Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tell me about your favorite rocks!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@kamikazepilot I feel you there; I get so attached to my rocks. And ahhhh moonstone is so pretty! I thought about having that as the stone in my engagement ring, but I decided on aquamarine, since it's a bit more durable for clumsy ol' me. (I would provide pictures, but it's teeechnically not official yet, so no ring til that happens. Haha.) Also, your carnelian/moonstone combo sounds amazing--is the moonstone set right in the middle of it?
@kamikazepilot I feel you there; I get so attached to my rocks. And ahhhh moonstone is so pretty! I thought about having that as the stone in my engagement ring, but I decided on aquamarine, since it's a bit more durable for clumsy ol' me. (I would provide pictures, but it's teeechnically not official yet, so no ring til that happens. Haha.) Also, your carnelian/moonstone combo sounds amazing--is the moonstone set right in the middle of it?
@FancyMedusa Have I come across another Michigan user?!?! ONE WHO'S INTO ROCKS?!?! If you like opals I recommend checking out jelly opals and the Ethiopian stones, the shine and fire make me swoon! My fave gemstones are almandine garnet/rutilated quartz and chrome diopside. I collect rough specimens as well as fine jewelry. c: Ethiopian opal variety: [img]http://www.atggems.com/img/opal_parcel_612pts_3pcs_ethiopian.jpg [img]http://www.gia.edu/images/25913_1355958453544.jpg [img]http://www.minerals.net/GemStoneInTheRoughImages/rutilated-quartz-itabira-brazil.jpg
@FancyMedusa

Have I come across another Michigan user?!?! ONE WHO'S INTO ROCKS?!?! If you like opals I recommend checking out jelly opals and the Ethiopian stones, the shine and fire make me swoon!

My fave gemstones are almandine garnet/rutilated quartz and chrome diopside. I collect rough specimens as well as fine jewelry. c:

Ethiopian opal variety:

opal_parcel_612pts_3pcs_ethiopian.jpg25913_1355958453544.jpgrutilated-quartz-itabira-brazil.jpg
Heck, give me a minute.
@ashotinthedark I love you for always pinging me to the rock forums. I just got some gemstones recently and im excited as heck. But ill find some online pictures because my new rock children are as of yet not polished and looking a little frumpy. So, heres my faves. Rainbow Moonstone! [img]http://pull01.crystalvaults.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/131652c.jpg[/img] Labradorite (popular one here, i see) [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZU10M1Z0ElE/hqdefault.jpg[/img] Tiger's Eye (all 3 common varieties) Gold: [img]http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/graphics/tigers-eye-gem_2_large.jpg[/img] Blue: [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/64/df/00/64df00635d35a5294dd66e1ba428ddc7.jpg[/img] Red: [img]https://www.healingcrystals.com/images/Cabochons---Red-Tiger-Eye-Cabochon-01.jpg[/img] And last but not least, a much less flashy one: Red Obsidian (or any obsidian really, regular and snowflake are also very gorgeous) [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/19/91/6d1991b822a0148006459b818611bed1.jpg[/img]
@ashotinthedark
I love you for always pinging me to the rock forums. I just got some gemstones recently and im excited as heck. But ill find some online pictures because my new rock children are as of yet not polished and looking a little frumpy.

So, heres my faves.

Rainbow Moonstone!
131652c.jpg

Labradorite (popular one here, i see)
hqdefault.jpg

Tiger's Eye (all 3 common varieties)

Gold:
tigers-eye-gem_2_large.jpg

Blue:
64df00635d35a5294dd66e1ba428ddc7.jpg

Red:
Cabochons---Red-Tiger-Eye-Cabochon-01.jpg

And last but not least, a much less flashy one:

Red Obsidian (or any obsidian really, regular and snowflake are also very gorgeous)

6d1991b822a0148006459b818611bed1.jpg

rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
How could I forget blue sandstone??? Ugh [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/15c71ce181c63a358071ad2087faad08/tumblr_nn567v56rE1tpo1dlo1_500.jpg[/img]
How could I forget blue sandstone??? Ugh

tumblr_nn567v56rE1tpo1dlo1_500.jpg
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
@FancyMedusa Omg man I love rocks! My favorites are alexandrite, goldstone, obsidian, blue sandstone, and BISMUTH! [img]https://a2ua.com/bismuth/bismuth-006.jpg[/img]
@FancyMedusa

Omg man I love rocks! My favorites are alexandrite, goldstone, obsidian, blue sandstone, and BISMUTH!
bismuth-006.jpg
100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png
Labradorite and Bismuth are my favourite by far :')
Labradorite and Bismuth are my favourite by far :')
Renard(e) || Pronouns; iel or they
Host of the Fireworks Median system
FR Time +3 || French and English speaker || 25+
- Current hyperfixation : Saint Seiya -
(Autistic, so I'm super sorry if I say weird things at times!)
Okay here we go! @FancyMedusa

No pictures as of right now, but here's a list!
Moonstone and labradorite-I collect jewelry of these stones! And I've got a lovely labradorite sample
Amethyst-very important to me, I own so many crystals of it and actually found a crystal in a crushed granite parking lot! Mustve grown in among the granite, that is possible.
Dioptase-gorgeous color, pretty valuable! I bought a small sample off of eBay around New Years. ;)
Malachite-'absolutely gorgeous! I have a very heavy solid malachite necklace I got from a thrift store.
Azurite-similar to malachite in chemical composition, but it's blue! I have a lovely sample back home
Datolite-I have like a ten pound sample that my uncle gave me, with very pale green crystals! It'll always be special. ;)
Lapis lazuli-it's just so pretty!
Garnet-have a collection of garnet sand grains
Chalcopyrite-I've got a nice sample I found!

