Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Critique my Writing?
So I randomly wrote a little prequel oneshot (cause I was bored) to the story I'm currently writing, and thought I'd post it here to get opinions. My Mom, her friend, and my Grandma love my writing but I want to get more people how don't know me as well to read it and tell me what they think...
It's a semi Minecraft world, but in my opinion you don't need to know Minecraft to read it.
Also if anyone does want to read the actual story, I can post chapters here on Flight Rising for you to read! :D Maybe I'll even continue this prequel!

So first a couple pings (This is for anyone who wants to read it, I just wanted to inform a few people):
@Midna42 (You've read bits of this story before so why not...)
@JJisawesomeness (I told you about the character and you show'd interest in reading the story.)

Now here go's.... (Bold with italics is sounds, italics is thoughts.)

Bang! Bang!
The sound of zombies ramming the door downstairs was keeping Luke awake. It was hard to sleep with even the idea of monsters at the door, let alone actually hearing them at it.
He wondered if Papa was up to keep anything from getting inside... The monsters around here had been acting strange lately. Others told him he was imagining it, but he'd seen a creeper blow up a door to let zombies inside, a zombie and a skeleton trying to pin someone in an alleyway – they'd failed and everyone dismissed it as coincidence – and he'd sometimes seen them just huddled together in the shade, watching...
CRASH!
He sat up, shaking. A zombie moaned and a rattling shriek came from outside. The hiss and BOOM of a creeper exploding followed quickly by screams! Yelling came from downstairs – Papa fighting off the zombies most likely – the rattling of skeletons and the twang of their bowstrings filled the air.
“Luke!” Papa's voice called.
Hearing the call he hesitated for a moment...then got up and ran downstairs.
Papa was standing in the kitchen, sword in hand. Zombie corpses were scattered around the floor...
Papa stepped forward and grabbed Luke's hand. “I need you to run. Monsters are attacking the village, more than ever before. I need you to get out while us grown-ups fight. Okay?”
Luke nodded. “U- understood...” He replied shakily.
“Good.” Papa then pulled off his necklace, a green pearl that looked like an eye of sorts. He'd often told stories of how his father had taken it from a monster he'd once slain. “Take this.” And he held the necklace out to Luke.
“Why?” Luke asked, confused. “It's yours?”
Papa smiled slightly. “Keep it safe for me.”
Luke stared at the necklace for a moment, then he reached out and took it before looking up at Papa. “You'll be okay. Right?”
A Zombie groaned outside, and Papa glanced worriedly over his shoulder before replying. “Of course I will, Luke.” He said. But his voice was shaky. “Now go!” He shoved Luke towards the door, and Luke ran.
Houses were burning with red flame and monsters wove in between the buildings. Some reached or crawled towards him, but he kept running.
Don't stop! Don't stop running! He thought, clutching the necklace tighter.
“Luke!” Another voice called. Two other children were running towards him, looking just as scared.
“Amy! Nick!” He called back, racing over to his friends.
When he reached them Amy grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the bridge that was the only way in and out of the village, as it was surrounded by a massive ravine. “Come on we need to get out of here!”
Nick was nodding in agreement, but Luke paused for a moment, glancing back at the house he'd grown up in. “Do you think we could help...?”
“Are you insane!?” Amy squeaked. “Some of those things are twice our size! Do think a group of ten year olds could do anything?”
Luke hesitated a moment longer...then turned and followed the girl.
Together they ran to towards the bridge. But halfway Luke tripped, and as he was shoving himself up something caught his eye...
A tall, skinny, black creature was crouched on the ground nearby, watching him...it's purple eyes were glowing faintly in the darkness and every bone in it's body was visible... An Endermen...
He clenched his eyes shut. He couldn't look at it, he could remember every time he'd been told “Never meet an Endermen's eyes.” They were peaceful – though creepy – in till you looked at them...
He turned away, opened his eyes again, and getting up he bolted to catch up with Amy and Nick. They were already running across the bridge, and he was way behind!
Then a rattling voice spoke... “The Eye! Why you carry our Eye human spawn?”
Luke shivered but kept going, he'd almost reached the bridge! The sound of an Endermen teleporting came from behind him, followed by another snarl... “How did you get it? Give to me!”
He was on the bridge now! Amy and Nick were calling to him, he was almost out!
Then something else flickered at the edge of vision...all he saw was a blur of silver and red...then everything happened fast!
A bolt of red came flying towards him, something grabbed the back of his shirt, and then the bridge exploded! Now he was falling, Amy and Nick were screaming his name...and the Endermen was right in his face...!
“The Eye...” It hissed, and Luke realized what it wanted!
Papa's word rang in his mind. Keep it safe for me. So he held on to it tighter. “You can't have it!” He spat at the monster.
The Endermen chuckled. “Brave little spawn...but foolish...”
Then the world turned green and white and he felt in skin begin to burn. He heard the Endermen scream in pain...then suddenly every fiber of his being was ripped apart...

