Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Horizon Zero Dawn
1 2 3
I've just learned that sequel is planned for 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021 and I'm a bit sad now

BECAUSE THAT'S STILL AT LEAST LIKE 5 MONTHS TO GO *SCREAMS*

The worst part is that I'm starting to be excited for it while even haven't finished *this* one yet lol
I've just learned that sequel is planned for 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021 and I'm a bit sad now

BECAUSE THAT'S STILL AT LEAST LIKE 5 MONTHS TO GO *SCREAMS*

The worst part is that I'm starting to be excited for it while even haven't finished *this* one yet lol
W6LdAlV.gif
It gets a lot of praise for its visuals and sound design(which is beautiful) but this game probably has the best gameplay I’ve ever experienced. I’ve played quite a few games and ARPGs, but the game advances archery combat beyond just press and release. The combat is just fast paced enough that if I get in a bad situation I know it’s because I did something dumb instead of the hitboxes catching stray hits or buttons not responding fast enough. The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes. And the arrow types add so much variety to the combat and it’s so much fun trying different strategies(my favorite is tying machines down and blasting away at their armor, so satisfying). I tend to play a lot of games for their stories first and gameplay second but I would all the time get sidetracked because I want to blow something up for fun.

Aloy is a great character too. She’s hilarious and full of sass.
It gets a lot of praise for its visuals and sound design(which is beautiful) but this game probably has the best gameplay I’ve ever experienced. I’ve played quite a few games and ARPGs, but the game advances archery combat beyond just press and release. The combat is just fast paced enough that if I get in a bad situation I know it’s because I did something dumb instead of the hitboxes catching stray hits or buttons not responding fast enough. The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes. And the arrow types add so much variety to the combat and it’s so much fun trying different strategies(my favorite is tying machines down and blasting away at their armor, so satisfying). I tend to play a lot of games for their stories first and gameplay second but I would all the time get sidetracked because I want to blow something up for fun.

Aloy is a great character too. She’s hilarious and full of sass.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
I still need to finish it, and as far as I'm aware im almost done, the game has great graphics, it feels alive, and the combat is great.

It really is a challenging game and sometimes it does make you rage quit, but it makes the wins even better. And all so one time I accidently walked into a fight with a rockbreaker and had to try 15 times because I had no clue what was going on and the game auto saved so I was stuck.
I still need to finish it, and as far as I'm aware im almost done, the game has great graphics, it feels alive, and the combat is great.

It really is a challenging game and sometimes it does make you rage quit, but it makes the wins even better. And all so one time I accidently walked into a fight with a rockbreaker and had to try 15 times because I had no clue what was going on and the game auto saved so I was stuck.
99catfish_zpsd8a90dbb.gif
[quote name="rainchime" date="2021-02-16 08:56:48" ] [Snip] The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes. [Snip] [/quote] Oh my gods you're right. I can't believe I didnt notice that one detail but yesss. It's such a godsend now that you mention it! Try playing MH: World after playing HZD—it's pure torture.
rainchime wrote on 2021-02-16 08:56:48:
[Snip]
The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes.
[Snip]
Oh my gods you're right. I can't believe I didnt notice that one detail but yesss. It's such a godsend now that you mention it! Try playing MH: World after playing HZD—it's pure torture.
Eco1dmi.png Egg Art Shop

