Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Skipping School?
1 2 3 4 5 6
Wow everyone had like the opposite of my experience in high school...
I never skipped. Never. My school calls your parents immediately if you’re marked as missing from a class, and I was not down for that no sir. I did, however, take around 1/2 days off a month for illness or my period. Sometimes only half a day. If I forget to bring painkillers or am otherwise unprepared on day 1, pretty much gotta go home. Sometimes I had painkillers but the pain was still too much. But I never skipped. Starting grade 11 I had spares(free period) and that was more than enough free time for me. I also had to take a bus for over an hour to get to school in the morning so skipping didn’t feel worth it.

As for Uni, I only skipped on days I felt unwell. I actually find going to school less stressful. I don’t really have a friend group to hang around with, or engaging hobbies, so school is what brings order to my life.

I would skip school for special events however.
Wow everyone had like the opposite of my experience in high school...
I never skipped. Never. My school calls your parents immediately if you’re marked as missing from a class, and I was not down for that no sir. I did, however, take around 1/2 days off a month for illness or my period. Sometimes only half a day. If I forget to bring painkillers or am otherwise unprepared on day 1, pretty much gotta go home. Sometimes I had painkillers but the pain was still too much. But I never skipped. Starting grade 11 I had spares(free period) and that was more than enough free time for me. I also had to take a bus for over an hour to get to school in the morning so skipping didn’t feel worth it.

As for Uni, I only skipped on days I felt unwell. I actually find going to school less stressful. I don’t really have a friend group to hang around with, or engaging hobbies, so school is what brings order to my life.

I would skip school for special events however.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
As long as it isn’t abused, it would be a really neat thing to have. Sometimes people legitimately NEED breaks and that should be okay.

College is a little iffy though. Many times I’ve felt like I needed to stay away for a day, but I learn best in physical classes and have a rough time learning online, so I’ve never been able to skip. I wholeheartedly agree with it potentially making stress worse. But that’s just my personal perspective on it.
And it’s expensive so I figure it would be a waste of money.
As long as it isn’t abused, it would be a really neat thing to have. Sometimes people legitimately NEED breaks and that should be okay.

College is a little iffy though. Many times I’ve felt like I needed to stay away for a day, but I learn best in physical classes and have a rough time learning online, so I’ve never been able to skip. I wholeheartedly agree with it potentially making stress worse. But that’s just my personal perspective on it.
And it’s expensive so I figure it would be a waste of money.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
it depends.

in HS, I think I only skipped once because i was so worn out and DID feel under the weather - it worked. I felt much better afterwards. But I knew someone who would skip every time they felt slightly ~off~ and they ended up making such a habit of it that they nearly failed freshman year. I tutored them and they were able to pass, but the stress was not worth the instant gratification of skipping.

In college? Do. NOT. skip.
Get your butt out of bed and go. No matter what. I've seen too many people fall into that trap - "its just one class" - don't do it. just go. Even if you dont really feel like it. Unless youre actually truly sick (this does include mentally, like an acute episode), go. to. class. every class you skip is a waste of money. and the stress will only compound. professors may also take notice.
it depends.

in HS, I think I only skipped once because i was so worn out and DID feel under the weather - it worked. I felt much better afterwards. But I knew someone who would skip every time they felt slightly ~off~ and they ended up making such a habit of it that they nearly failed freshman year. I tutored them and they were able to pass, but the stress was not worth the instant gratification of skipping.

In college? Do. NOT. skip.
Get your butt out of bed and go. No matter what. I've seen too many people fall into that trap - "its just one class" - don't do it. just go. Even if you dont really feel like it. Unless youre actually truly sick (this does include mentally, like an acute episode), go. to. class. every class you skip is a waste of money. and the stress will only compound. professors may also take notice.
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
I didn't take a single day off this year and honestly? I regret it. There were days I dragged myself to school seriously ill (even more of a mistake, coming from now), or with only a few hours worth of sleep. I was putting myself in danger by going - driving while sick or tired isn't exactly safe - and my friends. One of my friends got my sickness and missed school for a straight week. It was incredibly unethical for me to go at all, worse that I got my buddy sick too.
And why did I do all this? To keep exam exemptions - useless, as there were no exams this year.
I'll definitely skip in college if I'm practically too sick to get out of bed.

