Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dislike Raya And The Last Dragon?
1 2 3
What killed this movie for me was just the disney-fication of the world and designs. I feel it would've been much more enjoyable if the world and character designs were more rough and not smooth/soft, but i guess its hard to make merch off of that so -shrug-

It also would've 100% benefitted from being a series rather than a movie. You spend so little time in each region and in general the pace of the movie felt rushed.

Also for a movie that was supposed to be influenced by asian cultures, it did...very little of that and it kinda felt like they just slapped that on there just because.

There was a lot of potential for this movie but it was simply a letdown for me. Even my friend's little girls didn't like it, and they're all over Frozen and Moana.

What killed this movie for me was just the disney-fication of the world and designs. I feel it would've been much more enjoyable if the world and character designs were more rough and not smooth/soft, but i guess its hard to make merch off of that so -shrug-

It also would've 100% benefitted from being a series rather than a movie. You spend so little time in each region and in general the pace of the movie felt rushed.

Also for a movie that was supposed to be influenced by asian cultures, it did...very little of that and it kinda felt like they just slapped that on there just because.

There was a lot of potential for this movie but it was simply a letdown for me. Even my friend's little girls didn't like it, and they're all over Frozen and Moana.

[quote name="Colubridae" date="2021-07-05 09:55:04" ]It also would've 100% benefitted from being a series rather than a movie. You spend so little time in each region and in general the pace of the movie felt rushed.[/quote] avatar's been there, done that (even if it had its own flaws representation-wise, there is plenty of soul in the story and setting imo). i can see why disney would try to avoid doing something too similar. there's also something to be said about their formula of using a movie to get people hooked, cashing in on its success with merch and perhaps a bad spin-off tv series, then rinsing and repeating. [quote name="Colubridae" date="2021-07-05 09:55:04" ]the disney-fication of the world and designs[/quote] YEAH. it sure as heck FEELS like outright caricature at points. like what someone who knows nothing about southeast asia thinks southeast asia is like. (and no, that's not just from the general two-dimensionity of the setting. bad enough that what is [i]seen[/i] of the three nations that aren't heart or fang is 1. nonexistent, 2. thieves and 3. barbarians (and also nonexistent). c'mon.) [quote name="@Vasarul" date="2021-07-04 23:12:55" ]I'm no history buff, but what exactly is Fang supposed to represent?[/quote] not super sure, but there's almost certainly artistic license involved to make the characters more recognisable. for storytelling purposes, it's good to have audiences recognise namaari on sight, and raya's already occupied the slot for generic-southeast-asian-girl-of-mystery-ethnicity. dead certain fang's palace is mirroring angkor wat, though.
Colubridae wrote on 2021-07-05 09:55:04:
avatar's been there, done that (even if it had its own flaws representation-wise, there is plenty of soul in the story and setting imo). i can see why disney would try to avoid doing something too similar. there's also something to be said about their formula of using a movie to get people hooked, cashing in on its success with merch and perhaps a bad spin-off tv series, then rinsing and repeating.

Colubridae wrote on 2021-07-05 09:55:04:
the disney-fication of the world and designs
YEAH. it sure as heck FEELS like outright caricature at points. like what someone who knows nothing about southeast asia thinks southeast asia is like. (and no, that's not just from the general two-dimensionity of the setting. bad enough that what is seen of the three nations that aren't heart or fang is 1. nonexistent, 2. thieves and 3. barbarians (and also nonexistent). c'mon.)

@Vasarul wrote on 2021-07-04 23:12:55:
I'm no history buff, but what exactly is Fang supposed to represent?
not super sure, but there's almost certainly artistic license involved to make the characters more recognisable. for storytelling purposes, it's good to have audiences recognise namaari on sight, and raya's already occupied the slot for generic-southeast-asian-girl-of-mystery-ethnicity.

dead certain fang's palace is mirroring angkor wat, though.
1dgHJ.gif
@XsvL8d

Thinking about your post, you actually helped me articulate a story flaw beyond dragon design. For any and all flaws Avatar: TLA has, it got one of the most important rules of worldbuilding correct… nuance. The Northern Water Tribe is different than the Southern Water Tribe, which is different than the Foggy Swamp Tribe. Same thing goes for the modern Fire Nation and the Sun Warriors, and the same for the Earth Kingdom. In Raya, that nuance is lacking. Talon’s representative is a stereotype without nuance (In Avatar, Zuko is given nuance and contrasted by Iroh and Jeong-Jeong), Tail only has one representative (Aang might’ve been the last Airbender, but we still learn about the Air Nomads through him): and Spine is almost dead as well. Result? We feel less for the characters and world.
@XsvL8d

Thinking about your post, you actually helped me articulate a story flaw beyond dragon design. For any and all flaws Avatar: TLA has, it got one of the most important rules of worldbuilding correct… nuance. The Northern Water Tribe is different than the Southern Water Tribe, which is different than the Foggy Swamp Tribe. Same thing goes for the modern Fire Nation and the Sun Warriors, and the same for the Earth Kingdom. In Raya, that nuance is lacking. Talon’s representative is a stereotype without nuance (In Avatar, Zuko is given nuance and contrasted by Iroh and Jeong-Jeong), Tail only has one representative (Aang might’ve been the last Airbender, but we still learn about the Air Nomads through him): and Spine is almost dead as well. Result? We feel less for the characters and world.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
1 2 3