Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Do you own Budgies?
Hello!

Yes, I would absolutely love to see pictures of your birds.

I was wondering if those who owned budgies could relay some information about them? So far all I know is that they're apparently real easy to care for and thrive in 60-70 degree rooms, and also that they're super sensitive to fumes.

What more about them should I know? Is it hard owning and caring for more than one budgie? Can a budgie even live alone in a cage? How often could you take it out of the cage or should it stay confined? What exactly should I keep away from birds since they're sensitive? Are they allowed to eat things other than seeds? Can other pets like perhaps a single dog be trusted around them? Supervised ofcourse!

What are the vet bills like? Do they need shots like dogs?

If you've seen people mention something, go ahead and repeat because then it tells me that's that info is really important.
Hello!

Yes, I would absolutely love to see pictures of your birds.

I was wondering if those who owned budgies could relay some information about them? So far all I know is that they're apparently real easy to care for and thrive in 60-70 degree rooms, and also that they're super sensitive to fumes.

What more about them should I know? Is it hard owning and caring for more than one budgie? Can a budgie even live alone in a cage? How often could you take it out of the cage or should it stay confined? What exactly should I keep away from birds since they're sensitive? Are they allowed to eat things other than seeds? Can other pets like perhaps a single dog be trusted around them? Supervised ofcourse!

What are the vet bills like? Do they need shots like dogs?

If you've seen people mention something, go ahead and repeat because then it tells me that's that info is really important.
hcEMeRe.png
signature under construction!generic info
signature under construction!links
A0E3TSe.png
@Thereza I don't own budgies, but I did babysit these cuties for a couple week, and I do have an eclectus. [img]https://s15.postimg.cc/dz0jysu97/IMG_20180526_125620.jpg[/img] (Note, this cage is too small.) I can give you some general advice on birds. First of all, I had no problem with these parakeets. The main issue you may have is them becoming a bonded pair, which may mean eggs, which means incubator, tons of vet visits, and possible complications. Also, birds tend to get more aggressive if they have a mate. A better idea may be getting two of the same sex. I believe budgies can be kept alone, but if you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it, it will probably get depressed and begin plucking or other harmful behaviors. Having more than one will help them both stay entertained. Even with another bird, they need LOTS of stimulation, so definitely let them out of the cage. Training them is actually pretty fun, they get lots of stimulation from it, and it strengthens trust. They may be easier to care for than some larger birds, but they still are birds, which means lots of attention and maintenance. You need to research their specific dietary needs, but as a rule, parrots and exotic birds NEED fresh fruits and veggies to help avoid fatty liver disease and other illnesses. If you're in doubt whether a material is bird-safe, and quick Google search will usually do the trick. I wouldn't recommend other pets with such a small bird. If it's flighted (which I wholeheartedly recommend) there is less chance for incidents, since they can fly away, but even then I think it's best to keep the bird in a separate room, just to avoid unnecessary stress. Birds are awesome pets, but they require a lot of time and work, so just keep that in mind. There's my 2 cents. I also HIGHLY recommend Flock-Talks. She has a Tumblr and a YouTube channel dedicated to her birds, and she is really well informed.
@Thereza I don't own budgies, but I did babysit these cuties for a couple week, and I do have an eclectus.
IMG_20180526_125620.jpg
(Note, this cage is too small.)
I can give you some general advice on birds. First of all, I had no problem with these parakeets. The main issue you may have is them becoming a bonded pair, which may mean eggs, which means incubator, tons of vet visits, and possible complications. Also, birds tend to get more aggressive if they have a mate. A better idea may be getting two of the same sex.

I believe budgies can be kept alone, but if you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it, it will probably get depressed and begin plucking or other harmful behaviors. Having more than one will help them both stay entertained. Even with another bird, they need LOTS of stimulation, so definitely let them out of the cage. Training them is actually pretty fun, they get lots of stimulation from it, and it strengthens trust.

They may be easier to care for than some larger birds, but they still are birds, which means lots of attention and maintenance. You need to research their specific dietary needs, but as a rule, parrots and exotic birds NEED fresh fruits and veggies to help avoid fatty liver disease and other illnesses. If you're in doubt whether a material is bird-safe, and quick Google search will usually do the trick.

