Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Calling all Artists!
1 2 3 4 5 6
i use paint.net! it doesnt really have much cool features but its free, easy to learn too i think. if you do get it then probably consider some plugins too
i use paint.net! it doesnt really have much cool features but its free, easy to learn too i think. if you do get it then probably consider some plugins too
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Personally I use Sketchbook Pro! It's pretty cool, and very easy to use. I've also heard good things about Krita. Both are free, so I definitely recommend giving them both a try to see how you like them!
Personally I use Sketchbook Pro! It's pretty cool, and very easy to use. I've also heard good things about Krita. Both are free, so I definitely recommend giving them both a try to see how you like them!
Krita is good if your computer can handle it! it's not that heavy, it runs smoothly enough on my 4-year-old, cheap laptop, but some people with older/less powerful devices have reported problems with it. it's free to use, pretty similar to photoshop, and has an extensive list of tools that i have no idea how they work.

*i personally use SAI, but i have both krita and firealpaca downloaded, and they're both pretty good imo. i wouldn't actually recommend SAI, it's basically abandonware, and surprisingly lacking in many aspects. i'm just too rooted in my bad ways to make the change. ;0
Krita is good if your computer can handle it! it's not that heavy, it runs smoothly enough on my 4-year-old, cheap laptop, but some people with older/less powerful devices have reported problems with it. it's free to use, pretty similar to photoshop, and has an extensive list of tools that i have no idea how they work.

*i personally use SAI, but i have both krita and firealpaca downloaded, and they're both pretty good imo. i wouldn't actually recommend SAI, it's basically abandonware, and surprisingly lacking in many aspects. i'm just too rooted in my bad ways to make the change. ;0
ACOZFAh.png
g3bTNzM.png
hh5n4WA.png
I use Photoshop for work but honestly switched off of it at home. It's not as important for drawing as it used to be and the price tag plus needless computer dragging features make it a no go, unless you have to.

Most software with layers and transparency are good alternatives. Clip studio paint is often on sale but worth the asking price. It's excellent as a Photoshop competitor.

Tried GIMP did not like

Medibang is a nice alternative to procreate if you don't have an iPad. Both of these are great software you can use on a tablet, which means none of that bamboo hand, eye disconnect nonsense.

I've been using procreate almost always now, it's the most natural feeling coming from traditional art. Procreate itself is cheap and amazing, but the cost of the iPad isn't something to sneeze at, so it may be out of the question if you can't get an old or used one.

(If you want to see my procreate work, my art dump thread is over here, everything from page 4 onward is procreate)
I use Photoshop for work but honestly switched off of it at home. It's not as important for drawing as it used to be and the price tag plus needless computer dragging features make it a no go, unless you have to.

Most software with layers and transparency are good alternatives. Clip studio paint is often on sale but worth the asking price. It's excellent as a Photoshop competitor.

Tried GIMP did not like

Medibang is a nice alternative to procreate if you don't have an iPad. Both of these are great software you can use on a tablet, which means none of that bamboo hand, eye disconnect nonsense.

I've been using procreate almost always now, it's the most natural feeling coming from traditional art. Procreate itself is cheap and amazing, but the cost of the iPad isn't something to sneeze at, so it may be out of the question if you can't get an old or used one.

(If you want to see my procreate work, my art dump thread is over here, everything from page 4 onward is procreate)
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

When my computer used to work I used photoshop. It isnt free but for 10 usd a month the price isnt terrible. And a lot of the digital painting tutorials you will find online have the person using photoshop...I guess you dont have to use the same program that they are but it makes it easier in the beginning.
If you really want to learn how to make super realistic stuff you should probably get used to photoshop.

Since I can only use my ipad now I have been using Procreate a lot and it is a lot of fun and easy to use.

Every once and a while I poke around on Autodesk Sketchbook. Its a really nice and simple art program that works both with pc and ios.
When my computer used to work I used photoshop. It isnt free but for 10 usd a month the price isnt terrible. And a lot of the digital painting tutorials you will find online have the person using photoshop...I guess you dont have to use the same program that they are but it makes it easier in the beginning.
If you really want to learn how to make super realistic stuff you should probably get used to photoshop.

Since I can only use my ipad now I have been using Procreate a lot and it is a lot of fun and easy to use.

