Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Unpopular Anime Opinions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="Siegmund" date="2019-11-10 21:30:45" ] -mononoke is underrated. watch mononoke [/quote] Mononoke is one of the best anime I have ever watched! I always recommend it whenever asked about shows to watch. My own opinions... - AoT was...meh. I read the manga before I watched the anime, and honestly I got bored with both pretty quickly, even though I wanted to give them a good shot. I just couldn't click with the characters. The opening theme is pretty good, though. - Can we not with the sibling love interest trope? It's gross. - Can we not with the "looks 12 but is 10000" trope to get around age so they can still be a love interest? It's okay when it's played purely for comedy or some other reason, but not for romance. - Just because an anime doesn't have the traditional "anime look" to it, doesn't mean it's bad. Kagewani, Yami Shibai, Mononoke...all of them are different from the "traditional" look, but they are amazing shows. - Manga > Anime is not always true. - Why the heck do people like the two main characters from Future Diary? They were both incredibly boring. Also, the overall ending was...meh. - The "character from modern world gets drawn into fantasy/sci-fi/Whatever world and is destined for greatness" genre is overdone. The only good ones of this are Overlord and MÄR.I - The anime spin-off of Supernatural was better than the actual show.
Siegmund wrote on 2019-11-10 21:30:45:
-mononoke is underrated. watch mononoke

Mononoke is one of the best anime I have ever watched! I always recommend it whenever asked about shows to watch.

My own opinions...

- AoT was...meh. I read the manga before I watched the anime, and honestly I got bored with both pretty quickly, even though I wanted to give them a good shot. I just couldn't click with the characters. The opening theme is pretty good, though.
- Can we not with the sibling love interest trope? It's gross.
- Can we not with the "looks 12 but is 10000" trope to get around age so they can still be a love interest? It's okay when it's played purely for comedy or some other reason, but not for romance.
- Just because an anime doesn't have the traditional "anime look" to it, doesn't mean it's bad. Kagewani, Yami Shibai, Mononoke...all of them are different from the "traditional" look, but they are amazing shows.
- Manga > Anime is not always true.
- Why the heck do people like the two main characters from Future Diary? They were both incredibly boring. Also, the overall ending was...meh.
- The "character from modern world gets drawn into fantasy/sci-fi/Whatever world and is destined for greatness" genre is overdone. The only good ones of this are Overlord and MÄR.I
- The anime spin-off of Supernatural was better than the actual show.
*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
- The Overlord anime is boring, which I think is a shame because the art in the light novels looks sick, and from what I've read on the wiki the world genuinely seems so interesting. But I barely made it through the first season and I have no incentive to pick it up again.

- Kimetsu no Yaiba is not that good in terms of writing.

- Konosuba is overrated. Each character's gimmick gets tiring after awhile, and hearing Aqua's constant whining and crying is not cute or funny.

- Angel Beats isn't as sad as people make it out to be. Yeah, everyone's got depressing backstories, but the anime was way too short to actually hold any emotional impact.

- Raphtalia x Naofumi is weird to say the least. Like, Naofumi starts off raising her as a child. She matures into adulthood because demihumans mature faster when they get xp, but the fact that she gets a crush on him feels really inappropriate...

- I agree that Houseki no Kuni deserved better.
- The Overlord anime is boring, which I think is a shame because the art in the light novels looks sick, and from what I've read on the wiki the world genuinely seems so interesting. But I barely made it through the first season and I have no incentive to pick it up again.

- Kimetsu no Yaiba is not that good in terms of writing.

- Konosuba is overrated. Each character's gimmick gets tiring after awhile, and hearing Aqua's constant whining and crying is not cute or funny.

- Angel Beats isn't as sad as people make it out to be. Yeah, everyone's got depressing backstories, but the anime was way too short to actually hold any emotional impact.

- Raphtalia x Naofumi is weird to say the least. Like, Naofumi starts off raising her as a child. She matures into adulthood because demihumans mature faster when they get xp, but the fact that she gets a crush on him feels really inappropriate...

- I agree that Houseki no Kuni deserved better.
23845.pngx..x28176.pngx.x23846.png
-The only reason why Free! got so popular was cause of the massive amounts of fanservice and shipping fuel. The characters were pretty neat but there just wasn't enough actual substance to keep me invested in them

-The "looks 10 but is really 1000" or "theyre actually 1000, their species just ages differently" excuse needs to die. Plus, since they still look (and sometimes act) so young, wouldn't that still technically make them a child by their species' age standards??

