Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Combining Tertiary Genes
1 2 3 4 5
What would the fourth color even be? The same as the tert? The same as the secondary? The same as a primary? Completely random? No matter what it is, it would ruin existing dragons.

Rather than trying to come up with a complicated method of combining tert genes, I would just rather see suggestions for new, unique terts. Like a "filigree/lace" could instead be suggested as a "full body filigree but without the gems, and edging around the dragon's wings like vines" something new, but it would give a pattern to the same areas.
What would the fourth color even be? The same as the tert? The same as the secondary? The same as a primary? Completely random? No matter what it is, it would ruin existing dragons.

Rather than trying to come up with a complicated method of combining tert genes, I would just rather see suggestions for new, unique terts. Like a "filigree/lace" could instead be suggested as a "full body filigree but without the gems, and edging around the dragon's wings like vines" something new, but it would give a pattern to the same areas.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
@iratePanthera

Hmm, that's an interesting idea too. The main problems I can see are:

- If all existing tert scrolls are allowed to be combined, that would mean each potential 'frankenscroll' would need to exist as a unique item - two items, actually, since each combo would need to have one version with each gene as the 'real'/dominant gene. Which means, unless I'm mathing incorrectly, 800+ new scrolls, and that's just with the current terts.

- This would need to be incorporated into the scrying workshop somehow (no one would want to go to all this effort unless they could preview the combo first).
@iratePanthera

Hmm, that's an interesting idea too. The main problems I can see are:

- If all existing tert scrolls are allowed to be combined, that would mean each potential 'frankenscroll' would need to exist as a unique item - two items, actually, since each combo would need to have one version with each gene as the 'real'/dominant gene. Which means, unless I'm mathing incorrectly, 800+ new scrolls, and that's just with the current terts.

- This would need to be incorporated into the scrying workshop somehow (no one would want to go to all this effort unless they could preview the combo first).
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
@Lara8 ;; Oh that's a good point. I was honestly picturing the items like the fake achievement, so it's obvs which is the "real" tert, but that would probs be an issue for people who have multiple tert scrolls. Which would then necessitate at least minorly altered pictures, not even touching on the coding... hm. =/

I dunno, regardless of what option, all would take a lot of recoding, and all would require some fiddling with the workshop.

Not only that, but I didn't even consider ppl who might want the terts to be separate colours, which would absolutely be a thing if you could play around in the scrying workshop with it.

Honestly, as much as the idea is interesting, I'm... not 100% sure it's feasible? Like it sounds awesome and would sure be neat, but it would be a looong project if the staff ever decided to go for it.
@Lara8 ;; Oh that's a good point. I was honestly picturing the items like the fake achievement, so it's obvs which is the "real" tert, but that would probs be an issue for people who have multiple tert scrolls. Which would then necessitate at least minorly altered pictures, not even touching on the coding... hm. =/

I dunno, regardless of what option, all would take a lot of recoding, and all would require some fiddling with the workshop.

Not only that, but I didn't even consider ppl who might want the terts to be separate colours, which would absolutely be a thing if you could play around in the scrying workshop with it.

Honestly, as much as the idea is interesting, I'm... not 100% sure it's feasible? Like it sounds awesome and would sure be neat, but it would be a looong project if the staff ever decided to go for it.
VsoSnU5.png
@iratePanthera

Yeah, for the scrolls to even exist in your hoard, and particularly if they're sellable/transferable to other players, I think they'd need a unique item ID.

And agreed, I don't think anyone sees this as more than a far-future project, especially because, as gemajgall said, there are lots of potential new genes they could make instead. (Although that would primarily be an art effort, while quaternary/combined genes would be a coding effort.)
@iratePanthera

Yeah, for the scrolls to even exist in your hoard, and particularly if they're sellable/transferable to other players, I think they'd need a unique item ID.

And agreed, I don't think anyone sees this as more than a far-future project, especially because, as gemajgall said, there are lots of potential new genes they could make instead. (Although that would primarily be an art effort, while quaternary/combined genes would be a coding effort.)
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
[quote name="DragonSage" date="2018-09-20 17:36:02" ] No thanks I'd rather they create new genes rather than blend two different Tertiary together and cleaning them up. Nor do I agree with the suggestion of having two tertiary slots, since many players do not consider basic as a real gene, thus for many players having a dragon with a basic gene in one of the tertiary slots would be considered incomplete two tertiary slots would likely result in overly busy dragon [/quote] This sounds intersting, but I have to agree with this. For some terts it just wouldn't work, and how would they decide to layer. What if I wanted crackle overlaid with Ringlets? What if I wanted stained behind ringlets (so that ringlest show up in the unfiltered color against a dragon that has the stained gene)? Would they have to redo any genes, or would it just be literally layering one gene over another with no clean up at all? Honestly, for FR, I think three genes are enough. While there would be some gorgeous things if we could layer genes together, I feel that the cons, which include a workload I would rather FR used elsewhere, outweigh the benefits of it. I also don't want even MORE gene slots to have to worry about and even if all existing dragons had only the normal three, there are still future dragons to worry about as well.
DragonSage wrote on 2018-09-20 17:36:02:
No thanks I'd rather they create new genes rather than blend two different Tertiary together and cleaning them up. Nor do I agree with the suggestion of having two tertiary slots, since many players do not consider basic as a real gene, thus for many players having a dragon with a basic gene in one of the tertiary slots would be considered incomplete two tertiary slots would likely result in overly busy dragon
This sounds intersting, but I have to agree with this.

