Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | How to Avoid Being Banned/Suspended?
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Psst, @Helmintio, just wanted to let you know there's already a next arrow ^^ They're invisible but pop up when you mouse over either side of your dragon image.

Edit: Double ninja'd!
Psst, @Helmintio, just wanted to let you know there's already a next arrow ^^ They're invisible but pop up when you mouse over either side of your dragon image.

Edit: Double ninja'd!
moj0Ael.png
I don't care how much people think the admins value image quality over bandwidth cost. It means diddly squat if these high-quality images result in a number of users getting suspended and banned for 'suspected DDOS'. It's a slap to the admins if users imply they'd rather keep high quality art than players, and it's a slap to the players if the admins actually do think that way. This is like watching people shooting themselves in the feet. Repeatedly. And then reloading and handing the gun off to the next person so they can join in the fun.

On another site, an admin looked at my access logs as a joke and commented on how many requests I'd sent to the server, and on which pages. (refresh-and-click game, you know, the usual.) I'm no coder and I don't know how this site works, but if these admins could also check access logs I'm fairly sure they'd find the users they're suspending were just going about their daily business. The fact that it's happened numerous times and some people had to sit through their suspensions only to get suspended again doesn't give me much faith in how this site is run or set up.

Once again, to other users: Until issues are fixed, play it safe by just doing your dailies and popping in to check messages. It's a headache to worry and really, nobody deserves the stress.
I don't care how much people think the admins value image quality over bandwidth cost. It means diddly squat if these high-quality images result in a number of users getting suspended and banned for 'suspected DDOS'. It's a slap to the admins if users imply they'd rather keep high quality art than players, and it's a slap to the players if the admins actually do think that way. This is like watching people shooting themselves in the feet. Repeatedly. And then reloading and handing the gun off to the next person so they can join in the fun.

On another site, an admin looked at my access logs as a joke and commented on how many requests I'd sent to the server, and on which pages. (refresh-and-click game, you know, the usual.) I'm no coder and I don't know how this site works, but if these admins could also check access logs I'm fairly sure they'd find the users they're suspending were just going about their daily business. The fact that it's happened numerous times and some people had to sit through their suspensions only to get suspended again doesn't give me much faith in how this site is run or set up.

Once again, to other users: Until issues are fixed, play it safe by just doing your dailies and popping in to check messages. It's a headache to worry and really, nobody deserves the stress.
"That was a nice distraction."
"The time I was able to spend with you... It was like memories of pure light."
tumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jt1Pqab1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jtp2T4U1s7z3me_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.png
"Sweet dreams. I'll be with you before long."
"That's how it's done."
Humans are the most irrational beings.

QBTY.pnggVbL.png
bH4wU.gif
[quote name="Sadistic" date="2014-02-18 15:02:27"]I don't care how much people think the admins value image quality over bandwidth cost. It means diddly squat if these high-quality images result in a number of users getting suspended and banned for 'suspected DDOS'. It's a slap to the admins if users imply they'd rather keep high quality art than players, and it's a slap to the players if the admins actually [i]do[/i] think that way. This is like watching people shooting themselves in the feet. Repeatedly. And then reloading and handing the gun off to the next person so they can join in the fun. On another site, an admin looked at my access logs as a joke and commented on how many requests I'd sent to the server, and on which pages. (refresh-and-click game, you know, the usual.) I'm no coder and I don't know how this site works, but if these admins could also check access logs I'm fairly sure they'd find the users they're suspending were just going about their daily business. The fact that it's happened numerous times and some people had to sit through their suspensions only to get suspended [i]again[/i] doesn't give me much faith in how this site is run or set up. Once again, to other users: Until issues are fixed, play it safe by just doing your dailies and popping in to check messages. It's a headache to worry and really, nobody deserves the stress.[/quote] Loading high quality images is not the issue. We are all making lots of requests. You'd have to be making an exceptionally large number. The size of the response received has no impact upon the number you are making.
Sadistic wrote on 2014-02-18 15:02:27:

Loading high quality images is not the issue. We are all making lots of requests. You'd have to be making an exceptionally large number. The size of the response received has no impact upon the number you are making.
Participating in Trick or Treat
tumblr_n03fz4yBaK1rni37eo1_500.gif
Oh man, there is a previous and next. See, when they don't show up on the page, I don't notice them there lol.

Anyway, I'm going to go make a case for installing NewRelic in the suggestions forum, wish me luck :p
Oh man, there is a previous and next. See, when they don't show up on the page, I don't notice them there lol.

Anyway, I'm going to go make a case for installing NewRelic in the suggestions forum, wish me luck :p
@Helmintio, we've had New Relic since October.
@Helmintio, we've had New Relic since October.
@Aequorin

Oh you do? Okay good!

Do you know if you run Apache or if you run litespeed or nginx?
@Aequorin

Oh you do? Okay good!

