Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Animated Movie Recommendations?
1 2 3
@Fornax
Does How to Train Your Dragon count? And Finding Dory? Oh and I loved Zootopia, it was very inspiring.
@Fornax
Does How to Train Your Dragon count? And Finding Dory? Oh and I loved Zootopia, it was very inspiring.
TrDrnN6.png ***
Art

Accents
@fornax have a good look at

uhh

Pokemon 2000; the power of one

IM SORRY I REALLY LIKE LUGIA AND I DON'T WATCH MOVIES MUCH OK

@fornax have a good look at

uhh

Pokemon 2000; the power of one

IM SORRY I REALLY LIKE LUGIA AND I DON'T WATCH MOVIES MUCH OK

On hiatus, again--might come on here to see how things are doing but that's all.
@Fornax Lots of great recommendations here! Also voting for: 9, Song of the Sea, Coraline, Summer Wars, and yes to @Pippypip20 for Pokemon 2000!

My personal recommendations:
* Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown -- I have a soft spot for Pokemon movies, OK? XD
* couldn't believe Secret of Kells wasn't yet on this list; it's by the same studio as Song of the Sea and is utterly amazing
* Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
* Bakemono no Ko / The Boy and the Beast
* Wall-E (though I guess you might've seen that already? Same for...)
* Monsters University
* Adventures of Tintin

I'm also interested in Kubo and the Two Strings, April and the Extraordinary World, A Cat in Paris, and Long Way North, but haven't seen any of these yet. I've read that they're amazing, though.
@Fornax Lots of great recommendations here! Also voting for: 9, Song of the Sea, Coraline, Summer Wars, and yes to @Pippypip20 for Pokemon 2000!

My personal recommendations:
* Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown -- I have a soft spot for Pokemon movies, OK? XD
* couldn't believe Secret of Kells wasn't yet on this list; it's by the same studio as Song of the Sea and is utterly amazing
* Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
* Bakemono no Ko / The Boy and the Beast
* Wall-E (though I guess you might've seen that already? Same for...)
* Monsters University
* Adventures of Tintin

I'm also interested in Kubo and the Two Strings, April and the Extraordinary World, A Cat in Paris, and Long Way North, but haven't seen any of these yet. I've read that they're amazing, though.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Fornax

Old but good recommendations, first something silly but different is Quest for Camelot, I remember adoring the movie and I still like it now and really enjoy watching it because I get Disney burn out a lot. Also I just recently re-watched the Iron Giant and I have to say I greatly under-appreciated that movie as a kid, so though I'm pretty sure most people have seen it that one is definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

As far as newer recommendations I'm stuck, anything by Laika is my go to, also The Book of Life, and Secret World of Arriety are not as talked about movies that come to mind that I really enjoyed. Only Yesterday is a Ghibli one I've been meaning too but haven't been able to check out myself yet.

Also Little Mermaid II Return to the Sea...
@Fornax

Old but good recommendations, first something silly but different is Quest for Camelot, I remember adoring the movie and I still like it now and really enjoy watching it because I get Disney burn out a lot. Also I just recently re-watched the Iron Giant and I have to say I greatly under-appreciated that movie as a kid, so though I'm pretty sure most people have seen it that one is definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

As far as newer recommendations I'm stuck, anything by Laika is my go to, also The Book of Life, and Secret World of Arriety are not as talked about movies that come to mind that I really enjoyed. Only Yesterday is a Ghibli one I've been meaning too but haven't been able to check out myself yet.

Also Little Mermaid II Return to the Sea...
giphy.gif
@Fornax
Pretty much everything I first thought of has already been suggested but.. Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki. I belive it's english title is just Wolf Children?

But yeah, I think it's from the same producers as Bakemono no Ko that was suggested few posts ago. I haven't yet seen that one yet myself, but it's trailer looks awesome and I absolutely loved Wolf Children, so I have to go watch it sometime ^^
@Fornax
Pretty much everything I first thought of has already been suggested but.. Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki. I belive it's english title is just Wolf Children?

But yeah, I think it's from the same producers as Bakemono no Ko that was suggested few posts ago. I haven't yet seen that one yet myself, but it's trailer looks awesome and I absolutely loved Wolf Children, so I have to go watch it sometime ^^
nJ9aapY.png pvrYQJc.png QtezsCP.png
[quote name="rosadraconis" date=2016-09-26 12:25:05] @Fornax ANY/ALL STUDIO GHIBLI MOVIES (Specifics: Howl's moving castle, My neighbour totoro, Princess Kaguya, Spirited away and When Marnie was there + all others) Tim Burton's Corpse Bride Coraline Paranorman other stuff depends on your tastes i guess, this is just stuff I have a love for. [/quote] @Fornax I back for those like [size=30] YESYESYESYESYESYESYES SPRITED AWAY AND HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE YESSSS
rosadraconis wrote on 2016-09-26:
@Fornax ANY/ALL STUDIO GHIBLI MOVIES (Specifics: Howl's moving castle, My neighbour totoro, Princess Kaguya, Spirited away and When Marnie was there + all others)

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Coraline

Paranorman

other stuff depends on your tastes i guess, this is just stuff I have a love for.

@Fornax

I back for those like YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

SPRITED AWAY AND HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE YESSSS
inactive! thank you for a good time on this site :)

@Fornax

I'll avoid recommending anything by Disney/Ghibli/Blue Sky/Dreamworks, as these are huge studios and you've probably seen most of their stuff if you're into animation.

