Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Preserving the Breed" they said.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@Finnley

Now that you mention it-when I drove out to Rachel, NV there's a lot of ranches and free range cows wandering about. I've seen cows laying by the side of the road, crossing it, hell I even saw that there was a dead one that was moved to the side of the road! A lot of them are black cows and I can only imagine driving down there at night where the closest gas station is back like 40 miles in Ash Springs (give or take), hitting a huge black cow, trying to call for help, maybe having some issues with it and having to wait for help out there in basically nowhere.
@Finnley

Now that you mention it-when I drove out to Rachel, NV there's a lot of ranches and free range cows wandering about. I've seen cows laying by the side of the road, crossing it, hell I even saw that there was a dead one that was moved to the side of the road! A lot of them are black cows and I can only imagine driving down there at night where the closest gas station is back like 40 miles in Ash Springs (give or take), hitting a huge black cow, trying to call for help, maybe having some issues with it and having to wait for help out there in basically nowhere.
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
I think @karja brings up a couple good points about ear docking and tail cropping. In some working dogs, it may be safer to have in done at a very young age instead of dealing with constant issues. I've seen dogs with constant ear and tail injuries, and it doesn't seem very comfortable.

But in terms of pure aesthetics and showmanship where the cropping/docking is done only to maintain a certain look, I don't see the point. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of show lines and whatnot due to the other health issues that have become so common in hobby.

In addition, I also think Karja is right in saying you can't be completely against docking/cropping but in favour of spaying/neutering. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for spaying/neutering strays (especially feral felines) in order to help keep stray populations down, but my own puppy will not be getting spayed for at least a couple years. I myself have certain health issues in regards to my reproductive organs, which could easily be fixed by having everything removed. But every doctor I have talked to has gone into a near frenzy saying that the health risks of having everything removed at a young age far outweigh the potential benefits it would have on alleviating my disease. So why then, it is encouraged to have everything removed from our pets at the earliest age possible?

I will say that I think there is some potential benefit in neutering males at a YOUNG age in regards to preventing the development of certain behaviours that are triggered by the influx of testosterone, but good training/socialization and responsible pet ownership are a huge factor as well. But neutering a male at a late age isn't going to do anything to fix behavioural issues.

I think more studies need to be done to measure long-term health benefits and risks of spaying/neutering at young ages, but I just find it odd that in humans it is considered serious enough to not be done unless it is the last possible solution left, but in animals it is considered the first. Something to think about, I guess.
I think @karja brings up a couple good points about ear docking and tail cropping. In some working dogs, it may be safer to have in done at a very young age instead of dealing with constant issues. I've seen dogs with constant ear and tail injuries, and it doesn't seem very comfortable.

But in terms of pure aesthetics and showmanship where the cropping/docking is done only to maintain a certain look, I don't see the point. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of show lines and whatnot due to the other health issues that have become so common in hobby.

In addition, I also think Karja is right in saying you can't be completely against docking/cropping but in favour of spaying/neutering. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for spaying/neutering strays (especially feral felines) in order to help keep stray populations down, but my own puppy will not be getting spayed for at least a couple years. I myself have certain health issues in regards to my reproductive organs, which could easily be fixed by having everything removed. But every doctor I have talked to has gone into a near frenzy saying that the health risks of having everything removed at a young age far outweigh the potential benefits it would have on alleviating my disease. So why then, it is encouraged to have everything removed from our pets at the earliest age possible?

I will say that I think there is some potential benefit in neutering males at a YOUNG age in regards to preventing the development of certain behaviours that are triggered by the influx of testosterone, but good training/socialization and responsible pet ownership are a huge factor as well. But neutering a male at a late age isn't going to do anything to fix behavioural issues.

I think more studies need to be done to measure long-term health benefits and risks of spaying/neutering at young ages, but I just find it odd that in humans it is considered serious enough to not be done unless it is the last possible solution left, but in animals it is considered the first. Something to think about, I guess.
@ashotinthedark Oh dude, nightmare scenario... :( Cows must be the worst animal in the world to hit with a car... I imagine they're the height where they wouldn't go over the car, or be pushed down - but fall right over the drivers seat. At least with deer and elk you can aim for the lighter rear if you have a few extra seconds of reaction time. But cows are just a solid block of mass. I hope the drivers made it out alright..

But yeah, imagine the same night scenario but you're camping. You can't really see anything, and you know there's roaming, 800 kg animals that might already be used to humans... yikes. I'm all for the bells..
@ashotinthedark Oh dude, nightmare scenario... :( Cows must be the worst animal in the world to hit with a car... I imagine they're the height where they wouldn't go over the car, or be pushed down - but fall right over the drivers seat. At least with deer and elk you can aim for the lighter rear if you have a few extra seconds of reaction time. But cows are just a solid block of mass. I hope the drivers made it out alright..

But yeah, imagine the same night scenario but you're camping. You can't really see anything, and you know there's roaming, 800 kg animals that might already be used to humans... yikes. I'm all for the bells..
Also, yes, docking and cropping has its place. In some cases, with working dogs, failing to do so can lead to the animals death. Hogs for example have been known to bite onto tails to trap hunting dogs and then run the dog over. Similar tactics have been known to be used by badgers - one badger bites the tail so it can't run, while the others attack the dog. It isn't pretty. I would absolutely consider docking a working dog, if needed.

On pets though, for aesthetic reasons? Hah, no way. There is NO point.
Also, yes, docking and cropping has its place. In some cases, with working dogs, failing to do so can lead to the animals death. Hogs for example have been known to bite onto tails to trap hunting dogs and then run the dog over. Similar tactics have been known to be used by badgers - one badger bites the tail so it can't run, while the others attack the dog. It isn't pretty. I would absolutely consider docking a working dog, if needed.

