Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tell me about your favorite rocks!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@FancyMedusa

A pyrite globe is what the more round formation of it is called. I'd never seen it either! They also had a another pyrite formation for sale from a couple vendors called sun pyrite that was round and flatter with striations through it like the rays of the sun. Pretty interesting stuff! I took pictures of my haul but I'll probably redo them and when I do I'll share them
@FancyMedusa

A pyrite globe is what the more round formation of it is called. I'd never seen it either! They also had a another pyrite formation for sale from a couple vendors called sun pyrite that was round and flatter with striations through it like the rays of the sun. Pretty interesting stuff! I took pictures of my haul but I'll probably redo them and when I do I'll share them
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
My gems are mostly in a safe/cabinet and it's too late in the day to dig them out, but I'll try my best to describe them.

Alexandrite: I have a crown piece (this stuff is so expensive it's not even funny) which means there is only a thin layer of the gem on top of glass. What do I like about it? The lighting on it causes it to change colors! My lights inside make it purple, natural makes it blue, and a flashlight makes it green. When you try to film it, it just looks pale purple though.

Amethyst: The variations of purple are just...wow.

Black Opal: SELF-EXPLANATORY

Malachite: Rings....so nice to look at.

Fluorite: It glows in UV, it comes in crazy colors. Yep.

Pyrite: I usually don't have a taste for it, but I have a lovely dodecahedral cluster.

Bismuth: I grow my own! Not to hard as long as you don't try to get smart with it. Take it slow and carefully and you will never get burned.
My gems are mostly in a safe/cabinet and it's too late in the day to dig them out, but I'll try my best to describe them.

Alexandrite: I have a crown piece (this stuff is so expensive it's not even funny) which means there is only a thin layer of the gem on top of glass. What do I like about it? The lighting on it causes it to change colors! My lights inside make it purple, natural makes it blue, and a flashlight makes it green. When you try to film it, it just looks pale purple though.

Amethyst: The variations of purple are just...wow.

Black Opal: SELF-EXPLANATORY

Malachite: Rings....so nice to look at.

Fluorite: It glows in UV, it comes in crazy colors. Yep.

Pyrite: I usually don't have a taste for it, but I have a lovely dodecahedral cluster.

Bismuth: I grow my own! Not to hard as long as you don't try to get smart with it. Take it slow and carefully and you will never get burned.
tumblr_osv1j8GD531v8lm95o1_r1_75sq.png
They/Them
FR +0
1zDfZ2C.png
@MystriDragon The color-change effect is one of my favorite things about alexandrite! AND BLACK OPAL, YES. Fluorite has some amazing variations--I mentioned it a ways back in the thread, but they usually remind me of a watercolor painting :) And dang, I should look into the whole making-my-own-bismuth thing!
@MystriDragon The color-change effect is one of my favorite things about alexandrite! AND BLACK OPAL, YES. Fluorite has some amazing variations--I mentioned it a ways back in the thread, but they usually remind me of a watercolor painting :) And dang, I should look into the whole making-my-own-bismuth thing!
definitely fluorite! it comes in so many different forms and colors and i love it's semi-transparent quality. and of course, the fluorescence is beautiful. i've been trying to find a piece but the nicer ones are a bit too pricey for me.
definitely fluorite! it comes in so many different forms and colors and i love it's semi-transparent quality. and of course, the fluorescence is beautiful. i've been trying to find a piece but the nicer ones are a bit too pricey for me.
azag_sig.png
@FancyMedusa
You can buy in bulk (still 99.9% pure!) for cheap, but the huge bricks are hard to melt down. The more you melt and the lesser the diameter of your pot, the bigger your crystals get, but you must pull them out quickly or it will just be a big cylinder stuck in your pot that you have to melt back down.
@FancyMedusa
You can buy in bulk (still 99.9% pure!) for cheap, but the huge bricks are hard to melt down. The more you melt and the lesser the diameter of your pot, the bigger your crystals get, but you must pull them out quickly or it will just be a big cylinder stuck in your pot that you have to melt back down.
They/Them
FR +0
1zDfZ2C.png
@Lineko Fluorite is awesome! It's been pretty popular on this thread, and I can see why! :)

@MystriDragon Thanks for the info! Tips are always good, haha. I think I've got a new science project for winter break in a couple months :3
@Lineko Fluorite is awesome! It's been pretty popular on this thread, and I can see why! :)

@MystriDragon Thanks for the info! Tips are always good, haha. I think I've got a new science project for winter break in a couple months :3
@FancyMedusa
Don't forget to be well ventilated and wear heat-resistant leather gloves!
@FancyMedusa
Don't forget to be well ventilated and wear heat-resistant leather gloves!
They/Them
FR +0
1zDfZ2C.png
@MystriDragon Ah, good reminder, thank you! Safety first :D
@MystriDragon Ah, good reminder, thank you! Safety first :D
Some of my favorite are labradorite, opal, fire agate, fire obsidian and ammolite. Fire agate: [img]http://www.fireagate.us/fire-agate-gallery/fire-agate-gemstone-gallery/fire-agate-gemstone-gallery-images/slg066/slg066a1.jpg[/img] Fire Obsidian: [img]http://topgems.homestead.com/fire_obsidian-b.jpg[/img] Ammolite: [img]https://www.gemsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/20446467222_35dd9ce85b_z.jpg[/img]
Some of my favorite are labradorite, opal, fire agate, fire obsidian and ammolite.

Fire agate:
slg066a1.jpg
Fire Obsidian:
fire_obsidian-b.jpg
Ammolite:
20446467222_35dd9ce85b_z.jpg
@Predacon Oh wow, those are all GORGEOUS! I've never heard of fire agate or fire obsidian before, but I'm glad you showed me! Ammolite is awesome; you get a fossil and a neat stone all in one! I'd love to own ammolite at some point :3
@Predacon Oh wow, those are all GORGEOUS! I've never heard of fire agate or fire obsidian before, but I'm glad you showed me! Ammolite is awesome; you get a fossil and a neat stone all in one! I'd love to own ammolite at some point :3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10