Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Calls out into the void: Band Kids?
1 2 3 4
Hiya!!! Used to be in my High School band until I quit because our director was sadly an arse. Proud Trombone player at the time, and when you signed up for band at our school your stuck doing both concert and marching season. Marching season was always more enjoyable for me-

The trombones has a little ritual called 'trombone snacks.' Where one person would buy each trombone a snack from concessions. It switched everytime so it wasnt the same person doing the buying.
Hiya!!! Used to be in my High School band until I quit because our director was sadly an arse. Proud Trombone player at the time, and when you signed up for band at our school your stuck doing both concert and marching season. Marching season was always more enjoyable for me-

The trombones has a little ritual called 'trombone snacks.' Where one person would buy each trombone a snack from concessions. It switched everytime so it wasnt the same person doing the buying.
6U6lWPg.pngWRPJKhj.png
P E R E G R I N
rO50KyM.png
she/they
free giveaway

wishlist
art shop
HxP6kXi.pngqKZAaLK.png0jScwbh.pngxe4FQbY.pngDWI9puz.pngybizMWD.png7GFlGJN.pngTrnD1Pw.png
DHc3orZ.pngDHc3orZ.png
My teacher is going to try to have practice through Zoom today. I’m scared. It sounds horrible when there’s just people talking in the meetings.
There’s only three other people in the flute section. One of them is a year older and she’s the only one that can really play the songs lol.
My teacher is going to try to have practice through Zoom today. I’m scared. It sounds horrible when there’s just people talking in the meetings.
There’s only three other people in the flute section. One of them is a year older and she’s the only one that can really play the songs lol.
tumblr_pt3k6kp4CW1tesnpoo2_75sq.gif573Ze2b.giftumblr_pt3k6kp4CW1tesnpoo2_75sq.gif
Oboist over here! And well, many other instruments as well, but mainly just oboe.

I'll be spending my time improving at the oboe to try and get into all state as I continue to learn tenor sax. Luckily compared to the oboe, the tenor is quite easy lol
Oboist over here! And well, many other instruments as well, but mainly just oboe.

I'll be spending my time improving at the oboe to try and get into all state as I continue to learn tenor sax. Luckily compared to the oboe, the tenor is quite easy lol
@xNEVERLANDx
Hey there! I feel you, marching was honestly just the best for me... late nights with the bro’s in the band, know what I mean?
Maan, trombone snacks sound like a good tune. I was more of an imposter, not that close with the only other trombone and I would hang out a lot with the trumpets. Once, the shack was selling kazoos, brasstaches, and plastic trumpets, and I bought them for my trumpet bro’s and long story short that was chaos.
Another time, we snuck behind an open gate into a park and lay down in the super tall grass. Good times.

@QueenAltari
Oh boy... your teachers actually going through with it? Yikes... my condolences... let us know how it goes! I’m no longer doing symphonic band, but I’m taking choir and tap dance through zoom, and it lags so much already... Heya flute! I think you’re the first woodwind here! Yay?

@@Ehomeyjr
Ooh, you’re learning how to play tenor too? I’m trying to learn, but it’s the first woodwind or even wind instrument with valves or buttons I’ve ever played! I couldn’t even start at first cuz im using my aunts 40 year old sax and the ligature broke. Got any tips? Lol I’m still struggling to put it together
@xNEVERLANDx
Hey there! I feel you, marching was honestly just the best for me... late nights with the bro’s in the band, know what I mean?
Maan, trombone snacks sound like a good tune. I was more of an imposter, not that close with the only other trombone and I would hang out a lot with the trumpets. Once, the shack was selling kazoos, brasstaches, and plastic trumpets, and I bought them for my trumpet bro’s and long story short that was chaos.
Another time, we snuck behind an open gate into a park and lay down in the super tall grass. Good times.

@QueenAltari
Oh boy... your teachers actually going through with it? Yikes... my condolences... let us know how it goes! I’m no longer doing symphonic band, but I’m taking choir and tap dance through zoom, and it lags so much already... Heya flute! I think you’re the first woodwind here! Yay?

