Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Private] Severe Brainstorm Warning!
Expect heavy rain, damaging winds and furiously firing neurons!

Obligatory Introduction

Ok, folks! This thread is for the porpoise purpose of fleshing out some ideas for our small-group RP campaign so we don't just barge into something with no direction. I'll post some initial questions to address, but please, if you have any ideas regarding plot, character development, settings, etc. please don't hesitate to post!

Some Things to Think About

What dragons will you be playing?
Since there are 4 of us, it would be best if we could stick to just 1 or 2 characters. Otherwise, it'll be Clutter City.

In what timeframe is this set?
Will our lairs be of up-to-date standings in say, a time when all of our clans are within alliance with each other already?

Time of Year
Is this adventure going to surround/be sparked by one of the Elemental Holidays?

Plot Devices
Should there be a disaster/crisis of some sort that our heros must defeat/overcome?

Romance
How do all of you feel about dragony romances woven into this action/adventure tale?

Overall Story Arc
What should the goal be? Are we working towards some destination and what is the main focus?

Villans
Will our baddies be discontent dragons from one of our lairs or made-up characters? Do we even want dragons as the antagonists or should it be some natural force out of our heros' control?

Familiars
Do we want to include familiars in this or will that be too much?

World Building

Lucid and I have both come up with an obscene amount of back-lore and explanations for why things in this world are the way they are. We have ideas for currency, the ever-complicated business of hatchling trade and arranged breedings, diplomacy and dragon government and much more. If she's feeling super bored generous, perhaps she'd be willing to post some of the ideas we've archived over the past few months [hint hint ;3]

Character Form (Optional, but it helps sometimes!)

Number of Characters you'll be playing:
Dragon Name:
Species:
Age (i.e. hatchling, adolescent, young adult, adult, elder) :
Description (i.e. apparel, distinguishing features, markings etc.)
Personality:
Extra Notes:
[Insert Image]

Let the brainstorming begin!

@ClassyJ | @LucidDreamer | @Raivoid
Expect heavy rain, damaging winds and furiously firing neurons!

Obligatory Introduction

Ok, folks! This thread is for the porpoise purpose of fleshing out some ideas for our small-group RP campaign so we don't just barge into something with no direction. I'll post some initial questions to address, but please, if you have any ideas regarding plot, character development, settings, etc. please don't hesitate to post!

Some Things to Think About

What dragons will you be playing?
Since there are 4 of us, it would be best if we could stick to just 1 or 2 characters. Otherwise, it'll be Clutter City.

In what timeframe is this set?
Will our lairs be of up-to-date standings in say, a time when all of our clans are within alliance with each other already?

Time of Year
Is this adventure going to surround/be sparked by one of the Elemental Holidays?

Plot Devices
Should there be a disaster/crisis of some sort that our heros must defeat/overcome?

Romance
How do all of you feel about dragony romances woven into this action/adventure tale?

Overall Story Arc
What should the goal be? Are we working towards some destination and what is the main focus?

Villans
Will our baddies be discontent dragons from one of our lairs or made-up characters? Do we even want dragons as the antagonists or should it be some natural force out of our heros' control?

Familiars
Do we want to include familiars in this or will that be too much?

World Building

Lucid and I have both come up with an obscene amount of back-lore and explanations for why things in this world are the way they are. We have ideas for currency, the ever-complicated business of hatchling trade and arranged breedings, diplomacy and dragon government and much more. If she's feeling super bored generous, perhaps she'd be willing to post some of the ideas we've archived over the past few months [hint hint ;3]

Character Form (Optional, but it helps sometimes!)

Number of Characters you'll be playing:
Dragon Name:
Species:
Age (i.e. hatchling, adolescent, young adult, adult, elder) :
Description (i.e. apparel, distinguishing features, markings etc.)
Personality:
Extra Notes:
[Insert Image]

Let the brainstorming begin!

@ClassyJ | @LucidDreamer | @Raivoid
15581.png Elsewhere
She |

FR + 2
28268.png
i just want to build you up, build you up till you're good as new and maybe one day
i will get around to fixing myself too

Adopts | FA | Lorwolf | RP Hub

25762.png
[b]No. of Characters:[/b] 1 [b]Dragon Name[/b]: Hadrian [b]Species: [/b]Ridgeback [b]Age:[/b] Young Adult [b]Description:[/b] Although other species never notice, Hadrian's nose is not as pointy as other ridgebacks. He's quite sensitive about it. [b]Personality:[/b] Boisterous and maybe a little arrogant, Hadrian is a fun guy, but doesn't know when to shut his mouth sometimes... except around other ridgebacks, with whom he rarely socializes. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=865075] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/8651/865075_350.png[/img] [/url][/center]
No. of Characters: 1
Dragon Name: Hadrian
Species: Ridgeback
Description: Although other species never notice, Hadrian's nose is not as pointy as other ridgebacks. He's quite sensitive about it.
Personality: Boisterous and maybe a little arrogant, Hadrian is a fun guy, but doesn't know when to shut his mouth sometimes... except around other ridgebacks, with whom he rarely socializes.
[center]@Elsewhere [b]Number of Characters:[/b] 1 [b]Dragon Name: [/b]Teiden [b] Species:[/b] Imperial [b]Age: [/b]Young Adult [b] Description:[/b] He hardly ever goes anywhere without his hood on, or at least a mask of sorts. Teiden only ever takes them off around those he trusts. He takes pride in his markings as they were inherited from his father, who he admires [b]Personality:[/b] Teiden is usually reserved around strangers, though he'll open up more once he gets to know someone. Because of his far smaller than average size, he avoids socializing with other Imperials often. He likes to wear his birdskull adornments because he thinks they make him look tougher than he really is. That, and he has an almost obsession with blue. Back in his home clan, he has a secret stash of all things blue, from cloth to stones. His clan mates teasingly refer to him as their flight's Magpie. It's a sore spot for him, and he's been known to snap after any Magpies who happen to cross his path. [b]Extra Notes:[/b] I just really wanted to try RPing my new baby x3 Typing this out, I realized that Teiden is nearly half the size and length of most adult Imperials, both male and female xD Poor little guy! Oh well, more to build his character on~ [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=860410] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/8605/860410_350.png[/img] [/url] I think having familiars if we chose to would be interesting! It could also backfire and become too complicated though xD What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind a touch of romance, but then you already know that~ xD I don't have any ideas for a story as of now, but I think it would be interesting if our Clans made some sort of alliance. It can start just recently after they'd made an agreement, so things are still a bit rocky between them? Hm, natural or dragon-made problems? I'm leaning more towards a physical dragon or other creature as a villain, but that's just me! Yeah, I'm not too helpful in the plot forming department, sorry x3
@Elsewhere

