Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Like why Americans.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
also, to explain why we use fahrenheit instead of celsius:

fahrenheit is scaled to how humans feel temperature. For example, 100 is very, very hot, and 0 is very, very cold. Celsius is used more by scientists, and isn't scaled to people, so it actually tends to not be as accurate/useful when referring to just daily temperature cos celsius needs to go into decimals and such to get close to the accuracy of fahrenheit. As for the measurement system, I don't have an explanation for that one, sorry XD I really prefer metric.

here's my explanation for why we say the dates the way we do from my previous post (just so it's all in one place):

I believe the reason why we say mm/dd/yy is because that's the way you would say it in conversation. For example, if asked what day christmas is, I would say December 25th, not the 25th of December. And if asked what day a party happened last year, I would say Month Day, Year. Not Day of Month, Year. Of course, this makes the fourth of july the only hilarious exception lol

so really, the system isn't THAT convoluted or stupid. the american system is just more practical towards everyday use.
also, to explain why we use fahrenheit instead of celsius:

fahrenheit is scaled to how humans feel temperature. For example, 100 is very, very hot, and 0 is very, very cold. Celsius is used more by scientists, and isn't scaled to people, so it actually tends to not be as accurate/useful when referring to just daily temperature cos celsius needs to go into decimals and such to get close to the accuracy of fahrenheit. As for the measurement system, I don't have an explanation for that one, sorry XD I really prefer metric.

here's my explanation for why we say the dates the way we do from my previous post (just so it's all in one place):

I believe the reason why we say mm/dd/yy is because that's the way you would say it in conversation. For example, if asked what day christmas is, I would say December 25th, not the 25th of December. And if asked what day a party happened last year, I would say Month Day, Year. Not Day of Month, Year. Of course, this makes the fourth of july the only hilarious exception lol

so really, the system isn't THAT convoluted or stupid. the american system is just more practical towards everyday use.
TAf7Ps2.png DAyVqxum.png
As a paper pusher, YYYY/MM/DD. Always. On everything.

As a Canadian,
Metric for distances.
Metric for science.
Celsius for temperatures.
Imperial for cooking.
Imperial for height/weight.

Both grey and gray are acceptable.

Someone save us.
As a paper pusher, YYYY/MM/DD. Always. On everything.

As a Canadian,
Metric for distances.
Metric for science.
Celsius for temperatures.
Imperial for cooking.
Imperial for height/weight.

Both grey and gray are acceptable.

Someone save us.
tumblr_inline_n1xc79Kcic1rb3m8r.png
I moved to New Zealand and it took me a while to get used to DD/MM/YYYY, but now it makes perfect sense to me. And like a lot of you mentioned the reason for MM/DD/YYYY is because it's how we speak, dd/mm/yyyy is how kiwi speak of dates anyway. We say '1st of January' not 'January the 1st'. Well, both way is fine we tend to use the former more often.

Though where I grew up (Taiwan), mm/dd/yyyy makes more sense in Mandarin. It's not like English that it is correct either way if you put day or month first. In Mandarin it's always month then day, never the other way around. But then again, the actual way Chinese people say dates when it involves the year is yyyy/mm/dd, not putting year at the end either, so.... lol.
I moved to New Zealand and it took me a while to get used to DD/MM/YYYY, but now it makes perfect sense to me. And like a lot of you mentioned the reason for MM/DD/YYYY is because it's how we speak, dd/mm/yyyy is how kiwi speak of dates anyway. We say '1st of January' not 'January the 1st'. Well, both way is fine we tend to use the former more often.

Though where I grew up (Taiwan), mm/dd/yyyy makes more sense in Mandarin. It's not like English that it is correct either way if you put day or month first. In Mandarin it's always month then day, never the other way around. But then again, the actual way Chinese people say dates when it involves the year is yyyy/mm/dd, not putting year at the end either, so.... lol.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
I don't even know-- as an American it bothers me that the whole world uses a system that makes so much sense and we haven't switched to it :/
I don't even know-- as an American it bothers me that the whole world uses a system that makes so much sense and we haven't switched to it :/
hdEgTfF.gif5caOtnS.gifTvGyETb.gif
dd/mm/yr confuses the life out of me why do you want the day first its not 9th November its November 9th like what the heckie
dd/mm/yr confuses the life out of me why do you want the day first its not 9th November its November 9th like what the heckie
mercy_winged_victory_by_sciencenomenclature-dbmxt2p.pngwebp_net_resizeimage_by_sciencenomenclature-dbm36b4.png
Makes me think of this sketch by John Finnemore. One of my favourites. XD
Makes me think of this sketch by John Finnemore. One of my favourites. XD
[quote name="Sai" date=2016-11-09 03:43:28] Because we want to be unique :> [/quote]
Sai wrote on 2016-11-09:

Because we want to be unique :>
jtb7ed.jpg
I like being confusing, leave me alone.
I like being confusing, leave me alone.
ZVpCPil.png
@Maltshakes
this is sooooo late and sorry if someone else has already mentioned it, but Fahrenheit isn't arbitrary, it's based around the temperature of the human body.
@Maltshakes
this is sooooo late and sorry if someone else has already mentioned it, but Fahrenheit isn't arbitrary, it's based around the temperature of the human body.
kay, she/her
fr +3, usa / shop
cute_chibi_hauttie_by_kyasaki-db5z4pm.png
@Ferid

No one had mentioned it. The body temperature used to be the upper limit for Fahrenheit before they discovered the temperature of boiling water, now it's not used. It wasn't even accurate at the time and was an estimate.

But nothings perfect, and the Celsius scale used to be backwards (with 0 degrees being boiling and 100 degrees for freezing), but at least they fixed Celsius to make more sense!

@Ferid

No one had mentioned it. The body temperature used to be the upper limit for Fahrenheit before they discovered the temperature of boiling water, now it's not used. It wasn't even accurate at the time and was an estimate.

But nothings perfect, and the Celsius scale used to be backwards (with 0 degrees being boiling and 100 degrees for freezing), but at least they fixed Celsius to make more sense!

WCaffsig.pngWChubsig.pngWCsigraffle.pngWCIFsig.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10