-Having darker themes and some gore in your anime/manga doesnt instantly make it horror *coughTOKYOGHOULcough*

-Shinji really isn't all that bad. I mean, the poor kid has gone through a constant conga-line of heavy trauma throughout and even before the show. I've seen worse protagonists who didn't go through nearly as much as he did.
-The only reason why Free! got so popular was cause of the massive amounts of fanservice and shipping fuel. The characters were pretty neat but there just wasn't enough actual substance to keep me invested in them

-The "looks 10 but is really 1000" or "theyre actually 1000, their species just ages differently" excuse needs to die. Plus, since they still look (and sometimes act) so young, wouldn't that still technically make them a child by their species' age standards??

-Having darker themes and some gore in your anime/manga doesnt instantly make it horror *coughTOKYOGHOULcough*

-Shinji really isn't all that bad. I mean, the poor kid has gone through a constant conga-line of heavy trauma throughout and even before the show. I've seen worse protagonists who didn't go through nearly as much as he did.
extra-head-right.png
★ Previously MalusNight
☆ She/Her
★ +1 FR Time
Quote:
- Can we not with the "looks 12 but is 10000" trope to get around age so they can still be a love interest? It's okay when it's played purely for comedy or some other reason, but not for romance.
I didn't think these even need to be said.
Quote:
I didn't think these even need to be said.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
- Watching one episode of Naruto does not automatically make you a number 1 anime fan.

- Gore and violence isn't very necessary for a horror unless that's the main part of an anime.
- Watching one episode of Naruto does not automatically make you a number 1 anime fan.

- Gore and violence isn't very necessary for a horror unless that's the main part of an anime.
Hey yall I'm back!
(I’m kind of new to anime, BNHA is the only one I’m really invested in rn)

-Characters whose only personality trait is ‘must pursue girls without their consent’ as ‘comic relief’ are unnecessary and not funny in the slightest. (If you watch BNHA, I’m sure you can guess who I’m referencing.)
-Teenage girls should not be wearing costumes that show off more skin than they cover just for the sake of fanservice. I don’t care if there’s a reason for it in canon, it’s creepy and makes me uncomfortable.
(I’m kind of new to anime, BNHA is the only one I’m really invested in rn)

-Characters whose only personality trait is ‘must pursue girls without their consent’ as ‘comic relief’ are unnecessary and not funny in the slightest. (If you watch BNHA, I’m sure you can guess who I’m referencing.)
-Teenage girls should not be wearing costumes that show off more skin than they cover just for the sake of fanservice. I don’t care if there’s a reason for it in canon, it’s creepy and makes me uncomfortable.
[quote name="GiantPandroid" date="2019-11-19 14:51:38" ] - Konosuba is overrated. Each character's gimmick gets tiring after awhile, and hearing Aqua's constant whining and crying is not cute or funny. - Angel Beats isn't as sad as people make it out to be. Yeah, everyone's got depressing backstories, but the anime was way too short to actually hold any emotional impact. - Raphtalia x Naofumi is weird to say the least. Like, Naofumi starts off raising her as a child. She matures into adulthood because demihumans mature faster when they get xp, but the fact that she gets a crush on him feels really inappropriate... [/quote] While I enjoyed all of these shows, I agree with these points. Konosuba is cute, but formulaic and tbh I almost dropped it early on because the repetitiveness and pacing weren’t my thing. I did end up enjoying it a lot more as the show went on and the plot progressed somewhat, but it’s still a valid criticism. I thought Angel Beats was well made, but I didn’t really get emotional over most of it because the show didn’t really set aside enough time to let the tearjerker moments breathe and set in. This isn’t even really a criticism of the show since I tend to stay away from “sad” shows (watching Your Lie In April was a mistake for me asdfkl) and therefore I’m kinda glad I wasn’t left dwelling on it. Shield Hero is kinda divisive in general as far as I can tell. It has its merits and I enjoyed it overall but yeah what a weird dynamic. It wouldn’t bother me so much if Raphtalia wasn’t a literal child when they met and therefore treated as a child in the early episodes. The rapid aging thing is never really brought up again in-universe as far as I can remember so it just feels kinda awkward in general? Unrelated to the above point but Shield Hero’s biggest flaw to me is the Bow and Sword heroes, whose names I can’t be bothered to remember. [spoiler]They see Naofumi be in the right and that Myne (sometimes the Spear Hero too to a lesser extent because he still can’t fully accept that Myne is terrible) be wrong/do something hella dubious multiple times but they never learn from it and apparently have selective amnesia throughout the whole show. You’d think after like the third time they’d start to question things but no, not for a very long time and even after Naofumi saves their lives from the corrupt priest there’s still some animosity towards him.[/spoiler] I guess the whole point is to make everyone outside of the main cast as unlikable as possible idk?
GiantPandroid wrote on 2019-11-19 14:51:38:

