Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | When you wanna make a D&D Character...
1 2
[quote name="ThatOneSandwing" date="2018-09-06 13:10:33" ] I’m so happy to see you! [/quote] Considering the thread, I envisioned the italic part of your post to play out like this: [img]https://i.imgur.com/s1CXwB2.gif[/img]
ThatOneSandwing wrote on 2018-09-06 13:10:33:
I’m so happy to see you!

Considering the thread, I envisioned the italic part of your post to play out like this:
s1CXwB2.gif
Formerly known as Brenning.
It's par for the course that your first few D&D characters are going to suck. It's just going to happen, and it's okay. It's part of growing.

Speaking of growing, the best way to make a character is to start with a simple concept, and then grow from there. The WORST mistake you can make with making a character is making them a complete character without any room to grow. saying that they're a half elf ranger who hates society and is angry about her mistreatment and always will be without ever changing makes her boring. a fighter who is greedy and wants only gold and never learns to care about his party members is boring.

start at the beginning of their story, level one is a new adventurer. They're learning as time goes on. level 1 in a class is the beginning of the road. They don't know everything. They're not infallible. There will be mistakes and screw ups, don't get caught up in personal pride trying to play a power fantasy. Players throwing fits because "Well, MY characters wouldn't DO that!" ruins the game for everyone. Don't think about why you wouldn't do something, think about why you WOULD.

Be open to winding up with a totally different character than what you started with over the course of the game. It's like a real person growing from mistakes and triumphs. Don't worry about writing a complete character.

idk this is really meandering but this is stuff i've learned over the course of making characters and playing.
It's par for the course that your first few D&D characters are going to suck. It's just going to happen, and it's okay. It's part of growing.

Speaking of growing, the best way to make a character is to start with a simple concept, and then grow from there. The WORST mistake you can make with making a character is making them a complete character without any room to grow. saying that they're a half elf ranger who hates society and is angry about her mistreatment and always will be without ever changing makes her boring. a fighter who is greedy and wants only gold and never learns to care about his party members is boring.

start at the beginning of their story, level one is a new adventurer. They're learning as time goes on. level 1 in a class is the beginning of the road. They don't know everything. They're not infallible. There will be mistakes and screw ups, don't get caught up in personal pride trying to play a power fantasy. Players throwing fits because "Well, MY characters wouldn't DO that!" ruins the game for everyone. Don't think about why you wouldn't do something, think about why you WOULD.

Be open to winding up with a totally different character than what you started with over the course of the game. It's like a real person growing from mistakes and triumphs. Don't worry about writing a complete character.

idk this is really meandering but this is stuff i've learned over the course of making characters and playing.
actually five generic seekers in a combiner coat
@Angel614

Don't forget the problem of when you
  • Make a character with the worst habits (i.e. problem drinking, seducing)
  • Give him extra compassion and make him the responsible dad friend
  • And he's only in his early twenties
  • With at least one scrappy teenager tagging behind
  • REALIZE YOU'VE JUST MADE A TERMINIAN COUNTERPART OF A TERMINIAN COUNTERPART
  • I N C E P T I O N

• Oh and this one has BEEF BEYOND COMPARE
  • And a guitar
@Angel614

Don't forget the problem of when you
  • Make a character with the worst habits (i.e. problem drinking, seducing)
  • Give him extra compassion and make him the responsible dad friend
  • And he's only in his early twenties
  • With at least one scrappy teenager tagging behind
  • REALIZE YOU'VE JUST MADE A TERMINIAN COUNTERPART OF A TERMINIAN COUNTERPART
  • I N C E P T I O N

• Oh and this one has BEEF BEYOND COMPARE
  • And a guitar
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
@Angel614

..and my character is the “scrappy teenager” mentioned by @LoversMasque

But yeah, I have a very intelligent and scrawny 14-year-old Tiefling with moderate anger issues. He was also a jester and a thief at some point. Definitely have fun with your characters!
@Angel614

..and my character is the “scrappy teenager” mentioned by @LoversMasque

But yeah, I have a very intelligent and scrawny 14-year-old Tiefling with moderate anger issues. He was also a jester and a thief at some point. Definitely have fun with your characters!
801128-C0-8-C7-A-4640-98-E6-A1-B6-EC0-A3-A60.png
tumblr_inline_ou7qgsczGB1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6ky5FlX1r2ao8y_540.png
Emerald
She/Her
FR+0
tumblr_inline_ojq6ky5FlX1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ou7qgsczGB1r2ao8y_540.png
7-DE5099-A-45-E5-4-CE6-B24-D-E8696-F7385-FA.png
my wishlist
my bio
1 2