Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any dragons with disabilities?
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15
@revivaloflogic
No (because not a lot of people know I have it), but I have seen people use it as an insult and it pisses me off so bad.
@revivaloflogic
No (because not a lot of people know I have it), but I have seen people use it as an insult and it pisses me off so bad.
ePOliyb.png
MUYNhfy.png
L74Jfbv.png
im silas BWi9PQR.gif WKtl2lb.png
nWiQNX9.png
@ Lesley I'm glad you have a supportive sister :)
@GenociderSyo Shame on them. A disability is not an insult.
@ Lesley I'm glad you have a supportive sister :)
@GenociderSyo Shame on them. A disability is not an insult.
No one should be made fun of or made to feel ashamed of their disabilities. Just because we're different doesn't mean we're bad. I'm glad to find so many awesome people here supporting each other!

I have hereditary depression and anxiety issues, I'm borderline agoraphobic and have a mild case of OCD (only in regards to my food and where my belongings go).

I have been diagnosed with dyscalculia (No one believed it was a thing I had until I got tested, the teachers all just thought I was being lazy! I'm glad to see others that have it, not that it's a good thing but that I'm not alone, lol).

I was born with jaundice and my right hip socket hadn't formed so I had to wear a brace for the first year of my life and be under a sun lamp for months and now have issues walking for long periods.

I also have a slight case of photic sneeze reflex (also known as photoptarmosis, or sun sneezing), which means if I'm in a bright light after being in dim areas I sneeze uncontrollably for a few seconds.
No one should be made fun of or made to feel ashamed of their disabilities. Just because we're different doesn't mean we're bad. I'm glad to find so many awesome people here supporting each other!

I have hereditary depression and anxiety issues, I'm borderline agoraphobic and have a mild case of OCD (only in regards to my food and where my belongings go).

I have been diagnosed with dyscalculia (No one believed it was a thing I had until I got tested, the teachers all just thought I was being lazy! I'm glad to see others that have it, not that it's a good thing but that I'm not alone, lol).

I was born with jaundice and my right hip socket hadn't formed so I had to wear a brace for the first year of my life and be under a sun lamp for months and now have issues walking for long periods.

I also have a slight case of photic sneeze reflex (also known as photoptarmosis, or sun sneezing), which means if I'm in a bright light after being in dim areas I sneeze uncontrollably for a few seconds.
My Art Shop (CLOSED for now)
@Shara I've had the exact same problem with my teachers and my dyscalculia. They thought I was just taking dyslexia and making up a new word, which to be fair I did a lot as a kid, but I've had to work pretty hard to make up for the difficulty I have. My biggest problem is looking at large groups of numbers at the same time, it just confuses me and gives me a headache. I also tend to mix up numbers in longer problems fairly often.
@Shara I've had the exact same problem with my teachers and my dyscalculia. They thought I was just taking dyslexia and making up a new word, which to be fair I did a lot as a kid, but I've had to work pretty hard to make up for the difficulty I have. My biggest problem is looking at large groups of numbers at the same time, it just confuses me and gives me a headache. I also tend to mix up numbers in longer problems fairly often.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@Lesley - From second grade to freshman in high school I was called lazy and berated daily by my math teachers, even a couple tutors said I just wasn't trying and wanted the attention "being lazy" got me. My parents had me tested though and once they got the diagnosis it helped a bit, I got a better tutor that had experience with kids like me and while I still have a ton of trouble with math (especially times tables, division and any long problems) I don't feel like such a freak for it, especially since I found out it's a fairly common thing, just that not many people know the name for it. So I totally feel your pain from being in the same boat.
@Lesley - From second grade to freshman in high school I was called lazy and berated daily by my math teachers, even a couple tutors said I just wasn't trying and wanted the attention "being lazy" got me. My parents had me tested though and once they got the diagnosis it helped a bit, I got a better tutor that had experience with kids like me and while I still have a ton of trouble with math (especially times tables, division and any long problems) I don't feel like such a freak for it, especially since I found out it's a fairly common thing, just that not many people know the name for it. So I totally feel your pain from being in the same boat.
My Art Shop (CLOSED for now)
I wonder if I have dyscalculia or if I just plain suck at math. I look at an algebra problem and my brain goes 'GFGAZMPFFRGTHJK!!!' and smoke starts coming out my ears.

Damn you, NCLB, you made me suck at math!
I wonder if I have dyscalculia or if I just plain suck at math. I look at an algebra problem and my brain goes 'GFGAZMPFFRGTHJK!!!' and smoke starts coming out my ears.

Damn you, NCLB, you made me suck at math!
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
@Shara Nobody should ever be called a freak, or think of themselves as one. I think everyone's got some kind of kryptonite, even they're afraid to admit it.

@Casandraelf Can totally relate to the image of steam coming out of the ears! Surprisingly algebra isn't the area I have the most problems in, although it really depends on how clearly the process is explained to me.
@Shara Nobody should ever be called a freak, or think of themselves as one. I think everyone's got some kind of kryptonite, even they're afraid to admit it.

@Casandraelf Can totally relate to the image of steam coming out of the ears! Surprisingly algebra isn't the area I have the most problems in, although it really depends on how clearly the process is explained to me.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
Not to butt into the math talk, but I almost failed Trig my junior year because I literally COULD NOT memorize the stupid circle. And I've always loathed math.
Not to butt into the math talk, but I almost failed Trig my junior year because I literally COULD NOT memorize the stupid circle. And I've always loathed math.
ePOliyb.png
MUYNhfy.png
L74Jfbv.png
im silas BWi9PQR.gif WKtl2lb.png
nWiQNX9.png
I was diagnosed with ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia (glad to see some others here with it!), short-term memory problems, and slow to process issues when I was 8. I'm glad I know I have those problems because it explains a lot but it didn't help me much because I had ridiculously bad luck with schools. By the time I graduated from high school I had been to 7 different schools. Couldn't seem to find a place that understood me and I had to learn to deal with being called stupid and lazy and irresponsible constantly despite getting straight A's all through school. College has been amazing but I'm taking a break to recuperate from all the crap I had to go through in school when I was younger. It was so bad it caused me to develop depression and anxiety and I had to start taking medication for it. Yay!

But I'm a lot better now and doing fun things with my time like riding horses and getting back into writing like it's a full time job. And spending way too much time here on FR. :P You guys are awesome!
I was diagnosed with ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia (glad to see some others here with it!), short-term memory problems, and slow to process issues when I was 8. I'm glad I know I have those problems because it explains a lot but it didn't help me much because I had ridiculously bad luck with schools. By the time I graduated from high school I had been to 7 different schools. Couldn't seem to find a place that understood me and I had to learn to deal with being called stupid and lazy and irresponsible constantly despite getting straight A's all through school. College has been amazing but I'm taking a break to recuperate from all the crap I had to go through in school when I was younger. It was so bad it caused me to develop depression and anxiety and I had to start taking medication for it. Yay!

But I'm a lot better now and doing fun things with my time like riding horses and getting back into writing like it's a full time job. And spending way too much time here on FR. :P You guys are awesome!
@Daftedly I want a job, but nobody's hiring. ;^; I also need to get some serious writing done.
@Daftedly I want a job, but nobody's hiring. ;^; I also need to get some serious writing done.
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 15