The strange being lay there. His mind was spinning...something wasn't right...
Where am I...? I don't...don't know... What happened...? Can't remember... Who am I...? I know that...I'm Luke...no...I'm Sleuth... Luke...human child...it's called spawn... Sleuth...an Endermen... No...that's not right...
He clenched his hands into fists. One was soft and blunt...one had claws and rough skin.
Get out of my head human spawn!
Get away from me monster!
My name is Sleuth? No...now I'm...Luke...Sleuth... This is wrong...

He opened his eyes. The colors of the world clashed...for one eye the sky was blue with white clouds...to the other yellow with black clouds... Then it all faded to black again as he passed out...
So I randomly wrote a little prequel oneshot (cause I was bored) to the story I'm currently writing, and thought I'd post it here to get opinions. My Mom, her friend, and my Grandma love my writing but I want to get more people how don't know me as well to read it and tell me what they think...
It's a semi Minecraft world, but in my opinion you don't need to know Minecraft to read it.
Also if anyone does want to read the actual story, I can post chapters here on Flight Rising for you to read! :D Maybe I'll even continue this prequel!

So first a couple pings (This is for anyone who wants to read it, I just wanted to inform a few people):
@Midna42 (You've read bits of this story before so why not...)
@JJisawesomeness (I told you about the character and you show'd interest in reading the story.)

Now here go's.... (Bold with italics is sounds, italics is thoughts.)

Bang! Bang!
The sound of zombies ramming the door downstairs was keeping Luke awake. It was hard to sleep with even the idea of monsters at the door, let alone actually hearing them at it.
He wondered if Papa was up to keep anything from getting inside... The monsters around here had been acting strange lately. Others told him he was imagining it, but he'd seen a creeper blow up a door to let zombies inside, a zombie and a skeleton trying to pin someone in an alleyway – they'd failed and everyone dismissed it as coincidence – and he'd sometimes seen them just huddled together in the shade, watching...
CRASH!
He sat up, shaking. A zombie moaned and a rattling shriek came from outside. The hiss and BOOM of a creeper exploding followed quickly by screams! Yelling came from downstairs – Papa fighting off the zombies most likely – the rattling of skeletons and the twang of their bowstrings filled the air.
“Luke!” Papa's voice called.
Hearing the call he hesitated for a moment...then got up and ran downstairs.
Papa was standing in the kitchen, sword in hand. Zombie corpses were scattered around the floor...
Papa stepped forward and grabbed Luke's hand. “I need you to run. Monsters are attacking the village, more than ever before. I need you to get out while us grown-ups fight. Okay?”
Luke nodded. “U- understood...” He replied shakily.
“Good.” Papa then pulled off his necklace, a green pearl that looked like an eye of sorts. He'd often told stories of how his father had taken it from a monster he'd once slain. “Take this.” And he held the necklace out to Luke.
“Why?” Luke asked, confused. “It's yours?”
Papa smiled slightly. “Keep it safe for me.”
Luke stared at the necklace for a moment, then he reached out and took it before looking up at Papa. “You'll be okay. Right?”
A Zombie groaned outside, and Papa glanced worriedly over his shoulder before replying. “Of course I will, Luke.” He said. But his voice was shaky. “Now go!” He shoved Luke towards the door, and Luke ran.
Houses were burning with red flame and monsters wove in between the buildings. Some reached or crawled towards him, but he kept running.
Don't stop! Don't stop running! He thought, clutching the necklace tighter.
“Luke!” Another voice called. Two other children were running towards him, looking just as scared.
“Amy! Nick!” He called back, racing over to his friends.
When he reached them Amy grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the bridge that was the only way in and out of the village, as it was surrounded by a massive ravine. “Come on we need to get out of here!”
Nick was nodding in agreement, but Luke paused for a moment, glancing back at the house he'd grown up in. “Do you think we could help...?”
“Are you insane!?” Amy squeaked. “Some of those things are twice our size! Do think a group of ten year olds could do anything?”
Luke hesitated a moment longer...then turned and followed the girl.
Together they ran to towards the bridge. But halfway Luke tripped, and as he was shoving himself up something caught his eye...
A tall, skinny, black creature was crouched on the ground nearby, watching him...it's purple eyes were glowing faintly in the darkness and every bone in it's body was visible... An Endermen...
He clenched his eyes shut. He couldn't look at it, he could remember every time he'd been told “Never meet an Endermen's eyes.” They were peaceful – though creepy – in till you looked at them...
He turned away, opened his eyes again, and getting up he bolted to catch up with Amy and Nick. They were already running across the bridge, and he was way behind!
Then a rattling voice spoke... “The Eye! Why you carry our Eye human spawn?”
Luke shivered but kept going, he'd almost reached the bridge! The sound of an Endermen teleporting came from behind him, followed by another snarl... “How did you get it? Give to me!”
He was on the bridge now! Amy and Nick were calling to him, he was almost out!
Then something else flickered at the edge of vision...all he saw was a blur of silver and red...then everything happened fast!
A bolt of red came flying towards him, something grabbed the back of his shirt, and then the bridge exploded! Now he was falling, Amy and Nick were screaming his name...and the Endermen was right in his face...!
“The Eye...” It hissed, and Luke realized what it wanted!
Papa's word rang in his mind. Keep it safe for me. So he held on to it tighter. “You can't have it!” He spat at the monster.
The Endermen chuckled. “Brave little spawn...but foolish...”
Then the world turned green and white and he felt in skin begin to burn. He heard the Endermen scream in pain...then suddenly every fiber of his being was ripped apart...

