make the mockup, I'd like to give more feedback on it lol
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
Support! I'd really like to be able to use the site on mobile, but I can't as-is. It's claustrophobic and hard to read. As someone who gets pretty frequent migraines, eye strain is not my friend. So it'd be cool to have something more accessible.
Support! I'd really like to be able to use the site on mobile, but I can't as-is. It's claustrophobic and hard to read. As someone who gets pretty frequent migraines, eye strain is not my friend. So it'd be cool to have something more accessible.
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
[quote name="elfin" date="2018-10-16 10:27:21" ] The mobile version of Facebook is awful. I avoid using it on my phone, whereas FR is 99% usable. If that's what you mean by mobile friendliness than I actively oppose anything similar happening on FR. [/quote] This and pretty much everything that's been said like it. Most of the time I've used the actual website version of something so much, that if a mobile site were added with a different layout, I'd be immediately switching back to the desktop site no matter what. And that's especially the case here as I've been here about 3.3 years. I do technically play on mobile (tablet with connectable keyboard) right now and can say that everything works completely fine (even coli now that the revamp's happened!) aside from the rearrange features outside of coli. I'd love more mobile friendliness, but I don't want a whole new site, personally. Especially if it tends to default to that regardless of screensize(Like mobile Facebook >.>) if the page is reloaded after clicking on it after it's been left up for a longer period of time. Your mockup looks nice, visually. Just getting that out there. I'd just hate to see it, personally, and probably switch to the desktop site regardless. Which, honestly, is kinda a pain in the rear when the coding still sometimes doesn't register that I clicked that. (Again, like mobile Facebook does on occasion.)
elfin wrote on 2018-10-16 10:27:21:
The mobile version of Facebook is awful. I avoid using it on my phone, whereas FR is 99% usable. If that's what you mean by mobile friendliness than I actively oppose anything similar happening on FR.
This and pretty much everything that's been said like it.
Most of the time I've used the actual website version of something so much, that if a mobile site were added with a different layout, I'd be immediately switching back to the desktop site no matter what. And that's especially the case here as I've been here about 3.3 years. I do technically play on mobile (tablet with connectable keyboard) right now and can say that everything works completely fine (even coli now that the revamp's happened!) aside from the rearrange features outside of coli.

I'd love more mobile friendliness, but I don't want a whole new site, personally. Especially if it tends to default to that regardless of screensize(Like mobile Facebook >.>) if the page is reloaded after clicking on it after it's been left up for a longer period of time.

Your mockup looks nice, visually. Just getting that out there.
I'd just hate to see it, personally, and probably switch to the desktop site regardless. Which, honestly, is kinda a pain in the rear when the coding still sometimes doesn't register that I clicked that. (Again, like mobile Facebook does on occasion.)
Sora. Non-Binary, They/He. Members of our system sign off, if no sign off, assume Sora is speaking. Anyone who speaks is an adult
V6tmaNc.pngsmPAAMS.pngLRdLP2V.pngOxagJgG.png
100% support. There are so many pluses to having a mobile friendly site nowadays, whether it be performance, SEO rankings, or just saving users the hassle of having to zoom, especially in form situations. Using FR as is is a little rough imo from a phone, but that might also be because I am not used to it, I'm used to mobile optimized sites. If you all have been mobile browsing for years on this place, then it makes sense you would prefer it to stay the same! It's amazing how people can get used to using something a certain way, nothing wrong with that.

Mobile opt in/opt out would be so easy to implement, especially on a user by user basis. The mobile layout is a different story - it's hard work, haha, styling a website is a pain. But I def think it would be worth it in the long run!

Just my front end dev 2 cents.
100% support. There are so many pluses to having a mobile friendly site nowadays, whether it be performance, SEO rankings, or just saving users the hassle of having to zoom, especially in form situations. Using FR as is is a little rough imo from a phone, but that might also be because I am not used to it, I'm used to mobile optimized sites. If you all have been mobile browsing for years on this place, then it makes sense you would prefer it to stay the same! It's amazing how people can get used to using something a certain way, nothing wrong with that.

Mobile opt in/opt out would be so easy to implement, especially on a user by user basis. The mobile layout is a different story - it's hard work, haha, styling a website is a pain. But I def think it would be worth it in the long run!

Just my front end dev 2 cents.
iADMnTS.png 3NUbQt6.png
1 2 3 4 5 6