Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Fidget spinners: Yea or nay?
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14
Nay, I don't find them helpful/calming. Fidget cubes have helped with my anxiety though
Nay, I don't find them helpful/calming. Fidget cubes have helped with my anxiety though
sfgdgdf_by_jebiblue-dcx2jm8.gif
god no

as someone with adhd, i thought it was nice that people were normalizing stuff like that for people who actually NEED them but neurotypical people have ruined them because they think they're cool toys
god no

as someone with adhd, i thought it was nice that people were normalizing stuff like that for people who actually NEED them but neurotypical people have ruined them because they think they're cool toys
you really think someone would do that?
just go on the internet and tell lies?
I don't really see the appeal? I mean, as someone without ADHD/autism. As something to help neurodivergent folks deal, I think it's pretty neat. Same with those fidget cube things. But as someone without any kind of need for something like that? I don't understand the fad at all. But then, I don't understand most fads. *shrugs*
I don't really see the appeal? I mean, as someone without ADHD/autism. As something to help neurodivergent folks deal, I think it's pretty neat. Same with those fidget cube things. But as someone without any kind of need for something like that? I don't understand the fad at all. But then, I don't understand most fads. *shrugs*
i dont care for them
i dont care for them
I have one of these as well as a fidget cube and I say yea to them, Sometimes they help me when I'm nervous or anxious, Although it's not something I use all the time. I use my fidget cube more often and it's more so my main fidget toy, I mostly use it when I can't keep my hands still or I feel like I just need to have something to mess with, or just something to hold. So yeah I guess fidget spinners are decent but I'f prefer another fidget toy like a fidget cube over it. I also feel like with all the popularity it's gotten with the several different types and all that stuff had made people dislike them, Which I can understand because they're taking it to the point where they're making ones with fancy shapes or even ones made with gold. Also people taking them to school and using them in class or just as a thing to mess with for fun or things like that have probably made them lose some liking.

So basically a Yea if I don't have my fidget cube on me or if I just feel like using it for no reason.

(Sorry if this is bad I didn't look it over for mistakes)
I have one of these as well as a fidget cube and I say yea to them, Sometimes they help me when I'm nervous or anxious, Although it's not something I use all the time. I use my fidget cube more often and it's more so my main fidget toy, I mostly use it when I can't keep my hands still or I feel like I just need to have something to mess with, or just something to hold. So yeah I guess fidget spinners are decent but I'f prefer another fidget toy like a fidget cube over it. I also feel like with all the popularity it's gotten with the several different types and all that stuff had made people dislike them, Which I can understand because they're taking it to the point where they're making ones with fancy shapes or even ones made with gold. Also people taking them to school and using them in class or just as a thing to mess with for fun or things like that have probably made them lose some liking.

So basically a Yea if I don't have my fidget cube on me or if I just feel like using it for no reason.

(Sorry if this is bad I didn't look it over for mistakes)
[quote name="Deva" date=2017-05-22 09:20:37] Nay, I don't find them helpful/calming. Fidget cubes have helped with my anxiety though [/quote] I've actually highly considered getting myself a fidget cube to help with my anxiety. As for fidget spinners, as many others have said, nay. They were meant to be something helpful but now they're just everywhere and have even hurt some people who have used them improperly. It's a bit like turning wheelchairs into fun toys, if you ask me.
Deva wrote on 2017-05-22:

I've actually highly considered getting myself a fidget cube to help with my anxiety.

As for fidget spinners, as many others have said, nay. They were meant to be something helpful but now they're just everywhere and have even hurt some people who have used them improperly. It's a bit like turning wheelchairs into fun toys, if you ask me.
eg1jZa2.png
Yay? Yeah it's annoying that they're everywhere and most people using them probably don't "need" them.(I mean I guess? I don't know everyone's lives or how they focus. So really I shouldn't presume.) but it normalizes stim/fidget toys which is important. Plus I think the issue is less "They're distracting" and more "people who use may not know how to fidget properly."

IDK I don't have one(mostly b/c I'm lazy.) But I don't feel like all the blacklash is warranted.
Yay? Yeah it's annoying that they're everywhere and most people using them probably don't "need" them.(I mean I guess? I don't know everyone's lives or how they focus. So really I shouldn't presume.) but it normalizes stim/fidget toys which is important. Plus I think the issue is less "They're distracting" and more "people who use may not know how to fidget properly."

IDK I don't have one(mostly b/c I'm lazy.) But I don't feel like all the blacklash is warranted.
[quote name="chamaeleon" date=2017-05-19 14:56:52] @TimeWatcher (edit:forgot to tag!) Nay. There have been multiple studies conducted that have concluded that fidget spinners worsen the symptoms that cause distractions. The purpose of the spinner is claimed to be to help those with ADHD/ Autism by spinning it and "fidgeting". But a spinner is more visual. You are inclined to watch it spin for a long duration, not roll it back and forth in your hands. If anything, that is a distraction in itself since you cannot constantly keep it moving on your own. I think a fidget cube is better, as it's not something you need to look at, and it has multiple options to keep people busy and it can stay in a pocket. [/quote] You know, this actually kind of makes sense. I was also gonna say, I wouldn't use one of these because it wouldn't work for me - for my ADHD/anxiety I'm better off just with a spinner ring, which I already have -but I am otherwise in favor of stim objects like this. I could actually see someone with anxiety benefiting from this more than someone with ADHD in itself, because like you say it's visual - so it might be soothingly repetitive? *shrug* But yeah, this wouldn't work for me. Fidget rings work for me.
chamaeleon wrote on 2017-05-19:
@TimeWatcher (edit:forgot to tag!)

Nay. There have been multiple studies conducted that have concluded that fidget spinners worsen the symptoms that cause distractions.
The purpose of the spinner is claimed to be to help those with ADHD/ Autism by spinning it and "fidgeting". But a spinner is more visual. You are inclined to watch it spin for a long duration, not roll it back and forth in your hands. If anything, that is a distraction in itself since you cannot constantly keep it moving on your own.

I think a fidget cube is better, as it's not something you need to look at, and it has multiple options to keep people busy and it can stay in a pocket.

You know, this actually kind of makes sense.

I was also gonna say, I wouldn't use one of these because it wouldn't work for me - for my ADHD/anxiety I'm better off just with a spinner ring, which I already have -but I am otherwise in favor of stim objects like this.

I could actually see someone with anxiety benefiting from this more than someone with ADHD in itself, because like you say it's visual - so it might be soothingly repetitive? *shrug* But yeah, this wouldn't work for me. Fidget rings work for me.
I prefer fidget cubes. Spinners just distract me, but I can mess with the cube subconsciously and it really helps.

But if a spinner helps someone else, good for them :)
I prefer fidget cubes. Spinners just distract me, but I can mess with the cube subconsciously and it really helps.

But if a spinner helps someone else, good for them :)
TBh4eRz.png
+8 FR Time
PWYW Name Shop | Little Moon Hatchery | PWYW Lore Shop | Wishlist
Willing to take back any dragons you've received from me!
I used to use them in class, but it's really hard to focus on class and the spinner at the same time so I stopped. It helps when you're bored though, like waiting for food at a restaurant.

EDIT: typo :P
I used to use them in class, but it's really hard to focus on class and the spinner at the same time so I stopped. It helps when you're bored though, like waiting for food at a restaurant.

EDIT: typo :P
BhWDcLm.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14