The strange being lay there. His mind was spinning...something wasn't right...
Where am I...? I don't...don't know... What happened...? Can't remember... Who am I...? I know that...I'm Luke...no...I'm Sleuth... Luke...human child...it's called spawn... Sleuth...an Endermen... No...that's not right...
He clenched his hands into fists. One was soft and blunt...one had claws and rough skin.
Get out of my head human spawn!
Get away from me monster!
My name is Sleuth? No...now I'm...Luke...Sleuth... This is wrong...

He opened his eyes. The colors of the world clashed...for one eye the sky was blue with white clouds...to the other yellow with black clouds... Then it all faded to black again as he passed out...
WjyjP9T.pngtumblr_p1dtysGz331wvvm88o2_100.png
@Sharpjay217 OMG!!! this is super cool!!! I absolutely love it!!! I'd love to read more of it! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!!!
@Sharpjay217 OMG!!! this is super cool!!! I absolutely love it!!! I'd love to read more of it! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!!!
@JJisawesomeness

Thank you so much! :D I was starting to wonder if anyone would reply to this... Maybe if a couple other people start showing interest I'll post the chapters of the book somewhere...
@JJisawesomeness

Thank you so much! :D I was starting to wonder if anyone would reply to this... Maybe if a couple other people start showing interest I'll post the chapters of the book somewhere...
@Sharpjay217

past out
should be
passed out

The monsters around here bad been acting strange lately.
should be
The monsters around here had been acting strange lately.

then he reached out and took it. Then he
The repetition of the word 'then' makes it a little...tedious to read? Try combining the sentences (then he reached out and took it before looking up at Papa) or use a different word the second time.

“Of course I will Luke.”
should be
"Of course I will, Luke."
Any names said at the beginning or the end should be followed with/begin with a comma.

Some reached or crawled towards him but he kept running.
should be
Some reached or crawled towards him, but he kept running.

I'll post again with more corrections when I have time. If you feel like I was too harsh or rude, please let me know! I want to help, not hurt. :)
@Sharpjay217

past out
should be
passed out

The monsters around here bad been acting strange lately.
should be
The monsters around here had been acting strange lately.

then he reached out and took it. Then he
The repetition of the word 'then' makes it a little...tedious to read? Try combining the sentences (then he reached out and took it before looking up at Papa) or use a different word the second time.

“Of course I will Luke.”
should be
"Of course I will, Luke."
Any names said at the beginning or the end should be followed with/begin with a comma.

Some reached or crawled towards him but he kept running.
should be
Some reached or crawled towards him, but he kept running.

I'll post again with more corrections when I have time. If you feel like I was too harsh or rude, please let me know! I want to help, not hurt. :)
@Dragonartist24

No, it's not rude! I asked for a critique and you gave one! I'll correct those mistakes now. I did feel like some of those line felt weird, thank you for pointing them out. :)

Edit: I think I fixed all the ones you pointed out. :D
@Dragonartist24

No, it's not rude! I asked for a critique and you gave one! I'll correct those mistakes now. I did feel like some of those line felt weird, thank you for pointing them out. :)

Edit: I think I fixed all the ones you pointed out. :D
Reviving this because I remembered it and I'd still like opinions. :)
Reviving this because I remembered it and I'd still like opinions. :)