Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Other People With Misophonia?
1 2 3 4 5
My partner @Etrieys has it too, and looking at the thread I see you're definitely not alone! One thing Etrieys often does is listen to music with head/earphones in, it blocks out the sound and music is also calming for him. Maybe you could explain to your teachers what's going on, and see if you could quietly listen to music during class to help you concentrate and block out the other sounds?

Edit: Actually what @PYR4LSP1T3 described is exactly how my partner is. Interesting how autism seems to be related to so many other conditions.
My partner @Etrieys has it too, and looking at the thread I see you're definitely not alone! One thing Etrieys often does is listen to music with head/earphones in, it blocks out the sound and music is also calming for him. Maybe you could explain to your teachers what's going on, and see if you could quietly listen to music during class to help you concentrate and block out the other sounds?

Edit: Actually what @PYR4LSP1T3 described is exactly how my partner is. Interesting how autism seems to be related to so many other conditions.
Flamecaller-embersbanner-sm.gif tumblr_ntp809tUrM1ueyht5o1_100.png
Mmm I can tolerate most sounds but in general sounds that trigger me are generally loud and obnoxious, like what you hear in a busy cafeteria. Plus those situations tend to be stressful even without the noise so nothing is fun that way.

And did I mention yelling/screaming? Those will get me to have a panic attack in a minute or less, no exceptions.
Mmm I can tolerate most sounds but in general sounds that trigger me are generally loud and obnoxious, like what you hear in a busy cafeteria. Plus those situations tend to be stressful even without the noise so nothing is fun that way.

And did I mention yelling/screaming? Those will get me to have a panic attack in a minute or less, no exceptions.
hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
I really needed this thread right now qoq It's really reassuring to see other people with similar experiences.
I had a bad experience today with being mocked by people close to me for being so quote "picky"

My trigger sound is singing/humming/tapping, and I often find it hard to explain to my friends what the triggering elements of these sounds are (especially since it's not just music in general.) I always feel embarrassed and confused trying to explain when and why I get set off.

At the very least it's reassuring to see a bunch of others who feel similar
I really needed this thread right now qoq It's really reassuring to see other people with similar experiences.
I had a bad experience today with being mocked by people close to me for being so quote "picky"

My trigger sound is singing/humming/tapping, and I often find it hard to explain to my friends what the triggering elements of these sounds are (especially since it's not just music in general.) I always feel embarrassed and confused trying to explain when and why I get set off.

At the very least it's reassuring to see a bunch of others who feel similar
Starfish Glow Star Fallen Star Morning Star Starfish
@Paradoxmagic I kinda understand; I despise the sound of chewing. Usually I can deal with it, just... get a little short or twitchy, but sometimes I have to leave the room when people are eating.

With Mum I ask if she can eat in another room when it's really bad, and she understands. Dad told me that "in real life you can't do that" when I asked him the same, so I leave the room.

The sound of chewing grates at me like nails scraping on a chalkboard and just uGH.

Usually when I have bad anxiety it's so much worse and I can't retreat into myself without headphones and can't wear those at work and...

god and my dad breathes SO LOUDLY ALL THE TIME IT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL

I'm so sorry you had a rough day!
@Paradoxmagic I kinda understand; I despise the sound of chewing. Usually I can deal with it, just... get a little short or twitchy, but sometimes I have to leave the room when people are eating.

With Mum I ask if she can eat in another room when it's really bad, and she understands. Dad told me that "in real life you can't do that" when I asked him the same, so I leave the room.

The sound of chewing grates at me like nails scraping on a chalkboard and just uGH.

Usually when I have bad anxiety it's so much worse and I can't retreat into myself without headphones and can't wear those at work and...

god and my dad breathes SO LOUDLY ALL THE TIME IT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL

I'm so sorry you had a rough day!
33y2ic9.jpg
@Paradoxmagic
Oh I completely know how that feels. I've almost torn a chunk of my hair out over certain noises. It's usually chewing, snoring and breathing. If someone is bunking with me in my room and they snore a bunch, I cannot sleep without putting five pillows over my head! As much as I tell myself it's just a little sound, I can't control how angry it makes me.

I feel bad for you and others that have it too. :(
@Paradoxmagic
Oh I completely know how that feels. I've almost torn a chunk of my hair out over certain noises. It's usually chewing, snoring and breathing. If someone is bunking with me in my room and they snore a bunch, I cannot sleep without putting five pillows over my head! As much as I tell myself it's just a little sound, I can't control how angry it makes me.