Number of Characters: 1

Dragon Name: Teiden

Species:
Imperial

Description:
He hardly ever goes anywhere without his hood on, or at least a mask of sorts. Teiden only ever takes them off around those he trusts. He takes pride in his markings as they were inherited from his father, who he admires

Personality: Teiden is usually reserved around strangers, though he'll open up more once he gets to know someone. Because of his far smaller than average size, he avoids socializing with other Imperials often. He likes to wear his birdskull adornments because he thinks they make him look tougher than he really is. That, and he has an almost obsession with blue. Back in his home clan, he has a secret stash of all things blue, from cloth to stones. His clan mates teasingly refer to him as their flight's Magpie. It's a sore spot for him, and he's been known to snap after any Magpies who happen to cross his path.

Extra Notes: I just really wanted to try RPing my new baby x3 Typing this out, I realized that Teiden is nearly half the size and length of most adult Imperials, both male and female xD Poor little guy! Oh well, more to build his character on~

860410_350.png

I think having familiars if we chose to would be interesting! It could also backfire and become too complicated though xD What do you guys think?

I wouldn't mind a touch of romance, but then you already know that~ xD

I don't have any ideas for a story as of now, but I think it would be interesting if our Clans made some sort of alliance. It can start just recently after they'd made an agreement, so things are still a bit rocky between them?

Hm, natural or dragon-made problems? I'm leaning more towards a physical dragon or other creature as a villain, but that's just me!

Yeah, I'm not too helpful in the plot forming department, sorry x3
y1CAqnl.pngj5rVrOH.pngN6Thvfi.png
@Elsewhere @Raivoid @ClassyJ

Hey guys. Eee this is going to be fun. Here are some of the headcannons XD I look forward to hashing this out, these are cool characters so far!

DRAGONCANNONS PART 1

There are geeks in this world. And then, there are GEEKS. And of the GEEKS variety, there are niches. My friend Flight Rising user Elsewhere and I are of the GEEK breed with a focus in worldbuilding, in this case for this ridiculously addictive petsite.

We thought it would be fun to see if we could build a semi-plausible culture for the world of Flight Rising, based on the little we have of existing Lore and more amusingly the game mechanics and culture built by the programmers and then the users—incorporating such things like the culture of breeding, trading dragons from lair to lair, color fads, exaltation, etc.

There’s a ton to cover and always more to add/refine, but here is some of the stuff we have. I’ll start big and zoom in on the particulars.

DRAGON TERRITORIES
There are the eleven elemental divisions of the land. The cultural zeitgeist thinks of each land as belonging to the diety—territory of the Flamecaller, territory of the Earthshaker, re: the Ashfall Waste and Dragonhome respectively.

Within each of these territories there are the four big divisions that we have listed in the World Map section of the site—we will call them regions for now. But within each region there are further divisions, which is where the headcannons come in.

Some of these divisions vary depending on location/terrain. Some Territories have provinces or states within their regions, it depends on the Flight—which also has some wiggle room with regard to how closely borders are maintained. The Territory border is usually very strong though.

Within states/provinces loosely defined, you have the territories of each individual clan. This is more intuitive, which is based on the size, strength, wealth and or relative power a clan holds. Sometimes clans will do battle for expansion rights or over territorial squabbles with regards to “borders”. Territoriality ranges from clan to clan.

DRAGON CITIES

Dragon cities are the result of trade/commercial centers. Traditional clan life as outlined in the previous section changes to accommodate life in a city—they become city sized/city appropriate. Usually within a bustling city there is not much space to accommodate massive lairs, if so they are done with the unusual structure of dragon apartment buildings, but built to accommodate a single clan. This is usually the choice/function of a very large and wealthy clan and not at all typical. More typical the concept of territoriality is reduced to ones personal space, as the land the city resides upon, even if its technically within the territory of a clan, becomes territory of the Diety, re: public. Most dragons to spend a lot of time working in the cities still often return to their home lairs to sleep. However, some do live and make business in cities, enough to keep many thriving and building. Cities are more common in the domains of certain Flights—there are more large, bustling cities in the Shifting Expanse than say in the Ashfall Wastes.

DRAGON TEMPLES

Within each Territory there is a Great/High Temples/Something like this, the most notable of each being the ones at usually the fourth listed territory on the Map section, wherever the deity is thought to reside. There are smaller temples scattered throughout the Territory, and location/placement and size often varies depending on the Flight.

*Cultural Aside
Clergydragons

Dragons who are exalted go to the temple, as is the game mechanic. But what a clergydragon ends up doing varies. Some train to become priests/priestesses, perform the duties of maintaining/running a temple, and others train for Exaltation.

EXALTATION

After much deliberation on Exaltation, Elsewhere is the one who came up with a really neat idea. Based on the story of the dragon Dieties more or less turning to stony husks/sleeping to support the pillar and the dragons we see up on pillars when we view exalted dragons, she postulated that an exalted dragon converts their life energy/soul and it ascends to a higher plane of existence and becomes spirit to aid the Diety.

This is done by mastering/channeling ones life energy in a parallel study to magic (which is probably achieved by channeling life force in a more intuitive, concrete manner), and takes time, training and devotion. As such, obviously hatchlings cannot do this, so hatchlings given to the Temple enter a channeling/training/religious program to prepare for Exaltation Dragons who achieve this level either become fully Exalted, or they remain to serve as full priests/priestesses or sages.

The body of a Fully Exalted dragon turns to a special stone husk (we need a better word for it, husk is so gross. Maybe Reliquary?), which is what we see when we view dragons. These husks/Reliquaries are revered, and a very important job of the temple dragons is maintaining them with regular rites and cleaning. Dragons belonging to the clan of the exalted dragon will come and pay respects, leave offerings and occasionally pray to the dragon’s spirit.

