Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Genes Contribute to cooldown
1 2 3 4
No support for reasons already mentioned ^.^
No support for reasons already mentioned ^.^
I'm going to chime in with the side that would not like to see this. First of all dragons were never intended to be a major source of profit. It is quite possible to make a living breeding dragons, although this generally involves finding a niche and being good at marketing.

I personally don’t see increasing cooldown length doing much to help as the length of cooldown is not the limiting factor when it comes to breeding; it’s the number of nests a player has. I have went a year hatching a nest a day and never in that time did I run out of RTB dragons. A couple downfalls of increasing cooldowns is it will make breeding projects much more tedious and it would affect new players far more than it would established players.

I also don’t think things players should be penalized for an aesthetic choice. Although scrolls had to be used initially to introduce genes and different breeds into the game and in many cases those scrolls cost genes or treasure to buy; the vast majority of dragons being exalted were bred with those genes and not scrolled to have them and they may be many many generations removed from the individual who the scrolls were used on so essentially they are aesthetic choices.

One of the best ways to 'fix the tanking dragon prices' is to encourage exalting (without increasing treasure payouts) as it removes excess dragons from the game. It’s already been shown that doing so improves prices as is evident by how prices rise during a dominance battle. Ways to do this include Fayd's Overhaul, an exalt shop or even rare drops that are exclusively received via exalting.

Another thing that could help is to increase the lair cap, although that should only be done when the servers can handle it. Increasing the cap would help with the demand issue, as it acts as a limiter, if you’ve reached the cap you can’t buy any more even if you wished. Ideally it be nice if the hard cap was completely removed and prices readjusted somewhat as that would allow players to expand as much as they want (and could afford) and by not having a limit expansions could continue to act as a treasure sink. I’d also like to see a way for players to pay into the expansions over time that way it helps people save their money as many players have trouble saving up to pay the higher expansion costs. If unlimited expansions wasn’t feasible for whatever reason, perhaps once the cap was reached, allow players to found colony lairs (perhaps even in other flights) and allow them to expand the colony lairs.

It's also possible to reduce the supply by voluntarily having players take dragons out of the breeding population by encouraging eternal youth dragons or adding a new optional life stage like 'elder' where breeding is disabled (or only possible via an item) but give a benefits such as increased stats or benefits in upcoming features for having the player choose to have a dragon become an elder. Another way to reduce the supply is by having new features that reset the cooldown so that there are options beyond breeding. (Yes you can coli and breed at the same time, but adding new things that require a cooldown means players will choose between breeding that dragon this time or using it in the new feature. If something like this was added, coli should not affect the cooldown.)

Generally it’s best to use positive encouragement to have an effect rather than have negatives such as fees or taking things away and changing them to that they are less likely which feel like punishment for playing the game.
I'm going to chime in with the side that would not like to see this. First of all dragons were never intended to be a major source of profit. It is quite possible to make a living breeding dragons, although this generally involves finding a niche and being good at marketing.

I personally don’t see increasing cooldown length doing much to help as the length of cooldown is not the limiting factor when it comes to breeding; it’s the number of nests a player has. I have went a year hatching a nest a day and never in that time did I run out of RTB dragons. A couple downfalls of increasing cooldowns is it will make breeding projects much more tedious and it would affect new players far more than it would established players.

I also don’t think things players should be penalized for an aesthetic choice. Although scrolls had to be used initially to introduce genes and different breeds into the game and in many cases those scrolls cost genes or treasure to buy; the vast majority of dragons being exalted were bred with those genes and not scrolled to have them and they may be many many generations removed from the individual who the scrolls were used on so essentially they are aesthetic choices.

One of the best ways to 'fix the tanking dragon prices' is to encourage exalting (without increasing treasure payouts) as it removes excess dragons from the game. It’s already been shown that doing so improves prices as is evident by how prices rise during a dominance battle. Ways to do this include Fayd's Overhaul, an exalt shop or even rare drops that are exclusively received via exalting.

Another thing that could help is to increase the lair cap, although that should only be done when the servers can handle it. Increasing the cap would help with the demand issue, as it acts as a limiter, if you’ve reached the cap you can’t buy any more even if you wished. Ideally it be nice if the hard cap was completely removed and prices readjusted somewhat as that would allow players to expand as much as they want (and could afford) and by not having a limit expansions could continue to act as a treasure sink. I’d also like to see a way for players to pay into the expansions over time that way it helps people save their money as many players have trouble saving up to pay the higher expansion costs. If unlimited expansions wasn’t feasible for whatever reason, perhaps once the cap was reached, allow players to found colony lairs (perhaps even in other flights) and allow them to expand the colony lairs.

It's also possible to reduce the supply by voluntarily having players take dragons out of the breeding population by encouraging eternal youth dragons or adding a new optional life stage like 'elder' where breeding is disabled (or only possible via an item) but give a benefits such as increased stats or benefits in upcoming features for having the player choose to have a dragon become an elder. Another way to reduce the supply is by having new features that reset the cooldown so that there are options beyond breeding. (Yes you can coli and breed at the same time, but adding new things that require a cooldown means players will choose between breeding that dragon this time or using it in the new feature. If something like this was added, coli should not affect the cooldown.)

Generally it’s best to use positive encouragement to have an effect rather than have negatives such as fees or taking things away and changing them to that they are less likely which feel like punishment for playing the game.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@Cynderbark

No support.

I agree with @FromBeyondtheRain , Cooldowns are pretty ridiculous as is. I think charging a breeding fee or having some sort of artificial limit other than by-gene would work better. I understand the market is flooded right now, but that's really the players' fault because they prefer to treat their dragons like cattle instead of pets or sentient characters. And if that's the case, it makes sense for there to be a market-based price for breeds considering all dragon meat tastes the same. :P I don't think it's fixable, honestly. I only breed like once every few months myself, but when I do breed I don't want it to take another few months to get the result I want.
@Cynderbark

No support.

