Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Skill required for an art shop?
1 2 3
I was just wondering how much skill it takes to have an art shop. I know you have to be actually good at art to charge high prices, but what about selling cheap? [img]http://i.imgur.com/Ls34SN6.png[/img] This is about as good as I can reliably do. Is this good enough for a cheap little art shop? If so, about what prices do you think would be reasonable?
I was just wondering how much skill it takes to have an art shop. I know you have to be actually good at art to charge high prices, but what about selling cheap?

Ls34SN6.png
This is about as good as I can reliably do. Is this good enough for a cheap little art shop?
If so, about what prices do you think would be reasonable?
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
Hey, it's something I'd buy! I'm not experienced with art selling or anything though, so I can't think of any range of prices, sorry.
Hey, it's something I'd buy! I'm not experienced with art selling or anything though, so I can't think of any range of prices, sorry.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
I think they're really cute! And the more you do it the better you'll get. If no one seems interested try doing stuff for free to improve your skills and get people to know who you are. I've gotten a few returning customers after I did some free drawing requests for a bit.
I think they're really cute! And the more you do it the better you'll get. If no one seems interested try doing stuff for free to improve your skills and get people to know who you are. I've gotten a few returning customers after I did some free drawing requests for a bit.
Tnv9hAT.png JrZGMGx.png
mlHpBMC.png
1YB0OjO.png
5hF3FGk.png
YMPbu9R.png
10-30kt is my best guess. I've found that the prices for art are all over the place and personally I feel like plenty of the art selling above 100kt is low quality for that price, and a couple shops with lower priced art but superior quality to an 800kt shop.

Everyone selling this stuff: please take no offense, I clearly have a different taste in art than y'all
10-30kt is my best guess. I've found that the prices for art are all over the place and personally I feel like plenty of the art selling above 100kt is low quality for that price, and a couple shops with lower priced art but superior quality to an 800kt shop.

Everyone selling this stuff: please take no offense, I clearly have a different taste in art than y'all
If I make any mistakes (spelling, grammar, etc.) please correct me so that I don't end up hating myself later.
It's hard to price art; there's different tastes, people are selling similar things, ect. It's really up the the seller. One good way is to put yourself in the buyer's shoes: how much would you be willing to pay? Do you think that price makes the amount of effort you're putting into it worth it?
It's hard to price art; there's different tastes, people are selling similar things, ect. It's really up the the seller. One good way is to put yourself in the buyer's shoes: how much would you be willing to pay? Do you think that price makes the amount of effort you're putting into it worth it?
?J1zcN=party.png
Usually smaller drawings are priced less. I've seen adopts similar to those for 20kt? I'd have to agree with the guys above me. If you aren't selling, go and flex your muscles in the CC for a little bit and once you get some interest in your work, start a shop. Art shops require a lot of persistence to get going when you start from rock bottom but it isn't impossible to make a decent amount of pixel money once you get going.

Perhaps rather than just drawing dragons you could find a little niche. Dragons in little jars and such are quite popular if done right. Find a thing that is individual to you and work at it.

Just price at how much you think your time is worth and if nobody bites, keep practicing! As you said, there's a certain point of skill that people will start paying at. If you focus on improvement, something good is bound to happen eventually :)
Usually smaller drawings are priced less. I've seen adopts similar to those for 20kt? I'd have to agree with the guys above me. If you aren't selling, go and flex your muscles in the CC for a little bit and once you get some interest in your work, start a shop. Art shops require a lot of persistence to get going when you start from rock bottom but it isn't impossible to make a decent amount of pixel money once you get going.

Perhaps rather than just drawing dragons you could find a little niche. Dragons in little jars and such are quite popular if done right. Find a thing that is individual to you and work at it.

Just price at how much you think your time is worth and if nobody bites, keep practicing! As you said, there's a certain point of skill that people will start paying at. If you focus on improvement, something good is bound to happen eventually :)
COT3Kxt.gif Etsy
start with free and then overtime think
"do i need more money?"

then rase up your prices.

just get your feet wet, thats the first step in learning how to swim after all.
start with free and then overtime think
"do i need more money?"

then rase up your prices.

just get your feet wet, thats the first step in learning how to swim after all.
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
[quote name="EldritchBaguette" date=2017-06-14 19:28:14] 10-30kt is my best guess. I've found that the prices for art are all over the place and personally I feel like plenty of the art selling above 100kt is low quality for that price, and a couple shops with lower priced art but superior quality to an 800kt shop. Everyone selling this stuff: please take no offense, I clearly have a different taste in art than y'all [/quote]Yeah, dude, no. At least 70-100kt for this and that's really lowballing.
EldritchBaguette wrote on 2017-06-14:

Yeah, dude, no. At least 70-100kt for this and that's really lowballing.
Hi! I'm Jake or Rads
lwN7WD5.png FRT+9 | he/him

accent shop
xx Silhouette of a flying dragon
@EldritchBaguette
Art prices are super weird, haha. I can't tell how much of it is people starting out without a good grasp of how to price things and how much of it is art being really subjective.

Thank you for the advice!

@Baelfin
I looked in your art shop. Wow do I wish I could do art like that, it is absolutely adorable. Thank you for the advice! I think I know where I might be spending some treasure soon, once I recover from the Ice Sprite I bought.

@catgame21234
I'll admit, I'm only considering an art shop at all because I started with the idea of 'I need more dragon money.' I'm primarily a writing person, but that doesn't really turn a profit. Doing some free stuff for dragon practice, exposure, and general interest checking seems like a really good idea though. Might try that.

@Parda
Wait, are you actually talking about my silly artderp? I hope not, hahaha. As much as I'd appreciate a compliment like that, I think someone would have to be a little crazy to pay that much for anything I made.
@EldritchBaguette
Art prices are super weird, haha. I can't tell how much of it is people starting out without a good grasp of how to price things and how much of it is art being really subjective.

Thank you for the advice!

@Baelfin
I looked in your art shop. Wow do I wish I could do art like that, it is absolutely adorable. Thank you for the advice! I think I know where I might be spending some treasure soon, once I recover from the Ice Sprite I bought.

@catgame21234
I'll admit, I'm only considering an art shop at all because I started with the idea of 'I need more dragon money.' I'm primarily a writing person, but that doesn't really turn a profit. Doing some free stuff for dragon practice, exposure, and general interest checking seems like a really good idea though. Might try that.

@Parda
Wait, are you actually talking about my silly artderp? I hope not, hahaha. As much as I'd appreciate a compliment like that, I think someone would have to be a little crazy to pay that much for anything I made.
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
People love adorable chibis like these. I think they would definitely sell. You could probably charge 20-30k, with maybe an extra 5-10k for accents and apparel if you can do it on that small a scale.
People love adorable chibis like these. I think they would definitely sell. You could probably charge 20-30k, with maybe an extra 5-10k for accents and apparel if you can do it on that small a scale.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
1 2 3