Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I like Rolly Pollies or Pillbugs etc
1 2
That's it. I love them and they're cute and little beans. I'm sad right now so I'm looking at pictures of them to cheer me up. I like them very much. [center][img]https://a-z-animals.com/media/2021/12/shutterstock_1785602546.jpg[/img][/center]
That's it. I love them and they're cute and little beans. I'm sad right now so I'm looking at pictures of them to cheer me up. I like them very much.
shutterstock_1785602546.jpg
cDDSaqc.png
I LOVE THEM too!! It was a complete joy as a child to find one of them, and still as an adult I am always happy when I see them! As a kid I used to try and see how many different color morphs I could find in a small population of them under a rock or something before returning them after looking at them hehe. I loved when I found ones that were part dark gray and part light gray, or the ones with little green speckles. C: I hope you feel better soon!! </3 Here is a picture I found online with the little speckles. (Not my image) [img]https://i.postimg.cc/x10MDMr7/roly-poly.png[/img]
I LOVE THEM too!! It was a complete joy as a child to find one of them, and still as an adult I am always happy when I see them! As a kid I used to try and see how many different color morphs I could find in a small population of them under a rock or something before returning them after looking at them hehe. I loved when I found ones that were part dark gray and part light gray, or the ones with little green speckles. C:

I hope you feel better soon!! </3 Here is a picture I found online with the little speckles. (Not my image)

roly-poly.png

a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

I remember how as a young kid, when I picked them up, they would tickle my wrists/fingers when they crawled up :) No joke, there's this little water way(?) near my house and it's absolutely filled with rollie pollies, but anyways here's a pollie for your troubles <3 [img]https://themarkhorton.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019_01_27-3-web-800x533.jpg[/img] (How do you spell rolly pollies? Is it rollie pollie orr??)
I remember how as a young kid, when I picked them up, they would tickle my wrists/fingers when they crawled up :)

No joke, there's this little water way(?) near my house and it's absolutely filled with rollie pollies, but anyways here's a pollie for your troubles <3
2019_01_27-3-web-800x533.jpg

(How do you spell rolly pollies? Is it rollie pollie orr??)
Auraboas.png
FObX7rS.png
5hF3FGk.png
YMPbu9R.png
Cheap-8.pngSales.png
we exclusively call them carpenters where I live, like I've never met anyone in person who calls them something other than carpenters lol. they're very silly little bugs. really common here too, I find them everywhere in the summer
we exclusively call them carpenters where I live, like I've never met anyone in person who calls them something other than carpenters lol. they're very silly little bugs. really common here too, I find them everywhere in the summer
output-onlinegiftools.gif hZipXGO.png rix3ppo.png
YMPbu9R.png
4WPArK6.png
I've always found them fascinating to watch, esp after i found out they weren't actually bugs (depending on specifics), one time i got to touch an actual deep sea isopod which was really cool and its so fun to see how similar animals can end up in such different circumstances
I've always found them fascinating to watch, esp after i found out they weren't actually bugs (depending on specifics), one time i got to touch an actual deep sea isopod which was really cool and its so fun to see how similar animals can end up in such different circumstances
9hqcHsy.png pAONOEc.png
WYxPUv8.png G8AyR6r.png
V7wUqxW.png DoQJ9XF.png
6YtLZau.png LGvol4P.png
2iKXjpB.png l8NOdbs.png New-ish and figuring stuff out.
These guys are the cutest! I haven't really seen many of them the last few years but this year seems different. Already found quite a few on my way to work and saved one from my ... not so nice coworker as she wanted to kill one that was crawling on the bench but she luckily missed and I told her to stop and picked the little fella up.

I also noticed there is more variety this year! I used to find the grey ones only but not this year.
These guys are the cutest! I haven't really seen many of them the last few years but this year seems different. Already found quite a few on my way to work and saved one from my ... not so nice coworker as she wanted to kill one that was crawling on the bench but she luckily missed and I told her to stop and picked the little fella up.

I also noticed there is more variety this year! I used to find the grey ones only but not this year.
2aoyUTU.png
[quote name="charwal" date="2024-04-24 18:58:44" ] we exclusively call them carpenters where I live, like I've never met anyone in person who calls them something other than carpenters lol. they're very silly little bugs. really common here too, I find them everywhere in the summer [/quote] It's funny how everyone seems to have a different name for these wonderful little guys. We call them potato bugs here! I think potato bug is actually the name of another bug so that's kind of confusing lol I love isopod and isopod adjacent creatures so much, they're so cute
charwal wrote on 2024-04-24 18:58:44:

It's funny how everyone seems to have a different name for these wonderful little guys. We call them potato bugs here! I think potato bug is actually the name of another bug so that's kind of confusing lol

I love isopod and isopod adjacent creatures so much, they're so cute

I'll make a nice signature eventually :(
They're just called slaters where I am, I don't think any of them can actually roll up, they have almost flat shells here.
They're just called slaters where I am, I don't think any of them can actually roll up, they have almost flat shells here.
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
isopods bring me so much joy. the rubber ducky ones are very cute. :] [img]https://insektenliebe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Cubaris-spec.-_Rubber-Ducky_.jpg[/img]
isopods bring me so much joy. the rubber ducky ones are very cute. :]
Cubaris-spec.-_Rubber-Ducky_.jpg
he/theyautistic

(i'll edit my signature soon, i promise.)
The only actual pillbug I've seen in the in the wild is the common pillbug ([i]Armadillidium vulgare[/i]). [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/A._Vulgare_adults.jpg[/img] Despite the name containing the word 'common', they're actually still pretty rare sights for me. But I enjoy the other isopods around here too. There's of course always the rough woodlouse ([i]Porcellio scaber[/i]). [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Porcellio_scaber_%28AU%29-left_01.jpg[/img] Really freaking common, but they're nice to have around, and very cute. I'd even say they're my favourite of the terrestrial isopods. Good little animals.
The only actual pillbug I've seen in the in the wild is the common pillbug (Armadillidium vulgare).
A._Vulgare_adults.jpg
Despite the name containing the word 'common', they're actually still pretty rare sights for me.

But I enjoy the other isopods around here too. There's of course always the rough woodlouse (Porcellio scaber).
Porcellio_scaber_%28AU%29-left_01.jpg
Really freaking common, but they're nice to have around, and very cute. I'd even say they're my favourite of the terrestrial isopods. Good little animals.
1 2