Elsewhere's important additions!

**One thing I would add is that the statues of Exalted dragons are respected in some places more than others. Like I'm sure the ones in the largest Temples of each region are well kept, but in the smaller ones, I feel like it'd be more of a philosophical based thing. Dragons who believe that the spirits of Exalted dragons actually have the ability come and visit their statues would be kept highly polished and well cared for. But others where dragons have more of a scientific or liberal view wouldn't be so concerned with such things. Some temples may even be dilapidated or run down because the priests are too few. Perhaps in countries like the Shifting Expanse and Starfall Isles where science and technology take too much precedence for dragons to worry too much about religious relics. Now parts such as the Wind province, I could see them still holding respect for their temples, but they are far too flighty and fancy-free to remain bogged down by traditions of old. In the Ashfall Wastes, I see it becoming somewhat of a conflict between the older clans, clinging to their respectable roots of the land, and the new age scientiests and metal smiths that are more liberal in thinking. Just like in our own world, there would be that generation gap of thinking that Exaltation and paying homage to the deities isn't that important. So you have older clans and dragons urging the younger ones to carry on in the traditions.

Also, I was thinking that perhaps each statue (Or i like Reliquary, like you suggested) would resemble material from the province? For instance, dragons Exalted in Dragonhome would look a lot like various types of stone. Ashfall Wastes Relics would look like smoldering embers or really dark basalt with veins of what appeared to be magma. Water would appear to be coral, Plague would have an unnerving appearance of bones, Wind would be like...Bamboo with holes throughout the body cavity so that when wind rushed through it would sound like a reed pipe? Just things like that which would make exaltation unique to each flight ***

DRAGON GOVERNMENT

Like all societies, dragons have several tiers of government. Dragons are a clan-based society, and as such have Clan Patriarchs/Matriarchs that form the foundation of authority in culture. Bloodlines are important but more foundational to the society is the abstract concept of a paternal/maternal force—your Clan Mother or Clan Father is not your biological parent, or even your primary caretaker, but the one to whom society believes garners much respect and to whom you as a Clan Member owe deference to.

Within many clans, there are certain occupations that most cannot do without. Since the dragons of Flight Rising’s world are a trade-based society that commodifies genetics, alliances, pacts and agreements are a very big deal. As such most Clans have Ambassadors, who see to these trades and meet with the Ambassadors of other Clans—representing the Clan Mother and or Father. Large Clans have different types of Ambassadors, or train them for careers in politics. In addition to an Ambassador some clans also have a clergydragon in their ranks.

From each region there is a council of elected Representatives, a made up of dragons from selected provinces, etc. And from there, members of the High Dragon Council are elected. The Senator who serves as the head of the Council changes with Flight Dominance.

There is also a parallel council made up of holy dragons but it is more informal in terms of its collective nature and they have their own section of council meetings.

FLIGHT DOMINANCE

Rationalizing Flight Dominance was tricky. We figured that it would be a little bit insane if it changed every week in-universe, and so for things to flow a little bit more cohesively in-game it’s on the year. It has to do with the exaltation numbers, in addition to a Territory’s relative wealth/prosperity.

One conundrum we found ourselves stumped at over is where would neutral exchanges take place on a grand scale and how to rationalize Flight Dominance discounts and prosperity of the Flight. We figured that there is a caprice of magic/science/claw of the Dieties that has a smallish floating Isle—when a Flight has Dominance the isle floats to rest over that Territory for the duration. Upon the Isle are the buildings used to official pan-Flight workings, the Dragon Senate, among other important government things.

**Elesehwere's Expansion on this Idea**

Oh and the floating isle was called Kruziik Golz which translates into Ancient Stone. I think the premise of it was that it's a reaaaalllly really old chunk of the planet that had been wrenched from the surface after the Shade broke the Pillar. And this island was of the same material as the rock from the Starfall Isle, which floats. And over the years, many different dragons have improved its stability with various magics from different elements. And of course that whole thing where it hovers over whichever province is Dominant which improves trade. commerce and overall economy (explaining the bonuses). And on this Island would be the High Council building which would be....for lack of a more fanciful term, stupidly extravagant. A debate hall perhaps? The training grounds/barracks for the Dovahkaal Guard, a Temple of the 11 Divines where only the highest order of priests and important historic figures could go to be exalted and remembered. And maybe an opera house that's also extremely gorgeous? Designed and constructed by the most talented architects. I would think that all of these structures, so as not to resemble any one Flight (this being neutral ground and all), would have all the best features from each flight. Electricity, elaborate sculptures, Arcane magics to help the flow of power...all that super fancy mess that would make any dragon jealous of those that served there. And of course...gardens. Gorgeous gardens with fountains and perfectly trimmed hedges with amazing sprays of flowers cultivated by Nature dragons. And let me know what you think of this though, what if there were a few dragon mansions in and around the garden? These would not be permanent homes to any one dragon, but would serve as residences for the dragons that served on the High Council and their immediate family. Kind of like the White House is in the US? **

Getting up there can be hard for some smaller breeds and or old injured dragons but there are services for that.

Cultural Aside: Protectors of the Isle
To protect/provide security for the Isle, there is a group of dragons called the Dovakhaal. They are not unlike the Dail Lee from Avatar the Last Airbender—an equivalent force to keep things on the Isle safe (interflight tensions can be rough) and preserve order.

@Elsewhere @Raivoid @ClassyJ

Hey guys. Eee this is going to be fun. Here are some of the headcannons XD I look forward to hashing this out, these are cool characters so far!

DRAGONCANNONS PART 1

There are geeks in this world. And then, there are GEEKS. And of the GEEKS variety, there are niches. My friend Flight Rising user Elsewhere and I are of the GEEK breed with a focus in worldbuilding, in this case for this ridiculously addictive petsite.

We thought it would be fun to see if we could build a semi-plausible culture for the world of Flight Rising, based on the little we have of existing Lore and more amusingly the game mechanics and culture built by the programmers and then the users—incorporating such things like the culture of breeding, trading dragons from lair to lair, color fads, exaltation, etc.