I didn't take a single day off this year and honestly? I regret it. There were days I dragged myself to school seriously ill (even more of a mistake, coming from now), or with only a few hours worth of sleep. I was putting myself in danger by going - driving while sick or tired isn't exactly safe - and my friends. One of my friends got my sickness and missed school for a straight week. It was incredibly unethical for me to go at all, worse that I got my buddy sick too.
And why did I do all this? To keep exam exemptions - useless, as there were no exams this year.
I'll definitely skip in college if I'm practically too sick to get out of bed.

It depends on why and at what point in your education youre at

In college I feel like you shouldn't skip at all. I don't count sick days as skipping mind you, as I'm sure your professors wouldnt want you coming in -- especially now
Skipping because you just dont feel like getting out of bed doesn't make sense to me. Youre paying to attend those classes so you should really go

High school is a little different though. In my experience I got burnt out in highschool way more than I have in college and I feel like thats because classes were back to back all day. If you miss a day or two in high school you really didn't miss much anyways. In college if you miss a day you missed the entire unit essentially lol
It depends on why and at what point in your education youre at

In college I feel like you shouldn't skip at all. I don't count sick days as skipping mind you, as I'm sure your professors wouldnt want you coming in -- especially now
Skipping because you just dont feel like getting out of bed doesn't make sense to me. Youre paying to attend those classes so you should really go

High school is a little different though. In my experience I got burnt out in highschool way more than I have in college and I feel like thats because classes were back to back all day. If you miss a day or two in high school you really didn't miss much anyways. In college if you miss a day you missed the entire unit essentially lol
I would skip school often in high school but not college, because of stress and because it was fun/didn't care. I say do it. I have no regrets. I did not skip college classes though because, for me, it was very costly to attend college and it's my choice to be there. High school though, lol, nah, skip.
I would skip school often in high school but not college, because of stress and because it was fun/didn't care. I say do it. I have no regrets. I did not skip college classes though because, for me, it was very costly to attend college and it's my choice to be there. High school though, lol, nah, skip.
High school: Definitely. I think once a semester or so is fine if you can swing it and haven’t already been out of school a lot for other reasons. It’s nice to have a mental health break from the day-to-day tension and routine of high school and tbh, nice to live a little, make memories, and do something rebellious if you have the opportunity. Usually my mental health days weren’t that exciting but there was this one time I skipped and went to the movies with my high school sweetheart. 10/10 recommend and had a blast. Stick to doing it on uncommon occasions and you won’t miss anything too important, just don’t make a regular habit of skipping.

College: Depends... mental health is important to your overall success and well-being so please take the day off if you absolutely need it. However college classes are often expensive (at least in the US) so try not to miss out on what you’re paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for. Like if your class meets 10 times over the course of the semester and costs $1200 and you skip a day, that’s $120 effectively gone. You also cover A LOT more material in one class period since most college courses meet 1-2x per week and not every single day. If you truly need a day off for mental health or other reasons make sure to check your syllabus for your professor’s absence and late work policies first. Anyone who tells you college doesn’t care about attendance hasn’t attended college anytime recently because in my experience you are at risk of being failed/dropped from a course if you miss more than three sessions of the course. For some courses it would be hard to pass with that many absences even without that policy anyway due to the sheer amount of material missed. Ultimately you’re choosing to be there and hold yourself accountable, so you owe it to yourself to try and push through if you can.

That said, I’ve taken mental health days before in college the times I decided I absolutely needed it, so I’m not saying to never ever do it. My best advice is to choose mental health days very wisely, keep them few and far between, always refer to the syllabus for absence policies, have a plan for catching up on missed material, don’t skip early into a semester if you can help it in case you end up having an unexpected reason to miss class later on, and finally if you find yourself consistently dealing with mental health stuff, find out if your college has resources available to help. Many offer counseling and/or other forms of support for students in need.
High school: Definitely. I think once a semester or so is fine if you can swing it and haven’t already been out of school a lot for other reasons. It’s nice to have a mental health break from the day-to-day tension and routine of high school and tbh, nice to live a little, make memories, and do something rebellious if you have the opportunity. Usually my mental health days weren’t that exciting but there was this one time I skipped and went to the movies with my high school sweetheart. 10/10 recommend and had a blast. Stick to doing it on uncommon occasions and you won’t miss anything too important, just don’t make a regular habit of skipping.

