Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What books do you hate?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
The Fire Eternal by Chris D'Lacey is confusing and frankly not fun to read. Honestly after Fire Star the Last Dragon Chronicles really gets weird(And not the good kind of weird.) and jarring. Actually half through Fire Star the series started to get annoying and bizarre. (I mean did we really trans-dimensional beings in a middle school age novel about sentient clay dragons? No.)
The Fire Eternal by Chris D'Lacey is confusing and frankly not fun to read. Honestly after Fire Star the Last Dragon Chronicles really gets weird(And not the good kind of weird.) and jarring. Actually half through Fire Star the series started to get annoying and bizarre. (I mean did we really trans-dimensional beings in a middle school age novel about sentient clay dragons? No.)
@TheBlueWheaten:

How does this book have a sequel? My fanfiction is better than that.
@TheBlueWheaten:

How does this book have a sequel? My fanfiction is better than that.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
Hate is such a strong word.
I'd rather say, some of the stuff in certain books turns me off so much that I sometimes had to facepalm or outright laugh because some sentences were unintentionally funny.

There is one series I couldn't read because the sentences and descriptions were to winding for me and English isn't my native language so I listened to the audiobooks instead. That series is Paolini's Inheritance series.
I suffered several months through this BS series. There is so much wrong with these books but there's also so much more wrong with the publishing house which picked this up without advising the author to rewrite ... well, EVERYTHING.
There's even outright plagiarism in one of the books (and don't say it isn't, because the author stole a scene from The Ruby Knight - a book I also read - and only changed the names around and some small details).

But you know, if I had to decide on one thing that annoyed me the most with these books it would be how the characters are all so bound to the plot that they don't evoke any real emotions with me as the reader.
I mean seriously, there are characters dying in this book but does the main character ever grief like a normal person? Nope. Or have some trauma from the things he witnessed? Nah. WTH.
People complain about how Katniss (Hunger Games) is "unlikeable" but at least she has some realistic psychological reactions to the stuff that happened to her.
UGH
Hate is such a strong word.
I'd rather say, some of the stuff in certain books turns me off so much that I sometimes had to facepalm or outright laugh because some sentences were unintentionally funny.

There is one series I couldn't read because the sentences and descriptions were to winding for me and English isn't my native language so I listened to the audiobooks instead. That series is Paolini's Inheritance series.
I suffered several months through this BS series. There is so much wrong with these books but there's also so much more wrong with the publishing house which picked this up without advising the author to rewrite ... well, EVERYTHING.
There's even outright plagiarism in one of the books (and don't say it isn't, because the author stole a scene from The Ruby Knight - a book I also read - and only changed the names around and some small details).

But you know, if I had to decide on one thing that annoyed me the most with these books it would be how the characters are all so bound to the plot that they don't evoke any real emotions with me as the reader.
I mean seriously, there are characters dying in this book but does the main character ever grief like a normal person? Nope. Or have some trauma from the things he witnessed? Nah. WTH.
People complain about how Katniss (Hunger Games) is "unlikeable" but at least she has some realistic psychological reactions to the stuff that happened to her.
UGH
Ooooh boy do I have some feelings about this book:
The Other Side of Dark (by Joan Lowery Nixon)

Pros: It was short, and I never have to read it again.

Cons: Waaaay too predictable, yet makes zero sense. The protagonist is a thirteen year old who was in a coma for four years, so she looks seventeen but has the mind of a middle school girl. This ~totally relatable~ protag goes through every single high school cliché you can think of. Seriously, every single one. BUT it's also a murder mystery!! A very poorly constructed murder mystery!! It's really obvious who it is. I can't remember the ending, but that's probably a better indication of what kind of impact this book left on me.