There’s a ton to cover and always more to add/refine, but here is some of the stuff we have. I’ll start big and zoom in on the particulars.

DRAGON TERRITORIES
There are the eleven elemental divisions of the land. The cultural zeitgeist thinks of each land as belonging to the diety—territory of the Flamecaller, territory of the Earthshaker, re: the Ashfall Waste and Dragonhome respectively.

Within each of these territories there are the four big divisions that we have listed in the World Map section of the site—we will call them regions for now. But within each region there are further divisions, which is where the headcannons come in.

Some of these divisions vary depending on location/terrain. Some Territories have provinces or states within their regions, it depends on the Flight—which also has some wiggle room with regard to how closely borders are maintained. The Territory border is usually very strong though.

Within states/provinces loosely defined, you have the territories of each individual clan. This is more intuitive, which is based on the size, strength, wealth and or relative power a clan holds. Sometimes clans will do battle for expansion rights or over territorial squabbles with regards to “borders”. Territoriality ranges from clan to clan.

DRAGON CITIES

Dragon cities are the result of trade/commercial centers. Traditional clan life as outlined in the previous section changes to accommodate life in a city—they become city sized/city appropriate. Usually within a bustling city there is not much space to accommodate massive lairs, if so they are done with the unusual structure of dragon apartment buildings, but built to accommodate a single clan. This is usually the choice/function of a very large and wealthy clan and not at all typical. More typical the concept of territoriality is reduced to ones personal space, as the land the city resides upon, even if its technically within the territory of a clan, becomes territory of the Diety, re: public. Most dragons to spend a lot of time working in the cities still often return to their home lairs to sleep. However, some do live and make business in cities, enough to keep many thriving and building. Cities are more common in the domains of certain Flights—there are more large, bustling cities in the Shifting Expanse than say in the Ashfall Wastes.

DRAGON TEMPLES

Within each Territory there is a Great/High Temples/Something like this, the most notable of each being the ones at usually the fourth listed territory on the Map section, wherever the deity is thought to reside. There are smaller temples scattered throughout the Territory, and location/placement and size often varies depending on the Flight.

*Cultural Aside
Clergydragons

Dragons who are exalted go to the temple, as is the game mechanic. But what a clergydragon ends up doing varies. Some train to become priests/priestesses, perform the duties of maintaining/running a temple, and others train for Exaltation.

EXALTATION

After much deliberation on Exaltation, Elsewhere is the one who came up with a really neat idea. Based on the story of the dragon Dieties more or less turning to stony husks/sleeping to support the pillar and the dragons we see up on pillars when we view exalted dragons, she postulated that an exalted dragon converts their life energy/soul and it ascends to a higher plane of existence and becomes spirit to aid the Diety.

This is done by mastering/channeling ones life energy in a parallel study to magic (which is probably achieved by channeling life force in a more intuitive, concrete manner), and takes time, training and devotion. As such, obviously hatchlings cannot do this, so hatchlings given to the Temple enter a channeling/training/religious program to prepare for Exaltation Dragons who achieve this level either become fully Exalted, or they remain to serve as full priests/priestesses or sages.

The body of a Fully Exalted dragon turns to a special stone husk (we need a better word for it, husk is so gross. Maybe Reliquary?), which is what we see when we view dragons. These husks/Reliquaries are revered, and a very important job of the temple dragons is maintaining them with regular rites and cleaning. Dragons belonging to the clan of the exalted dragon will come and pay respects, leave offerings and occasionally pray to the dragon’s spirit.

Elsewhere's important additions!

**One thing I would add is that the statues of Exalted dragons are respected in some places more than others. Like I'm sure the ones in the largest Temples of each region are well kept, but in the smaller ones, I feel like it'd be more of a philosophical based thing. Dragons who believe that the spirits of Exalted dragons actually have the ability come and visit their statues would be kept highly polished and well cared for. But others where dragons have more of a scientific or liberal view wouldn't be so concerned with such things. Some temples may even be dilapidated or run down because the priests are too few. Perhaps in countries like the Shifting Expanse and Starfall Isles where science and technology take too much precedence for dragons to worry too much about religious relics. Now parts such as the Wind province, I could see them still holding respect for their temples, but they are far too flighty and fancy-free to remain bogged down by traditions of old. In the Ashfall Wastes, I see it becoming somewhat of a conflict between the older clans, clinging to their respectable roots of the land, and the new age scientiests and metal smiths that are more liberal in thinking. Just like in our own world, there would be that generation gap of thinking that Exaltation and paying homage to the deities isn't that important. So you have older clans and dragons urging the younger ones to carry on in the traditions.

Also, I was thinking that perhaps each statue (Or i like Reliquary, like you suggested) would resemble material from the province? For instance, dragons Exalted in Dragonhome would look a lot like various types of stone. Ashfall Wastes Relics would look like smoldering embers or really dark basalt with veins of what appeared to be magma. Water would appear to be coral, Plague would have an unnerving appearance of bones, Wind would be like...Bamboo with holes throughout the body cavity so that when wind rushed through it would sound like a reed pipe? Just things like that which would make exaltation unique to each flight ***

DRAGON GOVERNMENT

Like all societies, dragons have several tiers of government. Dragons are a clan-based society, and as such have Clan Patriarchs/Matriarchs that form the foundation of authority in culture. Bloodlines are important but more foundational to the society is the abstract concept of a paternal/maternal force—your Clan Mother or Clan Father is not your biological parent, or even your primary caretaker, but the one to whom society believes garners much respect and to whom you as a Clan Member owe deference to.

Within many clans, there are certain occupations that most cannot do without. Since the dragons of Flight Rising’s world are a trade-based society that commodifies genetics, alliances, pacts and agreements are a very big deal. As such most Clans have Ambassadors, who see to these trades and meet with the Ambassadors of other Clans—representing the Clan Mother and or Father. Large Clans have different types of Ambassadors, or train them for careers in politics. In addition to an Ambassador some clans also have a clergydragon in their ranks.

From each region there is a council of elected Representatives, a made up of dragons from selected provinces, etc. And from there, members of the High Dragon Council are elected. The Senator who serves as the head of the Council changes with Flight Dominance.

