Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Great Library!
1 2
Shining red wings flutter and the Librarian dashes through and piles up a small stack of new books added to the library archives and adds a few new dots to the notice board of other fangroups of choice interest for avid readers.
Shining red wings flutter and the Librarian dashes through and piles up a small stack of new books added to the library archives and adds a few new dots to the notice board of other fangroups of choice interest for avid readers.
The Great Library
Come share your favourite books and find some more to read!
[center] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/91006/9100589.png[/img] [i] A Nocturne swoops down, grinning cheerfully "Hi! I'm Owl. I've got a really great book series recommendation!":[/i] [b]Throne of Glass series - Sarah J. Maas[/b] This series follows a fiery assassin by the name of Celaena Sardothien. Her story starts when she's pulled from Endovier, a brutal salt mine. She learns that she's to compete in a competition to be the king's assassin, and thus begins her adventure. This series is chock full of thrill, heartbreak, love, and loyalty. A must read for fantasy lovers. (Fantasy)
9100589.png

A Nocturne swoops down, grinning cheerfully "Hi! I'm Owl. I've got a really great book series recommendation!":

Throne of Glass series - Sarah J. Maas

This series follows a fiery assassin by the name of Celaena Sardothien. Her story starts when she's pulled from Endovier, a brutal salt mine. She learns that she's to compete in a competition to be the king's assassin, and thus begins her adventure. This series is chock full of thrill, heartbreak, love, and loyalty. A must read for fantasy lovers. (Fantasy)
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan?
Children's fantasy:
The House on Falling Star Hill by Michael Molloy
Chrestomanci Series by Diana Wynne Jones but I only read Charmed Life
Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan?
Children's fantasy:
The House on Falling Star Hill by Michael Molloy
Chrestomanci Series by Diana Wynne Jones but I only read Charmed Life
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
A young Skydancer clumsily flutters into the Library, taking care not to knock anything over with his large wings. He has a satchel full of books draped over his shoulder.
  • "Declare" by Tim Powers. Supernatural spy thriller about a WWII veteran who returns to his work in the British secret service in 1963, when it's discovered that there are otherworldly forces manipulating the Cold War.
  • "The Girls In The Garden" by Lisa Jewel. Mystery novel about a mother who moves to a gated community with her two daughters after their father suffers a schizophrenic break, only to find that their new home may be even more dangerous for her children than their old one.
  • "Shadowshaper" by Daniel José Older. YA fantasy about a teenage girl living in New York City who finds her graffiti artwork is taking on a life of it's own. Literally.
A young Skydancer clumsily flutters into the Library, taking care not to knock anything over with his large wings. He has a satchel full of books draped over his shoulder.
  • "Declare" by Tim Powers. Supernatural spy thriller about a WWII veteran who returns to his work in the British secret service in 1963, when it's discovered that there are otherworldly forces manipulating the Cold War.
  • "The Girls In The Garden" by Lisa Jewel. Mystery novel about a mother who moves to a gated community with her two daughters after their father suffers a schizophrenic break, only to find that their new home may be even more dangerous for her children than their old one.
  • "Shadowshaper" by Daniel José Older. YA fantasy about a teenage girl living in New York City who finds her graffiti artwork is taking on a life of it's own. Literally.
kj3UjDv.jpg
@Overread just a heads up, the fever series is an adult fantasy series not YA and has some mature scenes (just in case you want to put a warning next to it)
@Overread just a heads up, the fever series is an adult fantasy series not YA and has some mature scenes (just in case you want to put a warning next to it)
@Altariel - thanks for the heads up! :)
Got the Librarian to sweep out a section of dusty shelves and put that book into a mature reader section to be added too with other titles.
@Altariel - thanks for the heads up! :)
Got the Librarian to sweep out a section of dusty shelves and put that book into a mature reader section to be added too with other titles.
The Great Library
Come share your favourite books and find some more to read!
@Overread ((I really hope this is still active?)) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46625644] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/466257/46625644.png[/img] [/url] A young Pearlcatcher swoops into the hall and timidly approaches the librarian. In a bulging pouch at his side a few well-kept tomes can be glimpsed, resting comfortably against the dragon's pearl. "Nobody in my lair will be using these, so I guess you can have them, "He mumbles as, in nearly trembling claws he grips the covers. Hesitantly, he offers what to him is surely a grand treasure. "I, uhh, memorized them already, so I won't be needing them either. So, take good care of them?" With a short bow of the head and a shy glance, he turns back and leaves through the great doors. [center]-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-[/center] [b]The Final Empire[/b], by Brandon Sanderson In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more? In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage — Allomancy, a magic of the metals. [center]-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-[/center] [b]The Way of Kings[/b], by Brandon Sanderson From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, Book One of the Stormlight Archive begins an incredible new saga of epic proportion. Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter. It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them. One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable. Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity. Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war. The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making. Speak again the ancient oaths: [i]Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before Destination.[/i] and return to men the Shards they once bore. The Knights Radiant must stand again. [center]-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-[/center] [b]War of the Ancients Trilogy[/b], by Richard A. Knaak (A World of Warcraft Lorebook, but still understandable by non-players, I [i]think[/i]) Months have passed since the cataclysmic Battle of Mount Hyjal, which put an end to the Burning Legion's invasion. Most Legion forces on Azeroth have been slain or driven into hiding. Yet now a mysterious energy rift in the mountains of Kalimdor propels three heroes to the distant past: the dragon mage Krasus, the human wizard Rhonin, and the weathered orc veteran Broxigar. It is a time long before orcs, humans, or even high elves roamed the world. A time that marks the Legion's first invasion of Azeroth, brought about by Queen Azshara and other night elf nobles. A time when the Dragon Aspects are at the height of their power -- unaware that one of their own will soon turn on the world he was charged to protect.
@Overread
((I really hope this is still active?))

46625644.png

A young Pearlcatcher swoops into the hall and timidly approaches the librarian. In a bulging pouch at his side a few well-kept tomes can be glimpsed, resting comfortably against the dragon's pearl.

"Nobody in my lair will be using these, so I guess you can have them, "He mumbles as, in nearly trembling claws he grips the covers. Hesitantly, he offers what to him is surely a grand treasure. "I, uhh, memorized them already, so I won't be needing them either. So, take good care of them?" With a short bow of the head and a shy glance, he turns back and leaves through the great doors.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson

In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage — Allomancy, a magic of the metals.

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, Book One of the Stormlight Archive begins an incredible new saga of epic proportion.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths:

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

War of the Ancients Trilogy, by Richard A. Knaak
(A World of Warcraft Lorebook, but still understandable by non-players, I think)

Months have passed since the cataclysmic Battle of Mount Hyjal, which put an end to the Burning Legion's invasion. Most Legion forces on Azeroth have been slain or driven into hiding. Yet now a mysterious energy rift in the mountains of Kalimdor propels three heroes to the distant past: the dragon mage Krasus, the human wizard Rhonin, and the weathered orc veteran Broxigar. It is a time long before orcs, humans, or even high elves roamed the world. A time that marks the Legion's first invasion of Azeroth, brought about by Queen Azshara and other night elf nobles. A time when the Dragon Aspects are at the height of their power -- unaware that one of their own will soon turn on the world he was charged to protect.
1 2