Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Biology
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="bulrush" date="2023-02-25 08:49:57" ] sorry i should've specified this is because of taxonomy, its the same reason for why there's a genuine push to classify the domains of life into only bacteria and archea so all humans will technically be archea too... [/quote] I haven’t heard of this. Is that true? I thought archaea were also prokaryotic, so lumping eukaryotes in with them doesn’t make sense.
bulrush wrote on 2023-02-25 08:49:57:
sorry i should've specified this is because of taxonomy, its the same reason for why there's a genuine push to classify the domains of life into only bacteria and archea so all humans will technically be archea too...
I haven’t heard of this. Is that true? I thought archaea were also prokaryotic, so lumping eukaryotes in with them doesn’t make sense.

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

@Coincidence this is all still very recent so its understandable you haven't heard, still not a complete nail in the coffin for 3 domain life but here's an article that could help explain the connections
@Coincidence this is all still very recent so its understandable you haven't heard, still not a complete nail in the coffin for 3 domain life but here's an article that could help explain the connections
golden line with blue and white pearls and diamonds
@bulrush I see! That’s very interesting. Then archaea would cease to be a clade, then? Thanks for the reading material :-)
@bulrush I see! That’s very interesting. Then archaea would cease to be a clade, then? Thanks for the reading material :-)

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

How everything is fish... technically lol. I love that weird little fact.
How everything is fish... technically lol. I love that weird little fact.
0nY9TgK.png
6kR982D.png
vjHxXR9.png
WKtl2lb.png
fkWjutW.png
I almost went into biology (specifically evolution or genetics) but really couldn't care less for math and science which I would've needed to study biology. it's still an interest of mine and I almost always watch the new PBS Eons episode as soon as it comes out for my weekly evolutionary biology fix.
sometimes I just wonder how nature ever landed on something and decided it works. I could use the obvious examples like humans or giant pandas here, but honestly there's way too many other fun examples. like bumblebees! why are these little fuzzballs so bad at flying, how did nature look at this and say "yeap, good enough". it's just funny.
I almost went into biology (specifically evolution or genetics) but really couldn't care less for math and science which I would've needed to study biology. it's still an interest of mine and I almost always watch the new PBS Eons episode as soon as it comes out for my weekly evolutionary biology fix.
sometimes I just wonder how nature ever landed on something and decided it works. I could use the obvious examples like humans or giant pandas here, but honestly there's way too many other fun examples. like bumblebees! why are these little fuzzballs so bad at flying, how did nature look at this and say "yeap, good enough". it's just funny.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
@LouckyKoneko

It appears nature cares not for efficiency, which is funny. If something works, and is not causing major harm to an organism's populations or overall survival, it doesn't change. A human mind could easily think of a hundred ways something could be "better", but if there is no reason for something to change, it won't. If the bee can fly with its weird little wings, and successfully finds its food, avoids its predators, and is able to reproduce at a sustainable rate, nothing changes, because there is no pressure.

[glances at horses and some human anatomy, like you said]

Ironically pandas are a pretty fun topic, because they're just so strange. Weird niche for a bear to fall into. Perhaps too experimental. Now it's not doing them any favours in our rapid-paced world.
@LouckyKoneko

It appears nature cares not for efficiency, which is funny. If something works, and is not causing major harm to an organism's populations or overall survival, it doesn't change. A human mind could easily think of a hundred ways something could be "better", but if there is no reason for something to change, it won't. If the bee can fly with its weird little wings, and successfully finds its food, avoids its predators, and is able to reproduce at a sustainable rate, nothing changes, because there is no pressure.

