Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Wanna help me with Latin?
1 2
I read on here in some other post a bit back about the Latin on some of the skins on here being technically incorrect and all that. It seemed a fair bit of users knew a thing or two about Latin.

So, I was wondering if anyone here wanted to help with translating some lines from English to Latin? I just want to be as accurate as I can be. Or perhaps you know of some decent sources (though I'm not really aiming to learn it)? I know google translate is usually not to be trusted haha

Pinglist for future help:
@ ImpossibleJedi4
@ sddalek
I read on here in some other post a bit back about the Latin on some of the skins on here being technically incorrect and all that. It seemed a fair bit of users knew a thing or two about Latin.

So, I was wondering if anyone here wanted to help with translating some lines from English to Latin? I just want to be as accurate as I can be. Or perhaps you know of some decent sources (though I'm not really aiming to learn it)? I know google translate is usually not to be trusted haha

Pinglist for future help:
@ ImpossibleJedi4
@ sddalek
image.pnglMoMteR.pngimage.png
@Chaos199, Ooh, I can help! I've studied Latin my whole life, and while I am not exactly fluent, I can definitely help! What type of thing are you trying to translate?
@Chaos199, Ooh, I can help! I've studied Latin my whole life, and while I am not exactly fluent, I can definitely help! What type of thing are you trying to translate?
tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o1_100.png _________asexual.png _________ tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o3_100.png
@ofkismetandkalon I'm writing a story with my bf in a medieval fantasy setting, and he thought up some foreign characters to introduce. I liked the idea, and they have a bit of dialogue (in the future I'll probably have even more Latin lines, but that will be forever from now and nothing's written down yet for it). My bf loves Latin thanks to For Honor, so we chose that as their native tongue, and I think it fits the fantasy-medieval setting pretty well. I basically just have a few sentences that need to be in Latin Oh, and thank you so much for replying [emoji=gaoler love size=2]
@ofkismetandkalon I'm writing a story with my bf in a medieval fantasy setting, and he thought up some foreign characters to introduce. I liked the idea, and they have a bit of dialogue (in the future I'll probably have even more Latin lines, but that will be forever from now and nothing's written down yet for it). My bf loves Latin thanks to For Honor, so we chose that as their native tongue, and I think it fits the fantasy-medieval setting pretty well. I basically just have a few sentences that need to be in Latin

Oh, and thank you so much for replying
@Chaos199, no problem! I'll see what I can do! (It may not be perfect, because Latin grammar is.... interesting, to say the least, but I'll do my best!)
@Chaos199, no problem! I'll see what I can do! (It may not be perfect, because Latin grammar is.... interesting, to say the least, but I'll do my best!)
tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o1_100.png _________asexual.png _________ tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o3_100.png
@ofkismetandkalon Feel free to make grammar suggestions when necessary! I know other languages can have weird rules and such. And sorry if my replies are slow - I'm writing while I'm also on FR haha split attention!

The first one is easy (I would think, anyway), just one word: "Well?" Context-wise, it's a man speaking expectantly to his students, implying they should already be beginning to fight.

The next one is: “Thought you could sneak by me, did you?” Context: The main character tried sneaking past the mentor, who was watching his students fight. She needed to get past him to reach her captured friends. But he knew she was approaching, and waited until she was closer to swing down his sword and surprise her, also stopping her from proceeding.

Third: “Stand down, men. Let me see how he does against a seasoned fighter, and show you a thing or two while I’m at it.” The mentor decides he'll face the main character's friend himself, and initiates a duel, telling his students to observe.

Fourth: “She’s cutting them free!” The rules of the duel meant the main character had to wait for the fight to end. If her friend won, then the captured friends could be freed. But one of the students sees her trying to free her friends preemptively, and shouts.

Fifth: “Hold!” The trainer in reply to his students when they try to stop the main character. He won't allow them to hurt her yet, not unless she insists on breaking the rules.

Sixth: “Let them go.” The mentor concedes the fight, and lets his students know that they're letting the captives go.

Seventh: “Hethmial, sir? Are you certain?” Hethmial is the name of the mentor, and this is one of his students asking if he's certain about letting the captives free. A different student also says: “Is it wise to let them go free?”

Eight is a longer one: “We would do no good killing them so early in the mission. We keep a low profile. The less suspicion we raise, the more likely we will win this war.” Hethmial assuring his students of his decision to let the main character and the captives go free.

Sorry if giving context is annoying, I didn't know if it would help or not haha
@ofkismetandkalon Feel free to make grammar suggestions when necessary! I know other languages can have weird rules and such. And sorry if my replies are slow - I'm writing while I'm also on FR haha split attention!

The first one is easy (I would think, anyway), just one word: "Well?" Context-wise, it's a man speaking expectantly to his students, implying they should already be beginning to fight.

The next one is: “Thought you could sneak by me, did you?” Context: The main character tried sneaking past the mentor, who was watching his students fight. She needed to get past him to reach her captured friends. But he knew she was approaching, and waited until she was closer to swing down his sword and surprise her, also stopping her from proceeding.

Third: “Stand down, men. Let me see how he does against a seasoned fighter, and show you a thing or two while I’m at it.” The mentor decides he'll face the main character's friend himself, and initiates a duel, telling his students to observe.

Fourth: “She’s cutting them free!” The rules of the duel meant the main character had to wait for the fight to end. If her friend won, then the captured friends could be freed. But one of the students sees her trying to free her friends preemptively, and shouts.

Fifth: “Hold!” The trainer in reply to his students when they try to stop the main character. He won't allow them to hurt her yet, not unless she insists on breaking the rules.