I agree with @FromBeyondtheRain , Cooldowns are pretty ridiculous as is. I think charging a breeding fee or having some sort of artificial limit other than by-gene would work better. I understand the market is flooded right now, but that's really the players' fault because they prefer to treat their dragons like cattle instead of pets or sentient characters. And if that's the case, it makes sense for there to be a market-based price for breeds considering all dragon meat tastes the same. :P I don't think it's fixable, honestly. I only breed like once every few months myself, but when I do breed I don't want it to take another few months to get the result I want.
8bhaf5eaarfaex9zg.jpg
No.
No.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
No support.
No support.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
No support. Even though I find it an interesting idea, it would cause more problems then it would solve.

Reason I say this:

First off, dragons were meant (from what's already been stated before) to go down in price and be affordable. If anything, the economy is fine as is- and people enjoy getting beautiful dragons for cheap.

Secondly, a lot of people are already used to the cool-downs that we already have- and it would be a total pain to have even longer cool-downs due to genes- if not unfair. Not to mention it would have an impact on hatcheries, and whether or not that impact is big or small- it doesn't really matter because it'll still cause one.

Thirdly, a lot more people would complain about it- and that's where more issues will arise. Like I said before, it's not really fair for people to wait so long after breeding. Not to mention, dream dragons already take a while to get, let's be honest.

Lastly, it wouldn't fix anything. There would be just as many dragons on the site and in the AH. Why? Because you're still going to have the hatchlings and dragons whom are already in there still in there even if this were implemented. An' thas' about it.
No support. Even though I find it an interesting idea, it would cause more problems then it would solve.

Reason I say this:

First off, dragons were meant (from what's already been stated before) to go down in price and be affordable. If anything, the economy is fine as is- and people enjoy getting beautiful dragons for cheap.

Secondly, a lot of people are already used to the cool-downs that we already have- and it would be a total pain to have even longer cool-downs due to genes- if not unfair. Not to mention it would have an impact on hatcheries, and whether or not that impact is big or small- it doesn't really matter because it'll still cause one.

Thirdly, a lot more people would complain about it- and that's where more issues will arise. Like I said before, it's not really fair for people to wait so long after breeding. Not to mention, dream dragons already take a while to get, let's be honest.

Lastly, it wouldn't fix anything. There would be just as many dragons on the site and in the AH. Why? Because you're still going to have the hatchlings and dragons whom are already in there still in there even if this were implemented. An' thas' about it.
iceb2_by_ovophobia-d9cq66h.png
I'm chiming in with a no support as well.

The whole purpose of this site is to breed dragons. If I'd come here as a newbie and realized that I needed to wait a few months to breed those pretty dragons that I'd gotten, then I'd get bored and jump ship very quickly.

Again, we need to encourage exalting, not restrict breeding.
I'm chiming in with a no support as well.

The whole purpose of this site is to breed dragons. If I'd come here as a newbie and realized that I needed to wait a few months to breed those pretty dragons that I'd gotten, then I'd get bored and jump ship very quickly.

Again, we need to encourage exalting, not restrict breeding.
No support, reasons:
  • Only delays the decay of valuability, does not halt it.
  • Too late to implement it. Should have been from the start.
  • Makes Gem-Only scrolls Pay-to-Win because those genes will be, due to the artificial delay in breeding, harder to get without gems and if applied at the right moment (a few days of Breeding Cooldown) amplifies the effect.
No support, reasons:
  • Only delays the decay of valuability, does not halt it.
  • Too late to implement it. Should have been from the start.
  • Makes Gem-Only scrolls Pay-to-Win because those genes will be, due to the artificial delay in breeding, harder to get without gems and if applied at the right moment (a few days of Breeding Cooldown) amplifies the effect.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
No support for a really base reason. I don't want the game to inherently suggest that gem genes are worth 'more' on a dragon than treasure genes or really even worth more than basic. People already tend to believe that automatically and the game doesn't need to reinforce that. All of the genes work well with different colors and giving each gene an arbitrary worth to be the 'floor price' for selling is just silly to me. Crystal isn't inherently worth more than Tiger, and I'd take basic Obsidian over Facet Obsidian any day. I'd rather the market be based on how the overall dragon looks than based on the rarity of its genes.
No support for a really base reason. I don't want the game to inherently suggest that gem genes are worth 'more' on a dragon than treasure genes or really even worth more than basic. People already tend to believe that automatically and the game doesn't need to reinforce that. All of the genes work well with different colors and giving each gene an arbitrary worth to be the 'floor price' for selling is just silly to me. Crystal isn't inherently worth more than Tiger, and I'd take basic Obsidian over Facet Obsidian any day. I'd rather the market be based on how the overall dragon looks than based on the rarity of its genes.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
No support
Not only do I think the breeding times are long enough already, but I think it will only make triple gened dragons less interesting to breed.
If I have to choose between breeding a plentifull with triple basic to use as fodder (15 days) and a triple gened one (45 days) who do you think I will breed?

My pairs are pairs that appeal to me. Because I like their colors and I am not buying my own dragons. Hence I end up exhalting most of them.
No support
Not only do I think the breeding times are long enough already, but I think it will only make triple gened dragons less interesting to breed.
If I have to choose between breeding a plentifull with triple basic to use as fodder (15 days) and a triple gened one (45 days) who do you think I will breed?

My pairs are pairs that appeal to me. Because I like their colors and I am not buying my own dragons. Hence I end up exhalting most of them.
pontails_v2_0_by_viporion-d64jr46.gif
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Not even Jupiter can take back a lost oppertunity
1 2 3 4