Rant: There are some really interesting and sometimes terrifying concepts that are completely ignored. The protagonist could have gone through physical and psychological therapy, but the physical is explained away with "Oh, she did all of it while she was in a coma and only has to do an hour or so a week (iirc)" and the psych therapy is almost complete ignored, or just so insignificant that I forgot about it. It's been about four years since I myself read the book, so I don't really remember every single detail. But, I do know that all of my peers have changed a good deal in those four years. The protag can't just be like "hi guys i was in a coma for four years, how about we pick up those friendships as if i'd been here the whole time." and as far as I know, she doesn't, but the isolation that comes the four year difference isn't explored.... Whose idea was it to put a thirteen year old in the same grade as her peers from four years ago? She's not ready for the curriculum, and she simply doesn't fit in with seniors. The poor girl doesn't know that alcohol is invariably present at all high school parties, and she doesn't know some of her "peers" are total scumbags that will trick her and spike her soda with vodka. She gets drunk really quick, and she hardly even knows it. That's messed up and really scary. On top of that, there's the burglar who murdered her mother and put her in a coma still on the loose, and the protag is the only witness. Yet, she gets no protection. There is a MURDERER on the loose and the protag is the ONLY witness and she is COMPLETELY defenseless. He's eventually found in the end, but still... The book serves as a good guide on How Not to Write Either a Murder Mystery or a High School Slice of Life Book, and an explanation of What Not To Do With Coma Patients. [sigh]
Ooooh boy do I have some feelings about this book:
The Other Side of Dark (by Joan Lowery Nixon)

Pros: It was short, and I never have to read it again.

Cons: Waaaay too predictable, yet makes zero sense. The protagonist is a thirteen year old who was in a coma for four years, so she looks seventeen but has the mind of a middle school girl. This ~totally relatable~ protag goes through every single high school cliché you can think of. Seriously, every single one. BUT it's also a murder mystery!! A very poorly constructed murder mystery!! It's really obvious who it is. I can't remember the ending, but that's probably a better indication of what kind of impact this book left on me.

Rant: There are some really interesting and sometimes terrifying concepts that are completely ignored. The protagonist could have gone through physical and psychological therapy, but the physical is explained away with "Oh, she did all of it while she was in a coma and only has to do an hour or so a week (iirc)" and the psych therapy is almost complete ignored, or just so insignificant that I forgot about it. It's been about four years since I myself read the book, so I don't really remember every single detail. But, I do know that all of my peers have changed a good deal in those four years. The protag can't just be like "hi guys i was in a coma for four years, how about we pick up those friendships as if i'd been here the whole time." and as far as I know, she doesn't, but the isolation that comes the four year difference isn't explored.... Whose idea was it to put a thirteen year old in the same grade as her peers from four years ago? She's not ready for the curriculum, and she simply doesn't fit in with seniors. The poor girl doesn't know that alcohol is invariably present at all high school parties, and she doesn't know some of her "peers" are total scumbags that will trick her and spike her soda with vodka. She gets drunk really quick, and she hardly even knows it. That's messed up and really scary. On top of that, there's the burglar who murdered her mother and put her in a coma still on the loose, and the protag is the only witness. Yet, she gets no protection. There is a MURDERER on the loose and the protag is the ONLY witness and she is COMPLETELY defenseless. He's eventually found in the end, but still... The book serves as a good guide on How Not to Write Either a Murder Mystery or a High School Slice of Life Book, and an explanation of What Not To Do With Coma Patients. [sigh]
I don't know if I really *hate* any books; I mean if there are any I just don't like, I just don't read them.

That said I was not a fan of much of my high school reading list. The only two books I read in high school that were schoolwork related that I actually enjoyed in any capacity were Silas Marner and Frankenstein.

Outside of school...

Wheel of Time. I got through the first three books, but I barely made it through the third. I found myself facepalming at just about everything every character did in those book, and upon talking with a friend who'd gotten through eleven of them, decided to quit while I was ahead. I normally never quit a series once I started, but he confirmed that the rest of the books really don't improve in terms of character behavior or story pacing.

Basically the only characters I found myself at all interested in were Loial, and Siuan Sanche...and when you only enjoy two characters out of two dozen...well...yeah.
I don't know if I really *hate* any books; I mean if there are any I just don't like, I just don't read them.