On pets though, for aesthetic reasons? Hah, no way. There is NO point.
I get uncomfortable when people says pugs and bulldogs are cute when they're all suffering from bad breeding practices that leave them with breathing difficulties from having such a squashed face. They didn't look like that originally and it's not cute at all. At least pugs people have started to revert them back to what they looked like originally with longer faces and proper bodies. The same for bulldogs so that they can function more healthily while also being able t actually give birth on their own which is something current bulldogs can't do. Rhodesian ridgebacks face similar problems because the ridge is a mutation and not a guarantee in a little. I remember watched a video about show dogs and this woman saying puppies without a ridge were culled because they were seen as less ideal.

Cats have similar problems like the scottish fold breed is something that should be phased out entirely because they are prone to painful neurological problems due to the mutation that makes their ears fold like that. Let's also not forget that declawing your cat is a cruel practice that causes them extreme pain and complications
I get uncomfortable when people says pugs and bulldogs are cute when they're all suffering from bad breeding practices that leave them with breathing difficulties from having such a squashed face. They didn't look like that originally and it's not cute at all. At least pugs people have started to revert them back to what they looked like originally with longer faces and proper bodies. The same for bulldogs so that they can function more healthily while also being able t actually give birth on their own which is something current bulldogs can't do. Rhodesian ridgebacks face similar problems because the ridge is a mutation and not a guarantee in a little. I remember watched a video about show dogs and this woman saying puppies without a ridge were culled because they were seen as less ideal.

Cats have similar problems like the scottish fold breed is something that should be phased out entirely because they are prone to painful neurological problems due to the mutation that makes their ears fold like that. Let's also not forget that declawing your cat is a cruel practice that causes them extreme pain and complications
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
@Finnley beef cows free range all across the USA. none of them wear cow bells. nor are they a real danger to the public -- cows will always move away if you come towards them. even huge hulking bulls who are protecting their cows.

like everything else, they're typically only a danger if they feel threatened.

@Finnley nope, we do kill them en masse. it doesn't make a difference -- partly because of compensatory rebound, partly because pigs are super good at surviving as a species. they're the cockroaches of the swine family.

poisoning and traps are mostly used on coyotes, and it's awful. neither should be used because of the danger to the public.
@Finnley beef cows free range all across the USA. none of them wear cow bells. nor are they a real danger to the public -- cows will always move away if you come towards them. even huge hulking bulls who are protecting their cows.

like everything else, they're typically only a danger if they feel threatened.

@Finnley nope, we do kill them en masse. it doesn't make a difference -- partly because of compensatory rebound, partly because pigs are super good at surviving as a species. they're the cockroaches of the swine family.

poisoning and traps are mostly used on coyotes, and it's awful. neither should be used because of the danger to the public.
they are hovering nervously.
you will watch the skies.
you will wait.
It depends on the breed and the standard... I show and my dogs hunt..Cropping ears isn't always for cosmetic either, I'd rather not have my dog get it's ears torn to shreds by thorns when It's doing it's job as a working dog. I don't like how bulldogs and pugs and some smaller breeds are being changed cosmetically. It's pathetic seeing those dogs struggle...but honestly people should not say anything when they don't understand. Breed standard tends to change because morons run the clubs or breed organizations. It's usually not the owners fault. Don't judge when you have a little lap dog or some trained mutt. (this isn't directed to anyone) Every breed is different. But I don't like how some are being modified...it's sad.
It depends on the breed and the standard... I show and my dogs hunt..Cropping ears isn't always for cosmetic either, I'd rather not have my dog get it's ears torn to shreds by thorns when It's doing it's job as a working dog. I don't like how bulldogs and pugs and some smaller breeds are being changed cosmetically. It's pathetic seeing those dogs struggle...but honestly people should not say anything when they don't understand. Breed standard tends to change because morons run the clubs or breed organizations. It's usually not the owners fault. Don't judge when you have a little lap dog or some trained mutt. (this isn't directed to anyone) Every breed is different. But I don't like how some are being modified...it's sad.
I lick things to claim them as my own..
This makes me angry >:C Tradition or not, cropping/docking is not ok (unless its for a some sort of work dog, which is unerderstandable, as it's for the dog's safety). The dog's health is more important than how elegant it looks. The way humans mess with animals just because they can just makes me so angry, GAH.
This makes me angry >:C Tradition or not, cropping/docking is not ok (unless its for a some sort of work dog, which is unerderstandable, as it's for the dog's safety). The dog's health is more important than how elegant it looks. The way humans mess with animals just because they can just makes me so angry, GAH.
T h y l a c i n u s , # 8 1 5 9 9
I personally think animals are much cuter when they have their long ears and tails.
Nubs are just ridiculous looking.

I don't think in this day and age we should be subjecting animals to these stupid "traditions" anymore.
I personally think animals are much cuter when they have their long ears and tails.
Nubs are just ridiculous looking.

I don't think in this day and age we should be subjecting animals to these stupid "traditions" anymore.
Also might I add. Cropping at a young age doesn't cause much pain. Neither does docking. It should be done around 8 weeks or less. When a dog is older...then i consider it cruel. Dogs used for work or has the potential to be a top show dog are really the only dogs who should be altered. Not regular pets. (My dogs are also my pets lol)
Also might I add. Cropping at a young age doesn't cause much pain. Neither does docking. It should be done around 8 weeks or less. When a dog is older...then i consider it cruel. Dogs used for work or has the potential to be a top show dog are really the only dogs who should be altered. Not regular pets. (My dogs are also my pets lol)
I lick things to claim them as my own..
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11