Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Other People With Misophonia?
1 2 3 4 5
I think this is something I have but never formally checked, so I spent as much of my school time as I could with headphones in to deal with the sound triggers (probably not the best idea in the long run, but I hated dealing with it all).
There was one class with a soft spoken teacher though, so I had to have the volume down in her class. Annoyingly enough, that was also the one class where my desk faced the rest of the room too, so it was pretty hard to try and ignore visual triggers from others, and it had one girl with three different pens she would constantly fiddle with. Why she needed three I'll never know, but it was incredibly hard to concentrate on the teacher, and I'm really glad I'm not there anymore. >_>
It's always hard for me to try and tell people about it too, it just sounds a little silly in the end unless you actually have it. Doesn't help that I don't think many people know about Misophonia.
I think this is something I have but never formally checked, so I spent as much of my school time as I could with headphones in to deal with the sound triggers (probably not the best idea in the long run, but I hated dealing with it all).
There was one class with a soft spoken teacher though, so I had to have the volume down in her class. Annoyingly enough, that was also the one class where my desk faced the rest of the room too, so it was pretty hard to try and ignore visual triggers from others, and it had one girl with three different pens she would constantly fiddle with. Why she needed three I'll never know, but it was incredibly hard to concentrate on the teacher, and I'm really glad I'm not there anymore. >_>
It's always hard for me to try and tell people about it too, it just sounds a little silly in the end unless you actually have it. Doesn't help that I don't think many people know about Misophonia.
*19hours ahead of FR time*
whispering and humming gets me really bad
whispering and humming gets me really bad
@Paradoxmagic
I knew it was a problem, I just thought I was crazy >.> The thing was actually on autism, but misophonia was mentioned for some reason. It's a super cool program, though.

@Ferotton
I don't think scientists know what causes it, but none of my family show any signs of having misophonia.
@Paradoxmagic
I knew it was a problem, I just thought I was crazy >.> The thing was actually on autism, but misophonia was mentioned for some reason. It's a super cool program, though.

@Ferotton
I don't think scientists know what causes it, but none of my family show any signs of having misophonia.
XHxgasI.gif
@InfectiousPants

Yep that sounds like misophonia! I hate how irrational it makes you. But as long as you don't actually jump out of a window or smack someone, you'll be fine!

@DFDragoness

Yeah the publicity has always been a big problem, in my opinion. People think you're just being an over sensitive jerk. They don't realize that it's an actual mental condition! That's why it's so hard to talk to others about it, I think. They never quite believe you. And headphones are a good strategy, though as you've found out, it doesn't always work. In those situations, I try to make some noise on my own, or mimic what is triggering me. It can help sometimes!

@Cheeseboytyrell

Not fun! :( I can't stand people singing along to the radio. It's kind of a weird one, compared to my other triggers, but it is what it is.

@TheFlyingCat

I think misophonia can often be a "package deal," and be paired with other stuff. I've suffered from depression and anxiety on top of misophonia. (And I do have mild synesthesia, which can sometimes be linked to misophonia actually). As long as people can get the word out about it, I think it's fine!
@InfectiousPants

Yep that sounds like misophonia! I hate how irrational it makes you. But as long as you don't actually jump out of a window or smack someone, you'll be fine!

@DFDragoness

Yeah the publicity has always been a big problem, in my opinion. People think you're just being an over sensitive jerk. They don't realize that it's an actual mental condition! That's why it's so hard to talk to others about it, I think. They never quite believe you. And headphones are a good strategy, though as you've found out, it doesn't always work. In those situations, I try to make some noise on my own, or mimic what is triggering me. It can help sometimes!

@Cheeseboytyrell

Not fun! :( I can't stand people singing along to the radio. It's kind of a weird one, compared to my other triggers, but it is what it is.

@TheFlyingCat

I think misophonia can often be a "package deal," and be paired with other stuff. I've suffered from depression and anxiety on top of misophonia. (And I do have mild synesthesia, which can sometimes be linked to misophonia actually). As long as people can get the word out about it, I think it's fine!
y0r4chX.gif
@Paradoxmagic
lmao, I'll do what I can.

