Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | French horn?
I've been considering learning the french horn and I have a few questions for anybody that plays it.

How hard is it to learn? I've heard it is one of the hardest brass instruments to learn.

How much does it cost? I have looked in different places and I have found prices from $270-$3000.
I can also rent one from a local music store for about $40 and then own it after some time.

Is there anything else important I need to know before I start playing? I played piano, violin, and and thought it would be interesting to try french horn.
I've been considering learning the french horn and I have a few questions for anybody that plays it.

How hard is it to learn? I've heard it is one of the hardest brass instruments to learn.

How much does it cost? I have looked in different places and I have found prices from $270-$3000.
I can also rent one from a local music store for about $40 and then own it after some time.

Is there anything else important I need to know before I start playing? I played piano, violin, and and thought it would be interesting to try french horn.
That's just the way the beans bake, hon.
@cheesetiger
You called?

I started out with the Horn, so it wasn't hard for me. I think the only reason it's hard is probably the amount of air it takes to blow through it. Roughly 17ft of tubing to blow through to make a sound can be tough. Imagine going from a Trumpet, which has about 5 ft of tubing, to 17ft.

Another thing is that The way you play it isn't "normal" for a brass instrument. Hand in the bell, resting on your leg. So that might be a reason to.

Prices depend on what kind you get. A single horn with no thumb trigger will more than likely be cheapest by far. Double horns second, and then triple horns. Thumb triggers just make hitting high and low notes easier, but not necessary. So you're about right on the price range.

I think renting is a good idea first. Get to know the hows of the instrument and see if you like it before you buy one for yourself.

Here's some fun facts (:

-The French Horn is actually from German descent. Why it's called french idk. Many musicians just call it Horn now a days.
-You can play in both Treble and Bass clef. I always played in Treble, but my fingering chart had Bass clef notes on it.
-Get ready to play "Find the Spit!" You're gonna have to rotate it in a circle with a few tubes pulled out till all the spits out. Blow into it and if it makes a gurgle noise, it still has spit in it.
-It's the third highest voice in the brass fam. Fun fun. But it can also go realllllly low.

Let me know if you need anymore info! I played the horn for about 7 years, and would love to get back into it.

EDIT:
I fORGOT

So the Horn uses rotary valves, strings make them open/close as you push on the triggers. I would learn how to re-string a horn if you're wanting to buy one, unless you know someone who can do it for you.
@cheesetiger
You called?

I started out with the Horn, so it wasn't hard for me. I think the only reason it's hard is probably the amount of air it takes to blow through it. Roughly 17ft of tubing to blow through to make a sound can be tough. Imagine going from a Trumpet, which has about 5 ft of tubing, to 17ft.

Another thing is that The way you play it isn't "normal" for a brass instrument. Hand in the bell, resting on your leg. So that might be a reason to.

Prices depend on what kind you get. A single horn with no thumb trigger will more than likely be cheapest by far. Double horns second, and then triple horns. Thumb triggers just make hitting high and low notes easier, but not necessary. So you're about right on the price range.

I think renting is a good idea first. Get to know the hows of the instrument and see if you like it before you buy one for yourself.

Here's some fun facts (:

-The French Horn is actually from German descent. Why it's called french idk. Many musicians just call it Horn now a days.
-You can play in both Treble and Bass clef. I always played in Treble, but my fingering chart had Bass clef notes on it.
-Get ready to play "Find the Spit!" You're gonna have to rotate it in a circle with a few tubes pulled out till all the spits out. Blow into it and if it makes a gurgle noise, it still has spit in it.
-It's the third highest voice in the brass fam. Fun fun. But it can also go realllllly low.

Let me know if you need anymore info! I played the horn for about 7 years, and would love to get back into it.

EDIT:
I fORGOT

So the Horn uses rotary valves, strings make them open/close as you push on the triggers. I would learn how to re-string a horn if you're wanting to buy one, unless you know someone who can do it for you.
ooo IJkKw0f.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
ADULT LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
@fourr , thank you very much! May I ask what the difference between a single horn, double horn, and triple horn is?
@fourr , thank you very much! May I ask what the difference between a single horn, double horn, and triple horn is?
[center][size=2]@cheesetiger Sure thing! So a single horn has one set of tuning tubes. [img]http://www.conn-selmer.com/files/7113/6992/3367/14D-done.png[/img] Single is most common I believe. It's what I started out with. F is used for single horns. Double Horns have two sets, and usually a thumb trigger. [img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM2MA==/z/txYAAOxyOlhSuKNa/$_3.JPG?set_id=2.png[/img] Doubles are basically two horns in one, and will be easier to hit high notes. F and B flat. Triple Horns are pretty new, and not many people use, or like them. [img]http://media.wwbw.com/is/image/MMGS7/YHR-891-Custom-Series-Triple-French-Horn/463210000000000-00-500x500.jpg[/img] Three sets of tubes and even easier to hit high notes. Three instruments in one. F, B flat, and a descant horn. Some musicians consider a triple horn cheating, because it's easy to get high notes. I would consider a double horn with a thumb trigger. The TT will help hit higher notes and lower notes, as it makes the horn into a B flat Horn.
@cheesetiger
Sure thing!

