Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Preserving the Breed" they said.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
@Preytorian Irresponsibly placed traps are indeed a danger, but a good live trap offer little to no danger to the public, especially not a remote-controlled one with surveillance cameras. I've got a friend who own land next to a hunting estate, and he have major problems with the wild boar they nurture for hunting there. One of his live traps can easily catch double digits a day during the worst infestations. I think his record is 26 boar in one trap. No panicking animals, no stressful deaths, no danger to the public or other wildlife who don't belong there.. and at minimal work as well. Works for European boar at least, and I can't imagine that the hogs on he other side of the pond are any more vigilant than those shy animals.

Oh well. Either way, your hog infestation is a real shame. It must be impossible to be a farmer in the afflicted areas.
@Preytorian Irresponsibly placed traps are indeed a danger, but a good live trap offer little to no danger to the public, especially not a remote-controlled one with surveillance cameras. I've got a friend who own land next to a hunting estate, and he have major problems with the wild boar they nurture for hunting there. One of his live traps can easily catch double digits a day during the worst infestations. I think his record is 26 boar in one trap. No panicking animals, no stressful deaths, no danger to the public or other wildlife who don't belong there.. and at minimal work as well. Works for European boar at least, and I can't imagine that the hogs on he other side of the pond are any more vigilant than those shy animals.

Oh well. Either way, your hog infestation is a real shame. It must be impossible to be a farmer in the afflicted areas.
@Karja

Than you for adding the extra info and clearing things up! I know more about cats than I do dogs so I'm far from being an expert on them
@Karja

Than you for adding the extra info and clearing things up! I know more about cats than I do dogs so I'm far from being an expert on them
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
@ArchieHicox I have no idea where you get the idea that cowbells are heavy... the ones I've seen are light enough for me to wear around my neck 24/7. I can pick them up with two of my fingers and hold them there for two hours without having any sort of issue. in fact! the heavier a cowbell is, the less effective it is. you need to make them from something thin to have a good sound. I dont know what they use in switzerland, but over here, our cowbells look like this. [img]http://patriotupdate.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Cow-Bell-759x500.jpg[/img] I think its far more important for the safety of the cow to have them than to not have them. I'd much rather have a safe, alive, and uninjured cow versus one that may have gotten killed or injured and me being unable to find them. cows fall down into pits and get trapped places all the time.. I would never want to have my cow die a slow painful death because of that.
@ArchieHicox

I have no idea where you get the idea that cowbells are heavy...

the ones I've seen are light enough for me to wear around my neck 24/7. I can pick them up with two of my fingers and hold them there for two hours without having any sort of issue.

in fact! the heavier a cowbell is, the less effective it is. you need to make them from something thin to have a good sound.

I dont know what they use in switzerland, but over here, our cowbells look like this.

Cow-Bell-759x500.jpg

I think its far more important for the safety of the cow to have them than to not have them. I'd much rather have a safe, alive, and uninjured cow versus one that may have gotten killed or injured and me being unable to find them.

cows fall down into pits and get trapped places all the time.. I would never want to have my cow die a slow painful death because of that.
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
@Plenilune

You're welcome. I'm a pretty big nerd when it comes to dog breeds and researching genetic stuff. There's been a lot of misinformation or very partial information floating about for some years now, and I've done some digging on some specific things....not to mention all the dog groups on FB that I poke around on. It gets pretty enlightening. X3
@Plenilune

You're welcome. I'm a pretty big nerd when it comes to dog breeds and researching genetic stuff. There's been a lot of misinformation or very partial information floating about for some years now, and I've done some digging on some specific things....not to mention all the dog groups on FB that I poke around on. It gets pretty enlightening. X3
@Zrcalo
I see. I was actually talking about Swiss cows from the beginning. I had no idea they use cowbells in the US or elsewhere, as I have never seen a cow there wearing a bell.

Here is a picture, I hope it works. These are rather small compared to others. And while not all the cows wear those big bells, at least the lead cow does.
And they are heavy. I lifted them. And they are loud. Extremely loud. If you're hiking and there are cows near you with bells, you almost need to yell to talk to someone.
No one can tell me they are any good for cows.
@Zrcalo
I see. I was actually talking about Swiss cows from the beginning. I had no idea they use cowbells in the US or elsewhere, as I have never seen a cow there wearing a bell.

Here is a picture, I hope it works. These are rather small compared to others. And while not all the cows wear those big bells, at least the lead cow does.
And they are heavy. I lifted them. And they are loud. Extremely loud. If you're hiking and there are cows near you with bells, you almost need to yell to talk to someone.
No one can tell me they are any good for cows.
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
@ArchieHox
That...is....what is that?

How is that even a thing? OMG. I understand what you were saying now, about them being heavy and loud. All the bells I've seen in the US are just the dinky little ones that Zrcalo posted. That does not look very comfortable at all.

