Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | shouldnt it be Wavecrest Neptunalia??
i mean, Saturn was more like the forerunner god of the harvest and such so Saturnalia would be more suited for Nature, it seems to me.....

Neptune was the god of the seas!!!

so, ???
i mean, Saturn was more like the forerunner god of the harvest and such so Saturnalia would be more suited for Nature, it seems to me.....

Neptune was the god of the seas!!!

so, ???
@KingScotty I'm not that well-versed in Roman Mythology and stuff like that, but I have read about Saturnalia in one of my textbooks from school. Neptunalia, however, I haven't the slightest idea about what that is. I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing?
@KingScotty I'm not that well-versed in Roman Mythology and stuff like that, but I have read about Saturnalia in one of my textbooks from school. Neptunalia, however, I haven't the slightest idea about what that is. I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing?
yeeet.png
[quote name="mine" date=2017-04-25 21:54:02] I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing? [/quote] I think this might be it, too. In the dictionary, a "saturnalia" is "a time of unrestrained revelry and merrymaking". It's basically about having fun rather than honoring gods (and Neptune isn't in the Sornieth universe, as far as I know).
mine wrote on 2017-04-25:
I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing?
I think this might be it, too. In the dictionary, a "saturnalia" is "a time of unrestrained revelry and merrymaking". It's basically about having fun rather than honoring gods (and Neptune isn't in the Sornieth universe, as far as I know).
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Kaelthas

Do you have anything on this?
@Kaelthas

Do you have anything on this?
STW9f2s.png
@InkdemonCuddles @KingScotty has a point. Saturn was a roman harvest god and thus had nothing to do with water, besides Neptune being his child. It had bothered me that it was called Saturnalia, as the ancient roman festival was celebrated during december and generally doesn't have anything to do with water, unless you count drinking a lot of wine into water. Which I guess one wouldn't.

Neptunalia would be a way of going about it, but Neptune did not have such big holidays. I can't actually recall any specific holidays dedicated to him.
I also doubt that (as that is what the Saturnalia evolved into) it's meant to liken wavecrest to christmas or new year.

My guess is, albeit kind of sober, that it was mainly taken cause it sounded good. I think Saturnalia are probably the most well known ancient holidays, and have a good reputation unlike some others i can think of.
I guess it's just a name, much like the riot of rot is also kind of a celebration and not per se a riot, i guess. Still a bothersome name, I agree. While with the time of the original festival in december I might not give it to nature but regarding Saturn you're right. He would be better suited for nature and I have no idea why this was taken for water.
(sorry for rambling)
@InkdemonCuddles @KingScotty has a point. Saturn was a roman harvest god and thus had nothing to do with water, besides Neptune being his child. It had bothered me that it was called Saturnalia, as the ancient roman festival was celebrated during december and generally doesn't have anything to do with water, unless you count drinking a lot of wine into water. Which I guess one wouldn't.

Neptunalia would be a way of going about it, but Neptune did not have such big holidays. I can't actually recall any specific holidays dedicated to him.
I also doubt that (as that is what the Saturnalia evolved into) it's meant to liken wavecrest to christmas or new year.

My guess is, albeit kind of sober, that it was mainly taken cause it sounded good. I think Saturnalia are probably the most well known ancient holidays, and have a good reputation unlike some others i can think of.
I guess it's just a name, much like the riot of rot is also kind of a celebration and not per se a riot, i guess. Still a bothersome name, I agree. While with the time of the original festival in december I might not give it to nature but regarding Saturn you're right. He would be better suited for nature and I have no idea why this was taken for water.
(sorry for rambling)
TnnXl0q.png
i'm sure that Saturn was a Titan not one of the gods In Greek he was called Cronus
i'm sure that Saturn was a Titan not one of the gods In Greek he was called Cronus
tumblr_ozug4sbGtU1wvvm88o1_100.pngtumblr_p1dqd7XVPE1wvvm88o5_100.png
yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense but a saturnalia is used to mean a celebration or festival. afaik neptune doesnt have any major holidays or festivals associated with him
yeah it doesn't make a ton of sense but a saturnalia is used to mean a celebration or festival. afaik neptune doesnt have any major holidays or festivals associated with him
bucky :: he/him :: +3 fr time :: fantasy john cena

PiPXAsD.png
[quote name="Disillusionist" date=2017-04-25 22:13:18] [quote name="mine" date=2017-04-25 21:54:02] I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing? [/quote] I think this might be it, too. In the dictionary, a "saturnalia" is "a time of unrestrained revelry and merrymaking". It's basically about having fun rather than honoring gods (and Neptune isn't in the Sornieth universe, as far as I know). [/quote] I think this is the best answer. Regardless of our Earth mythology, it doesn't exist in Sonrieth, so I doubt they'd name something for a myth that doesn't exist as far as FR is concerned. It's just a good time!
Disillusionist wrote on 2017-04-25:
mine wrote on 2017-04-25:
I think FR used Saturnalia to convey the meaning that it's a big festival, rather than the honor-to-Saturn thing?
I think this might be it, too. In the dictionary, a "saturnalia" is "a time of unrestrained revelry and merrymaking". It's basically about having fun rather than honoring gods (and Neptune isn't in the Sornieth universe, as far as I know).

I think this is the best answer. Regardless of our Earth mythology, it doesn't exist in Sonrieth, so I doubt they'd name something for a myth that doesn't exist as far as FR is concerned. It's just a good time!
lGriifT.png
Because Neptune doesn't exist in lore But Saturn does [item=secondary gene: saturn]
Because Neptune doesn't exist in lore

But Saturn does

Secondary Gene: Saturn
Yeah warranted nitpicking aside it's all about the term Saturnalia being used in a general 'big party' kind of way, though agreed it would have fewer problems applied to a nature festival... as for Neptunalia, it's just too obscure unless you matched all the festivals to the mythology
Yeah warranted nitpicking aside it's all about the term Saturnalia being used in a general 'big party' kind of way, though agreed it would have fewer problems applied to a nature festival... as for Neptunalia, it's just too obscure unless you matched all the festivals to the mythology
plague3_zpseb3fb867.png