Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Sewing!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Amura
The Zora Armor is such a cool project! I have made armor before and it is really fun. It can take a while to do if you want it really detailed, but it is worth it in the end. I hope everything goes well for you, and that you enjoy it good luck!
@Amura
The Zora Armor is such a cool project! I have made armor before and it is really fun. It can take a while to do if you want it really detailed, but it is worth it in the end. I hope everything goes well for you, and that you enjoy it good luck!
tumblr_inline_njviw527Mu1qg2i5p.png
I love sewing, and I reguarly make simple stuffies for me and my friends
I love sewing, and I reguarly make simple stuffies for me and my friends
Art Shop! We're Open!
When I was a kid, I hated sewing. In the past year, I've gotten obsessed with quilting, though! I'm a vet student and don't have a lot of time, but it's a nice outlet. :)
When I was a kid, I hated sewing. In the past year, I've gotten obsessed with quilting, though! I'm a vet student and don't have a lot of time, but it's a nice outlet. :)
@Skydragons

You've done armor before?! Might you have any tips? ;-; I'm working with project foam. (The soft kind, not Styrofoam) And I am SO new to any type of carving.
@Skydragons

You've done armor before?! Might you have any tips? ;-; I'm working with project foam. (The soft kind, not Styrofoam) And I am SO new to any type of carving.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
@DraconisFilia

Oh! Let me know what you get. ;)

@ofkismetandkalon

Oh, that's cool. (Got any pics? ;P)

What types of dolls do you make?
@DraconisFilia

Oh! Let me know what you get. ;)

@ofkismetandkalon

Oh, that's cool. (Got any pics? ;P)

What types of dolls do you make?
SYJDX48.png
@DawnSky101

What types of stuffies? :)
@DawnSky101

What types of stuffies? :)
SYJDX48.png
@dystopia

(I love your username)

A part of me is aghast that you could hate sewing but logical side of me can see why younger you may have hated sewing. It takes a lot of patience and passion to want to keep it up. If you don't have the passion, I can see it being a chore.

Quilting is cool. It's time-consuming. How many quilts have you made? Any style you like in particular? Or just any and all?
@dystopia

(I love your username)

A part of me is aghast that you could hate sewing but logical side of me can see why younger you may have hated sewing. It takes a lot of patience and passion to want to keep it up. If you don't have the passion, I can see it being a chore.

Quilting is cool. It's time-consuming. How many quilts have you made? Any style you like in particular? Or just any and all?
SYJDX48.png
@bloodyangel12, I probably do have pictures, but I don’t know how to put them on here. It’s usually cloth dolls of all different types!
@bloodyangel12, I probably do have pictures, but I don’t know how to put them on here. It’s usually cloth dolls of all different types!
tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o1_100.png _________asexual.png _________ tumblr_psop43zu2D1ugssd3o3_100.png
@Amura
If you are planning on shaping/molding the foam it is very important to have a heat gun. I have tried using a hairdryer but it does not get hot enough to mold the foam, but a heat gun does the trick. What method are you going to use to carve your foam? I personally used an exacto knife. You are going to need a sharp blade to cut the foam so be careful when using one. I would recommend going slow so you can make the cleanest cuts possible. Also Foam will wear a blade down quite fast so have a few extras on hand. If you can lightly draw out were you are going to carve on the foam before you start cutting that will help you as well. And when cutting the pieces out for the armor itself cut them bigger than you think you can always make it smaller but can't make it bigger (I have made things too small myself so always go bigger than you thing). Once you are done with all the carving you need to seal your foam before you paint. I use Mod Podge for this. Once it is sealed you can do all your painting and weathering to make your armor look realistic. Would recommend painting multiple layers before weathering. Then when you have finished all the painting and weathering you should seal it again. Once again I used Mod Podge. For this I do multiple layers as well. If you have any other question feel free to ask. I hope this helps and good luck!
@Amura
If you are planning on shaping/molding the foam it is very important to have a heat gun. I have tried using a hairdryer but it does not get hot enough to mold the foam, but a heat gun does the trick. What method are you going to use to carve your foam? I personally used an exacto knife. You are going to need a sharp blade to cut the foam so be careful when using one. I would recommend going slow so you can make the cleanest cuts possible. Also Foam will wear a blade down quite fast so have a few extras on hand. If you can lightly draw out were you are going to carve on the foam before you start cutting that will help you as well. And when cutting the pieces out for the armor itself cut them bigger than you think you can always make it smaller but can't make it bigger (I have made things too small myself so always go bigger than you thing). Once you are done with all the carving you need to seal your foam before you paint. I use Mod Podge for this. Once it is sealed you can do all your painting and weathering to make your armor look realistic. Would recommend painting multiple layers before weathering. Then when you have finished all the painting and weathering you should seal it again. Once again I used Mod Podge. For this I do multiple layers as well. If you have any other question feel free to ask. I hope this helps and good luck!
tumblr_inline_njviw527Mu1qg2i5p.png
I used to hand sew stuffed animals for myself, but I stopped when I realized that the fabric I had just wasn't cutting it, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on minky fabric just for a small hobby. So I haven't done it for a long time.
I used to hand sew stuffed animals for myself, but I stopped when I realized that the fabric I had just wasn't cutting it, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on minky fabric just for a small hobby. So I haven't done it for a long time.
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9