That said I was not a fan of much of my high school reading list. The only two books I read in high school that were schoolwork related that I actually enjoyed in any capacity were Silas Marner and Frankenstein.

Outside of school...

Wheel of Time. I got through the first three books, but I barely made it through the third. I found myself facepalming at just about everything every character did in those book, and upon talking with a friend who'd gotten through eleven of them, decided to quit while I was ahead. I normally never quit a series once I started, but he confirmed that the rest of the books really don't improve in terms of character behavior or story pacing.

Basically the only characters I found myself at all interested in were Loial, and Siuan Sanche...and when you only enjoy two characters out of two dozen...well...yeah.
frsiggy1.pngfrsiggy2.pngfrsiggy3.png
THE CHRYSALIDS.
i don't even like....want to GO there with this book i read half of the first page and i was like "nope. i'm out." didn't even read the chapter summaries & got an 80 on my project. it was BAD like ?? the concept is kinda alright i guess i barely remember it but god i felt bad for the kids last year who had to read it again. forever thankful i got TKAM.

i also don't even wanna talk about the disasters that were mark of athena-blood of olympus. the first two books in that series were great, i loved (and still love) them. the original pjo books? eternal favourites. but those last 3? WASTED POTENTIAL. there were good parts about each of them, but i really......i was disappointed.

the dark secrets series. the summoning series. did you mean great ideas completely ruined by unnecessary & poorly written romance?

two words: john green.

i....could go on.

i stopped reading published books tbh. fanfiction is far more enjoyable for me. maybe it's because i've had enough of romance for the sake of romance.

i used to love books too, oh how the times have changed.
THE CHRYSALIDS.
i don't even like....want to GO there with this book i read half of the first page and i was like "nope. i'm out." didn't even read the chapter summaries & got an 80 on my project. it was BAD like ?? the concept is kinda alright i guess i barely remember it but god i felt bad for the kids last year who had to read it again. forever thankful i got TKAM.

i also don't even wanna talk about the disasters that were mark of athena-blood of olympus. the first two books in that series were great, i loved (and still love) them. the original pjo books? eternal favourites. but those last 3? WASTED POTENTIAL. there were good parts about each of them, but i really......i was disappointed.

the dark secrets series. the summoning series. did you mean great ideas completely ruined by unnecessary & poorly written romance?

two words: john green.

i....could go on.

i stopped reading published books tbh. fanfiction is far more enjoyable for me. maybe it's because i've had enough of romance for the sake of romance.

i used to love books too, oh how the times have changed.
marzipan-63907178-by-etheryn.png ... aze ( they / them )
wishlist / sales
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. I had to read this book several years ago as a summer reading requirement in high school, and man oh man... I did not enjoy a single moment of reading it. The writing style just didn't click with me, and I really didn't like how it kept switching perspectives. Like... Don't get me wrong. I love me some good Civil War stories. But this one was just not the one for me. I do not recommend it unless you can will yourself to slog through some dull, dull writing.

Another book I had to read for required reading was Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I think my main issue was that I couldn't really connect to the main characters that well. Heathcliff just bothered me and kind of came off as just unsettling. I don't know... It's been a good number of years since I read it, but I honestly can say that I did not enjoy reading it.

OH. And I had the distinct displeasure of reading Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I hated that book. Hated it. I don't even remember much about it apart from how my English class had an in depth discussion on whether or not Tess had consensual intercourse. >_< Never want to read that book again.
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. I had to read this book several years ago as a summer reading requirement in high school, and man oh man... I did not enjoy a single moment of reading it. The writing style just didn't click with me, and I really didn't like how it kept switching perspectives. Like... Don't get me wrong. I love me some good Civil War stories. But this one was just not the one for me. I do not recommend it unless you can will yourself to slog through some dull, dull writing.

Another book I had to read for required reading was Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I think my main issue was that I couldn't really connect to the main characters that well. Heathcliff just bothered me and kind of came off as just unsettling. I don't know... It's been a good number of years since I read it, but I honestly can say that I did not enjoy reading it.

