Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Silly place to ask - puppy training?
1 2
I know I should just google it, but I thought I'd rather ask in a place where I can actually discuss it, because so far the advice I found online previously hasn't helped with other things.

I have a 6 month old female Lab X Kelpie.

She's pretty much trained out of most of her destructive behaviours, but there's one thing I haven't been able to fix... when she is left alone... or at night while we're asleep... she chews sheets, quilts and quilt covers.

We have no quilt covers left, I've bought new sets but I won't take them out of the packets yet. It started with just the buttons, and now she just chews it to pieces.

I'm not really sure what to do, I just caught her doing it right next to me and I "scolded her" which is basically just me saying "What's this? Oh, no." in a quiet, deep voice. It makes people laugh but it's worked for all my dogs. I also sent her outside.

I just don't know what to do because I'm not awake to actively stop her 90% of the time.

Do you think it's just a matter of boredom? She's really not getting walked enough at the moment, maybe she's having trouble sleeping and so chewing? Or could it be that she needs more toys?

ANY advice would be helpful, I'm not used to raising labs!
I know I should just google it, but I thought I'd rather ask in a place where I can actually discuss it, because so far the advice I found online previously hasn't helped with other things.

I have a 6 month old female Lab X Kelpie.

She's pretty much trained out of most of her destructive behaviours, but there's one thing I haven't been able to fix... when she is left alone... or at night while we're asleep... she chews sheets, quilts and quilt covers.

We have no quilt covers left, I've bought new sets but I won't take them out of the packets yet. It started with just the buttons, and now she just chews it to pieces.

I'm not really sure what to do, I just caught her doing it right next to me and I "scolded her" which is basically just me saying "What's this? Oh, no." in a quiet, deep voice. It makes people laugh but it's worked for all my dogs. I also sent her outside.

I just don't know what to do because I'm not awake to actively stop her 90% of the time.

Do you think it's just a matter of boredom? She's really not getting walked enough at the moment, maybe she's having trouble sleeping and so chewing? Or could it be that she needs more toys?

ANY advice would be helpful, I'm not used to raising labs!
When I say hasn't been walked enough, I mean... it's bad. We have a big yard but her only 'pal' is our 9 year old Whippet x chihuahua who just wants to be a lap dog and she's only been getting maybe 1 good walk a week for the past 2 weeks.

She's my partners dog, but he's been working double shifts and I am running 3 weeks late to have my thesis in so i'm in front of a computer 24/7. Thankfully i'll be done in two weeks and in the meantime, I think i'm going to pay my housemate to take her out at least every second day.
When I say hasn't been walked enough, I mean... it's bad. We have a big yard but her only 'pal' is our 9 year old Whippet x chihuahua who just wants to be a lap dog and she's only been getting maybe 1 good walk a week for the past 2 weeks.

She's my partners dog, but he's been working double shifts and I am running 3 weeks late to have my thesis in so i'm in front of a computer 24/7. Thankfully i'll be done in two weeks and in the meantime, I think i'm going to pay my housemate to take her out at least every second day.
Puppies love to chew. There are 2 ways to curb it in this instance.

1 - crate her at night, or when you're gone, until she's old enough that she's over eating things.

2 - give her something to chew. Find her dog toys, or blankets/sheets of her own. When you catch her, take away what she's chewing, sold her, and replace it with what she's allowed to chew.
Most people stop buying dog toys because they just destroy them, or they throw way ruined blankets/items the dogs have chewed. Giving a puppy something she's ALLOWED to chew and destroy will help keep her form eating your stuff.

Giving her a blanket/bed/sheet that's just hers, for her to chew, should stop her form eating yours. (or, at least, curb it some.) Try designating a few ruined ones to her, put them in the places where she sleeps.

This applies if she's chew, and not ACTUALLY eating them. (swallowing.) Some dogs will actually EAT cloth, which is dangerous and can cause bowel obstructions.
Puppies love to chew. There are 2 ways to curb it in this instance.

1 - crate her at night, or when you're gone, until she's old enough that she's over eating things.

2 - give her something to chew. Find her dog toys, or blankets/sheets of her own. When you catch her, take away what she's chewing, sold her, and replace it with what she's allowed to chew.
Most people stop buying dog toys because they just destroy them, or they throw way ruined blankets/items the dogs have chewed. Giving a puppy something she's ALLOWED to chew and destroy will help keep her form eating your stuff.

Giving her a blanket/bed/sheet that's just hers, for her to chew, should stop her form eating yours. (or, at least, curb it some.) Try designating a few ruined ones to her, put them in the places where she sleeps.

This applies if she's chew, and not ACTUALLY eating them. (swallowing.) Some dogs will actually EAT cloth, which is dangerous and can cause bowel obstructions.
And yes, walking her, having someone play with her, run her around, will certainly help with her boredom.
And yes, walking her, having someone play with her, run her around, will certainly help with her boredom.
@Frankie
I'm definitely no expert, but a year+ ago my brother brought home a 6-10 month old German Shepherd.

