Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | thoughts on 'gamers'?
1 2 3 4
as a gamer, i gotta say -- we're horrible. all of us. no exceptions.
cruwJG.png
[quote name="arizonagreentea" date=2017-10-13 13:56:56] as a gamer, i gotta say -- we're horrible. all of us. no exceptions. [/quote] out of all the things said on this thread, this one speaks to me the loudest. XD but to be serious, you all made me feel a lot better about playing video games! they can be harmful to your life if you're not careful with it, but then again.. isn't almost everything..? i do take care of myself and do help my family around the house. so playing isn't affecting my life in a bad way all that much. i think one of the reasons why they don't like my hobby is because i talk about it "so much".. but i barely do talk about it because i know it's something they all don't feel the same way about it. it really hurts when someone gets upset over someone else's passion. but because of what everyone said here, i do feel a lot better! so thank you all so much <3
arizonagreentea wrote on 2017-10-13:
out of all the things said on this thread, this one speaks to me the loudest. XD

but to be serious, you all made me feel a lot better about playing video games! they can be harmful to your life if you're not careful with it, but then again.. isn't almost everything..? i do take care of myself and do help my family around the house. so playing isn't affecting my life in a bad way all that much.

i think one of the reasons why they don't like my hobby is because i talk about it "so much".. but i barely do talk about it because i know it's something they all don't feel the same way about it. it really hurts when someone gets upset over someone else's passion. but because of what everyone said here, i do feel a lot better! so thank you all so much <3
i'm usually subscribed to threads i make but it's fine if you ping me
1Wa1sIi.gif
Too much of anything is too much.

I personally love video games! I have video game merchandise in my room and listen to a lot of video game soundtracks. There's nothing wrong with enjoying games, despite their bad reputation. I've had people tell me I'm a bad person for liking video games when they read a lot of books. Like, what's the difference? Both are typically fiction. Neither one of them will have any real impact on your life. Both are time-consumers. Both are forms of media. The only difference is that you interact with video games by controlling the characters. So when bookworms tell me I'm a bad person for liking video games, I just ask them how much of a difference THEY'RE making in THEIR life by reading a bunch of books. I have absolutely no problem with reading either, but just leave me and my hobbies alone.

That being said, when games become an addiction, then it becomes a problem. I've seen what gaming addictions do, and believe me, it ain't pretty. I don't consider myself a gaming addict, because I use plenty of my time to visit with family, get work done, and just generally get outside. But again, too much of ANYTHING is too much. If you're playing too many video games and neglecting your life because of them, then perhaps it's time to take a break. Games are perfectly fine to have as hobbies! But don't let them consume your life. Only you can decide on how far you're going to take it. When conserved to just a hobby, games are extremely satisfying and can be used as an excellent coping mechanism.

Although really, if anyone on here of all sites is totally anti-gamer, I just need to ask with all due respect.... lol what are you doing here?
Too much of anything is too much.

I personally love video games! I have video game merchandise in my room and listen to a lot of video game soundtracks. There's nothing wrong with enjoying games, despite their bad reputation. I've had people tell me I'm a bad person for liking video games when they read a lot of books. Like, what's the difference? Both are typically fiction. Neither one of them will have any real impact on your life. Both are time-consumers. Both are forms of media. The only difference is that you interact with video games by controlling the characters. So when bookworms tell me I'm a bad person for liking video games, I just ask them how much of a difference THEY'RE making in THEIR life by reading a bunch of books. I have absolutely no problem with reading either, but just leave me and my hobbies alone.

That being said, when games become an addiction, then it becomes a problem. I've seen what gaming addictions do, and believe me, it ain't pretty. I don't consider myself a gaming addict, because I use plenty of my time to visit with family, get work done, and just generally get outside. But again, too much of ANYTHING is too much. If you're playing too many video games and neglecting your life because of them, then perhaps it's time to take a break. Games are perfectly fine to have as hobbies! But don't let them consume your life. Only you can decide on how far you're going to take it. When conserved to just a hobby, games are extremely satisfying and can be used as an excellent coping mechanism.