There is also a parallel council made up of holy dragons but it is more informal in terms of its collective nature and they have their own section of council meetings.

FLIGHT DOMINANCE

Rationalizing Flight Dominance was tricky. We figured that it would be a little bit insane if it changed every week in-universe, and so for things to flow a little bit more cohesively in-game it’s on the year. It has to do with the exaltation numbers, in addition to a Territory’s relative wealth/prosperity.

One conundrum we found ourselves stumped at over is where would neutral exchanges take place on a grand scale and how to rationalize Flight Dominance discounts and prosperity of the Flight. We figured that there is a caprice of magic/science/claw of the Dieties that has a smallish floating Isle—when a Flight has Dominance the isle floats to rest over that Territory for the duration. Upon the Isle are the buildings used to official pan-Flight workings, the Dragon Senate, among other important government things.

**Elesehwere's Expansion on this Idea**

Oh and the floating isle was called Kruziik Golz which translates into Ancient Stone. I think the premise of it was that it's a reaaaalllly really old chunk of the planet that had been wrenched from the surface after the Shade broke the Pillar. And this island was of the same material as the rock from the Starfall Isle, which floats. And over the years, many different dragons have improved its stability with various magics from different elements. And of course that whole thing where it hovers over whichever province is Dominant which improves trade. commerce and overall economy (explaining the bonuses). And on this Island would be the High Council building which would be....for lack of a more fanciful term, stupidly extravagant. A debate hall perhaps? The training grounds/barracks for the Dovahkaal Guard, a Temple of the 11 Divines where only the highest order of priests and important historic figures could go to be exalted and remembered. And maybe an opera house that's also extremely gorgeous? Designed and constructed by the most talented architects. I would think that all of these structures, so as not to resemble any one Flight (this being neutral ground and all), would have all the best features from each flight. Electricity, elaborate sculptures, Arcane magics to help the flow of power...all that super fancy mess that would make any dragon jealous of those that served there. And of course...gardens. Gorgeous gardens with fountains and perfectly trimmed hedges with amazing sprays of flowers cultivated by Nature dragons. And let me know what you think of this though, what if there were a few dragon mansions in and around the garden? These would not be permanent homes to any one dragon, but would serve as residences for the dragons that served on the High Council and their immediate family. Kind of like the White House is in the US? **

Getting up there can be hard for some smaller breeds and or old injured dragons but there are services for that.

Cultural Aside: Protectors of the Isle
To protect/provide security for the Isle, there is a group of dragons called the Dovakhaal. They are not unlike the Dail Lee from Avatar the Last Airbender—an equivalent force to keep things on the Isle safe (interflight tensions can be rough) and preserve order.

