Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Weekly Writing Prompt
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 21
@LongLiveFangirls @Cerastes @CornixElecti

Just a quick reminder that less than 24 hours remain to submit your writing submission for the current prompt! :D

If you already have submitted, ignore this post!
@LongLiveFangirls @Cerastes @CornixElecti

Just a quick reminder that less than 24 hours remain to submit your writing submission for the current prompt! :D

If you already have submitted, ignore this post!
BxKG0Wm.pngCWeAHQD.png0JXAHR0.png
~
~
@MizuKuma [quote]I sighed as I came into Girt's room: a complete mess. It appeared as though someone had decided it would be a good idea to leave the windows open during a tornado. Cabinets were pulled out of the dresser, their contents scattered across the floor. A [b]dirty sock[/b] hung depressingly on the side of one of them. The desk was scribbled on with [b]pencil[/b] and the bedspread was ripped off, it's normal resting place. Gert raged often, making her room a disaster. This time though, something felt different. Whenever Gert had one of her rages, it would never appeared to have a cause, at least by the evidence of the wreckage. This rage didn't appear to be a rage. It felt more like a search. I gasped as it suddenly clicked. Gert had left earlier today to see her aunt. There was no way she could've been back by then. Someone must have broken in. I dashed through the room, trying to figure out what was missing. I shuffled through piles of clothes, shuddering when I found what appeared to be a year old sandwich. I made my way to the desk. I squinted at the scribbles, trying to discern the nonsense. I took a step back and tried again. This time, the seemingly random lines appeared to be grouped together forming words. I stood there for a few moments slowly making out each letter. Then I got it. [b]"chicken soup". [/b]Everything became clear. Years ago, before I had met Gert, I hung out the people that always got me in trouble, whether that be from when they dragged me along to go shoplift or to go smoke cigarettes from behind the school. It made me feel powerful, though, when I was with them. We had code words too, but normally they would be used as a joke. The most commonly used one (when not so much a joke) was "[b]chicken soup[/b]". Every time one of us got in hot water, when we were supposed to be calling our parents, we would call each other saying to bring some chicken soup while they were at it. Then, someone would (normally) come and pick us up while the adults backs were turned. One of the gang was in trouble. This couldn't be good. This couldn't be good at all. I picked up a ragged sheet of paper and scribbled a quick note to Gert. I slid on a jacket and walked outside, beginning to make my way to the old factory, where we used to always meet up. I sighed. [/quote] I have to say, most of the time I'm horrible at short stories. This was one of my better ones.
@MizuKuma
Quote:
I sighed as I came into Girt's room: a complete mess. It appeared as though someone had decided it would be a good idea to leave the windows open during a tornado. Cabinets were pulled out of the dresser, their contents scattered across the floor. A dirty sock hung depressingly on the side of one of them. The desk was scribbled on with pencil and the bedspread was ripped off, it's normal resting place.

Gert raged often, making her room a disaster. This time though, something felt different. Whenever Gert had one of her rages, it would never appeared to have a cause, at least by the evidence of the wreckage. This rage didn't appear to be a rage. It felt more like a search.
I gasped as it suddenly clicked. Gert had left earlier today to see her aunt. There was no way she could've been back by then. Someone must have broken in. I dashed through the room, trying to figure out what was missing.

I shuffled through piles of clothes, shuddering when I found what appeared to be a year old sandwich. I made my way to the desk. I squinted at the scribbles, trying to discern the nonsense. I took a step back and tried again. This time, the seemingly random lines appeared to be grouped together forming words. I stood there for a few moments slowly making out each letter. Then I got it. "chicken soup". Everything became clear.

Years ago, before I had met Gert, I hung out the people that always got me in trouble, whether that be from when they dragged me along to go shoplift or to go smoke cigarettes from behind the school. It made me feel powerful, though, when I was with them. We had code words too, but normally they would be used as a joke. The most commonly used one (when not so much a joke) was "chicken soup". Every time one of us got in hot water, when we were supposed to be calling our parents, we would call each other saying to bring some chicken soup while they were at it. Then, someone would (normally) come and pick us up while the adults backs were turned.

One of the gang was in trouble. This couldn't be good. This couldn't be good at all. I picked up a ragged sheet of paper and scribbled a quick note to Gert. I slid on a jacket and walked outside, beginning to make my way to the old factory, where we used to always meet up. I sighed.

I have to say, most of the time I'm horrible at short stories. This was one of my better ones.
zdGr5so.png

>mysa/saint
>he/her
>FR+3
GWuVj5n.png
@LongLiveFangirls
That was a great read! Thanks for sharing!

I like seeing what people can do with these three random words. :D
@LongLiveFangirls
That was a great read! Thanks for sharing!