(But on a side note, doooooooo, little squishy Swissies. We have a pair at our Zoo, Daisy and her daughter Tulip, and they are such sweethearts. We used Daisy for milking demonstrations when she was pregnant with Tulip and she was super chill. All the kids got pet her too, and she was giving out lil kisses)
@ArchieHox
That...is....what is that?

How is that even a thing? OMG. I understand what you were saying now, about them being heavy and loud. All the bells I've seen in the US are just the dinky little ones that Zrcalo posted. That does not look very comfortable at all.

(But on a side note, doooooooo, little squishy Swissies. We have a pair at our Zoo, Daisy and her daughter Tulip, and they are such sweethearts. We used Daisy for milking demonstrations when she was pregnant with Tulip and she was super chill. All the kids got pet her too, and she was giving out lil kisses)
@ArchieHicox

That's when you regulate size for regular, every day use. -.- An outright ban on the bells altogether could mean various, worse things. Cows getting lost, injured, or worse. It may cause farmers to restrict their cows to pastures or lots instead of having them roam to the degree that they do, which isn't healthy for the cows or the land. Herds constantly moving over land actually keeps it healthy. Keeping them restricted can burn land out, and land with a reduced number of grazers, or even none, can lead to desertification.

Even if GPS was an alternative, it is mountainous areas and signals most likely can be lost. Technology is far from perfected, and when it comes to farmers, ranchers...the people who grow, raise, and provide our food stuffs, they typically get the short end of the stick. They're kind of a minority and aren't all that profitable in many companies eyes. Look at fuel efficient cars vs trucks. At best trucks are sitting typically at around 25 mpg, and some of the current cars are around 40+. -.-
@ArchieHicox

That's when you regulate size for regular, every day use. -.- An outright ban on the bells altogether could mean various, worse things. Cows getting lost, injured, or worse. It may cause farmers to restrict their cows to pastures or lots instead of having them roam to the degree that they do, which isn't healthy for the cows or the land. Herds constantly moving over land actually keeps it healthy. Keeping them restricted can burn land out, and land with a reduced number of grazers, or even none, can lead to desertification.

Even if GPS was an alternative, it is mountainous areas and signals most likely can be lost. Technology is far from perfected, and when it comes to farmers, ranchers...the people who grow, raise, and provide our food stuffs, they typically get the short end of the stick. They're kind of a minority and aren't all that profitable in many companies eyes. Look at fuel efficient cars vs trucks. At best trucks are sitting typically at around 25 mpg, and some of the current cars are around 40+. -.-
@ArchieHicox

You know. Had you posted a picture of that to begin with, my statements would have been a bit different. Because when I think "cowbell" I think the size that Zrcalo posted.
@ArchieHicox

You know. Had you posted a picture of that to begin with, my statements would have been a bit different. Because when I think "cowbell" I think the size that Zrcalo posted.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
Cropping, docking, DE-CLAWING, de-voicing, just.........no.

People don't seem to realize how cruel de-clawing is. It is NOT like getting your nails clipped. It's like getting your fingers cut of at the first knuckle.

And using "tradition" to excuse what you're doing is ridiculous.
Cropping, docking, DE-CLAWING, de-voicing, just.........no.

People don't seem to realize how cruel de-clawing is. It is NOT like getting your nails clipped. It's like getting your fingers cut of at the first knuckle.

And using "tradition" to excuse what you're doing is ridiculous.
og0rGtI.jpg
I support docking for working dogs since their tails could get stepped on by cattle or another heavier herding animal, causing the dog excruciating pain and sometimes irreversible damage.

but theres a difference between WORKING DOGS and PETS.
Getting a tail docked or cropping or anything of the sort constitutes as animal cruelty and should be banned.
No one should care about "tradition" they should only care about whether or not getting it done will benefit them for the better in the long run.
your rottweiler's tail whacks you too hard? live with it.
dog barks too much? why'd you even get an animal if you don't want it to talk?

not every animal can be boxed and fitted to your needs. its disgusting.
if there is no practical use for the procedure, don't do it.
I support docking for working dogs since their tails could get stepped on by cattle or another heavier herding animal, causing the dog excruciating pain and sometimes irreversible damage.

but theres a difference between WORKING DOGS and PETS.
Getting a tail docked or cropping or anything of the sort constitutes as animal cruelty and should be banned.
No one should care about "tradition" they should only care about whether or not getting it done will benefit them for the better in the long run.
your rottweiler's tail whacks you too hard? live with it.
dog barks too much? why'd you even get an animal if you don't want it to talk?

not every animal can be boxed and fitted to your needs. its disgusting.
if there is no practical use for the procedure, don't do it.
efohDtn.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11