Every once and a while I poke around on Autodesk Sketchbook. Its a really nice and simple art program that works both with pc and ios.
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
I know a lot of people have mentioned medibang but it really is a quality program and it's free. It's great to start out with because of its many brushes and features. Once you get the hang of drawing digitally you should consider paint tool sai or photoshop. Another thing that's very important is a tablet/stylus, these make it much easier to draw instead of using a mouse. Tablets can get pretty expensive, but if you get a cheaper one without a screen and simple features like the Wacom Intuos which is only $50 you'd be good to go. Keep in mind this is just for pc.^^
I know a lot of people have mentioned medibang but it really is a quality program and it's free. It's great to start out with because of its many brushes and features. Once you get the hang of drawing digitally you should consider paint tool sai or photoshop. Another thing that's very important is a tablet/stylus, these make it much easier to draw instead of using a mouse. Tablets can get pretty expensive, but if you get a cheaper one without a screen and simple features like the Wacom Intuos which is only $50 you'd be good to go. Keep in mind this is just for pc.^^
mcpvFbQ.png
I just use Procreate on my iPad Mini. I've been able to make pieces I'm very satisfied with even without touch sensitivity, which I know is usually considered necessary for digital art. This is probably my favourite example at the moment.

Although, 99% of the time I sketch out on paper first, then take a photo and begin drawing digitally from there. Most of the time I'll be fooling around in my sketchbook during class and will accidentally make something I think would look good digitally.
I just use Procreate on my iPad Mini. I've been able to make pieces I'm very satisfied with even without touch sensitivity, which I know is usually considered necessary for digital art. This is probably my favourite example at the moment.

Although, 99% of the time I sketch out on paper first, then take a photo and begin drawing digitally from there. Most of the time I'll be fooling around in my sketchbook during class and will accidentally make something I think would look good digitally.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
I mostly use Painttool SAI and Clip Studio Paint, and Photoshop to finish things up.

Medibang is fantastic though, though I don't use it anymore.
I mostly use Painttool SAI and Clip Studio Paint, and Photoshop to finish things up.

Medibang is fantastic though, though I don't use it anymore.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
Thank you guys! i'll be sure to check these all out!
Thank you guys! i'll be sure to check these all out!
q9aRJCj.png
Just to throw in another suggestion, I use PaintShop Pro, which is made by Corel. Been using various versions of it for about 15 years now, which is how much I love it. It basically has all the features of Photoshop (and substantially more features than free programs like GIMP), but much more intuitive to use, and substantially cheaper. Also, it has various colour themes for the UI - I personally use the dark grey one, which is much easier on the eyes than white. I normally upgrade my PaintShop Pro version every other year, getting it on sale for £20-£30.

This year, however... Not sure if it's still available, but I literally snagged the latest version of PaintShop Pro (2020), plus Corel Painter 2019 and a bunch of various other Corel addons and programs, off Humble Bundle a week or so ago. Paid £15 for the whole lot. If it's still available, it's totally worth grabbing.

(Corel Painter simulates traditional art mediums like watercolour, pastel, acrylic paint, etc. Definitely planning on exploring that now that I've got it, as it seems like a pretty powerful bit of software. I've played with Painter Essentials in the past, when it came free with a PaintShop Pro upgrade, and now I have the full version to use. Quite excited!)

Main downside of PaintShop Pro is it's a bit resource intensive, so older computers will struggle with it, especially on larger images. Works best on a computer with decent CPU and RAM.
Just to throw in another suggestion, I use PaintShop Pro, which is made by Corel. Been using various versions of it for about 15 years now, which is how much I love it. It basically has all the features of Photoshop (and substantially more features than free programs like GIMP), but much more intuitive to use, and substantially cheaper. Also, it has various colour themes for the UI - I personally use the dark grey one, which is much easier on the eyes than white. I normally upgrade my PaintShop Pro version every other year, getting it on sale for £20-£30.

This year, however... Not sure if it's still available, but I literally snagged the latest version of PaintShop Pro (2020), plus Corel Painter 2019 and a bunch of various other Corel addons and programs, off Humble Bundle a week or so ago. Paid £15 for the whole lot. If it's still available, it's totally worth grabbing.

(Corel Painter simulates traditional art mediums like watercolour, pastel, acrylic paint, etc. Definitely planning on exploring that now that I've got it, as it seems like a pretty powerful bit of software. I've played with Painter Essentials in the past, when it came free with a PaintShop Pro upgrade, and now I have the full version to use. Quite excited!)

Main downside of PaintShop Pro is it's a bit resource intensive, so older computers will struggle with it, especially on larger images. Works best on a computer with decent CPU and RAM.
1 2 3 4 5 6