Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36 37
@Ison
That is an amazing specimen you got, I might cry if I ever got my hands on a skull like that

I can't possibly imagine the evolutionary benefit for those either, especially after seeing that one skull where the horn grew into the sheep's face and gave it a fatal infection? Like, I'd just assume the horns were artificial selection because humans wanted some totally bad *** looking sheep, but I guess that isn't even the case? Update me if you can find why nature decided that was a good idea lol
@Ison
That is an amazing specimen you got, I might cry if I ever got my hands on a skull like that

I can't possibly imagine the evolutionary benefit for those either, especially after seeing that one skull where the horn grew into the sheep's face and gave it a fatal infection? Like, I'd just assume the horns were artificial selection because humans wanted some totally bad *** looking sheep, but I guess that isn't even the case? Update me if you can find why nature decided that was a good idea lol
@LizardKing aaa i know, i was absolutely ecstatic to see it in the window and saw that i could afford it, i'd been saving up for a trip to the place i always buy from

right?? and if they do have some benefit, im not sure why they distort so badly and so commonly. apparently their origin is relatively unknown? still searching it up, i'll let you know for sure! lol
@LizardKing aaa i know, i was absolutely ecstatic to see it in the window and saw that i could afford it, i'd been saving up for a trip to the place i always buy from

right?? and if they do have some benefit, im not sure why they distort so badly and so commonly. apparently their origin is relatively unknown? still searching it up, i'll let you know for sure! lol
FR + 0 - pls click them! ->1ylpk1.pngvKOcx1.pnguCgqc1.pngunknown.png
Just popping in to post a couple of group photos of my current skull collection. It's spring cleaning season, and the shelves needed to be dusted, so all of the skull buddies had to be moved out of the way. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/5fa117f79e1e47f080a3df064c532794/tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o1_r9_540.png[/img] [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/9ee504222bc76c1701f59da4053457e2/tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o2_r1_1280.png[/img] [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/3d89fdc90882945a2a11295c41c32f53/tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o3_r1_1280.png[/img] Also, that's a stunning Jacob's sheep @Ison! Truly a lucky find!
Just popping in to post a couple of group photos of my current skull collection. It's spring cleaning season, and the shelves needed to be dusted, so all of the skull buddies had to be moved out of the way.

tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o1_r9_540.png

tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_p6ync3AvUQ1r7bfg9o3_r1_1280.png

Also, that's a stunning Jacob's sheep @Ison! Truly a lucky find!

wildclawbanner_by_canisalbus-d9p9e5l.png
@BeeFuzz Hello friend! :D I was just linked to this thread and would love to join! Username: @/ImpossibleJedi4 Collection: A coyote skull, raccoon(?) jawbone, deer vertebra, red fox tooth, mummified chipmunk tail, skunk teeth, a deer tooth, small bird wing bones, many many fossilized shark teeth, a fossilized herbivore tooth, bluefish teeth, some other unknown fish bones, many dried butterflies and bugs (sadly poorly preserved), juvenile horseshoe crab shed shell, domestic cat tooth from my kitten when she lost her baby teeth XD All of these were found by me on beaches or the woods except the coyote skull, which was purchased Skills: Never tried to really work with anything myself, but I am extremely good at finding teeth and bones in nature Dream piece(s): Replica smilodon skull, some sort of car species skull, and as many different types of teeth (particularly carnivore) that I can get my hands on! Oh, and I also want to find a deer antler at least once in my lifetime :) Do you mind being pinged?: Nope! I love pings! This is my new coyote skull! His name is Avery and I love him. He's also a GREAT drawing reference! [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/410609598253367299/434837071572762634/image.jpg[/img] Planning on getting more things in the future when I move out of my parent's place, since that would not approve XD It's such a cool hobby though!
@BeeFuzz Hello friend! :D I was just linked to this thread and would love to join!

Username: @/ImpossibleJedi4
Collection: A coyote skull, raccoon(?) jawbone, deer vertebra, red fox tooth, mummified chipmunk tail, skunk teeth, a deer tooth, small bird wing bones, many many fossilized shark teeth, a fossilized herbivore tooth, bluefish teeth, some other unknown fish bones, many dried butterflies and bugs (sadly poorly preserved), juvenile horseshoe crab shed shell, domestic cat tooth from my kitten when she lost her baby teeth XD All of these were found by me on beaches or the woods except the coyote skull, which was purchased
Skills: Never tried to really work with anything myself, but I am extremely good at finding teeth and bones in nature
Dream piece(s): Replica smilodon skull, some sort of car species skull, and as many different types of teeth (particularly carnivore) that I can get my hands on! Oh, and I also want to find a deer antler at least once in my lifetime :)
Do you mind being pinged?: Nope! I love pings!