For some terts it just wouldn't work, and how would they decide to layer. What if I wanted crackle overlaid with Ringlets? What if I wanted stained behind ringlets (so that ringlest show up in the unfiltered color against a dragon that has the stained gene)?

Would they have to redo any genes, or would it just be literally layering one gene over another with no clean up at all?

Honestly, for FR, I think three genes are enough. While there would be some gorgeous things if we could layer genes together, I feel that the cons, which include a workload I would rather FR used elsewhere, outweigh the benefits of it.

I also don't want even MORE gene slots to have to worry about and even if all existing dragons had only the normal three, there are still future dragons to worry about as well.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Interesting~!!

Support
Interesting~!!

Support
3EnpSxZ.png
Interesting. Support because I already order custom busts to include dual slot genes. And I'd even be tolerant of having the meshed tert be the same color. [img]https://i.imgur.com/ZFJZgUl.png[/img] While I'd prefer, as an example, to keep Ice Underbelly and put Black Thylacine on top with Seryeshka here. That wouldn't be feasible without restructuring the entire breeding process. Much like genes we already have, nothing works on absolutely everyone. But this would be quite interesting for XYX dragons no doubt. I've already long been of the opinion that the only proper state of Thylacine is to be paired up with Glimmer, Capsule or Underbelly anyway. [center] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=5&winggene=1&wings=2&auth=e6f1be7290dfb7247a5364393f1cce007faf278d&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=9&tertgene=11&winggene=1&wings=2&auth=5a64103b4a8b4c9d1a609b928caaae1ed4785e43&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/YTZ2wN7.png[/img] [/center]
Interesting. Support because I already order custom busts to include dual slot genes. And I'd even be tolerant of having the meshed tert be the same color.

ZFJZgUl.png

While I'd prefer, as an example, to keep Ice Underbelly and put Black Thylacine on top with Seryeshka here. That wouldn't be feasible without restructuring the entire breeding process. Much like genes we already have, nothing works on absolutely everyone. But this would be quite interesting for XYX dragons no doubt.

I've already long been of the opinion that the only proper state of Thylacine is to be paired up with Glimmer, Capsule or Underbelly anyway.
dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=3&tertgene=5&winggene=1&wings=2&auth=e6f1be7290dfb7247a5364393f1cce007faf278d&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=1&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=9&tertgene=11&winggene=1&wings=2&auth=5a64103b4a8b4c9d1a609b928caaae1ed4785e43&dummyext=prev.png

YTZ2wN7.png
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
To be honest, the easiest way to mesh these genes together and get a whole new gene would be Baldwin's brew. Put items in, mixmixmix, ta-da!!! New gene that is mega expensive to make
To be honest, the easiest way to mesh these genes together and get a whole new gene would be Baldwin's brew. Put items in, mixmixmix, ta-da!!! New gene that is mega expensive to make
IRkrlkr.pngy6tbxWr.pngs91d4l6.png
I would like to hear more opinions. c:
I would like to hear more opinions. c:
CFFUclk.png ---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
{100 Generations Challenge}
c4a5xZL.png
I agree with Novaryn. I also think it'd be best if mashup genes were staff-selected combos that work well and count as completely new genes on the coding side. Just named things like lacelets, ghostbelly, underlace (with the lace in this case being a 'cut out' into the belly colour, perhaps) etc.

They'd open the door to lots of new dragon options - with very minimal art workload, assuming you're only combining the things that look good w/o tons of editing. ex. we really don't need a crackle-runes combo lol (bc both of the patterns would be in the same colour.)

If I could pick any way for them to be acquired, it'd be during some sort of small, annual baldwin event. That gives them a bit of exclusivity from the 'normal' versions of the genes without actually retiring the scrolls. The 'double-gene' dragons could also have the chance to pass on their component genes rather than the mashup version; maybe a 33/33/33 split.

I don't support adding an extra gene slot with its own colour, I think it'd just be too big of a change w/ so many dragons that already exist. I also think dragons that aren't from specifically planned breeding pairs or manually gened would look super crowded w/ 2 terts in most cases. Maybe if most terts were smaller. :B
I agree with Novaryn. I also think it'd be best if mashup genes were staff-selected combos that work well and count as completely new genes on the coding side. Just named things like lacelets, ghostbelly, underlace (with the lace in this case being a 'cut out' into the belly colour, perhaps) etc.

They'd open the door to lots of new dragon options - with very minimal art workload, assuming you're only combining the things that look good w/o tons of editing. ex. we really don't need a crackle-runes combo lol (bc both of the patterns would be in the same colour.)

If I could pick any way for them to be acquired, it'd be during some sort of small, annual baldwin event. That gives them a bit of exclusivity from the 'normal' versions of the genes without actually retiring the scrolls. The 'double-gene' dragons could also have the chance to pass on their component genes rather than the mashup version; maybe a 33/33/33 split.

I don't support adding an extra gene slot with its own colour, I think it'd just be too big of a change w/ so many dragons that already exist. I also think dragons that aren't from specifically planned breeding pairs or manually gened would look super crowded w/ 2 terts in most cases. Maybe if most terts were smaller. :B
2nld4k6.jpg
please ping me to get my attention!
1 2 3 4 5