Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Competitive Pokemon Players?
1 2
@thanksmeg amazing. I used her along with my blaziken and my greninja and thats my dream team for tourneys : D Sylveon tho I drew her a while back!! [img]http://orig08.deviantart.net/7e61/f/2015/010/1/3/untitled_drawing_by_blahey123-d8dccow.png[/img]
@thanksmeg amazing. I used her along with my blaziken and my greninja and thats my dream team for tourneys : D

Sylveon tho I drew her a while back!!
untitled_drawing_by_blahey123-d8dccow.png
unknown.png
I've had some experience with the competitive scene, and here's my take!

Battle those competitive metagame players. Battle them a LOT. You will lose pretty much all the time at first, but you'll learn so much! It's one of those things that really hard to get the hang of and understand until you actually do it yourself, so the absolute best way to learn is to just throw yourself in. It's not like anything bad happens if you lose, but every battle you'll see a cool new strategy or build or play style!

But at the same time don't lose track of the fun! My favorite type is grass and they're literally the worst competitive type in the game, but I've slowly bred and refined a grass team that's actually pretty challenging and it's really rewarding! Don't let all the garbage on Smogon make you feel like you can't still play with your favorites, you just have to be really smart about making them as good as they can be! You got get out there and rep your babies, especially if no one else will! Strike fear into their hearts with Whimsicott. xD

As a good starter, google up some basic competitive team builds (weather teams, setup sweepers, etc) then pick Pokemon you think would be a good fit and start breeding! I usually try to design a build myself by looking it up on Bulbapedia or going off inspiration from a recent battle or something, and THEN I go look up the Pokemon on Smogon and see if there's a popular gimmick or caveat that I overlooked and adjust the build.

TL;DR, I know I'm rambling a bit, but as someone who's recently gotten into competitive play but also still plays like a wide-eyed eight year old, I highly recommend giving it a try! You can find great guides online and it's a whole new fun way to play! Just don't let the over-competitive jerks get you down!
I've had some experience with the competitive scene, and here's my take!

Battle those competitive metagame players. Battle them a LOT. You will lose pretty much all the time at first, but you'll learn so much! It's one of those things that really hard to get the hang of and understand until you actually do it yourself, so the absolute best way to learn is to just throw yourself in. It's not like anything bad happens if you lose, but every battle you'll see a cool new strategy or build or play style!

But at the same time don't lose track of the fun! My favorite type is grass and they're literally the worst competitive type in the game, but I've slowly bred and refined a grass team that's actually pretty challenging and it's really rewarding! Don't let all the garbage on Smogon make you feel like you can't still play with your favorites, you just have to be really smart about making them as good as they can be! You got get out there and rep your babies, especially if no one else will! Strike fear into their hearts with Whimsicott. xD

As a good starter, google up some basic competitive team builds (weather teams, setup sweepers, etc) then pick Pokemon you think would be a good fit and start breeding! I usually try to design a build myself by looking it up on Bulbapedia or going off inspiration from a recent battle or something, and THEN I go look up the Pokemon on Smogon and see if there's a popular gimmick or caveat that I overlooked and adjust the build.

TL;DR, I know I'm rambling a bit, but as someone who's recently gotten into competitive play but also still plays like a wide-eyed eight year old, I highly recommend giving it a try! You can find great guides online and it's a whole new fun way to play! Just don't let the over-competitive jerks get you down!
star_icon.pngDeviantArtstar_icon.pngTumblrstar_icon.pngArt Blogstar_icon.png
blackstatic on showdown
u wanna go m8
1v1 my ratatta
come at me bro

<3

I don't pay much attention to meta because smogon throws things out the window all the damn time, but I do try to build my teams off one or two OUs and a well rounded UU support. Understandably a lot of what I've got is trial and error, as my weakness/resistance knowledge isn't great, but I favour Fighting, Flying and Dragon types with a lot of speed-based physical damage.

Here's the start to a team I'm currently waiting to test out:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Crunch

May swap Arcanine for Talonflame because I'm not sure wether I want something else as my tank instead.
blackstatic on showdown
u wanna go m8
1v1 my ratatta
come at me bro

<3

I don't pay much attention to meta because smogon throws things out the window all the damn time, but I do try to build my teams off one or two OUs and a well rounded UU support. Understandably a lot of what I've got is trial and error, as my weakness/resistance knowledge isn't great, but I favour Fighting, Flying and Dragon types with a lot of speed-based physical damage.