Who is adorable, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, she was pretty awful for... ugh. Months. Biting, taking things that weren't hers, chewing on pillows, whatever. It was frustrating. Aside from getting the puppy its own chew toys and perhaps crating (excellent ideas!), there were really two things that helped with Inara (our girl) that might help.

1) Exercise. I ran (not as much now, though I should!) with Inara every day for a long time. I'm in... eh, decent, but not great shape, so it was more like 45 seconds of running and 5-6 minutes of walking, repeat for 45 minutes or so, but it really helped calm her down.

2) Time. Let's be honest, little kids are destructive. I literally broke a friend's parents' chandelier when I was little because my friend and I were playing with dumbbells in her bedroom (which happened to be right above the living room) and I accidentally dropped one onto the floor. Smash. ^^; Anyway, point being, I grew out of it (kinda... still clumsy!) and Inara has even mostly grown out of her unwanted behaviors (along with correcting much like you're doing and exercise and whatnot). So while it doesn't really help much now, I can tell you that with your help the puppy will probably grow out of it too.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if I can clarify anything!
@Frankie
I'm definitely no expert, but a year+ ago my brother brought home a 6-10 month old German Shepherd.

Who is adorable, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, she was pretty awful for... ugh. Months. Biting, taking things that weren't hers, chewing on pillows, whatever. It was frustrating. Aside from getting the puppy its own chew toys and perhaps crating (excellent ideas!), there were really two things that helped with Inara (our girl) that might help.

1) Exercise. I ran (not as much now, though I should!) with Inara every day for a long time. I'm in... eh, decent, but not great shape, so it was more like 45 seconds of running and 5-6 minutes of walking, repeat for 45 minutes or so, but it really helped calm her down.

2) Time. Let's be honest, little kids are destructive. I literally broke a friend's parents' chandelier when I was little because my friend and I were playing with dumbbells in her bedroom (which happened to be right above the living room) and I accidentally dropped one onto the floor. Smash. ^^; Anyway, point being, I grew out of it (kinda... still clumsy!) and Inara has even mostly grown out of her unwanted behaviors (along with correcting much like you're doing and exercise and whatnot). So while it doesn't really help much now, I can tell you that with your help the puppy will probably grow out of it too.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if I can clarify anything!
giphy.gif
@Katywampus

Ah, thank you SO much for this! I'm so out of shape with large breed puppies! You know, your post made me realise something - continuing to use already chewed sheets is probably encouraging her to keep doing it, right? Finish the job she started, I guess? I was sort of putting off replacing because I'm a student and I'm scared to have more ruined... but I might take her "favourite" off the bed and give it to her.

Unfortunately, she sleeps on the bed, it started because she'd chew up the house (literally, the house - it's old and been poorly "renovated" so no flooring is down properly so she's ripped up the carpet in two places and the lino in three places). Lately I've been trying to 'wean' her off though, and I think she's starting to clear off now that summer is starting.

I might put the chewed on in the corner where I've been trying to get her to sleep and make sure I collect some of her toys and maybe put them next to it?

I have worried about her ingesting the fabric, she doesn't seem to be but I've been keeping an eye on her movements as much as possible, I might look up symptoms of constipation as well, so I can keep track of it!

EEP sorry for talking so much!!!

@Katywampus

Ah, thank you SO much for this! I'm so out of shape with large breed puppies! You know, your post made me realise something - continuing to use already chewed sheets is probably encouraging her to keep doing it, right? Finish the job she started, I guess? I was sort of putting off replacing because I'm a student and I'm scared to have more ruined... but I might take her "favourite" off the bed and give it to her.

Unfortunately, she sleeps on the bed, it started because she'd chew up the house (literally, the house - it's old and been poorly "renovated" so no flooring is down properly so she's ripped up the carpet in two places and the lino in three places). Lately I've been trying to 'wean' her off though, and I think she's starting to clear off now that summer is starting.

I might put the chewed on in the corner where I've been trying to get her to sleep and make sure I collect some of her toys and maybe put them next to it?

I have worried about her ingesting the fabric, she doesn't seem to be but I've been keeping an eye on her movements as much as possible, I might look up symptoms of constipation as well, so I can keep track of it!

EEP sorry for talking so much!!!

@KsCandide I'm such a softy, I'm one of those people who "could never lock up my wittle Justice" god, this dog is going to grow up the WORST if I'm not careful XD.

RE: jogging... 45 minutes, oh god, how do you even!? I try to chase her around the backyard a bit each day and throw the ball for her and stuff, but I have bad joints so walking long is such a pain! My partner is supposed to do all this, I never wanted this dog... but of course, double shifts (and prior to that... he's a bloke). Do you think maybe if I tried to do several bursts of activity like that in the backyard to equal up to a decent timespan would help? Or do you think the extended "cool down" and lack of outside stimuli wouldn't suffice? More just trying to think of things for the short-term atm. It's just not right leaving her cooped up while I study, but if I leave the house i do this thing where it takes me like 2 hours to re-settle into studying.