Skin shop

Art Shop
[quote name="Sinnabelle" date="2021-02-16 09:11:28" ] [quote name="rainchime" date="2021-02-16 08:56:48" ] [Snip] The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes. [Snip] [/quote] Oh my gods you're right. I can't believe I didnt notice that one detail but yesss. It's such a godsend now that you mention it! Try playing MH: World after playing HZD—it's pure torture. [/quote] I actually did play MH World a while back! The game is fun, but it’s so difficult for me to complete hunts without constantly chugging potions. I’ve seen people defend it by saying that it’s supposed to look and feel realistic since you’re just a human swinging around giant weapons, which I can understand the reasoning behind, but I don’t like how much it impacts the gameplay. FFVIIR has slower response times as well but it’s not as terrible as the MH games. I just gotta squint around all those sparkly particle effects(I really wish there was a way to turn them down because sometimes I literally can’t see what’s going on lol). I wonder if Aloy just has a super small hitbox as well. It’s been a while since I’ve played but I remember projectiles landing practically at her feet and she doesn’t get hit. Easily zipping around and under enemies is such a fun ARPG mechanic that I wish more games in the genre paid more attention to it. All this talk about dodging physics got me remembering Shadow of the Colossus. It’s a beautiful game but seeing Wander run and roll around like his legs have fallen asleep is unintentionally funny. Boy just ragdolls his way to victory. Uhhh...back on topic... I’m really excited for the sequel! It was pretty obvious it would get a sequel, there was so much lore suspiciously swept under the rug and that ending practically screamed “to be continued...” One of my biggest hopes is that we will be able to mount more machines. Mounted combat is another super fun mechanic, but imagine doing it with flying machines! I can’t wait to see what the other tribes are about as well, since we got a few glimpses of them.
Sinnabelle wrote on 2021-02-16 09:11:28:
rainchime wrote on 2021-02-16 08:56:48:
[Snip]
The dodges are so responsive and immediately cancel the current animation, which is a problem I’ve had in games for YEARS. Aloy doesn’t waste any time sitting there putting away her weapon or reacting to something, she just goes.
[Snip]
Oh my gods you're right. I can't believe I didnt notice that one detail but yesss. It's such a godsend now that you mention it! Try playing MH: World after playing HZD—it's pure torture.

I actually did play MH World a while back! The game is fun, but it’s so difficult for me to complete hunts without constantly chugging potions. I’ve seen people defend it by saying that it’s supposed to look and feel realistic since you’re just a human swinging around giant weapons, which I can understand the reasoning behind, but I don’t like how much it impacts the gameplay. FFVIIR has slower response times as well but it’s not as terrible as the MH games. I just gotta squint around all those sparkly particle effects(I really wish there was a way to turn them down because sometimes I literally can’t see what’s going on lol). I wonder if Aloy just has a super small hitbox as well. It’s been a while since I’ve played but I remember projectiles landing practically at her feet and she doesn’t get hit. Easily zipping around and under enemies is such a fun ARPG mechanic that I wish more games in the genre paid more attention to it.

All this talk about dodging physics got me remembering Shadow of the Colossus. It’s a beautiful game but seeing Wander run and roll around like his legs have fallen asleep is unintentionally funny. Boy just ragdolls his way to victory.

Uhhh...back on topic... I’m really excited for the sequel! It was pretty obvious it would get a sequel, there was so much lore suspiciously swept under the rug and that ending practically screamed “to be continued...” One of my biggest hopes is that we will be able to mount more machines. Mounted combat is another super fun mechanic, but imagine doing it with flying machines! I can’t wait to see what the other tribes are about as well, since we got a few glimpses of them.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
Maybe I'm alone with this, but I'd LOVE to see more Banuk stuff at some point? I'd love to get to explore Ban-Ur, see what some other weraks are like, get a better insight into the politics of the tribe as it stands in the heart of their homeland and if their cultural crisis is coming any closer to resolving itself one way or another.

idk I just think it'd be cool, they're my favorite out of the main tribes in the game.

-points at some guys hangin out in the snow- i just think theyre neat
Maybe I'm alone with this, but I'd LOVE to see more Banuk stuff at some point? I'd love to get to explore Ban-Ur, see what some other weraks are like, get a better insight into the politics of the tribe as it stands in the heart of their homeland and if their cultural crisis is coming any closer to resolving itself one way or another.

idk I just think it'd be cool, they're my favorite out of the main tribes in the game.

-points at some guys hangin out in the snow- i just think theyre neat
Oh yes
Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game!

Not Found
Oh yes
Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game!

Not Found
@QueenClam Oh that's a REALLY good Aloy!
@QueenClam Oh that's a REALLY good Aloy!
@Vertibird

Thanks, but it's still a scry. I still have yet to find a dragon with the right genes.
@Vertibird

Thanks, but it's still a scry. I still have yet to find a dragon with the right genes.
[Font=Comic Sans MS]@QueenClam That's some interesting fandragon plans I see, especially with this a bit [i]unconventional[/i] breed choice. 11/10 would immediately give her a like if it was an existing fandragon [emoji=normal eyes size=1][emoji=normal eyes size=1]
@QueenClam
That's some interesting fandragon plans I see, especially with this a bit unconventional breed choice.

11/10 would immediately give her a like if it was an existing fandragon
W6LdAlV.gif
1 2 3