Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ping for Site Announcements, Please!
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2017-09-12 11:19:25] Absolutely only if this is optional and turned off as a default - and is GUARANTEED not to cause 'Lag of doom by masspinging'. I'd rather have a playable site than having 'on the second notices' for people wantig to a) be aware of changes the seconds they happen instead of hours or b) are to lazy to hit the FR logo once a day. [/quote] Personally I think it would work best to set up 'subscribing' for the news forum rather than pings. That way, since ONLY admins can make topics there, it would be automatic for those who subscribe to it. However, I do not know if it is possible to be able to subscribe to a forum instead of an individual thread (and it would be even better if it were only when threads were created not just posted on)
Ismaiel wrote on 2017-09-12:
Absolutely only if this is optional and turned off as a default - and is GUARANTEED not to cause 'Lag of doom by masspinging'.

I'd rather have a playable site than having 'on the second notices' for people wantig to a) be aware of changes the seconds they happen instead of hours or b) are to lazy to hit the FR logo once a day.

Personally I think it would work best to set up 'subscribing' for the news forum rather than pings. That way, since ONLY admins can make topics there, it would be automatic for those who subscribe to it.

However, I do not know if it is possible to be able to subscribe to a forum instead of an individual thread (and it would be even better if it were only when threads were created not just posted on)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Support, although I look at the homepage often, this would be nice to be able to see new additions and such to the game. As long as it can be turned off and isn't for every admin message, then support.
Support, although I look at the homepage often, this would be nice to be able to see new additions and such to the game. As long as it can be turned off and isn't for every admin message, then support.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
[quote name="MissouriMule" date=2015-09-19 14:44:05] -snip- No one ever looks at the home page. Or at least no one ever looks if they remain logged in and are doing other things around the site. Once you're logged in, the home page is basically the least frequented page on the entire site. It exists for nothing more than exalting bonuses for me sense I never log out, so it's a once a day visit right after roll over. [/quote] Speak for yourself. The first thing I do is check the homepage to see if there are any updates.
MissouriMule wrote on 2015-09-19:
-snip-
No one ever looks at the home page. Or at least no one ever looks if they remain logged in and are doing other things around the site. Once you're logged in, the home page is basically the least frequented page on the entire site. It exists for nothing more than exalting bonuses for me sense I never log out, so it's a once a day visit right after roll over.

Speak for yourself. The first thing I do is check the homepage to see if there are any updates.
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
I support this! I always keep FR open, so I NEVER look at the homepage.

When capsule came out, I didn't even know until my friend told me about it in person!
I support this! I always keep FR open, so I NEVER look at the homepage.

When capsule came out, I didn't even know until my friend told me about it in person!
o/ Good suggestion. I often will not see any recent news or additions because I am in other parts of the site for days at a time, not the front page. This is a nice suggestion.
o/ Good suggestion. I often will not see any recent news or additions because I am in other parts of the site for days at a time, not the front page. This is a nice suggestion.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
....eh

im on the home page constantly and refresh to see if i have any pings or if anythings changed, now i know this isnt everyone, but it honestly doesnt seem that hard to just....go to the home page every now and then

like others have said if it doesnt cause a mass lag and its optional then i guess its ok but im neutral
....eh

im on the home page constantly and refresh to see if i have any pings or if anythings changed, now i know this isnt everyone, but it honestly doesnt seem that hard to just....go to the home page every now and then

like others have said if it doesnt cause a mass lag and its optional then i guess its ok but im neutral
6pajdrS.pngtumblr_inline_o7rl5eD4X61u1nn5o_540.png6pajdrS.png
Giving support for this, because I'm one of the ones who doesn't think to check the home page often.
Giving support for this, because I'm one of the ones who doesn't think to check the home page often.
While this suggestion is valid back in 2015, and can be quite valid now, which announcement should get a site-wide ping? News posts only, or little ones that pop up under site status going to ping everyone as well?

It gets a bit overwhelm if they ping everything (news and site status update), but if they only ping for news posts, you'll still have to go to front page to not miss those little announcements that are too small to warren a thread on its own. I'm kinda on the fence for this one. They tried to include more and more information on the front page over the years that refusing to check it often really is your own fault... maybe like the first reply 3 years ago, only if it's optional and default OFF.
While this suggestion is valid back in 2015, and can be quite valid now, which announcement should get a site-wide ping? News posts only, or little ones that pop up under site status going to ping everyone as well?

