Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | thoughts on 'gamers'?
1 2 3 4
Never liked the name, I always thought it sounded too silly. Can't really use Players in that advertisement though. I don't consider myself one; though I guess lately I have been playing a bit it doesn't really end up anything anyone else is playing.

Video Games are an extremely wide umbrella, and I think some are art and some aren't. You can bring up that a lot of games are obviously made only to reap in bucks through marketing, but then you would need to ask yourself if The Emoji Movie is art to compare.

Whatever, you do what makes you happy. Happiness is so elusive these days in the first place.
Never liked the name, I always thought it sounded too silly. Can't really use Players in that advertisement though. I don't consider myself one; though I guess lately I have been playing a bit it doesn't really end up anything anyone else is playing.

Video Games are an extremely wide umbrella, and I think some are art and some aren't. You can bring up that a lot of games are obviously made only to reap in bucks through marketing, but then you would need to ask yourself if The Emoji Movie is art to compare.

Whatever, you do what makes you happy. Happiness is so elusive these days in the first place.
My writing project.
I consider myself a gamer and I love playing video games to unwind! The thing is, I currently live in a town and community where there's a lot of gamers. I go to school with them, and it can be quite a puzzle to see people spend their time, their entire day and night sometimes, just playing games. I don't doubt you can learn from games, but there must be a limit somewhere. Obviously it can be frustrating too when a large portion of the class are never enthusiastic about the subjects because they just play games all day...

And honestly, I find it stupid to be around my age (late teen-early twenties) and spend like... 2k-8k dollars on a gaming pc, when it's basically a hobby thing. And then it needs to be updated every 2 years or so with expensive components. One guy had a component in his pc that cost equally as much as my ps4 had when it was brand new! I feel like I'm sometimes the only one who consider it a bad idea though... and especially when they borrow the money from their parents or don't have a job by the side. I mean, those money are like 4-5 months of rent! At least!

I'll admit, my own laptop was also expensive... but it was bought as a workstation and for school (thus a laptop). It has many games on it, but to be honest, I rarely ever play on it.

I consider myself a gamer and I love playing video games to unwind! The thing is, I currently live in a town and community where there's a lot of gamers. I go to school with them, and it can be quite a puzzle to see people spend their time, their entire day and night sometimes, just playing games. I don't doubt you can learn from games, but there must be a limit somewhere. Obviously it can be frustrating too when a large portion of the class are never enthusiastic about the subjects because they just play games all day...

And honestly, I find it stupid to be around my age (late teen-early twenties) and spend like... 2k-8k dollars on a gaming pc, when it's basically a hobby thing. And then it needs to be updated every 2 years or so with expensive components. One guy had a component in his pc that cost equally as much as my ps4 had when it was brand new! I feel like I'm sometimes the only one who consider it a bad idea though... and especially when they borrow the money from their parents or don't have a job by the side. I mean, those money are like 4-5 months of rent! At least!

I'll admit, my own laptop was also expensive... but it was bought as a workstation and for school (thus a laptop). It has many games on it, but to be honest, I rarely ever play on it.

Hy86VRp.png
» Elf Subs.
» Peryton Adopts
» Adopts
I don't have a problem, as long as you're taking care of yourself. And as long as you aren't elitist about it. It bothers me when Gamers demean people for playing on easy mode or whatever. Like... games are a hobby, unless you get really lucky. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not frustrating torture. Get over yourself.
I don't have a problem, as long as you're taking care of yourself. And as long as you aren't elitist about it. It bothers me when Gamers demean people for playing on easy mode or whatever. Like... games are a hobby, unless you get really lucky. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not frustrating torture. Get over yourself.
tumblr_o23mwcXPEZ1u3wsjco6_250.png 4f4c01ec3fcd06d45834f28097a7fb2be50dc3cf.png dEo6ta2.png
nbZE1po.png
5iXiC8z.png
V7wUqxW.png
bYt72YT.png
jbMLSIO.png