College: Depends... mental health is important to your overall success and well-being so please take the day off if you absolutely need it. However college classes are often expensive (at least in the US) so try not to miss out on what you’re paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for. Like if your class meets 10 times over the course of the semester and costs $1200 and you skip a day, that’s $120 effectively gone. You also cover A LOT more material in one class period since most college courses meet 1-2x per week and not every single day. If you truly need a day off for mental health or other reasons make sure to check your syllabus for your professor’s absence and late work policies first. Anyone who tells you college doesn’t care about attendance hasn’t attended college anytime recently because in my experience you are at risk of being failed/dropped from a course if you miss more than three sessions of the course. For some courses it would be hard to pass with that many absences even without that policy anyway due to the sheer amount of material missed. Ultimately you’re choosing to be there and hold yourself accountable, so you owe it to yourself to try and push through if you can.

That said, I’ve taken mental health days before in college the times I decided I absolutely needed it, so I’m not saying to never ever do it. My best advice is to choose mental health days very wisely, keep them few and far between, always refer to the syllabus for absence policies, have a plan for catching up on missed material, don’t skip early into a semester if you can help it in case you end up having an unexpected reason to miss class later on, and finally if you find yourself consistently dealing with mental health stuff, find out if your college has resources available to help. Many offer counseling and/or other forms of support for students in need.
Never be afraid to ping me!
Well I had a whole slew of words, but then cat. Why, cat!

TL;DR of paragraphing: No one will have a good answer, because it will depend on where you live, who you are, your intended career, and the institution you attend. Two people can have polar opposite results even when they do the exact same thing, depending on the variables in their lives.

Pretend it was better written and had a lot more stories about people I've met over the years, and a link or two. Freaking cat.
Well I had a whole slew of words, but then cat. Why, cat!

TL;DR of paragraphing: No one will have a good answer, because it will depend on where you live, who you are, your intended career, and the institution you attend. Two people can have polar opposite results even when they do the exact same thing, depending on the variables in their lives.

Pretend it was better written and had a lot more stories about people I've met over the years, and a link or two. Freaking cat.
In high school I skipped a lot. If you really need a skip day in grade school, then I'd say go for it!

However, if it's college then no. I would never unless there was a really really good reason. Stress and mental health wouldn't be a good enough reason for me either. For the money that these classes cost, I'm getting my money's worth. Even when I'm sick enough to have to stay home I still feel really guilty. College isn't worth just skipping for the sake of skipping. Plus I usually like being there anyway, it's not that bad if you like what you're learning. A lot of my college professors have given us practically useless notes or no notes at all. Being there to hear them talk through the material was important to not fail.
In high school I skipped a lot. If you really need a skip day in grade school, then I'd say go for it!

However, if it's college then no. I would never unless there was a really really good reason. Stress and mental health wouldn't be a good enough reason for me either. For the money that these classes cost, I'm getting my money's worth. Even when I'm sick enough to have to stay home I still feel really guilty. College isn't worth just skipping for the sake of skipping. Plus I usually like being there anyway, it's not that bad if you like what you're learning. A lot of my college professors have given us practically useless notes or no notes at all. Being there to hear them talk through the material was important to not fail.
Zayn.png
~ "to see the beauty of Nature, you must see the beauty of Change" ~
I used to skip school because of my chronic illness + anxiety, and honestly, it did hurt my grades, but I think it's always best to prioritise your health over grades.
I used to skip school because of my chronic illness + anxiety, and honestly, it did hurt my grades, but I think it's always best to prioritise your health over grades.

WNKiucd.png
LEpJMnn.png
dT9HQge.png
bX96R21.png
UVJYCUl.png
1 2 3 4 5 6