So a single horn has one set of tuning tubes.
14D-done.png
Single is most common I believe. It's what I started out with.
F is used for single horns.

Double Horns have two sets, and usually a thumb trigger.
$_3.JPG?set_id=2.png
Doubles are basically two horns in one, and will be easier to hit high notes.
F and B flat.

Triple Horns are pretty new, and not many people use, or like them.
463210000000000-00-500x500.jpg
Three sets of tubes and even easier to hit high notes. Three instruments in one.
F, B flat, and a descant horn.

Some musicians consider a triple horn cheating, because it's easy to get high notes.
I would consider a double horn with a thumb trigger. The TT will help hit higher notes and lower notes, as it makes the horn into a B flat Horn.
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
ADULT LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
@Fourr, Thank you very much!
@Fourr, Thank you very much!
@cheesetiger
No problem ^^

I got the triple horn mixed up.

It's used by professional orchestras, but rarely anywhere else because they cost so much.
I think I read somewhere that musicians feel like it's cheating.
@cheesetiger
No problem ^^

I got the triple horn mixed up.

It's used by professional orchestras, but rarely anywhere else because they cost so much.
I think I read somewhere that musicians feel like it's cheating.
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
ADULT LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
@cheesetiger

the big thing I've noticed with French horn is that pitch accuracy matters more since the intervals are so close together. You can get way more notes going up and down on a French horn than you can on a trumpet, if that makes sense.

Playing piano helps. I'm a music education student, and typically they will try to throw a piano student on French horn because their ears should already have some musical training.

Another tip:
DO NOT BUY BRAND NEW EBAY HORNS FOR CHEAP. They are very unreliable horns, and in most cases if they get damaged a music repair store will not be able to fix them due to being made of cheap parts (and sometimes random parts from different brands!)

If you're looking to buy, make sure you buy a reputable brand like Jupiter or Holton. You can find decent used ones for a nice price, and when they get damaged at least they can be repaired!
@cheesetiger

the big thing I've noticed with French horn is that pitch accuracy matters more since the intervals are so close together. You can get way more notes going up and down on a French horn than you can on a trumpet, if that makes sense.

Playing piano helps. I'm a music education student, and typically they will try to throw a piano student on French horn because their ears should already have some musical training.

Another tip:
DO NOT BUY BRAND NEW EBAY HORNS FOR CHEAP. They are very unreliable horns, and in most cases if they get damaged a music repair store will not be able to fix them due to being made of cheap parts (and sometimes random parts from different brands!)

If you're looking to buy, make sure you buy a reputable brand like Jupiter or Holton. You can find decent used ones for a nice price, and when they get damaged at least they can be repaired!
@notarealdragon Thank you for telling me. I live near a music store that has a Jupiter that I can rent for $40 a month. They also sell used horns in good condition.
@notarealdragon Thank you for telling me. I live near a music store that has a Jupiter that I can rent for $40 a month. They also sell used horns in good condition.
Heya! It's actually been kind of a while since I picked up a Horn but it was the first instrument I ever learned! I thought I could contribute a bit ^^;
Basically, a lot of the pitch changes happen in the lip (waaay more than trumpets or even mellophones) so you can get away with fudging the fingerings pretty easily. Don't let that happen. It takes frequent practice, too, to keep your lips in shape and all. Fourr's advice is all really good and I second all of it.
I don't think it's actually more difficult than other brass, it's just different enough to weird brass players out.
Another thing is that for me, I learned on a single and switched to a double and ended up not using thr thumb trigger much at all. That was probably just me but, in my eyes as a (very) casual player, a double horn is a luxury and not a necessity unless you're going really high or really low. (Plus they cost a lot more :V) But I know many serious players that would strongly disagree haha.
Heya! It's actually been kind of a while since I picked up a Horn but it was the first instrument I ever learned! I thought I could contribute a bit ^^;
Basically, a lot of the pitch changes happen in the lip (waaay more than trumpets or even mellophones) so you can get away with fudging the fingerings pretty easily. Don't let that happen. It takes frequent practice, too, to keep your lips in shape and all. Fourr's advice is all really good and I second all of it.
I don't think it's actually more difficult than other brass, it's just different enough to weird brass players out.
Another thing is that for me, I learned on a single and switched to a double and ended up not using thr thumb trigger much at all. That was probably just me but, in my eyes as a (very) casual player, a double horn is a luxury and not a necessity unless you're going really high or really low. (Plus they cost a lot more :V) But I know many serious players that would strongly disagree haha.
iiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz04t.pngiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz085.pngiiiiiiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz0bq.png