nGKuPIQ.gif
[quote name="BezimiennyRaptor" date=2017-10-11 05:59:58] Having fun playing games is "no-no", but spending entire day watching stupid programs on TV is the right thing to do. ??? [/quote] Okay I know I already posted a response to this thread buUUUUUT [i]EXACTLY[/i] To each their own though, but man it's super hypocritical saying on type of media consumption is a waste of time but YOURS is BETTER because you said so (yes I feel the same about the "I LIKE TO READ IN 2017" elitists).
BezimiennyRaptor wrote on 2017-10-11:
Having fun playing games is "no-no", but spending entire day watching stupid programs on TV is the right thing to do. ???
Okay I know I already posted a response to this thread buUUUUUT EXACTLY
To each their own though, but man it's super hypocritical saying on type of media consumption is a waste of time but YOURS is BETTER because you said so (yes I feel the same about the "I LIKE TO READ IN 2017" elitists).
oQlTGMl.png
I don't think anything is a total waste of time if you really enjoy it. Life is short and sometimes brutal, so when you have the opportunity to be happy you should take advantage of it!

That being said, I understand where they're coming from. I poured TONS of time and money into this one MMO only to have them switch servers. I lost everything. The time I spent getting to the level I was at was boring grinding, so I didn't even enjoy the process of getting there, and now I have nothing to show for the time and money I lost. It still stings! It made me realize you don't really own anything in a video game.
Ever since then I've tried to invest my time in things I can keep. Things that develop practical skills or skills for things I want to go into that are still fun! I want to go into art/comics, which is really competitive, so I allow FR because it incentivizes me to think about colors, draw and sell art (accents), and write, for example.

So it kind of depends on what you want to get out of life- if you have a career in mind you're passionate about, focusing on that might be a better investment of free time in the long run. But there's also nothing wrong with not having a competitive goal like that and just focusing on enjoying life, or socializing with others!
I don't think anything is a total waste of time if you really enjoy it. Life is short and sometimes brutal, so when you have the opportunity to be happy you should take advantage of it!

That being said, I understand where they're coming from. I poured TONS of time and money into this one MMO only to have them switch servers. I lost everything. The time I spent getting to the level I was at was boring grinding, so I didn't even enjoy the process of getting there, and now I have nothing to show for the time and money I lost. It still stings! It made me realize you don't really own anything in a video game.
Ever since then I've tried to invest my time in things I can keep. Things that develop practical skills or skills for things I want to go into that are still fun! I want to go into art/comics, which is really competitive, so I allow FR because it incentivizes me to think about colors, draw and sell art (accents), and write, for example.

So it kind of depends on what you want to get out of life- if you have a career in mind you're passionate about, focusing on that might be a better investment of free time in the long run. But there's also nothing wrong with not having a competitive goal like that and just focusing on enjoying life, or socializing with others!
Accent_Banner.pngHatchery_Banner.png
35674625.png36307371.png
I think playing video games is fine, as long as the person still does what they need to do in life. I don't think it's a waste of time and to me, there's no age limit to playing games. Anyway, I don't use the word 'gamer' much irl.
I think playing video games is fine, as long as the person still does what they need to do in life. I don't think it's a waste of time and to me, there's no age limit to playing games. Anyway, I don't use the word 'gamer' much irl.
Does that Pokemon fandragon exist yet? Check out this thread, where you can find Pokemon fandragons in one place :)
I game casually using my boyfriend's steam account, while he is more of an avid gamer.
I see nothing wrong with it. People judge, because those people probably do not enjoy video games. If you do not enjoy something then you'll find it a waste of time.
I draw, and I've been told since I was a young child that art is a waste of time and energy and is a useless "hobby". These people didn't like art, didn't understand reasoning for it and couldn't draw a stick man if they tried. I don't get mad anymore, because I'm sure they have things they enjoy that get criticized by others too.