This is my new coyote skull! His name is Avery and I love him. He's also a GREAT drawing reference!
image.jpg

Planning on getting more things in the future when I move out of my parent's place, since that would not approve XD It's such a cool hobby though!
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@CanisAlbus [i]damn[/i] that is an impressive collection. what is that, over 50 skulls? just gorgeous jeez .......... So, a few days ago my college had a bunch of local wildlife-type booths set up for Earth day, and I met the most unique little guy! [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/GJ5uZyc.jpg[/img][/center] Met Howdy! Or Howey. Something like that. He is a taxidermy Florida burrowing owl. I can only imagine there aren't too many of those, being they are very protected. But Howdy didn't make it out of surgery, so they decided to use him as an ambassador instead of a live one that would have to endure the stress of it all.
@CanisAlbus

damn that is an impressive collection. what is that, over 50 skulls? just gorgeous jeez

So, a few days ago my college had a bunch of local wildlife-type booths set up for Earth day, and I met the most unique little guy!
GJ5uZyc.jpg
Met Howdy! Or Howey. Something like that. He is a taxidermy Florida burrowing owl. I can only imagine there aren't too many of those, being they are very protected. But Howdy didn't make it out of surgery, so they decided to use him as an ambassador instead of a live one that would have to endure the stress of it all.
@LizardKing
That's awesome! :D Must've been so cool to see in person. That really is a good idea for endangered animals to bring awareness to them; there are of course going to be individuals that die of natural causes, taxidermy-ing them and turning them into an exhibit that people can examine at close range is really awesome
@LizardKing
That's awesome! :D Must've been so cool to see in person. That really is a good idea for endangered animals to bring awareness to them; there are of course going to be individuals that die of natural causes, taxidermy-ing them and turning them into an exhibit that people can examine at close range is really awesome
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png

Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@ImpossibleJedi4

If I ever professional become a taxidermist I'd love to work with education, they get licensed to taxiderm some awesome stuff
I've met live ambassador animals before (got to pet an opossum not too long ago), but tbh I think dead ones are a lot more practical. It's stressful for animals to deal with dozen of people ogling them, but mounts don't have to deal with that lol
Plus accidental deaths are always going to happen. Howdy certainly isn't the only protected animal that doesn't make it out of rehabilitation. It's making the best of a bad situation
@ImpossibleJedi4

If I ever professional become a taxidermist I'd love to work with education, they get licensed to taxiderm some awesome stuff
I've met live ambassador animals before (got to pet an opossum not too long ago), but tbh I think dead ones are a lot more practical. It's stressful for animals to deal with dozen of people ogling them, but mounts don't have to deal with that lol
Plus accidental deaths are always going to happen. Howdy certainly isn't the only protected animal that doesn't make it out of rehabilitation. It's making the best of a bad situation
@LizardKing
It definitely is more practical! Risking the life of an endagered species isn't worth it. Plus, if they're careful about it, people can actually touch a mount and stuff, no problem

Definitely! Animals, like people, just don't live forever, and if god forbid a species does go extinct, at least there will be stuffed versions to show what used to be as well.
@LizardKing
It definitely is more practical! Risking the life of an endagered species isn't worth it. Plus, if they're careful about it, people can actually touch a mount and stuff, no problem

Definitely! Animals, like people, just don't live forever, and if god forbid a species does go extinct, at least there will be stuffed versions to show what used to be as well.
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png

Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
So, I come with some interesting pieces today... lots of rogue taxidermy! First, some rats (or mice) made out of real animals fur/hide, but on their own more stylistic forms. My cousin gave these to me, his mom (my great aunt) had them, no idea where she got them. I did the flame test to confirm the hair is real, but you can also see the skin pretty clear. They aren't stuffed rats, as they clearly don't resemble the actual animals form and more likely than not only used a small part of the original skin. Who knows what animal was used on these guys, I don't even think they have rat skin on them: [center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/pUGsYoM.jpg[/img][/center] I also got a fantastic birthday present from kuchipatchis, and this little guy has to go down as one of my all time favorite specimien in all my dead collection: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/m69taGL.jpg[/img][/center] Meet Four Legs! He's a hilarious and delightful mash up taxidermy feeder chick (or chicks). The same seller also has some two headed siblings, where I'm assuming the other half of our four legged friend goes. I love him.
So, I come with some interesting pieces today... lots of rogue taxidermy!

First, some rats (or mice) made out of real animals fur/hide, but on their own more stylistic forms. My cousin gave these to me, his mom (my great aunt) had them, no idea where she got them. I did the flame test to confirm the hair is real, but you can also see the skin pretty clear. They aren't stuffed rats, as they clearly don't resemble the actual animals form and more likely than not only used a small part of the original skin. Who knows what animal was used on these guys, I don't even think they have rat skin on them:
pUGsYoM.jpg

I also got a fantastic birthday present from kuchipatchis, and this little guy has to go down as one of my all time favorite specimien in all my dead collection:
m69taGL.jpg
Meet Four Legs! He's a hilarious and delightful mash up taxidermy feeder chick (or chicks). The same seller also has some two headed siblings, where I'm assuming the other half of our four legged friend goes. I love him.
Thought you guys might like this; I drew my coyote skull the other day XD [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/353386863198994433/444347783080837121/Avery-skull.png[/img]
Thought you guys might like this; I drew my coyote skull the other day XD
Avery-skull.png
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png

Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36 37