@@Ehomeyjr
Ooh, you’re learning how to play tenor too? I’m trying to learn, but it’s the first woodwind or even wind instrument with valves or buttons I’ve ever played! I couldn’t even start at first cuz im using my aunts 40 year old sax and the ligature broke. Got any tips? Lol I’m still struggling to put it together
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.pngrainbow-bisexual-bands-love-is-love.pngtumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
@TheatreRaptor

Ah well luckily the Tenor is not the hardest of instruments lol, so I suppose I can give tips
I'd definitely would get a new ligature, you want to make sure that reed stays on perfectly so you're able to be in tune. Speaking of tune, getting to low notes on the tenor can be difficult and takes a ton of air to do so. Over time you'll become familiar with the type of reeds you work best with (a 2 is great for beginners or perhaps a 2.5) and the brand. Personally I use Rigotti 3 1/2 as I am familiar with reeds, mainly double reeds. Since you're new to woodwinds in general, a 2 is a good choice.
When putting the entirety of the mouthpiece together, you want to put the flat side of the reed onto the mouth piece to where the ends match. There should be a line on mouthpiece to help line up. then just go ahead and slide that ligature on from the top and screw it on. Make sure it plays on its own and not just on the instrument.
I would go ahead and print out the fingering chart and work on scales, keeps your fingers moving to help with transitions and keeps you familiar. I would practice jumps as well, low note to high. or low to mid to high.
Long tones are very important! Especially as a tenor. It was tiring for me when it came to breathing when I first started learning. Going from a tiny little reed to blow through to a big single reed takes a lot out of you. You'll want to make sure you don't use too much air in a note but still use a lot of air to get it out, especially if it's a low note. But you should know that as a trombone lol
So with the lower notes, you have to go ahead and open your throat up and blow through the instrument from your chest practically, but it takes a lot of air. I'd put my mouth mid reed to where I can get a mix of both low and high. Or wherever the reed allows you to. Takes some experimenting.
And lastly, don't hit yourself in the mouth, I have way too many bruises and scars from every single one of my instruments lol
good luck!
@TheatreRaptor

Ah well luckily the Tenor is not the hardest of instruments lol, so I suppose I can give tips
I'd definitely would get a new ligature, you want to make sure that reed stays on perfectly so you're able to be in tune. Speaking of tune, getting to low notes on the tenor can be difficult and takes a ton of air to do so. Over time you'll become familiar with the type of reeds you work best with (a 2 is great for beginners or perhaps a 2.5) and the brand. Personally I use Rigotti 3 1/2 as I am familiar with reeds, mainly double reeds. Since you're new to woodwinds in general, a 2 is a good choice.
When putting the entirety of the mouthpiece together, you want to put the flat side of the reed onto the mouth piece to where the ends match. There should be a line on mouthpiece to help line up. then just go ahead and slide that ligature on from the top and screw it on. Make sure it plays on its own and not just on the instrument.
I would go ahead and print out the fingering chart and work on scales, keeps your fingers moving to help with transitions and keeps you familiar. I would practice jumps as well, low note to high. or low to mid to high.
Long tones are very important! Especially as a tenor. It was tiring for me when it came to breathing when I first started learning. Going from a tiny little reed to blow through to a big single reed takes a lot out of you. You'll want to make sure you don't use too much air in a note but still use a lot of air to get it out, especially if it's a low note. But you should know that as a trombone lol
So with the lower notes, you have to go ahead and open your throat up and blow through the instrument from your chest practically, but it takes a lot of air. I'd put my mouth mid reed to where I can get a mix of both low and high. Or wherever the reed allows you to. Takes some experimenting.
And lastly, don't hit yourself in the mouth, I have way too many bruises and scars from every single one of my instruments lol
good luck!
@TheatreRaptor

Lol, sounds like fun chaos if you ask me. You give band kids kazoos and theres no going back. But it sounds like you had a lot of fun tho!!! I was kinda the opposite, I had a few friends with different instruments, but i mostly hung out with my trombone brothers.

Though may I ask what brasstaches are? I can take a guess but I just want to be sure lol
@TheatreRaptor

Lol, sounds like fun chaos if you ask me. You give band kids kazoos and theres no going back. But it sounds like you had a lot of fun tho!!! I was kinda the opposite, I had a few friends with different instruments, but i mostly hung out with my trombone brothers.