Aaaaand probably a lot more...
Okay here we go! @FancyMedusa

No pictures as of right now, but here's a list!
Moonstone and labradorite-I collect jewelry of these stones! And I've got a lovely labradorite sample
Amethyst-very important to me, I own so many crystals of it and actually found a crystal in a crushed granite parking lot! Mustve grown in among the granite, that is possible.
Dioptase-gorgeous color, pretty valuable! I bought a small sample off of eBay around New Years. ;)
Malachite-'absolutely gorgeous! I have a very heavy solid malachite necklace I got from a thrift store.
Azurite-similar to malachite in chemical composition, but it's blue! I have a lovely sample back home
Datolite-I have like a ten pound sample that my uncle gave me, with very pale green crystals! It'll always be special. ;)
Lapis lazuli-it's just so pretty!
Garnet-have a collection of garnet sand grains
Chalcopyrite-I've got a nice sample I found!

Aaaaand probably a lot more...
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
And technically bismuth isn't a rock it's an element. XD But it's by far the best element, it's radioacrive but it's not! I have a sample in my closet. XD
And technically bismuth isn't a rock it's an element. XD But it's by far the best element, it's radioacrive but it's not! I have a sample in my closet. XD
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png

Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
Oh wow this thread took off while I was away today! Yay for fellow rockhounds!

@PoshDandy Yesss another Michigan user! We can be mitten buddies. Haha. And yeah, Ethiopian opals are some of the finest specimens I've ever seen o.o I want to start adding those to my collection, hopefully set in something rose gold :3

@EnchantingCurse When your rock children are all nice and shiny, I'd love to see pictures! :D Rainbow moonstone and labradorite both fall into the "ooh look at these pretty rainbow stones" category for me, so of course I love them. Haha. And I just convinced one of my friends to buy a blue sandstone ring! It looks like a small galaxy on her finger; it's gorgeous. I'll probably buy one for myself soon!

@VermilionInk Bismuth is SWEET! So is alexandrite; we have some gorgeous cut and polished specimens at my work!

@SilvestrisDream Well, you've got good taste! Haha. Both of those seem to be pretty popular here~

@ImpossibleJedi4 Dang, I need to hit up some thrift stores around you, then! We don't have many good thrift shops around here ;~; Also, I'm glad you mentioned azurite, it's such a gorgeous shade of blue. And good point about bismuth! It's really cool element, but I still maintain that the best element is the element of surprise :D
Oh wow this thread took off while I was away today! Yay for fellow rockhounds!

@PoshDandy Yesss another Michigan user! We can be mitten buddies. Haha. And yeah, Ethiopian opals are some of the finest specimens I've ever seen o.o I want to start adding those to my collection, hopefully set in something rose gold :3

@EnchantingCurse When your rock children are all nice and shiny, I'd love to see pictures! :D Rainbow moonstone and labradorite both fall into the "ooh look at these pretty rainbow stones" category for me, so of course I love them. Haha. And I just convinced one of my friends to buy a blue sandstone ring! It looks like a small galaxy on her finger; it's gorgeous. I'll probably buy one for myself soon!

@VermilionInk Bismuth is SWEET! So is alexandrite; we have some gorgeous cut and polished specimens at my work!

@SilvestrisDream Well, you've got good taste! Haha. Both of those seem to be pretty popular here~

@ImpossibleJedi4 Dang, I need to hit up some thrift stores around you, then! We don't have many good thrift shops around here ;~; Also, I'm glad you mentioned azurite, it's such a gorgeous shade of blue. And good point about bismuth! It's really cool element, but I still maintain that the best element is the element of surprise :D
@FancyMedusa
(Fantastic username by the way!)

Hehe I've gotten them all over, so I don't think that would help. (Literally all over the US, my collection is... Maybe a little too much. XD) But azurite is awesome. ;) My sample is a bit bigger than a fist with teeny crystals all over it! There are even hints of malachite on the side I don't display. XD
I'm kinda a huge nerd about bismuth because it is SO COOL. AND THE CRYSTALS LOOK LIKE LEGOS. I wanna get some more samples, haha. XD To EBay!
Pffffft you got me there!
@FancyMedusa
(Fantastic username by the way!)

Hehe I've gotten them all over, so I don't think that would help. (Literally all over the US, my collection is... Maybe a little too much. XD) But azurite is awesome. ;) My sample is a bit bigger than a fist with teeny crystals all over it! There are even hints of malachite on the side I don't display. XD
I'm kinda a huge nerd about bismuth because it is SO COOL. AND THE CRYSTALS LOOK LIKE LEGOS. I wanna get some more samples, haha. XD To EBay!
Pffffft you got me there!
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png

Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10