It gets a bit overwhelm if they ping everything (news and site status update), but if they only ping for news posts, you'll still have to go to front page to not miss those little announcements that are too small to warren a thread on its own. I'm kinda on the fence for this one. They tried to include more and more information on the front page over the years that refusing to check it often really is your own fault... maybe like the first reply 3 years ago, only if it's optional and default OFF.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
[quote name="hat17" date="2018-05-06 21:40:20" ] While this suggestion is valid back in 2015, and can be quite valid now, which announcement should get a site-wide ping? News posts only, or little ones that pop up under site status going to ping everyone as well? It gets a bit overwhelm if they ping everything (news and site status update), but if they only ping for news posts, you'll still have to go to front page to not miss those little announcements that are too small to warren a thread on its own. I'm kinda on the fence for this one. They tried to include more and more information on the front page over the years that refusing to check it often really is your own fault... maybe like the first reply 3 years ago, only if it's optional and default OFF. [/quote] They don't have to ping everyone. Several sites that I know of that have this feature either just put a banner across the top of the screen until you click it, or you can 'opt in' to receive the announcement notification. Furvilla also went a step further. You have the news announcements (which I don't think are optional, but I would support it being optional) AND they have a 'change log' which is like the little 'status updates' FR has. THAT is optional. Flight Rising could go one step further, make two settings. One to opt into big news announcements, and one to opt in to the little site updates. That way people could choose what they get. (some sites go even further and let you choose what type of news you want to get notified about, but I don't think FR has enough diversity to really need that option) The biggest thing about 'checking the front page' is that for long periods of times, there is most likely nothing new there. It also isn't 'refusal' to check on it, but rather that I often leave Baldwin and the forums open all day. I have my bookmark set to the front page, but I simply don't remember to check it because I never have to use the book mark to get to FR except in the mornings when I first log on. I am pretty sure many others do the same thing. Also, even if they don't ping for the 'little' things, many of those aren't necessarily things that people are interested in. However, big news announcements like new genes (or breed) and site updates etc.. are things that most people would be interested in. So, even if they decide to only do it for the big announcements, it is still immensely helpful to users who simply cannot remember to go to a fairly useless except when news is posted front page. (as there are really no links shown there that aren't shown elsewhere)
hat17 wrote on 2018-05-06 21:40:20:

They don't have to ping everyone. Several sites that I know of that have this feature either just put a banner across the top of the screen until you click it, or you can 'opt in' to receive the announcement notification.

Furvilla also went a step further. You have the news announcements (which I don't think are optional, but I would support it being optional) AND they have a 'change log' which is like the little 'status updates' FR has. THAT is optional.

Flight Rising could go one step further, make two settings. One to opt into big news announcements, and one to opt in to the little site updates. That way people could choose what they get.

(some sites go even further and let you choose what type of news you want to get notified about, but I don't think FR has enough diversity to really need that option)

The biggest thing about 'checking the front page' is that for long periods of times, there is most likely nothing new there. It also isn't 'refusal' to check on it, but rather that I often leave Baldwin and the forums open all day. I have my bookmark set to the front page, but I simply don't remember to check it because I never have to use the book mark to get to FR except in the mornings when I first log on. I am pretty sure many others do the same thing.

Also, even if they don't ping for the 'little' things, many of those aren't necessarily things that people are interested in. However, big news announcements like new genes (or breed) and site updates etc.. are things that most people would be interested in. So, even if they decide to only do it for the big announcements, it is still immensely helpful to users who simply cannot remember to go to a fairly useless except when news is posted front page. (as there are really no links shown there that aren't shown elsewhere)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
You do have a point there. I do like to see something like what Furvilla's done that there's a notice on the top of every page until you click it for news posts. Fully support something along that line. Not so much for pings.

The reason why I brought up the site status bar is that when stuff got cycled back, like wildclaw scrolls and pirate apparel sets, they were announced in that bar and not as a separate news post since there aren't anything to write except that one line. And a lot of people were complaining that they missed it because they either a) don't check the front page at all, or b) they checked front page but never read the status bar. While a reminder of sort for those who don't frequent the front page that there is something new (although very small) updates for them, I don't want a ping either. Maybe like you said, a news bar at the top of page until you click it away would be the best way to go.
You do have a point there. I do like to see something like what Furvilla's done that there's a notice on the top of every page until you click it for news posts. Fully support something along that line. Not so much for pings.

The reason why I brought up the site status bar is that when stuff got cycled back, like wildclaw scrolls and pirate apparel sets, they were announced in that bar and not as a separate news post since there aren't anything to write except that one line. And a lot of people were complaining that they missed it because they either a) don't check the front page at all, or b) they checked front page but never read the status bar. While a reminder of sort for those who don't frequent the front page that there is something new (although very small) updates for them, I don't want a ping either. Maybe like you said, a news bar at the top of page until you click it away would be the best way to go.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
1 2 3 4 5