Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Shojo recs
1 2
@may1325

True, very true. :D

Oh and I've started reading 1/2 prince as well which is by a Chinese artist so technically a manhwa and not a manga since it's Chinese manga. don't think it's available in the US though so I've mostly been reading it on-line translated into english since while I do read Chinese my reading ability isn't that great. It's a mix of shoujo, shonen, but it's set in the year 2100 and a game company has developed a virtual reality video game with 99% realism. The main female protagonist makes a bet with her twin brother that she won't wn the game using her feminine wiles, so to speak and creates a male character. The entire plot is about her playing and winning the game as her male character in the video game.

It is the year 2100 A.D., and humans have developed a virtual reality game with a realism level of 99%. Feng Lan, due to a bet with her twin brother, vows to succeed in playing the game without using her "female benefits." Due to this, she becomes the first and only female to play as a male character in "Second Life." As her infamy rises as a bloodthirsty warrior, can she keep her identity a secret from her real life acquaintances whom she has beaten up?

also forgot to mention that a lot of Rumiko Takahashi's mangas are kind of classic. I remember being into Maison Ikkoku in high school. I also remember reading Kare Kano as well.
@may1325

True, very true. :D

Oh and I've started reading 1/2 prince as well which is by a Chinese artist so technically a manhwa and not a manga since it's Chinese manga. don't think it's available in the US though so I've mostly been reading it on-line translated into english since while I do read Chinese my reading ability isn't that great. It's a mix of shoujo, shonen, but it's set in the year 2100 and a game company has developed a virtual reality video game with 99% realism. The main female protagonist makes a bet with her twin brother that she won't wn the game using her feminine wiles, so to speak and creates a male character. The entire plot is about her playing and winning the game as her male character in the video game.

It is the year 2100 A.D., and humans have developed a virtual reality game with a realism level of 99%. Feng Lan, due to a bet with her twin brother, vows to succeed in playing the game without using her "female benefits." Due to this, she becomes the first and only female to play as a male character in "Second Life." As her infamy rises as a bloodthirsty warrior, can she keep her identity a secret from her real life acquaintances whom she has beaten up?

also forgot to mention that a lot of Rumiko Takahashi's mangas are kind of classic. I remember being into Maison Ikkoku in high school. I also remember reading Kare Kano as well.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.- Le petit prince.
@Sedai

omg I adore rumiko takahashi tbh one pound gospel was so cute! I haven't read a lot of her stuff besides inyusaha, one pound gospel, and the beginnings of rinama but she's still pmuch my idol ngl
@Sedai

omg I adore rumiko takahashi tbh one pound gospel was so cute! I haven't read a lot of her stuff besides inyusaha, one pound gospel, and the beginnings of rinama but she's still pmuch my idol ngl
Sw5PKWg.gif
@shakenzie

I started watching Nana awhile back but ever since netflix took it down I've been neglecting it lmao (I should really get on that again!)

and both rose of versailles and revolutionary girl utena have been on my to watch/read for ages tbh so I guess great minds think alike! :D
@shakenzie

I started watching Nana awhile back but ever since netflix took it down I've been neglecting it lmao (I should really get on that again!)

and both rose of versailles and revolutionary girl utena have been on my to watch/read for ages tbh so I guess great minds think alike! :D
Sw5PKWg.gif
@may1325

It's one of her really early works and probably the only one I can think of that's just a straight slice of life story with no fantasy elements incorporated into it. It's about the people that live in a boarding house named Maison Ikkoku and after Urusei Yatsura was the second work she ever published. My first Rumiko Takahashi works were mainly Ranma 1/2 and then Inuyasha and Maison Ikkoku mostly.

Kare Kano isn't by Rumiko Takahashi, but it's a straight shojo relationship manga that follows the main couple from the time they're in high school to the end where they're married and have kids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano
@may1325

It's one of her really early works and probably the only one I can think of that's just a straight slice of life story with no fantasy elements incorporated into it. It's about the people that live in a boarding house named Maison Ikkoku and after Urusei Yatsura was the second work she ever published. My first Rumiko Takahashi works were mainly Ranma 1/2 and then Inuyasha and Maison Ikkoku mostly.

Kare Kano isn't by Rumiko Takahashi, but it's a straight shojo relationship manga that follows the main couple from the time they're in high school to the end where they're married and have kids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.- Le petit prince.
@Sedai well if it's rumiko then you bet I'm gonna read it! thank you for all of these super awesome recs!
@Sedai well if it's rumiko then you bet I'm gonna read it! thank you for all of these super awesome recs!
Sw5PKWg.gif
@may1325

In case no one's mentioned it yet, if you haven't seen Fruit's Basket, I'd strongly recommend it. Both the anime and the manga are great (although, as always the manga goes more in depth and you get to find out if your ship is gonna sink or float).
@may1325

In case no one's mentioned it yet, if you haven't seen Fruit's Basket, I'd strongly recommend it. Both the anime and the manga are great (although, as always the manga goes more in depth and you get to find out if your ship is gonna sink or float).
ice_rune_50x50.png ICEWARDEN_sig.png
@qwigoqwaga

surprisingly I've never read fruit's basket tbh even tho it's been reced sooooo many times but now I'm totally gonna read it since I've heard so many good things about it (also I saw the cow guy on my tumblr dash and I was like "well hot dang")
@qwigoqwaga

surprisingly I've never read fruit's basket tbh even tho it's been reced sooooo many times but now I'm totally gonna read it since I've heard so many good things about it (also I saw the cow guy on my tumblr dash and I was like "well hot dang")
Sw5PKWg.gif
1 2