Sixth: “Let them go.” The mentor concedes the fight, and lets his students know that they're letting the captives go.

Seventh: “Hethmial, sir? Are you certain?” Hethmial is the name of the mentor, and this is one of his students asking if he's certain about letting the captives free. A different student also says: “Is it wise to let them go free?”

Eight is a longer one: “We would do no good killing them so early in the mission. We keep a low profile. The less suspicion we raise, the more likely we will win this war.” Hethmial assuring his students of his decision to let the main character and the captives go free.

Sorry if giving context is annoying, I didn't know if it would help or not haha
@Chaos199, okay, I'll do my best! And I absolutely appreciate the context, because some of these are more modern terms and I'll have to find the closest equivalent that I can based on the context. Thank you!
@Chaos199, okay, I'll do my best! And I absolutely appreciate the context, because some of these are more modern terms and I'll have to find the closest equivalent that I can based on the context. Thank you!
I might be able to help!
I might be able to help!
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@ImpossibleJedi4 I replied above with some lines, but if you're alright with pings in the future (could be months from now, just so you know haha writing isn't a very fast thing!), I would appreciate all the help I can get [emoji=gaoler laughing size=2] @Notepad Thank you so much! If @/ofkismetandkalon is alright with the assistance, I would so appreciate it. But I also won't hesitate to ping you in the future! I know Latin will appear again, and though it may take a long time to get there (the storyline is still being planned out, and we haven't even gotten to making any real plot points yet) there's going to be a part where Latin will be used much more frequently, because the main character will be around it a lot during their mission. I'm kinda nervous about it, since Latin isn't the easiest language, but I like the sounds of it so I'm sticking to it haha
@ImpossibleJedi4 I replied above with some lines, but if you're alright with pings in the future (could be months from now, just so you know haha writing isn't a very fast thing!), I would appreciate all the help I can get

@Notepad Thank you so much! If @/ofkismetandkalon is alright with the assistance, I would so appreciate it. But I also won't hesitate to ping you in the future! I know Latin will appear again, and though it may take a long time to get there (the storyline is still being planned out, and we haven't even gotten to making any real plot points yet) there's going to be a part where Latin will be used much more frequently, because the main character will be around it a lot during their mission. I'm kinda nervous about it, since Latin isn't the easiest language, but I like the sounds of it so I'm sticking to it haha
@Chaos199, okay, here goes:

For the first one, the closest thing that I can find is 'age'. It's an interjection, and it's the closest Latin word that I know for well used in that way.

Second one: "Nonne ab mihi putavisti repseras?" was the closest I could get. It translates roughly to "You thought you would sneak by me, didn't you?"

For the third one (this one is definitely not perfect, but it's as close as I could get: "subsistete, vidam quomodo manet contra doctior pugnator, et ostendam tu res aut duo interea."

Roughly translates to: "Stop(plural imperative, so it covers the 'men'), let me see how he endures/remains against a skilled fighter, and show you a thing or two meanwhile."

For the fourth one: (This is probably bad grammar on my part, but:) "liberos eos secit!"
(She is cutting them free!")

For the fifth one: "Habete!" (You all hold!)

Sixth: "Cedant!" was the closest I could get, although without context it could also be translated to "Give way!"

For the seventh you could say either "Hethmial, domne? Cerusne es?" then "Estne prudens dimittere eum?" (Is it wise to send them away?)

And eight: "Nihil bonum faceramus eos occidere tam citus in missione. Servimus absconditus ipsi. Minus suspicio tollimus, amlius probablilis vincemus hic bellum."

"We will do no good killing them so quickly in the mission. We keep ourselves secret. (That was the closest equivalent I could find for keeping a low profile) The less suspicion we raise, the more probable we will win this war."

I'm sorry that not all of these are perfect, but I hope they help!
@Chaos199, okay, here goes:

For the first one, the closest thing that I can find is 'age'. It's an interjection, and it's the closest Latin word that I know for well used in that way.

Second one: "Nonne ab mihi putavisti repseras?" was the closest I could get. It translates roughly to "You thought you would sneak by me, didn't you?"

For the third one (this one is definitely not perfect, but it's as close as I could get: "subsistete, vidam quomodo manet contra doctior pugnator, et ostendam tu res aut duo interea."

Roughly translates to: "Stop(plural imperative, so it covers the 'men'), let me see how he endures/remains against a skilled fighter, and show you a thing or two meanwhile."

For the fourth one: (This is probably bad grammar on my part, but:) "liberos eos secit!"
(She is cutting them free!")

For the fifth one: "Habete!" (You all hold!)

Sixth: "Cedant!" was the closest I could get, although without context it could also be translated to "Give way!"

For the seventh you could say either "Hethmial, domne? Cerusne es?" then "Estne prudens dimittere eum?" (Is it wise to send them away?)

And eight: "Nihil bonum faceramus eos occidere tam citus in missione. Servimus absconditus ipsi. Minus suspicio tollimus, amlius probablilis vincemus hic bellum."

"We will do no good killing them so quickly in the mission. We keep ourselves secret. (That was the closest equivalent I could find for keeping a low profile) The less suspicion we raise, the more probable we will win this war."

I'm sorry that not all of these are perfect, but I hope they help!
@ofkismetandkalon That is so cool! I really appreciate that you showed how the sentences changed with the difference in language! Thank you so so much, this means a lot :D

I'm geeking out haha I just think this is really neat
@ofkismetandkalon That is so cool! I really appreciate that you showed how the sentences changed with the difference in language! Thank you so so much, this means a lot :D

I'm geeking out haha I just think this is really neat
1 2