Do you know if you run Apache or if you run litespeed or nginx?
@Helmintio, I believe the information is available in the response headers and that it is Apache.
@Helmintio, I believe the information is available in the response headers and that it is Apache.
[quote]If the users are "botting" other parts of the site, I don't think there's really any benefit. Why would anyone go through the effort of botting the gather feature? It's not like it takes a lot of effort to click fifteen times in a row. Maybe you could stretch and say that someone would want to bot the trade-in-item-for-500-treasure feature, but really the reward wouldn't be worth it.[/quote] I think this a major one. Someone went and automated the registration process despite the fact that FR had registration closed, at least a few accounts were made. With a large number of accounts, you could create a large amount of gems a day to sell. If you had something like 2000 accounts, you could basically own the game and undercut FR's own gem selling. The easiest way to stop bots would be to stop them logging in in the first place with a recaptcha there, since if you can't login to bot they won't be able to bot at all. I think the part that you are missing is the fact that the [i]majority[/i], not the minority, of Neopets bots have a captcha solver built in, so even if they had captcha it's no a permanent solution. You are also missing the fact that most Neopets bans are permanent, extremely frequent and they go as far as banning inactive accounts. You are also forgetting that the person who created the registration script and probably the bots in the first place is actually a Neopets hacker so they would clearly be accustomed to breaking captcha and messing with the admins. So in a way, I suppose I can understand the admins banning people, because if they manage to ban all of that person's accounts, presumably they cannot make a new one to script on.
Quote:
If the users are "botting" other parts of the site, I don't think there's really any benefit. Why would anyone go through the effort of botting the gather feature? It's not like it takes a lot of effort to click fifteen times in a row. Maybe you could stretch and say that someone would want to bot the trade-in-item-for-500-treasure feature, but really the reward wouldn't be worth it.
I think this a major one. Someone went and automated the registration process despite the fact that FR had registration closed, at least a few accounts were made. With a large number of accounts, you could create a large amount of gems a day to sell. If you had something like 2000 accounts, you could basically own the game and undercut FR's own gem selling. The easiest way to stop bots would be to stop them logging in in the first place with a recaptcha there, since if you can't login to bot they won't be able to bot at all.

I think the part that you are missing is the fact that the majority, not the minority, of Neopets bots have a captcha solver built in, so even if they had captcha it's no a permanent solution. You are also missing the fact that most Neopets bans are permanent, extremely frequent and they go as far as banning inactive accounts.

You are also forgetting that the person who created the registration script and probably the bots in the first place is actually a Neopets hacker so they would clearly be accustomed to breaking captcha and messing with the admins.

So in a way, I suppose I can understand the admins banning people, because if they manage to ban all of that person's accounts, presumably they cannot make a new one to script on.
Participating in Trick or Treat
tumblr_n03fz4yBaK1rni37eo1_500.gif
@Aequorin Okay, that is a big problem, because Apache is really bloated and can't handle a lot of traffic as effectively as HTTP servers like Litespeed and Nginx can. Honestly, ANYTHING is better than running Apache. Here are some benchmarks with apache vs nginx: [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/TGZJ8_IWGWsn-0M6Txi9rrt7m5shn_Y5wwi475r8ewMatyVQyULg43lQvAvSN1V24P_9Eu_aezpyRMuWRbmf_XPXtjkN6QrsB9zbM7eLs4ESzrtR6_3ft-LgjA[/img] [quote]Nginx can also handle on average 40% higher traffic than apache in 300% less time. (Basically, it’s 4.2 times times as fast as Apache on these tests by average, and a lot more reliable!).[/quote] [url=http://www.theorganicagency.com/apache-vs-nginx-performance-comparison/]Reference[/url] And here's Litespeed's benchmarks:[url=http://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/benchmarks/small-static-file] I can't copy and paste them since they're a flash file[/url] [quote]With no keep-alive connections, LiteSpeed Enterprise was 89% faster than Apache 2.2 with pre-fork MPM. 167% faster than Apache 2.4 with event MPM. 15% faster than nginx. slightly faster than OpenLiteSpeed. With keep-alive connections, LiteSpeed Enterprise was 245% faster than Apache 2.2 with pre-fork MPM. 533% faster than Apache 2.4 with event MPM. 67% faster than nginx. slightly faster than OpenLiteSpeed.[/quote] Really really really get off Apache. Apache is HORRIBLE for serving websites with logged in users.
@Aequorin

Okay, that is a big problem, because Apache is really bloated and can't handle a lot of traffic as effectively as HTTP servers like Litespeed and Nginx can. Honestly, ANYTHING is better than running Apache.

Here are some benchmarks with apache vs nginx:

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/TGZJ8_IWGWsn-0M6Txi9rrt7m5shn_Y5wwi475r8ewMatyVQyULg43lQvAvSN1V24P_9Eu_aezpyRMuWRbmf_XPXtjkN6QrsB9zbM7eLs4ESzrtR6_3ft-LgjA[/img]
Quote:
Nginx can also handle on average 40% higher traffic than apache in 300% less time. (Basically, it’s 4.2 times times as fast as Apache on these tests by average, and a lot more reliable!).

Reference

And here's Litespeed's benchmarks: I can't copy and paste them since they're a flash file
Quote:
With no keep-alive connections, LiteSpeed Enterprise was

89% faster than Apache 2.2 with pre-fork MPM.
167% faster than Apache 2.4 with event MPM.
15% faster than nginx.
slightly faster than OpenLiteSpeed.
With keep-alive connections, LiteSpeed Enterprise was

245% faster than Apache 2.2 with pre-fork MPM.
533% faster than Apache 2.4 with event MPM.
67% faster than nginx.
slightly faster than OpenLiteSpeed.

Really really really get off Apache. Apache is HORRIBLE for serving websites with logged in users.
@Helmintio, thank you very much for the information, we've been aware of this for some time and are working on a long-term solution. Please understand that we will not be able to go into an in depth, detailed discussion of our back-end services on our public forums.
@Helmintio, thank you very much for the information, we've been aware of this for some time and are working on a long-term solution. Please understand that we will not be able to go into an in depth, detailed discussion of our back-end services on our public forums.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13