I wouldn't recommend other pets with such a small bird. If it's flighted (which I wholeheartedly recommend) there is less chance for incidents, since they can fly away, but even then I think it's best to keep the bird in a separate room, just to avoid unnecessary stress.

Birds are awesome pets, but they require a lot of time and work, so just keep that in mind.

There's my 2 cents. I also HIGHLY recommend Flock-Talks. She has a Tumblr and a YouTube channel dedicated to her birds, and she is really well informed.
Caught between the mundanely awkward and the existentially impossible.
-Alice Isn't Dead, Part 2, chapter 4, 11:55

@Thereza
I have had budgies for quite a while! :) I'll post some pictures of my current pair later! Their names are Cecil and Carlos!

Honestly, I find that a pair of two males works the best. For some reason, males tend to be a bit friendlier and less demanding from what I've read! (I've always had males, that's just on hearsay) Also females have risks of egg-related problems. If you have the proper cage, caring for 2 budgies is just as easy as caring for one! You'll have to feed them a bit more, and focus on getting two birds to like you, but it works! Especially if you're gone for long periods of time!

However keeping one is doable if you interact with it a lot! That's up to you! And you can always introduce a second bird later down the road if you want; budgies most of the time readily accept a new member into their lives!

You CAN keep other pets with budgies, but I would suggest not introducing them. I have cats and dogs, but the budgies live in my room in a cage, so I keep the door closed unless I'm in the room.

As for things to keep away from your bird, here is a list of foods not to feed
https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/budgie_guide/budgie_food/food_to_avoid
Keep all nonstick cooking sprays far away from them, as well as gas fumes and things like that. Perfumes and hairsprays should be sprayed in a different room, but once you put it on I think you're fine to be around them again!

And they're allowed to eat plenty other than seeds! They can eat fruits, veggies, bird treats, and a pellet diet! They also use something commonly called a cuttle bone (which is an actual cuttlefish bone, found in pet stores that sell bird stuff!) to get minerals and wear down their beak!
Here's a great list of fruits and veggies you can feed them!
https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/budgie_guide/budgie_food/fresh_food

I admit I've never taken mine to the vet (except my first bird, who died mysteriously and apparently had an undetectable disease until it was too late :( ) because they're always fine on their own! I don't think they need shots however, because most often they don't come in contact with the outside world at all!
@Thereza
I have had budgies for quite a while! :) I'll post some pictures of my current pair later! Their names are Cecil and Carlos!

Honestly, I find that a pair of two males works the best. For some reason, males tend to be a bit friendlier and less demanding from what I've read! (I've always had males, that's just on hearsay) Also females have risks of egg-related problems. If you have the proper cage, caring for 2 budgies is just as easy as caring for one! You'll have to feed them a bit more, and focus on getting two birds to like you, but it works! Especially if you're gone for long periods of time!

However keeping one is doable if you interact with it a lot! That's up to you! And you can always introduce a second bird later down the road if you want; budgies most of the time readily accept a new member into their lives!

You CAN keep other pets with budgies, but I would suggest not introducing them. I have cats and dogs, but the budgies live in my room in a cage, so I keep the door closed unless I'm in the room.

As for things to keep away from your bird, here is a list of foods not to feed
https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/budgie_guide/budgie_food/food_to_avoid
Keep all nonstick cooking sprays far away from them, as well as gas fumes and things like that. Perfumes and hairsprays should be sprayed in a different room, but once you put it on I think you're fine to be around them again!

And they're allowed to eat plenty other than seeds! They can eat fruits, veggies, bird treats, and a pellet diet! They also use something commonly called a cuttle bone (which is an actual cuttlefish bone, found in pet stores that sell bird stuff!) to get minerals and wear down their beak!
Here's a great list of fruits and veggies you can feed them!
https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/budgie_guide/budgie_food/fresh_food

I admit I've never taken mine to the vet (except my first bird, who died mysteriously and apparently had an undetectable disease until it was too late :( ) because they're always fine on their own! I don't think they need shots however, because most often they don't come in contact with the outside world at all!
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@Thereza :

Hello, I've had budgies in the past and currently have 2, a female and a male. :) I just cleared my photos on my phone though so I'll have to post them later, sorry. D:

Budgies, or any other bird, are not any easier to take care of than let's say, a cat or dog. They're different, but they all need companionship, proper space and stimulation in form of entertainment. The only difference with a bigger bird is that they'll need less cage and room space, and their needs for entertainment might be simpler, as they're not as destructive.