I like seeing what people can do with these three random words. :D
@CornixElecti @LongLiveFangirls

Our winner this week is LongLiveFangirls! Your story was entertaining and left me wanting more! I want to know more about this group. Who are they? Who was in trouble? Where is Gert? Who are you?

All of these questions kept me in suspense and made me want to know more about your story. Therefore, you are this week's winner and your prize is on the way!

----

To both of you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your writing! Thank you so much for sharing it with me! I will have the new prompt up shortly! Participate again! Let's get more people involved! Ping your friends! I want to read everyone's writing! :D
@CornixElecti @LongLiveFangirls

Our winner this week is LongLiveFangirls! Your story was entertaining and left me wanting more! I want to know more about this group. Who are they? Who was in trouble? Where is Gert? Who are you?

All of these questions kept me in suspense and made me want to know more about your story. Therefore, you are this week's winner and your prize is on the way!

----

To both of you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your writing! Thank you so much for sharing it with me! I will have the new prompt up shortly! Participate again! Let's get more people involved! Ping your friends! I want to read everyone's writing! :D
@LongLiveFangirls @Cerastes @CornixElecti @Leopardmask New prompt is up!! [quote=Words] [b]Prompt time: October 12, 2015 - October 18, 2015[/b] [b]Prompt type:[/b] Sandwich [b]Prompt:[/b] You must start your writing with [b]"They told me not to walk into the office, but I did...."[/b] and end it with [b]"That's how I wound up here, stuck in this shipping crate, on the run from Interpol."[/b] [b]Prize:[/b] 10k[img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/icon_treasure.png[/img] +2k[img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/icon_treasure.png[/img] for every participant. [size=2][i]6 participants = 10k + (6 x 2) = 22k [/quote] Happy writing and good luck! [size=2]Invite your friends for the chance to win more treasure!!![/size]
@LongLiveFangirls @Cerastes @CornixElecti @Leopardmask

New prompt is up!!

Words wrote:
Prompt time: October 12, 2015 - October 18, 2015
Prompt type: Sandwich

Prompt:
You must start your writing with "They told me not to walk into the office, but I did...." and end it with "That's how I wound up here, stuck in this shipping crate, on the run from Interpol."

Prize:
10kicon_treasure.png
+2kicon_treasure.png for every participant.
6 participants = 10k + (6 x 2) = 22k

Happy writing and good luck!

Invite your friends for the chance to win more treasure!!!
@lillirain

*pokes* Hey you. There's this cool weekly writing prompt thing. And it's a pretty cool prompt. :D
Check it out.
@lillirain

*pokes* Hey you. There's this cool weekly writing prompt thing. And it's a pretty cool prompt. :D
Check it out.
zdGr5so.png

>mysa/saint
>he/her
>FR+3
GWuVj5n.png
@MizuKuma [img]http://i.imgur.com/UIO9rwR.png[/img] I took the crazy scifi/fantasy route for this challenge... [b]They told me not to walk into the office, but I did.... [/b] Inside was my enemy Dualsephol. His staff flashed and his eyes glowed like embers. The final battle had begun. I charged at him screaming and blasting him with blue orbs of energy which he deflected with a twirl of his staff, flinging my projectiles into the walls and blasting the office to smithereens. He leaped into the air and hovered there taunting me. I flew after him, keeping up my barrage of attacks, pushing him back into the wall of the skyscraper behind us. Our battle was devastating the city. Dualsephol lifted up a billboard and flung it at me, but I activated my shielding and punctured a hole through the thing leaving it hurtling behind me to crash onto the bridge. I swore an oath long ago that I would not cause direct harm to humans, but thankfully unavoidable casualties in the heat of battle did not count against my oath. Spinning though the air I wrapped energy around myself creating a whirlwind of blue aura which I set loose at Dualsephol. He was thrown back through the sky but quickly recovered and laughed at my attack. He was surprised, however, by my returning smile “it wasn’t meant to hurt you” I boasted “It was meant to move you.” His eyes widened in shock as he realised that he was in the centre of a Shamulen Triode marked across the sky. “NOOOOOO” he bellowed as he was sucked into the great spinning vortex. I flew quickly away from destruction. I knew I didn’t have much time, even then I felt my powers fading. My mission was complete and now I had to live with the dubious privilege of spending the rest of my days on the planet I saved. It was the fate of all successful Trandaides. I was so focused on my mission of destroying Dualsephol that the thought of life afterwards never occurred to me. My powers were now spent and I landed clumsily by some docks. In the typical fashion of this small wet planet the sky seemed fit to start drenching me with a downfall of water, ‘rain’ they called it. I spotted a building with warm lights and headed to it. Peering through the window to get a better look I saw humans drinking and watching a screen with my face on it, with words slowly creeping their way across the bottom of the image saying “wanted” and “international menace”. It was then that one of the burley humans noticed me. He looked at me, signalled his friends and they left the building coming into the rain as another engaged his communication device and called for backup. Even now, powerless, I could still take them, but they were humans, and I was forbidden from harming them, so my remaining option was fleeing. [b]That's how I wound up here, stuck in this shipping crate, on the run from Interpol. [/b]
@MizuKuma

UIO9rwR.png I took the crazy scifi/fantasy route for this challenge...