I feel bad for you and others that have it too. :(
DbPd1nP.png
Oh I have a friend that is like that; for me though I'm not really sure that I like... I mean I guess I do. The sound of someone chewing with their mouth open drives me insane and I get really angry and it ruins my whole day. But that was just at high school and when I lived with family, away from that now. Anything that bothers me or is a pet peeve just makes me really irrationally angry.
Oh I have a friend that is like that; for me though I'm not really sure that I like... I mean I guess I do. The sound of someone chewing with their mouth open drives me insane and I get really angry and it ruins my whole day. But that was just at high school and when I lived with family, away from that now. Anything that bothers me or is a pet peeve just makes me really irrationally angry.
tumblr_om7wmtaZKm1w2diclo1_100.pngAvyQk6b.png

Female ~ US ~ Water Flight. My name is Adam, and I proudly take care of my Steel Crest Clan! I love WoW, snakes, Sailor Moon and Pokemon~ Feel free to hit me up for trading, dragon breeding, or even just a chat. Roleplay friendly! Please pingaling me~

i ' m w i s h i n g f o r -- Crimson Leg Silks!
Adding more because I've been experiencing this even more often than usual, animals are really bad for triggering it in me. My grandmother's (four) cats and dog probably think I'm some kind of psycho, I keep yelling at them when they're sat licking themselves or chewing their toes (when she's not around of course).
Unfortunately they're not as bright as my dog, and haven't yet worked out that when I yell at them they need to gtfo. So I have to forcibly remove them from the room before I lose control and genuinely hurt them. :I

@Adamemnon's dog was really bad for it as well, and his mum used to let him sit and lick her for ages and it made me feel like punching a wall. xD;

The music thing is a good idea though, I normally hum when I feel sick so I guess I could try humming when I can't avoid noises which make me rage.
I wonder if anyone would ever make the connection between pet licking and me humming, and think I was being really damn odd. P:

Have many people tried telling other people about it irl? What's the general reaction..?
The ones I've read on here so far seem pretty mixed.
Adding more because I've been experiencing this even more often than usual, animals are really bad for triggering it in me. My grandmother's (four) cats and dog probably think I'm some kind of psycho, I keep yelling at them when they're sat licking themselves or chewing their toes (when she's not around of course).
Unfortunately they're not as bright as my dog, and haven't yet worked out that when I yell at them they need to gtfo. So I have to forcibly remove them from the room before I lose control and genuinely hurt them. :I

@Adamemnon's dog was really bad for it as well, and his mum used to let him sit and lick her for ages and it made me feel like punching a wall. xD;

The music thing is a good idea though, I normally hum when I feel sick so I guess I could try humming when I can't avoid noises which make me rage.
I wonder if anyone would ever make the connection between pet licking and me humming, and think I was being really damn odd. P:

Have many people tried telling other people about it irl? What's the general reaction..?
The ones I've read on here so far seem pretty mixed.
msc80h.png
Oh, misophonia is a real problem. My little brother is always eating with strange noises. It's horrible. I can learn how to live and keep calm with some voices, but with this I cannot. When someone is eating really loud... Animals, writing, forest's voice or cars nad trains aren't together as bad as just one person with food or drink. I can even read in crowd or in school on break, but I just want to eat alone because of this noise...
Oh, misophonia is a real problem. My little brother is always eating with strange noises. It's horrible. I can learn how to live and keep calm with some voices, but with this I cannot. When someone is eating really loud... Animals, writing, forest's voice or cars nad trains aren't together as bad as just one person with food or drink. I can even read in crowd or in school on break, but I just want to eat alone because of this noise...
Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.
2.jpg
Misophonia is hell no matter what. And many of my triggers have gotten particularly more severe over time due to my family giving me no support whatsoever in trying to train myself to lessen the response to the triggers.

My more major triggers include repetitive tapping (and the motions associated with it), snoring, whistling, sniffling, and scratching at various fabrics. Eating noises are a more minor trigger for me. But whistling, dear god whistling is the worse. I literally had to leave a store because one of the workers would not stop whistling, even though I needed something from that store.
Misophonia is hell no matter what. And many of my triggers have gotten particularly more severe over time due to my family giving me no support whatsoever in trying to train myself to lessen the response to the triggers.

My more major triggers include repetitive tapping (and the motions associated with it), snoring, whistling, sniffling, and scratching at various fabrics. Eating noises are a more minor trigger for me. But whistling, dear god whistling is the worse. I literally had to leave a store because one of the workers would not stop whistling, even though I needed something from that store.
rlfh5f.jpg
Chewing sounds **** me off, so does loud dialogue from the tv, but except mild frowning there is nothing I should do about it, after distracting me for 2 to 10 or so annoying minutes the noises phase out
Chewing sounds **** me off, so does loud dialogue from the tv, but except mild frowning there is nothing I should do about it, after distracting me for 2 to 10 or so annoying minutes the noises phase out
1 2 3 4 5