Thank you SO much for this info, btw! You guys are incredible! I feel so much more prepared now!
@KsCandide I'm such a softy, I'm one of those people who "could never lock up my wittle Justice" god, this dog is going to grow up the WORST if I'm not careful XD.

RE: jogging... 45 minutes, oh god, how do you even!? I try to chase her around the backyard a bit each day and throw the ball for her and stuff, but I have bad joints so walking long is such a pain! My partner is supposed to do all this, I never wanted this dog... but of course, double shifts (and prior to that... he's a bloke). Do you think maybe if I tried to do several bursts of activity like that in the backyard to equal up to a decent timespan would help? Or do you think the extended "cool down" and lack of outside stimuli wouldn't suffice? More just trying to think of things for the short-term atm. It's just not right leaving her cooped up while I study, but if I leave the house i do this thing where it takes me like 2 hours to re-settle into studying.

Thank you SO much for this info, btw! You guys are incredible! I feel so much more prepared now!
@Frankie

I'm not an expert, but what we did to help curb our Retriever's destructive urges when we first got him was give him cardboard boxes with a few treats in if he was left alone.

Cardboard boxes are a LOT cheaper than dog toys, because you can just use whatever boxes your household generates. If you're worried about overfeeding, you don't have to use very many treats, just enough that the dog can smell them and feels that they've had a reward when they reach them.
@Frankie

I'm not an expert, but what we did to help curb our Retriever's destructive urges when we first got him was give him cardboard boxes with a few treats in if he was left alone.

Cardboard boxes are a LOT cheaper than dog toys, because you can just use whatever boxes your household generates. If you're worried about overfeeding, you don't have to use very many treats, just enough that the dog can smell them and feels that they've had a reward when they reach them.
GmuidIt.png
@Frankie

Something you could try....get a lunge whip, like for horses. The largest one you possibly can get-usually you get them at a place like tractor supply company or a feed store. Tie a toy or even a plastic bag to the end. You now have a toy-on-a-stick, and it will burn a lot of energy off. It's how people train dogs for lure coursing or even one of the many ways to just get some exercise in without too much effort. There are smaller ones that come with toys, made for dogs, but they're so short that it's hard to get a dog really going with them.

Mental stimulation is also a big thing to curb energy. Various puzzle toys are available, from roll-a-treats to the Nina Ottoson toys. You can also freeze stuff and treats into kongs, put treats into ice cubes. Training also helps, it's not just about correct behaviors, it's about the dog doing *something* and mentally working at it.

And if you can't do long walks, that's ok. Shorter walks, multiple times a day will help. Walks are a big deal, because not only is it exercise, but there's a lot of stuff going on in the big, wide world, and it does also provide another form of mental stimulation.
@Frankie

Something you could try....get a lunge whip, like for horses. The largest one you possibly can get-usually you get them at a place like tractor supply company or a feed store. Tie a toy or even a plastic bag to the end. You now have a toy-on-a-stick, and it will burn a lot of energy off. It's how people train dogs for lure coursing or even one of the many ways to just get some exercise in without too much effort. There are smaller ones that come with toys, made for dogs, but they're so short that it's hard to get a dog really going with them.

Mental stimulation is also a big thing to curb energy. Various puzzle toys are available, from roll-a-treats to the Nina Ottoson toys. You can also freeze stuff and treats into kongs, put treats into ice cubes. Training also helps, it's not just about correct behaviors, it's about the dog doing *something* and mentally working at it.

And if you can't do long walks, that's ok. Shorter walks, multiple times a day will help. Walks are a big deal, because not only is it exercise, but there's a lot of stuff going on in the big, wide world, and it does also provide another form of mental stimulation.
@Havelocked OH MY GOD! YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE GENIUS!!! We have those rubber ball toys which you can put the treats in (we just use kibble because she's a Lab and will eat anything) but our older dog is used to being an 'only child' so he literally won't share any treat ball with her.

But boxes... oh my gosh! She used to LOVE getting into the boxes under my bed and we have like 30 that my idiot partner stored under the deck which leaks.. so they're dry but not really sturdy enough to use anymore... I could totally use some smaller ones for that. And I know she always spits it out because... well... i've seen the distruction! XD
@Havelocked OH MY GOD! YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE GENIUS!!! We have those rubber ball toys which you can put the treats in (we just use kibble because she's a Lab and will eat anything) but our older dog is used to being an 'only child' so he literally won't share any treat ball with her.

But boxes... oh my gosh! She used to LOVE getting into the boxes under my bed and we have like 30 that my idiot partner stored under the deck which leaks.. so they're dry but not really sturdy enough to use anymore... I could totally use some smaller ones for that. And I know she always spits it out because... well... i've seen the distruction! XD
1 2