[glances at horses and some human anatomy, like you said]

Ironically pandas are a pretty fun topic, because they're just so strange. Weird niche for a bear to fall into. Perhaps too experimental. Now it's not doing them any favours in our rapid-paced world.
ll0CfnD.png
mlHpBMC.png
FObX7rS.png
awUnQ0L.png
TdTJOrw.png
3M48cU6.png
:
:
:
:
:
:
NEW-SIGNATURE.png
@fivepebbles
ikr! nature is so weird about it sometimes. if something is good enough, it doesn't always care to improve it (basically nature is that kid who barely scrapes by with a C in most classes). especially if there is no pressure from the "survival of the fittest" rule (which would be better phrased as "survival of the most fitting"), nature is okay with putting octagons in round holes.
@fivepebbles
ikr! nature is so weird about it sometimes. if something is good enough, it doesn't always care to improve it (basically nature is that kid who barely scrapes by with a C in most classes). especially if there is no pressure from the "survival of the fittest" rule (which would be better phrased as "survival of the most fitting"), nature is okay with putting octagons in round holes.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
for example afaik horses are kind of messed up anatomically and get a tonnn of issues (see here, tw for animal death and injury) but they stick around bc their issues arent enough to prevent them from having babies anyway
for example afaik horses are kind of messed up anatomically and get a tonnn of issues (see here, tw for animal death and injury) but they stick around bc their issues arent enough to prevent them from having babies anyway
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
I know a lot of various different biology subjects, though mentioning things similar to taxonomy:
-Sea turtles can be related to reptiles (lizards are an example). They are cold-blooded and share similar reptile traits.
-Hawks are more closely related to eagles, and are slightly further away from falcons.
-Lightning bugs are related to beetles, because they are in similar categorized areas.
I know a lot of various different biology subjects, though mentioning things similar to taxonomy:
-Sea turtles can be related to reptiles (lizards are an example). They are cold-blooded and share similar reptile traits.
-Hawks are more closely related to eagles, and are slightly further away from falcons.
-Lightning bugs are related to beetles, because they are in similar categorized areas.
gziv3Ja.pnged1cxgE.pngQUIpVFE.pngoouioVf.pngmlHpBMC.png
Currently on a semi-hiatus, still online frequently.
Hyperfixated on history, science, comics, and the transformers franchise.
[quote name="LouckyKoneko" date="2023-02-26 05:18:33" ] -snip- I just wonder how nature ever landed on something and decided it works. I could use the obvious examples like humans or giant pandas here, but honestly there's way too many other fun examples. like bumblebees! why are these little fuzzballs so bad at flying, how did nature look at this and say "yeap, good enough". it's just funny. [/quote] Nature doesn’t “decide” it works. Evolution doesn’t have a direction or a mind. It is random. If it lands on something that works well enough for the organism to be competitive in that niche, it sticks around even though if if were designed it would be better. Take Rubisco, that enzyme does all the photosynthesis on Earth. It is really inefficient. It’s supposed to catalyze a reaction in the Calvin Cycle involving Carbon Dioxide, but it sometimes just grabs diatomic oxygen instead… which then becomes oxygen free radicals that need to be dealt with or they’ll destroy the cell. So that takes energy, called photorespiration I think, which basically means Rubisco as an enzyme is just not efficient. However, it took over the world and is found in pretty much all photosynthetic organisms.
LouckyKoneko wrote on 2023-02-26 05:18:33:
-snip- I just wonder how nature ever landed on something and decided it works. I could use the obvious examples like humans or giant pandas here, but honestly there's way too many other fun examples. like bumblebees! why are these little fuzzballs so bad at flying, how did nature look at this and say "yeap, good enough". it's just funny.
Nature doesn’t “decide” it works. Evolution doesn’t have a direction or a mind. It is random. If it lands on something that works well enough for the organism to be competitive in that niche, it sticks around even though if if were designed it would be better.

Take Rubisco, that enzyme does all the photosynthesis on Earth. It is really inefficient. It’s supposed to catalyze a reaction in the Calvin Cycle involving Carbon Dioxide, but it sometimes just grabs diatomic oxygen instead… which then becomes oxygen free radicals that need to be dealt with or they’ll destroy the cell. So that takes energy, called photorespiration I think, which basically means Rubisco as an enzyme is just not efficient. However, it took over the world and is found in pretty much all photosynthetic organisms.
1 2 3 4 5