Though may I ask what brasstaches are? I can take a guess but I just want to be sure lol
6U6lWPg.pngWRPJKhj.png
P E R E G R I N
rO50KyM.png
she/they
free giveaway

wishlist
art shop
HxP6kXi.pngqKZAaLK.png0jScwbh.pngxe4FQbY.pngDWI9puz.pngybizMWD.png7GFlGJN.pngTrnD1Pw.png
DHc3orZ.pngDHc3orZ.png
The clarinet is the most disgusting instrument ever, don't listen to anyone else. Never hold someone else's clarinet or even touch it.

ah yes, I play the clarinet.
The clarinet is the most disgusting instrument ever, don't listen to anyone else. Never hold someone else's clarinet or even touch it.

ah yes, I play the clarinet.
giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47389317e0c08975b69e19a90f4aaee41ccb1600fe&rid=giphy.gif

AO6x9Go.gifACOZFAh.png EiPW4qT.png AO6x9Go.gif
Orchestra kid here (I play cello), but I used to play flute! I wasn’t very good at it, but it was fun while it lasted!
Orchestra kid here (I play cello), but I used to play flute! I wasn’t very good at it, but it was fun while it lasted!
Wetdog | she/her | fr +3
My online band thing didn’t end up happening. The teacher couldn’t get connected to the meeting, so it was just like 30 kids (about half of them muted) chatting about how this one kid couldn’t be president anymore because he didn’t show up.
My online band thing didn’t end up happening. The teacher couldn’t get connected to the meeting, so it was just like 30 kids (about half of them muted) chatting about how this one kid couldn’t be president anymore because he didn’t show up.
tumblr_pt3k6kp4CW1tesnpoo2_75sq.gif573Ze2b.giftumblr_pt3k6kp4CW1tesnpoo2_75sq.gif
Hello I am the biggest band nerd to ever walk this earth and I am going insane not being able to do band :)

I'm 19 and (was) in my uni's symphonic (non music majors) and wind ensemble (music majors mostly, not me though!) this year. I also was in a community band being run by my high school band director for people ages 18-30. I'm a geography major but I am, and always will be, a band kid.

I play the Bb clarinet, Eb clarinet, and alto saxophone, though I am not in any jazz bands atm so I don't play my alto much anymore, but I used to.

When I was in grade 12, I was in 6 bands at once, and it was amazing. I miss high school band a lot, it was a really great time. ack. I went to LA in grade 11 and Seattle in grade 12, and this year I got to go to Penticton with my uni's wind ensemble right before coronavirus shut down all travel so I am grateful for that.

I got a nice MoBa barrel for my wooden Bb clarinet right before everything shut down, and got to use it at one rehearsal. I also got my high school's Backun Eb clarinet barrel to use from my band director at that same rehearsal, so I have two fancy barrels and no concerts to use them at :(

Clarinets (Eb clarinet especially) are the best instrument fight me
Hello I am the biggest band nerd to ever walk this earth and I am going insane not being able to do band :)

I'm 19 and (was) in my uni's symphonic (non music majors) and wind ensemble (music majors mostly, not me though!) this year. I also was in a community band being run by my high school band director for people ages 18-30. I'm a geography major but I am, and always will be, a band kid.

I play the Bb clarinet, Eb clarinet, and alto saxophone, though I am not in any jazz bands atm so I don't play my alto much anymore, but I used to.

When I was in grade 12, I was in 6 bands at once, and it was amazing. I miss high school band a lot, it was a really great time. ack. I went to LA in grade 11 and Seattle in grade 12, and this year I got to go to Penticton with my uni's wind ensemble right before coronavirus shut down all travel so I am grateful for that.

I got a nice MoBa barrel for my wooden Bb clarinet right before everything shut down, and got to use it at one rehearsal. I also got my high school's Backun Eb clarinet barrel to use from my band director at that same rehearsal, so I have two fancy barrels and no concerts to use them at :(

Clarinets (Eb clarinet especially) are the best instrument fight me
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif
1 2 3 4