They told me not to walk into the office, but I did....
Inside was my enemy Dualsephol. His staff flashed and his eyes glowed like embers. The final battle had begun.
I charged at him screaming and blasting him with blue orbs of energy which he deflected with a twirl of his staff, flinging my projectiles into the walls and blasting the office to smithereens.
He leaped into the air and hovered there taunting me.

I flew after him, keeping up my barrage of attacks, pushing him back into the wall of the skyscraper behind us.
Our battle was devastating the city. Dualsephol lifted up a billboard and flung it at me, but I activated my shielding and punctured a hole through the thing leaving it hurtling behind me to crash onto the bridge.
I swore an oath long ago that I would not cause direct harm to humans, but thankfully unavoidable casualties in the heat of battle did not count against my oath.
Spinning though the air I wrapped energy around myself creating a whirlwind of blue aura which I set loose at Dualsephol.
He was thrown back through the sky but quickly recovered and laughed at my attack.
He was surprised, however, by my returning smile “it wasn’t meant to hurt you” I boasted “It was meant to move you.”
His eyes widened in shock as he realised that he was in the centre of a Shamulen Triode marked across the sky.
“NOOOOOO” he bellowed as he was sucked into the great spinning vortex.

I flew quickly away from destruction. I knew I didn’t have much time, even then I felt my powers fading. My mission was complete and now I had to live with the dubious privilege of spending the rest of my days on the planet I saved. It was the fate of all successful Trandaides.
I was so focused on my mission of destroying Dualsephol that the thought of life afterwards never occurred to me. My powers were now spent and I landed clumsily by some docks. In the typical fashion of this small wet planet the sky seemed fit to start drenching me with a downfall of water, ‘rain’ they called it.
I spotted a building with warm lights and headed to it. Peering through the window to get a better look I saw humans drinking and watching a screen with my face on it, with words slowly creeping their way across the bottom of the image saying “wanted” and “international menace”.

It was then that one of the burley humans noticed me. He looked at me, signalled his friends and they left the building coming into the rain as another engaged his communication device and called for backup.
Even now, powerless, I could still take them, but they were humans, and I was forbidden from harming them, so my remaining option was fleeing.
That's how I wound up here, stuck in this shipping crate, on the run from Interpol.
@huchbuch

First off, I enjoyed it! You did a good job connecting the beginning and the ending and just made it in under 500 words! Good job!

There were a few grammatical and spelling errors spatted throughout, mostly missing commas or run-on sentences. Little things that are relatively easy to ignore; things that definitely do not hinder the meaning of your writing.

There was no natural segue between being in the office and being outside. That momentarily confused me and I did have to re-read it to make sense of it.

You used a lot of fantastic vocab words in there that made me smile. Some were: smithereens, burly, and barrage. You actually made me feel, especially at the end, that your character was not from earth. I think that was the perfect way to top off your story.

All in all, with your word count limited and the beginning and ending already written, I think you have done a fantastic job! It kept me entertained for all 496 words!
@huchbuch

First off, I enjoyed it! You did a good job connecting the beginning and the ending and just made it in under 500 words! Good job!

There were a few grammatical and spelling errors spatted throughout, mostly missing commas or run-on sentences. Little things that are relatively easy to ignore; things that definitely do not hinder the meaning of your writing.

There was no natural segue between being in the office and being outside. That momentarily confused me and I did have to re-read it to make sense of it.

You used a lot of fantastic vocab words in there that made me smile. Some were: smithereens, burly, and barrage. You actually made me feel, especially at the end, that your character was not from earth. I think that was the perfect way to top off your story.

All in all, with your word count limited and the beginning and ending already written, I think you have done a fantastic job! It kept me entertained for all 496 words!
Just under halfway done this week's prompt. Make sure you get your submissions in before Sunday evening rollover for them to be counted!

Ping your friends! The more people we have, the more the prize will be! (And the more I increase it next week!)
Just under halfway done this week's prompt. Make sure you get your submissions in before Sunday evening rollover for them to be counted!

Ping your friends! The more people we have, the more the prize will be! (And the more I increase it next week!)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 21