While I enjoyed all of these shows, I agree with these points.

Konosuba is cute, but formulaic and tbh I almost dropped it early on because the repetitiveness and pacing weren’t my thing. I did end up enjoying it a lot more as the show went on and the plot progressed somewhat, but it’s still a valid criticism.

I thought Angel Beats was well made, but I didn’t really get emotional over most of it because the show didn’t really set aside enough time to let the tearjerker moments breathe and set in. This isn’t even really a criticism of the show since I tend to stay away from “sad” shows (watching Your Lie In April was a mistake for me asdfkl) and therefore I’m kinda glad I wasn’t left dwelling on it.

Shield Hero is kinda divisive in general as far as I can tell. It has its merits and I enjoyed it overall but yeah what a weird dynamic. It wouldn’t bother me so much if Raphtalia wasn’t a literal child when they met and therefore treated as a child in the early episodes. The rapid aging thing is never really brought up again in-universe as far as I can remember so it just feels kinda awkward in general?

Unrelated to the above point but Shield Hero’s biggest flaw to me is the Bow and Sword heroes, whose names I can’t be bothered to remember. They see Naofumi be in the right and that Myne (sometimes the Spear Hero too to a lesser extent because he still can’t fully accept that Myne is terrible) be wrong/do something hella dubious multiple times but they never learn from it and apparently have selective amnesia throughout the whole show. You’d think after like the third time they’d start to question things but no, not for a very long time and even after Naofumi saves their lives from the corrupt priest there’s still some animosity towards him. I guess the whole point is to make everyone outside of the main cast as unlikable as possible idk?
Never be afraid to ping me!
- Sword Art Online actually had great potential, it was just the characters that fell really flat
- Sword Art Online actually had great potential, it was just the characters that fell really flat
tumblr_olkx7k1gjk1w18p86o1_r1_250.pnglgbtq_support_small.png
i am here with the hottest of takes.

makoto shinkai's work (most well known for "your name") is extremely overrated. it doesnt even look that good and the stories are basic generic garbage for plebs.

aku no hana's art and animation is beautiful and perfect for the story it tells.

every "problematic" thing explored in anime is perfectly okay because fiction should always be a safe place to explore any idea, no matter how taboo. i am entirely anti-censorship and anti-thought police and this is the hill i will die on.

good isekei dont exist and every second i watch one makes me embarrassed for everyone involved.

i can only imagine really liking kimetsu no yaiba if its one of the only anime youve ever seen.

sometimes dubs............. are fine.
i am here with the hottest of takes.

makoto shinkai's work (most well known for "your name") is extremely overrated. it doesnt even look that good and the stories are basic generic garbage for plebs.

aku no hana's art and animation is beautiful and perfect for the story it tells.

every "problematic" thing explored in anime is perfectly okay because fiction should always be a safe place to explore any idea, no matter how taboo. i am entirely anti-censorship and anti-thought police and this is the hill i will die on.

good isekei dont exist and every second i watch one makes me embarrassed for everyone involved.

i can only imagine really liking kimetsu no yaiba if its one of the only anime youve ever seen.

sometimes dubs............. are fine.
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
-Not interested in BHNA
-Panty and stocking is underrated
-Yuri Kuma Arashi is severely underrated
-Loved Soul Eater (and SE not)
-Loved SAO (watched it with my nephew <3)
-Not interested in BHNA
-Panty and stocking is underrated
-Yuri Kuma Arashi is severely underrated
-Loved Soul Eater (and SE not)
-Loved SAO (watched it with my nephew <3)
Emperor_Banner.png

Former Plague || Ping if you need anything
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8