Although really, if anyone on here of all sites is totally anti-gamer, I just need to ask with all due respect.... lol what are you doing here?
eg1jZa2.png
My mom hates it when I play games but my dad doesnt care that I play games all the time and my dad allowes me to get a gaming laptop to play games all the time. I remember the day before I moved this year my dad was going to turn off the internet and he watched me play a round of overwatch and left it on for the night.
My mom hates it when I play games but my dad doesnt care that I play games all the time and my dad allowes me to get a gaming laptop to play games all the time. I remember the day before I moved this year my dad was going to turn off the internet and he watched me play a round of overwatch and left it on for the night.
94gCA.gifIehlz.gifZsfOh.gifUsAd2.gif
1_orig.png
94gCA.gif
This thread reminded me of something that happened to me at one of my temp jobs. I had been working with this other temp for a few days and we got to talking about hobbies and things. I said I liked video games and she immediately replied, "Are you one of those people who stays at home playing Warcraft all day and doesn't have a job?" I couldn't even think of a proper answer so I just said "Obviously not because I'm here, at my job..." Like ??? Even now I don't know what she expected!
This thread reminded me of something that happened to me at one of my temp jobs. I had been working with this other temp for a few days and we got to talking about hobbies and things. I said I liked video games and she immediately replied, "Are you one of those people who stays at home playing Warcraft all day and doesn't have a job?" I couldn't even think of a proper answer so I just said "Obviously not because I'm here, at my job..." Like ??? Even now I don't know what she expected!
I feel half dead for clicking circles all day..

(yes, this is osu!)
I feel half dead for clicking circles all day..

(yes, this is osu!)
proty_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pnfz.pnghumbee_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pngb.pngjorge_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pnfh.png
It's not a waste of time if you're having fun. Some of those people telling you it's a waste of time probably spend their day watching T.V, which is just as much of a waste of time as video games. Same thing with reading, or drawing, or pretty much any hobby. Honestly, we all need to sit back and have fun sometimes, life would be boring otherwise imo.

As long as you're taking care of yourself, it's not a waste of time, it's a way to entertain yourself.
It's not a waste of time if you're having fun. Some of those people telling you it's a waste of time probably spend their day watching T.V, which is just as much of a waste of time as video games. Same thing with reading, or drawing, or pretty much any hobby. Honestly, we all need to sit back and have fun sometimes, life would be boring otherwise imo.

As long as you're taking care of yourself, it's not a waste of time, it's a way to entertain yourself.
I get concerned when people start talking about gaming negatively, minus the obvious. playing video games too much clearly isn't healthy. but if you're taking care of yourself and leaving your house when you need to, then whatever. who cares? also, it's not a waste of time. that mentality really, really, really needs to stop.
I'm a gamer, I suppose. tho I spend less time playing games than watching others play them. except I've also majorly cut down on that recently, which has had only positive effects, thankfully. but I haven't found much else to be interested in or do, so having other hobbies doesn't really speak to me. I like other things and have other interests, but nothing that really makes for a hobby.
I get concerned when people start talking about gaming negatively, minus the obvious. playing video games too much clearly isn't healthy. but if you're taking care of yourself and leaving your house when you need to, then whatever. who cares? also, it's not a waste of time. that mentality really, really, really needs to stop.
I'm a gamer, I suppose. tho I spend less time playing games than watching others play them. except I've also majorly cut down on that recently, which has had only positive effects, thankfully. but I haven't found much else to be interested in or do, so having other hobbies doesn't really speak to me. I like other things and have other interests, but nothing that really makes for a hobby.
underbelly stays winning

they/them | +2 FR time
Studies have shown that gamers develop some skills non-gamers dont, like faster reflexes, creativity, etc. Plus it reduces stress (mostly, except when on really competitive games) and lets you forget all the beep going in the world or in your life. Plus there's SO many different games out there for everyone's likings, I love fighting games like Naruto, Blazblue, KOF, I love The Sims, I love FR and Neopets, also like some shooting games and Need for Speed. Enjoy life and these little bits of happiness everyone ^^
Studies have shown that gamers develop some skills non-gamers dont, like faster reflexes, creativity, etc. Plus it reduces stress (mostly, except when on really competitive games) and lets you forget all the beep going in the world or in your life. Plus there's SO many different games out there for everyone's likings, I love fighting games like Naruto, Blazblue, KOF, I love The Sims, I love FR and Neopets, also like some shooting games and Need for Speed. Enjoy life and these little bits of happiness everyone ^^
QFXpYkj.png
It's a hobby like any other, too much is too much but otherwise go ahead

on the other hands I think there's a lot of issues within the """gamer community"""" but that's a completely different issue
It's a hobby like any other, too much is too much but otherwise go ahead

on the other hands I think there's a lot of issues within the """gamer community"""" but that's a completely different issue
wpEE9mo.png
1 2 3 4