Budgies are from Australia, meaning they can handle the heat far more easily than the cold. So if you live in a really cold area, please keep in mind you'll have to heat up their room during winter! Respiratory infections due to cold and hypothermia are very common issues with birds, especially smaller ones that can lose heat so easily!

The fumes thing is correct. Essential oil difunser, fumes from cooking with teflon, air fresheners and incense are all bad for, well, basically any pet, but especially birds! It's really recommended you use none of these things in whatever room the birds are hanging out in.

Budgies are energetic little things, and thrive best with other birds, especially males, so you should definitively consider having more than one budgie together. Taking care for 2 birds means a bigger cage, more toys, and you'll have to keep a bigger eye to see if either of them are becoming sick. Besides that, it's no different from taking care of 1, granted, of course, that they don't fight. Females tend to be far more cranky than the males from my experience (regardless of the other bird's sex, my female chases my male out when he tries to court her), and males tend to be very friendly regardless of sex, or sometimes, even species. My male budgie even tries to court my cockatiels, haha. So if you get a pair, as a poster above said, it's best to get 2 males. You also avoid the possible egg issues on a female.

I keep my birds out of their cages at all times except when I'm out of the house and at night, but they are hand-tamed. It'd be far harder to herd back a budgie that isn't human-friendly, especially if the wings aren't clipped, and that's why most people keep such birds inside their cage. I don't recommend it though, parrots are curious creatures, and will get bored of being in their cage all the time.

Most of the things that should be kept away from birds are related to air pollution, but also if they are to free-roam, keep in mind to keep away anything they could try to chew on that's hazardous for them (because they WILL try to chew on it) and any strings or, if you have long hair, clean the room they're in often because strands of hair and strings can tangle on their feet and cause issues.

Budgies' diet is around 60% seeds, 40% fresh fruit/vegetables. Poster above posted some good links on what to feed and not to feed. As a side note, you can also plant some of the seeds and feed them the sprouts. It'll be more nutricious for them than the seed alone. All you need is a small pot, some decent soil, sun and to water them every now and then. :) It takes them a week or two to sprout.

I had a dog around my birds before, but she was raised since young with other pets, and was the exception, not the rule. All mammals, including humans, have bacteria in their mouths that can be harmful in the long run for birds, so I wouldn't allow close contact that'd let the dog lick the bird. Unless you're sure the dog won't accidentally hurt the bird and the bird isn't afraid of the dog, I wouldn't really risk it.

Cats shouldn't be allowed near any small animals, period. They have gram-negative bacteria in their mouth that can possibly kill your bird, rodent or lizard, even if they're just grooming them with their tongue.

Birds do not need shots. Unless it's an emergency situation, shots on small birds are frowned upon as it places a lot of stress on such small animal. That said, you can do an annual check up your bird's health, and you can de-bug them every few months. I don't know the prices of vet bills where you are at, unfortunately, but if you're from USA, I've heard exotic vets can run quite expensive, so you would need to keep some hundreds saved in case of an emergency.

As an ending note, if you are from USA, this website might prove useful, as it offers you a neat little test and breakdown on most common parrot species, and also can direct you to sources where to buy bird necessities (on that note, try to buy perches appropriate for your budgies' size, otherwise they might get bumblefoot!), what's the avian vet closest to you, and even tells you if there's any birds near you up for adoption. I'd recommend looking into adopting some budgies, since there's an unfortunate lot of unwanted parrots waiting for good homes. They're also cheaper than just buying a brand new animal from the store, with the adoption fees being around 10 to 30 USD for budgies from what I saw.

Hope this was helpful!
@Thereza :

Hello, I've had budgies in the past and currently have 2, a female and a male. :) I just cleared my photos on my phone though so I'll have to post them later, sorry. D:

Budgies, or any other bird, are not any easier to take care of than let's say, a cat or dog. They're different, but they all need companionship, proper space and stimulation in form of entertainment. The only difference with a bigger bird is that they'll need less cage and room space, and their needs for entertainment might be simpler, as they're not as destructive.