WCnfyEV.jpg
**Reserved for next ginormous schpiel**
**Reserved for next ginormous schpiel**
WCnfyEV.jpg
[center][b]On War, Magic, Kruziik Golz and Other Things[/b][/center] [center]@LucidDreamer[/center] ((This is regarding a note that Lucid sent me asking my thoughts on certain aspects of the Flight Rising world.)) Oh, good thoughts! I'm gonna address the Arcanist vs Mage thing before I get into battle tactics. Personally, I feel that every dragon can do [b]some[/b] magic based on their birth nest. To go along with the clan lore, the magics imbued in a nest affect the hatchlings that develop there (reflected in eye color). This isn't to say a dragon from any flight couldn't be tutored to learn other elemental magics, but a dragon from the Earth Flight could use Earth powers to some small degree without any training. Of course, there'd be prodigies who would be naturally more advanced in magic. Clans might see this as their deity smiling upon them for being devout. Less religious dragons might see it as just a stroke of luck. Now, all that being said, I think there would be many art forms and practices of magic. A dragon that uses magic as their primary means of battling, healing and anything else, would be called a Mage (or if we want to come up with another term, that's fine too). There would be battle mages, healing mages etc. To be considered an Arcanist, a dragon would need to study the form of magic used by THE Arcanist. Being the scholar that he is, I'm sure he's put together quite a few tomes and curriculums to be used in mage schools that teach the "Way of the Arcanist." I'd think there would be different degrees of mage status in any field of magic, and to be called an Arcanist could either be a general term for that alignment, or a title reserved for a dragon that has...well, gotten their equivalent of a Doctorate in Magic. It would be a highly respected title, and perhaps dragons would even use it as a prefix like Arc. Smartybritches of the Egghead Clan. I guess this means we have to come up with the different titles for each school of magic xD;;; Sorry, not sorry. On to battle things! I feel like wars would be potentially brutal, especially if, say, fire mages went against the forces of the Gladekeeper. But even the Nature dragons would have defenses such as incredibly thick timber as well as very green leaves which wouldn't burn as easily. I think it would also be common practice for most flights to prefer recruiting the bulkier breeds like Guardians, Ridgebacks and maybe even Snappers as "tanks" to haul war machines. Mirrors, Tundras, and perhaps Guardians and Ridgebacks on the smaller side would be reserved for ranging most likely, but they would also be useful on the front lines as the "first wave" in battle so to speak. The Pearlcatchers that could be convinced to even join the military could probably serve as both mages and field medics since they're robust enough to handle the battle field while still being skilled in magic. Sky dancers and Spirals (Coatls too?) would be air support for sure with their mad flying skills. WildClaws are fast on their feet, along with Mirrors. So I could see those breeds also being reserved for ranging, scouting and black ops missions. I would think faes, due to their size, would be couriers or mages because they couldn't handle hits in battle. I'd say they could be in air support too, but their too small to carry sky-based weapons. But perhaps, as mages, they could fly along with any division (sky or ground forces) and provide magic support. Now Imperials are an odd sort because they can fly, their large enough to be formidable in a fight, and they also seem like they could be skilled at magic as well. Of course, any breed can rise above another with perseverance and training, but perhaps it is more common for Imperials to be in positions of authority simply because their base skills are higher than the "lower breeds." In the armed forces, Imperials would make good COs because they would be able to fit in to just about any division and use those specific magics or fighting styles. That being said, it could be quite disappointing to a high society Imperial family to get word that their son or daughter failed in military school or did not achieve the highest rank in their class. Almost like it's a superiority complex and it's expected for them to be at the top. Ooo Kruziik Golz, yes! Ok well, before the chunk of earth (didn't we decide it would've happened when the Shade destroyed the protective shield?) broke, let's say it was a particularly large island located where the Starfall Isles are now. This isn't confirmed in the Book of Lore, but I like to imagine that that area is where that massive reactor was built (and where it self-destructed, of course). When is exploded and demolished all human life, an incredible amount of magic was left over. After all, it was enough magic to trigger the Arcanist into existence! That amount of magic would have adverse affects on the surrounding terrain. That's my explanation for why parts of the Starfall Isles float out of the water and gradually drift into the sky. Now perhaps Kruziik Golz wasn't anchored to the sea floor very well and the force of the magical explosion knocked it from its foundation. It began to float like the chunks of rock at the Focal Point, but being an island, it was much larger than any other rocks floating about. Perhaps, with the magic was still radiating everywhere, the island floated up past the clouds into the stratosphere. But the sheer weight of it eventually caused it to sink to a more stable level in the lower troposphere (this is if we're assuming that this dragon planet has the same levels of atmosphere as earth. But seeing as it supported human-like life, maybe it is).Totally thinking of Laputa right now: [center][img]http://media.cineblog.it/L/LAP/LAPUTA.jpg[/img][/center] It would be high enough to make it difficult to get to by normal means, but low enough that clouds could pass around it and create a stable ecosystem for plant life. And maybe even, like Laputa, could be a defensible fortress if some Storm mages were employed to create a whirlwind of storm clouds around the island. A long, long time has passed since the deities awoke to combat the Shade. and the residual magic from the Reactor explosion most likely weakened except for around the epicenter. Dragons were probably already using the floating island, but maybe it was warred over and not neutral ground. But perhaps at one time, Kruziik Golz was under threat of falling out of the Sky. Maybe that's when the different Flights realized that this unique land mass could be used for peace, not war, and they banded together to make it a stable floating island, using all kinds of magic. Earth Dragons would use their knowledge of rock forces and magnets to help the base of the island push against the ground below to keep it in the air. Water dragons could've applied their knowledge of buoyancy to help keep the island from tilting. And so on and so forth with all the Flights. But most of all, it was probably crucial that Arcane aligned dragons poured more magic into the island itself so that it would retain its mystical properties and stay aloft. And yes, you're correct, it would've been incredibly useful as transportation over long distances. But I imagine that it moves fairly slowly, as dragons with Wind magic might be responsible for propelling the whole island. But they couldn't do it too quickly or they'd risk damaging the structures built upon it. Moreover, it was established as Neutral ground and it would reflect negatively on the government if they allowed certain armies to travel on it. The exception there would be the allowance of dragons from one territory traveling to another territory to draw up peace treaties or cease-fire arrangements (hah...cease fire. Cause they're dragons and..fire...yeah -coughs). I often wonder about this planet though. Is the flat map a representation of just one small section, or do these land masses stretch all the way around the globe? If so, that means that the only territory that is cut off from the others is the Southern Ice Fields. Perhaps the Viridian Labyrinth could be considered somewhat cut off since it's an island. But it seems like its Western edge is close enough to Dragonhome that the narrow strait wouldn't be too difficult to make it across to the mainland. As far as getting to the Ice Fields, there seems to be a convenient path of ice bergs connecting the Southern Icefields to the Starfall Isle. Of course, I take this map to be an exaggerated representation and the territories would be quite expansive. Enough so that say, within the Ashfall Wastes, you'd get areas that look more like Yellowstone with mineral-rich hot springs and boiling mud pits. No doubt the enormous volcano towards the Southern half of the island would dominate the country, but a volcanic ecosystem is quite diverse. I mean, look at Hawaii! I believe we've established that there are seasons where volcanic activity in the Flamecaller's Territory fluctuates. Maybe this volcano, due to its size, even dictates the seasons of this whole continent. In months of high eruption from the main mountain and its smaller, sister peaks, the lands nearest the volcanoes would experience ash storms and extreme heat. But with volcano eruptions come clouds or ash and dust which block out the sun. While it could be considered "summer" in the Ashfall Wastes due to the heat, other territories would experience cold because the ash would block out the sun. Now here's where it could get complicated... Wind patterns would have huge pull as far as affecting climate change. If the Twisting Crescendo (an area in the Wind province I simply like to think of as Tornado Alley on steroids), is sending violent gusts of wind North, East or West, then provinces in that line of wind stream would be under threat of the ash clouds while the volcanos were erupting. But while ash can be fatal, it also creates very fertile soil. So it could be both a blessing and a curse to have the wind blow the ash your way. Now, this whole eruption event affects the Southern Icefield differently than all the other territories. If the ash and heat is being blown away from the ice territory, then they get the benefit of a cooled climate while ash chokes out the sun and perhaps their land even expands, creating ice bridges that connect the ice floes. But if the ash and heat are blown south, then the Ice dragons experience what is mentioned in the World Map, the shrinking of their landmass. So the climate is all dependent on these different aspects from the elemental territories. This must also mean that we need to come up with the affects other Flights have on the climate as well xD Again, sorry, not sorry! Finally, to your point on making it across the sea to get to the Southern Icefields, yes, there should be platforms built for resting. And perhaps there would be platforms like these in all of the territories. After all, if relations between two flights are sour, it would be dangerous for dragons from the opposing Flight to land in the territory of their enemy. Let's say there are Flight embassies in each Capitol, and those embassies sponsor resting platforms throughout each territory so that their allies may rest. Almost like inns, but for fliers that need to rest their wings. But in regards to reaching the Southern Icefields from the mainland, there would be frequent routes used. One being by ship (dragon ships would have to be very large and element retardant, wouldn't they o_o), by traveling over the ice bridges in seasons when the ice is solid and finally, by flying. Of the three, I think flying would be the last option. Of course...there is swimming, but that would be reserved for the strongest Water dragons. As a final side note, Kruziik Golz could be raised a bit in the even that it is in the way of an approaching ash storm. But that would only be in rare cases since the conditions would need to line up perfectly for the Island to be in the path of the cloud. And even then, the ash cloud would have to be too thick for Wind dragons to dispel it with magic. But it [i]could[/i] happen, and probably has a handful of times, and those instances are talked about in history books. So did I ramble enough? I could go on xD
On War, Magic, Kruziik Golz and Other Things

((This is regarding a note that Lucid sent me asking my thoughts on certain aspects of the Flight Rising world.))