OH. And I had the distinct displeasure of reading Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I hated that book. Hated it. I don't even remember much about it apart from how my English class had an in depth discussion on whether or not Tess had consensual intercourse. >_< Never want to read that book again.
Dragons over all.
Johnny Tremaine: it's like the author didn't actually know anything about silversmithing and didn't bother to research? You would have to try really really hard to burn yourself, even with a sabotaged crucible. You work silver --cold--.
Johnny Tremaine: it's like the author didn't actually know anything about silversmithing and didn't bother to research? You would have to try really really hard to burn yourself, even with a sabotaged crucible. You work silver --cold--.
EEBA057-B-0307-4125-9-FF4-E796-D4-E4-EA59.jpg
ahh well the first one that comes to mind is The Infernal City by Greg Keyes (the sequel lesser so for reasons i'll get to)
Pros - Elder Scrolls spin-off novel ! ! ! also Umbriel was interesting, generally speaking
Cons - forgettable and boring characters, boring side plots, boring, boring, boring

now as a avid tes fan and lore buff, i pride myself on at least knowing the general gist of what happens in anything tes-related. that being said, the book made me so bored at points that i can only summarize and explain the main plot - which wouldn't be a problem if there was two or so other plots, one of which has more-or-less nothing to do with anything else happening in the book.
now in the sequel, Lord of Souls, this is somewhat bearable to get through with several events that happens - which i won't spoil completely, but needless to say a one-on-one confrontation with Malacath happens - which makes up for it in a way, since Malacath is really only talked about when Orsimer are.

TL;DR it wasn't the worst, but it definitely could have been better, especially considering the source material
ahh well the first one that comes to mind is The Infernal City by Greg Keyes (the sequel lesser so for reasons i'll get to)
Pros - Elder Scrolls spin-off novel ! ! ! also Umbriel was interesting, generally speaking
Cons - forgettable and boring characters, boring side plots, boring, boring, boring

now as a avid tes fan and lore buff, i pride myself on at least knowing the general gist of what happens in anything tes-related. that being said, the book made me so bored at points that i can only summarize and explain the main plot - which wouldn't be a problem if there was two or so other plots, one of which has more-or-less nothing to do with anything else happening in the book.
now in the sequel, Lord of Souls, this is somewhat bearable to get through with several events that happens - which i won't spoil completely, but needless to say a one-on-one confrontation with Malacath happens - which makes up for it in a way, since Malacath is really only talked about when Orsimer are.

TL;DR it wasn't the worst, but it definitely could have been better, especially considering the source material
tumblr_inline_mtyur4d15R1r4wxt6_zpsoymhz5ko.gifbunny%2022_zpsbjrm6hzb.gif396.1xOrd.GuardianOwl_zpsxpyv37ki.pngbunny%2022_zpsbjrm6hzb.giftumblr_inline_mtyur4d15R1r4wxt6_zpsoymhz5ko.gif 9fb81a30-46bc-11e5-a8f4-45e71d318018.gif
I'm not sure about outright hate, but I did get immensely bored reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and Chocolate War just did not sit well with me. I also disagreed with an opinion in Thus Spoke Zarathustra..does this one count as religious context ovO I'll delete it if it is.
Issac Asimov's sf fictions were also difficult therefore dull for me, I guessing it was because of the different way it approached science fiction and narratives than I was used to, since I don't seem to have problems with Michael Crichton's and Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson's works.

I'm not even going to talk about Twilight (I haven't read 50 shades of gray..don't know anything about that book).
I'm not sure about outright hate, but I did get immensely bored reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and Chocolate War just did not sit well with me. I also disagreed with an opinion in Thus Spoke Zarathustra..does this one count as religious context ovO I'll delete it if it is.
Issac Asimov's sf fictions were also difficult therefore dull for me, I guessing it was because of the different way it approached science fiction and narratives than I was used to, since I don't seem to have problems with Michael Crichton's and Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson's works.

I'm not even going to talk about Twilight (I haven't read 50 shades of gray..don't know anything about that book).
tumblr_inline_nwu3otaP9J1t7d5o3_500.gif
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11