Budgies are from Australia, meaning they can handle the heat far more easily than the cold. So if you live in a really cold area, please keep in mind you'll have to heat up their room during winter! Respiratory infections due to cold and hypothermia are very common issues with birds, especially smaller ones that can lose heat so easily!

The fumes thing is correct. Essential oil difunser, fumes from cooking with teflon, air fresheners and incense are all bad for, well, basically any pet, but especially birds! It's really recommended you use none of these things in whatever room the birds are hanging out in.

Budgies are energetic little things, and thrive best with other birds, especially males, so you should definitively consider having more than one budgie together. Taking care for 2 birds means a bigger cage, more toys, and you'll have to keep a bigger eye to see if either of them are becoming sick. Besides that, it's no different from taking care of 1, granted, of course, that they don't fight. Females tend to be far more cranky than the males from my experience (regardless of the other bird's sex, my female chases my male out when he tries to court her), and males tend to be very friendly regardless of sex, or sometimes, even species. My male budgie even tries to court my cockatiels, haha. So if you get a pair, as a poster above said, it's best to get 2 males. You also avoid the possible egg issues on a female.

I keep my birds out of their cages at all times except when I'm out of the house and at night, but they are hand-tamed. It'd be far harder to herd back a budgie that isn't human-friendly, especially if the wings aren't clipped, and that's why most people keep such birds inside their cage. I don't recommend it though, parrots are curious creatures, and will get bored of being in their cage all the time.

Most of the things that should be kept away from birds are related to air pollution, but also if they are to free-roam, keep in mind to keep away anything they could try to chew on that's hazardous for them (because they WILL try to chew on it) and any strings or, if you have long hair, clean the room they're in often because strands of hair and strings can tangle on their feet and cause issues.

Budgies' diet is around 60% seeds, 40% fresh fruit/vegetables. Poster above posted some good links on what to feed and not to feed. As a side note, you can also plant some of the seeds and feed them the sprouts. It'll be more nutricious for them than the seed alone. All you need is a small pot, some decent soil, sun and to water them every now and then. :) It takes them a week or two to sprout.

I had a dog around my birds before, but she was raised since young with other pets, and was the exception, not the rule. All mammals, including humans, have bacteria in their mouths that can be harmful in the long run for birds, so I wouldn't allow close contact that'd let the dog lick the bird. Unless you're sure the dog won't accidentally hurt the bird and the bird isn't afraid of the dog, I wouldn't really risk it.

Cats shouldn't be allowed near any small animals, period. They have gram-negative bacteria in their mouth that can possibly kill your bird, rodent or lizard, even if they're just grooming them with their tongue.

Birds do not need shots. Unless it's an emergency situation, shots on small birds are frowned upon as it places a lot of stress on such small animal. That said, you can do an annual check up your bird's health, and you can de-bug them every few months. I don't know the prices of vet bills where you are at, unfortunately, but if you're from USA, I've heard exotic vets can run quite expensive, so you would need to keep some hundreds saved in case of an emergency.

As an ending note, if you are from USA, this website might prove useful, as it offers you a neat little test and breakdown on most common parrot species, and also can direct you to sources where to buy bird necessities (on that note, try to buy perches appropriate for your budgies' size, otherwise they might get bumblefoot!), what's the avian vet closest to you, and even tells you if there's any birds near you up for adoption. I'd recommend looking into adopting some budgies, since there's an unfortunate lot of unwanted parrots waiting for good homes. They're also cheaper than just buying a brand new animal from the store, with the adoption fees being around 10 to 30 USD for budgies from what I saw.

Hope this was helpful!
WwxStnC.gifeSptuuR.gif
@Zygon @ImpossibleJedi4 @Cervas

Thank you all so much! This was all very informative and I’m definitely bookmarking these sites you’ve all provided.
@Zygon @ImpossibleJedi4 @Cervas

Thank you all so much! This was all very informative and I’m definitely bookmarking these sites you’ve all provided.
hcEMeRe.png
signature under construction!generic info
signature under construction!links
A0E3TSe.png
I don’t but I really would like one and also would like to know about their care. Everyone I know who has budgies seems to be super knowledable on them and it just really shows their love :3
I don’t but I really would like one and also would like to know about their care. Everyone I know who has budgies seems to be super knowledable on them and it just really shows their love :3
0cxr0Yf.png
+2 FR