Oh, good thoughts! I'm gonna address the Arcanist vs Mage thing before I get into battle tactics. Personally, I feel that every dragon can do some magic based on their birth nest. To go along with the clan lore, the magics imbued in a nest affect the hatchlings that develop there (reflected in eye color). This isn't to say a dragon from any flight couldn't be tutored to learn other elemental magics, but a dragon from the Earth Flight could use Earth powers to some small degree without any training. Of course, there'd be prodigies who would be naturally more advanced in magic. Clans might see this as their deity smiling upon them for being devout. Less religious dragons might see it as just a stroke of luck. Now, all that being said, I think there would be many art forms and practices of magic. A dragon that uses magic as their primary means of battling, healing and anything else, would be called a Mage (or if we want to come up with another term, that's fine too). There would be battle mages, healing mages etc. To be considered an Arcanist, a dragon would need to study the form of magic used by THE Arcanist. Being the scholar that he is, I'm sure he's put together quite a few tomes and curriculums to be used in mage schools that teach the "Way of the Arcanist." I'd think there would be different degrees of mage status in any field of magic, and to be called an Arcanist could either be a general term for that alignment, or a title reserved for a dragon that has...well, gotten their equivalent of a Doctorate in Magic. It would be a highly respected title, and perhaps dragons would even use it as a prefix like Arc. Smartybritches of the Egghead Clan. I guess this means we have to come up with the different titles for each school of magic xD;;; Sorry, not sorry.

On to battle things! I feel like wars would be potentially brutal, especially if, say, fire mages went against the forces of the Gladekeeper. But even the Nature dragons would have defenses such as incredibly thick timber as well as very green leaves which wouldn't burn as easily. I think it would also be common practice for most flights to prefer recruiting the bulkier breeds like Guardians, Ridgebacks and maybe even Snappers as "tanks" to haul war machines. Mirrors, Tundras, and perhaps Guardians and Ridgebacks on the smaller side would be reserved for ranging most likely, but they would also be useful on the front lines as the "first wave" in battle so to speak. The Pearlcatchers that could be convinced to even join the military could probably serve as both mages and field medics since they're robust enough to handle the battle field while still being skilled in magic. Sky dancers and Spirals (Coatls too?) would be air support for sure with their mad flying skills. WildClaws are fast on their feet, along with Mirrors. So I could see those breeds also being reserved for ranging, scouting and black ops missions. I would think faes, due to their size, would be couriers or mages because they couldn't handle hits in battle. I'd say they could be in air support too, but their too small to carry sky-based weapons. But perhaps, as mages, they could fly along with any division (sky or ground forces) and provide magic support.
Now Imperials are an odd sort because they can fly, their large enough to be formidable in a fight, and they also seem like they could be skilled at magic as well. Of course, any breed can rise above another with perseverance and training, but perhaps it is more common for Imperials to be in positions of authority simply because their base skills are higher than the "lower breeds." In the armed forces, Imperials would make good COs because they would be able to fit in to just about any division and use those specific magics or fighting styles. That being said, it could be quite disappointing to a high society Imperial family to get word that their son or daughter failed in military school or did not achieve the highest rank in their class. Almost like it's a superiority complex and it's expected for them to be at the top.

Ooo Kruziik Golz, yes! Ok well, before the chunk of earth (didn't we decide it would've happened when the Shade destroyed the protective shield?) broke, let's say it was a particularly large island located where the Starfall Isles are now. This isn't confirmed in the Book of Lore, but I like to imagine that that area is where that massive reactor was built (and where it self-destructed, of course). When is exploded and demolished all human life, an incredible amount of magic was left over. After all, it was enough magic to trigger the Arcanist into existence! That amount of magic would have adverse affects on the surrounding terrain. That's my explanation for why parts of the Starfall Isles float out of the water and gradually drift into the sky. Now perhaps Kruziik Golz wasn't anchored to the sea floor very well and the force of the magical explosion knocked it from its foundation. It began to float like the chunks of rock at the Focal Point, but being an island, it was much larger than any other rocks floating about. Perhaps, with the magic was still radiating everywhere, the island floated up past the clouds into the stratosphere. But the sheer weight of it eventually caused it to sink to a more stable level in the lower troposphere (this is if we're assuming that this dragon planet has the same levels of atmosphere as earth. But seeing as it supported human-like life, maybe it is).Totally thinking of Laputa right now:
LAPUTA.jpg

It would be high enough to make it difficult to get to by normal means, but low enough that clouds could pass around it and create a stable ecosystem for plant life. And maybe even, like Laputa, could be a defensible fortress if some Storm mages were employed to create a whirlwind of storm clouds around the island.

A long, long time has passed since the deities awoke to combat the Shade. and the residual magic from the Reactor explosion most likely weakened except for around the epicenter. Dragons were probably already using the floating island, but maybe it was warred over and not neutral ground. But perhaps at one time, Kruziik Golz was under threat of falling out of the Sky. Maybe that's when the different Flights realized that this unique land mass could be used for peace, not war, and they banded together to make it a stable floating island, using all kinds of magic. Earth Dragons would use their knowledge of rock forces and magnets to help the base of the island push against the ground below to keep it in the air. Water dragons could've applied their knowledge of buoyancy to help keep the island from tilting. And so on and so forth with all the Flights. But most of all, it was probably crucial that Arcane aligned dragons poured more magic into the island itself so that it would retain its mystical properties and stay aloft.

And yes, you're correct, it would've been incredibly useful as transportation over long distances. But I imagine that it moves fairly slowly, as dragons with Wind magic might be responsible for propelling the whole island. But they couldn't do it too quickly or they'd risk damaging the structures built upon it. Moreover, it was established as Neutral ground and it would reflect negatively on the government if they allowed certain armies to travel on it. The exception there would be the allowance of dragons from one territory traveling to another territory to draw up peace treaties or cease-fire arrangements (hah...cease fire. Cause they're dragons and..fire...yeah -coughs).