Now, true if gaming takes up 24/7 of your life and your money, where you cannot hold a job, a stable life, income ect then yes you need to take a step back and analyze how you are living. There is a broad line between healthy and unhealthy though, and most gamers are well within healthy limits.
I game casually using my boyfriend's steam account, while he is more of an avid gamer.
I see nothing wrong with it. People judge, because those people probably do not enjoy video games. If you do not enjoy something then you'll find it a waste of time.
I draw, and I've been told since I was a young child that art is a waste of time and energy and is a useless "hobby". These people didn't like art, didn't understand reasoning for it and couldn't draw a stick man if they tried. I don't get mad anymore, because I'm sure they have things they enjoy that get criticized by others too.

Now, true if gaming takes up 24/7 of your life and your money, where you cannot hold a job, a stable life, income ect then yes you need to take a step back and analyze how you are living. There is a broad line between healthy and unhealthy though, and most gamers are well within healthy limits.
I'm very blunt and straightforward.
Yes, I never use any vistas.

For ease of access: She/Her.

Also I hoard the hyena familiars.
As an artist, I can tell you how easily most of us can get the comment of "You're wasting your time" for the things we enjoy. Just be sure to keep up on real life obligations, health, self care, etc! If you have lots of free time and nothing else interests you, play some video games! Immerse in the stories and designs and the like. It could become a career interest someday anyway. :D
As an artist, I can tell you how easily most of us can get the comment of "You're wasting your time" for the things we enjoy. Just be sure to keep up on real life obligations, health, self care, etc! If you have lots of free time and nothing else interests you, play some video games! Immerse in the stories and designs and the like. It could become a career interest someday anyway. :D
Yeah I play vidyaogames, destroyed my life but at least I had fun doing it.
Yeah I play vidyaogames, destroyed my life but at least I had fun doing it.
I'm not really much of a "gamer"; I don't play video games very often at all, and when I do it's extremely casual. The only game I play regularly and intensely is Minecraft, and mostly to hang out with my best friend who's too busy to ever play except on weekend mornings.

With that said, I love watching other people play video games on the computer. A lot of people condemn it for being a waste of time- which is incredibly stupid, because a lot of those same people are so obsessed with watching other people play games that they have hats with their favorite sports team and shout at the TV as though they're in some kind of cult. The only difference between them and me is their game only has two possible outcomes: Team A wins or Team B wins.

Video games are extremely variable; some are like team sports, others are sandboxes, many of them have plots and characters and other nifty stuff. In games like The Sims or ARK, pretty much anything can happen and hilarious stories can unfold completely by accident. Also, if you watch other people play them, you get the benefit of their commentary.

I don't have any particular opinion about gamers in general, although I've found Steam to be one of the most toxic, obnoxious, and elitist groups out there, at least its vocal members. I've met good people there, but in my experience (which may be connected with the sorts of games I play) those are few and far between.

I don't know what my point really was here, but yeah, those are my thoughts.
I'm not really much of a "gamer"; I don't play video games very often at all, and when I do it's extremely casual. The only game I play regularly and intensely is Minecraft, and mostly to hang out with my best friend who's too busy to ever play except on weekend mornings.

With that said, I love watching other people play video games on the computer. A lot of people condemn it for being a waste of time- which is incredibly stupid, because a lot of those same people are so obsessed with watching other people play games that they have hats with their favorite sports team and shout at the TV as though they're in some kind of cult. The only difference between them and me is their game only has two possible outcomes: Team A wins or Team B wins.

Video games are extremely variable; some are like team sports, others are sandboxes, many of them have plots and characters and other nifty stuff. In games like The Sims or ARK, pretty much anything can happen and hilarious stories can unfold completely by accident. Also, if you watch other people play them, you get the benefit of their commentary.

I don't have any particular opinion about gamers in general, although I've found Steam to be one of the most toxic, obnoxious, and elitist groups out there, at least its vocal members. I've met good people there, but in my experience (which may be connected with the sorts of games I play) those are few and far between.

I don't know what my point really was here, but yeah, those are my thoughts.
image.png
1 2 3 4