Here's the start to a team I'm currently waiting to test out:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Crunch

May swap Arcanine for Talonflame because I'm not sure wether I want something else as my tank instead.
Bb9XFYa.png
xrdZoYH.png
pZJYyk4.png
sbmtjDC.png
kncGB4g.gif
suFrgfl.png
l8NOdbs.png
ZwbGqUa.png
ElKYM7J.png
Y7MOfeL.png
GdVZ87H.png
SZfmfRv.png
@BlackStatic OKAY BUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO DO USE LEVEL 1 RATATTA WITH THE F.E.A.R. TACTIC
But bless u because I love seeing not overused teams cause it's the same 30 pokemon all the time

@stishovite I need to actuall stop doing randomized battles on showdown and actually make a team HAHAHAHA

I had an all fairy team once and it was p cool but I lost the file for it
@BlackStatic OKAY BUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO DO USE LEVEL 1 RATATTA WITH THE F.E.A.R. TACTIC
But bless u because I love seeing not overused teams cause it's the same 30 pokemon all the time

@stishovite I need to actuall stop doing randomized battles on showdown and actually make a team HAHAHAHA

I had an all fairy team once and it was p cool but I lost the file for it
i breed competitive shiny pokemon ;p
though i haven't done it in a while unfortunately :c
i breed competitive shiny pokemon ;p
though i haven't done it in a while unfortunately :c
I haven't really played competitively since B/W, though I have bred quite a few competitive (some shiny) pokemon in X/Y. I try to run UU or lower because I find OU and Ubers so so boring. D': Kinda want to get into it again but like someone else said, it's such a time sucker, and I have other things I'd rather be doing than running back and forth hatching eggs!
I haven't really played competitively since B/W, though I have bred quite a few competitive (some shiny) pokemon in X/Y. I try to run UU or lower because I find OU and Ubers so so boring. D': Kinda want to get into it again but like someone else said, it's such a time sucker, and I have other things I'd rather be doing than running back and forth hatching eggs!
copy my UN when pinging me cuz it's hard to spell
I don't battle too often but I know how to build teams and put together things people would never think of. At least I think so.. People question the sets I run sometimes on the rare occasion I do battle.

I swear I coined Weakness Policy on Drifblim a few months back. Never saw it used and then after a tournament I played in (ended up in the looser's bracket and lost my first match to a stupid Crustle..) and now I see it everywhere!

Though I do shiny hunt! I'm currently working on a shiny, living Dex. Last I counted I think I'm 245/721 of the current Pokes~
I don't battle too often but I know how to build teams and put together things people would never think of. At least I think so.. People question the sets I run sometimes on the rare occasion I do battle.

I swear I coined Weakness Policy on Drifblim a few months back. Never saw it used and then after a tournament I played in (ended up in the looser's bracket and lost my first match to a stupid Crustle..) and now I see it everywhere!

Though I do shiny hunt! I'm currently working on a shiny, living Dex. Last I counted I think I'm 245/721 of the current Pokes~
5e8g9l.jpgnq5vtl.jpgw2es2e.jpg2mxu38.jpg4vg3zs.jpg642lw7.jpg
aaayyy, competitive player since gen 3 here. B) i still do it today. i love it to bits, and i have a good chunk of experience behind me.
as of late, i've been unhappy with the current smogon meta and i've strayed from it, and settled into vgc for the time being. i'll still play by smogon rules, but some of their bans as of late have been questionable tome.
if you need any help or have any questions just let me know also! i'm always willing to help people out, since it can be complicated.
aaayyy, competitive player since gen 3 here. B) i still do it today. i love it to bits, and i have a good chunk of experience behind me.
as of late, i've been unhappy with the current smogon meta and i've strayed from it, and settled into vgc for the time being. i'll still play by smogon rules, but some of their bans as of late have been questionable tome.
if you need any help or have any questions just let me know also! i'm always willing to help people out, since it can be complicated.
Tarnished Cerdae Necklace she/they
fr+1
1 2