I often wonder about this planet though. Is the flat map a representation of just one small section, or do these land masses stretch all the way around the globe? If so, that means that the only territory that is cut off from the others is the Southern Ice Fields. Perhaps the Viridian Labyrinth could be considered somewhat cut off since it's an island. But it seems like its Western edge is close enough to Dragonhome that the narrow strait wouldn't be too difficult to make it across to the mainland. As far as getting to the Ice Fields, there seems to be a convenient path of ice bergs connecting the Southern Icefields to the Starfall Isle. Of course, I take this map to be an exaggerated representation and the territories would be quite expansive. Enough so that say, within the Ashfall Wastes, you'd get areas that look more like Yellowstone with mineral-rich hot springs and boiling mud pits. No doubt the enormous volcano towards the Southern half of the island would dominate the country, but a volcanic ecosystem is quite diverse. I mean, look at Hawaii! I believe we've established that there are seasons where volcanic activity in the Flamecaller's Territory fluctuates. Maybe this volcano, due to its size, even dictates the seasons of this whole continent. In months of high eruption from the main mountain and its smaller, sister peaks, the lands nearest the volcanoes would experience ash storms and extreme heat. But with volcano eruptions come clouds or ash and dust which block out the sun. While it could be considered "summer" in the Ashfall Wastes due to the heat, other territories would experience cold because the ash would block out the sun. Now here's where it could get complicated...

Wind patterns would have huge pull as far as affecting climate change. If the Twisting Crescendo (an area in the Wind province I simply like to think of as Tornado Alley on steroids), is sending violent gusts of wind North, East or West, then provinces in that line of wind stream would be under threat of the ash clouds while the volcanos were erupting. But while ash can be fatal, it also creates very fertile soil. So it could be both a blessing and a curse to have the wind blow the ash your way. Now, this whole eruption event affects the Southern Icefield differently than all the other territories. If the ash and heat is being blown away from the ice territory, then they get the benefit of a cooled climate while ash chokes out the sun and perhaps their land even expands, creating ice bridges that connect the ice floes. But if the ash and heat are blown south, then the Ice dragons experience what is mentioned in the World Map, the shrinking of their landmass. So the climate is all dependent on these different aspects from the elemental territories. This must also mean that we need to come up with the affects other Flights have on the climate as well xD Again, sorry, not sorry!

Finally, to your point on making it across the sea to get to the Southern Icefields, yes, there should be platforms built for resting. And perhaps there would be platforms like these in all of the territories. After all, if relations between two flights are sour, it would be dangerous for dragons from the opposing Flight to land in the territory of their enemy. Let's say there are Flight embassies in each Capitol, and those embassies sponsor resting platforms throughout each territory so that their allies may rest. Almost like inns, but for fliers that need to rest their wings. But in regards to reaching the Southern Icefields from the mainland, there would be frequent routes used. One being by ship (dragon ships would have to be very large and element retardant, wouldn't they o_o), by traveling over the ice bridges in seasons when the ice is solid and finally, by flying. Of the three, I think flying would be the last option. Of course...there is swimming, but that would be reserved for the strongest Water dragons.

As a final side note, Kruziik Golz could be raised a bit in the even that it is in the way of an approaching ash storm. But that would only be in rare cases since the conditions would need to line up perfectly for the Island to be in the path of the cloud. And even then, the ash cloud would have to be too thick for Wind dragons to dispel it with magic. But it could happen, and probably has a handful of times, and those instances are talked about in history books.

So did I ramble enough? I could go on xD
15581.png Elsewhere
She |

FR + 2
28268.png
i just want to build you up, build you up till you're good as new and maybe one day
i will get around to fixing myself too

Adopts | FA | Lorwolf | RP Hub

25762.png
I had another thought so I'll stick it here and file it under

COURTSHIP AND SPECIES CULTURE

I had an epiphany today during a phyical therapy--WHY are mirrors called mirrors? I mean the others ones kind of make sense (except imperial, we will ahve to come up with something for that). Like, Guardians for their nature, Spirals for shape, Wildclaws for their claws, Tundras for where they live, Ridgebacks for their spines, etc etc but why mirrors

And I was thinking that obviously within species there is s culture--and ruminating on some of our other mirror headcannons for courtship--what if at some point in the mirror courtship dance there's a segment where they mimic each other's body movements, but backwards? Like a mirror? And since mirrors are all about being in groups with each other maybe they called themselves mirrors to define themselves as a species in essence, by how they view love? Like this 'mirror' part of the dance is the most famous and well known part about mirror courtship, this sense of you are my other half/ I becomes we, even if only for a time given other parts of dragon culture?

What if like, Dragon shakespeare was a mirror dragon and maybe mirrors and pearclatchers have cultural battles over which species is more romantic and sophisticated, although I figure by and larage mirror tales have more battle-romance stories and stuff with violence ?
I had another thought so I'll stick it here and file it under

COURTSHIP AND SPECIES CULTURE

I had an epiphany today during a phyical therapy--WHY are mirrors called mirrors? I mean the others ones kind of make sense (except imperial, we will ahve to come up with something for that). Like, Guardians for their nature, Spirals for shape, Wildclaws for their claws, Tundras for where they live, Ridgebacks for their spines, etc etc but why mirrors

And I was thinking that obviously within species there is s culture--and ruminating on some of our other mirror headcannons for courtship--what if at some point in the mirror courtship dance there's a segment where they mimic each other's body movements, but backwards? Like a mirror? And since mirrors are all about being in groups with each other maybe they called themselves mirrors to define themselves as a species in essence, by how they view love? Like this 'mirror' part of the dance is the most famous and well known part about mirror courtship, this sense of you are my other half/ I becomes we, even if only for a time given other parts of dragon culture?

What if like, Dragon shakespeare was a mirror dragon and maybe mirrors and pearclatchers have cultural battles over which species is more romantic and sophisticated, although I figure by and larage mirror tales have more battle-romance stories and stuff with violence ?
WCnfyEV.jpg