"Tekkonkinkreet" is a big favourite of mine! Groovy, beautiful, and knows how to handle its subject maturely.

"Les Triplettes de Belleville" is a brilliant film, though I certainly shouldn't have watched it as a child. From the same director, Sylvan Chomet, I'd also recommend "The Illusionist". If you don't speak French a subbed version should be easy enough to find!

Persepolis is also a very good film, although I preferred the Graphic novel. Not something I'd pick up if you want something cute and lighthearted, but it deals with Iran and the swift in culture because of the political atmosphere in the country very tastefully.

If you're looking to get deeper into animation and experimentation with the medium I'd recommend "Belladonna of sadness", but it's a very, VERY heavy film. It's one of a kind and beautiful though, just.. not a family movie.

I have more I could recommend, but this will do for now?

@Fornax

I'll avoid recommending anything by Disney/Ghibli/Blue Sky/Dreamworks, as these are huge studios and you've probably seen most of their stuff if you're into animation.

"Tekkonkinkreet" is a big favourite of mine! Groovy, beautiful, and knows how to handle its subject maturely.

"Les Triplettes de Belleville" is a brilliant film, though I certainly shouldn't have watched it as a child. From the same director, Sylvan Chomet, I'd also recommend "The Illusionist". If you don't speak French a subbed version should be easy enough to find!

Persepolis is also a very good film, although I preferred the Graphic novel. Not something I'd pick up if you want something cute and lighthearted, but it deals with Iran and the swift in culture because of the political atmosphere in the country very tastefully.

If you're looking to get deeper into animation and experimentation with the medium I'd recommend "Belladonna of sadness", but it's a very, VERY heavy film. It's one of a kind and beautiful though, just.. not a family movie.

I have more I could recommend, but this will do for now?

iK0jgh4.png
@Fornax

If you like psychological horror, Perfect Blue is right up there with Silence Of The Lambs. One of my favourites.
@Fornax

If you like psychological horror, Perfect Blue is right up there with Silence Of The Lambs. One of my favourites.
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
I'm not sure where you live, but I tried to avoid movies that are uber popular in America, (with a few exceptions)-- so some of these may be difficult to find, especially the newer releases.

Wolf Children
Colorful (the movie)
The Boy and the Beast
Summer Wars
Book of Life
Boy and the World
A Letter to Momo
Patema Inverted
Welcome to the Space Show
Ernest & Celestine
Garden of Words
Paprika
April and the Extraordinary World
Sukai Kurora
Steamboy
Tekkon Kinkurito
Where the Wild Things Are
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Tokyo Godfathers
Kakurenbo
Stormy Night
Brave Story
Origin: Spirits of the Past
Atagoal
Summer Days with Coo
Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox
Mai Mai Miracle
Gusko Budori no Denki
Giovanni's Island
Mia & the Migoo
Max & Co
The Suicide Shop
Mune: Guardian of the Moon
Little from the Fish Shop
Anina
Psiconautas
My Life as a Courgette
Phantom Boy
Long Way North
Adama
Wolfy, the Incredible Secret

Some I enjoyed, some weren't my favorite, but I'll let you do your own research and decide if you want to see them, or not.

On another note, please be sure to check the rating on some of these, some are more mature than others. :P

edit:
@Fornax
pinging you, just in case??
I'm not sure where you live, but I tried to avoid movies that are uber popular in America, (with a few exceptions)-- so some of these may be difficult to find, especially the newer releases.

Wolf Children
Colorful (the movie)
The Boy and the Beast
Summer Wars
Book of Life
Boy and the World
A Letter to Momo
Patema Inverted
Welcome to the Space Show
Ernest & Celestine
Garden of Words
Paprika
April and the Extraordinary World
Sukai Kurora
Steamboy
Tekkon Kinkurito
Where the Wild Things Are
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Tokyo Godfathers
Kakurenbo
Stormy Night
Brave Story
Origin: Spirits of the Past
Atagoal
Summer Days with Coo
Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox
Mai Mai Miracle
Gusko Budori no Denki
Giovanni's Island
Mia & the Migoo
Max & Co
The Suicide Shop
Mune: Guardian of the Moon
Little from the Fish Shop
Anina
Psiconautas
My Life as a Courgette
Phantom Boy
Long Way North
Adama
Wolfy, the Incredible Secret

Some I enjoyed, some weren't my favorite, but I'll let you do your own research and decide if you want to see them, or not.

On another note, please be sure to check the rating on some of these, some are more mature than others. :P

edit:
@Fornax
pinging you, just in case??
Please do not ping me randomly.
Feel free to inquire about any nests, though.
I highly recommend Tekkonkinkreet. It's definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen and one of few that have made me cry multiple times throughout. It's kinda graphic at times (violent fight scenes, children are hurt, et.) and may not be for the faint of heart.

If you like the animation style and want something really weird the same studio did Mindgame which is quite surreal (and on netflix).
I highly recommend Tekkonkinkreet. It's definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen and one of few that have made me cry multiple times throughout. It's kinda graphic at times (violent fight scenes, children are hurt, et.) and may not be for the faint of heart.

If you like the animation style and want something really weird the same studio did Mindgame which is quite surreal (and on netflix).
Warm my digi egg!
1 2 3