It's a shame that I can only trust a few people with this knowledge. Aside from the typical "don't believe you" reactions I would expect, I've heard a lot of people with misophonia saying that when they explain it to people, people respond by intentionally triggering them. D:
And I don't think I could keep it cool if someone did that. Not even as a response to the noise, but as a response to their being an awful person.
@Paradoxmagic
lmao, I'll do what I can.

It's a shame that I can only trust a few people with this knowledge. Aside from the typical "don't believe you" reactions I would expect, I've heard a lot of people with misophonia saying that when they explain it to people, people respond by intentionally triggering them. D:
And I don't think I could keep it cool if someone did that. Not even as a response to the noise, but as a response to their being an awful person.
sl1ij5o.pngDHyp0Qb.png krGXgY3.png9RjlOli.png9IQ25Kh.png
@infectiouspants

And that's why I can never bring it up to people in class! Because I know a lot of those people are jerks and would intentionally chew gum in my face. :/
One of my closest friends knows, and while she wouldn't do anything intentionally, I feel so bad whenever she starts triggering me. And I'm so non-confrontational that I never remind her about my triggers. I just sit and suffer mostly.
@infectiouspants

And that's why I can never bring it up to people in class! Because I know a lot of those people are jerks and would intentionally chew gum in my face. :/
One of my closest friends knows, and while she wouldn't do anything intentionally, I feel so bad whenever she starts triggering me. And I'm so non-confrontational that I never remind her about my triggers. I just sit and suffer mostly.
y0r4chX.gif
@Paradoxmagic
Yeah, that's the most common reaction I've got so far, though I'm terrible at explaining at anyway. X3 I did have one teacher who seemed to know what it was, or at least took it seriously when I brought it up, and she helped me deal with it for the end of year exams, thankfully.
Another problem with headphones is that it might make it worse when I don't have them as I'd gotten use to having them to block out triggers rather than dealing with them. And then there are the wonderful people who decide to test you and purposely try and trigger it, like a couple of people I knew did.
Such fun~
@Paradoxmagic
Yeah, that's the most common reaction I've got so far, though I'm terrible at explaining at anyway. X3 I did have one teacher who seemed to know what it was, or at least took it seriously when I brought it up, and she helped me deal with it for the end of year exams, thankfully.
Another problem with headphones is that it might make it worse when I don't have them as I'd gotten use to having them to block out triggers rather than dealing with them. And then there are the wonderful people who decide to test you and purposely try and trigger it, like a couple of people I knew did.
Such fun~
*19hours ahead of FR time*
Oh man. Yeah. I don't have panic attacks, but I get so frustrated and upset that I want to slam doors to block out the noises and I want to throw/hit things? It's awful. Whistling really bothers me. Repetitive sounds bother me (tapping, constant coughing/sniffling, etc)
Oh man. Yeah. I don't have panic attacks, but I get so frustrated and upset that I want to slam doors to block out the noises and I want to throw/hit things? It's awful. Whistling really bothers me. Repetitive sounds bother me (tapping, constant coughing/sniffling, etc)
tumblr_n7rzu5QTOk1tf36f3o1_400.png tumblr
MlmX2Dr.png
@silverstreams Isn't that what you got?
@silverstreams Isn't that what you got?
tumblr_ozc9mxtgb51udi2fqo2_r1_500.png

Art by draconoblade
So... I think I have this? I think I've had this my entire life and I had no clue. I get so panicky and irritable and just plain mad when hearing repetitive sounds, or certain sounds in general. Like, it's past the point of a simple annoyance. I always thought I just had really, really sensitive hearing, and that was it, but after finding this, I sincerely think I have this disorder. o.o I'm a nurse and had no earthly idea about this disorder. o.o' I feel like a failure! XD

Thanks for shining a light on my suffering. XD That sounds awful, but I mean it in the best way possible.
So... I think I have this? I think I've had this my entire life and I had no clue. I get so panicky and irritable and just plain mad when hearing repetitive sounds, or certain sounds in general. Like, it's past the point of a simple annoyance. I always thought I just had really, really sensitive hearing, and that was it, but after finding this, I sincerely think I have this disorder. o.o I'm a nurse and had no earthly idea about this disorder. o.o' I feel like a failure! XD

Thanks for shining a light on my suffering. XD That sounds awful, but I mean it in the best way possible.
lightshieldl.png

chelsea
she | her
+2 FR

...and we came forth to behold the stars.
je67dzK.gif
1 2 3 4 5