Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What books do you hate?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
Couldn't stand THG
read the 1st and 3rd book.
It was mostly Katniss whining in a tree over boys. There was barely any action, not once did I feel anything or worry for her or any other character. I only cared about Rue.
Strong Heroine? She didn't really do anything. everything was handed to her by someone else.
It took 10-13 chapters for anything interesting to happen and even then it was pretty meh.

I'm pretty sick of all the YA romance series/books. I understand that romance is a topic that appeals to a lot of people but it's so boring cause I can already guess half of it from the get go.

I don't mind if there's something aside from the romance
Couldn't stand THG
read the 1st and 3rd book.
It was mostly Katniss whining in a tree over boys. There was barely any action, not once did I feel anything or worry for her or any other character. I only cared about Rue.
Strong Heroine? She didn't really do anything. everything was handed to her by someone else.
It took 10-13 chapters for anything interesting to happen and even then it was pretty meh.

I'm pretty sick of all the YA romance series/books. I understand that romance is a topic that appeals to a lot of people but it's so boring cause I can already guess half of it from the get go.

I don't mind if there's something aside from the romance
A Clan between domains and gods, The Starwound clan (Arcane/Plague) http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=outbound&loc=http://the-lorebrary.wikia.com/wiki/StarWound_Clan[img][/img]8e0286da716b.png
[img][/img]dfc5c2959c84.png
@hanna
Oh man you would've loved the hate thread we had going for awhile xD
Actually I'll go see if I can dig that up again...
@hanna
Oh man you would've loved the hate thread we had going for awhile xD
Actually I'll go see if I can dig that up again...
There aren't many books that I hate because I can always find something redeemable about one that's lacking. I'm also not overly picky and will read nearly everything however, A Painted House by John Grisham is the exception because this book was dreadful and boring. I don't remember the exact plot because I've wiped it from my mind on account of how dull it is but it's told from the pov of a little boy living in some rural country with his grandparents during the 30s or 50s. Mostly all he talks about is baseball and his grandparent's crops doing badly. John Grisham needs to stick with writing about crooked lawyers and things like that
There aren't many books that I hate because I can always find something redeemable about one that's lacking. I'm also not overly picky and will read nearly everything however, A Painted House by John Grisham is the exception because this book was dreadful and boring. I don't remember the exact plot because I've wiped it from my mind on account of how dull it is but it's told from the pov of a little boy living in some rural country with his grandparents during the 30s or 50s. Mostly all he talks about is baseball and his grandparent's crops doing badly. John Grisham needs to stick with writing about crooked lawyers and things like that
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
Oh man finally a place I can rant about the only book that has made me really angry. :)

The Tide Lords series by Jennifer Fallon

I LOVED Fallon's books, read every one I could get my hands on, until I got to these. She betrayed her loyal readers, flipped them an obscene hand gesture, and pooped in the book and had it printed. -breaths- Okay not that bad but pretty close.

Pros: This series starts off great! She made this crazy world with secret immortals who just want to die but are unable to. The immortals travel from world to world shaping them how they see fit and created a race of anthro dog people to be their slaves. You get really invested in these characters and want them to achieve their goals.

Cons: Oh boy. The books were all leading up for this huge final show down where you knew the good guys were going to win, you wanted them to win so badly you could taste it. The final book is phoned in trash. Suddenly the characters are OOC where fanfiction could have done a better job with them, the plot has more holes in it than swiss cheese, oh but the ending. Let me tell you about the ending.

Fallon BLOWS. UP. THE. ENTIRE. PLANET. All those good guy characters you were invested in? TOO BAD THE THEY'RE DEAD. THEIR KIDS? LOL NOPE. THE LOVERS YOU WANTED TO SEE GET MARRIED? DEAD. THE WAR THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO END? DEAD. THE MAGICAL CRYSTAL THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE IMMORTALS HUMAN? DEAD.

OH but that BEST part is the immortals survived of course and huurr de duurrr the new planet the end up making is Earth! WHOOAAA.

Absolutely terrible.

The first three books are actually pretty good and I would recommend reading them if you are into that type of fiction. Just when you get to The Chaos crystal don't even bother. Make up your own happy/better ending.
Oh man finally a place I can rant about the only book that has made me really angry. :)

The Tide Lords series by Jennifer Fallon

I LOVED Fallon's books, read every one I could get my hands on, until I got to these. She betrayed her loyal readers, flipped them an obscene hand gesture, and pooped in the book and had it printed. -breaths- Okay not that bad but pretty close.

Pros: This series starts off great! She made this crazy world with secret immortals who just want to die but are unable to. The immortals travel from world to world shaping them how they see fit and created a race of anthro dog people to be their slaves. You get really invested in these characters and want them to achieve their goals.

Cons: Oh boy. The books were all leading up for this huge final show down where you knew the good guys were going to win, you wanted them to win so badly you could taste it. The final book is phoned in trash. Suddenly the characters are OOC where fanfiction could have done a better job with them, the plot has more holes in it than swiss cheese, oh but the ending. Let me tell you about the ending.

Fallon BLOWS. UP. THE. ENTIRE. PLANET. All those good guy characters you were invested in? TOO BAD THE THEY'RE DEAD. THEIR KIDS? LOL NOPE. THE LOVERS YOU WANTED TO SEE GET MARRIED? DEAD. THE WAR THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO END? DEAD. THE MAGICAL CRYSTAL THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE IMMORTALS HUMAN? DEAD.

OH but that BEST part is the immortals survived of course and huurr de duurrr the new planet the end up making is Earth! WHOOAAA.

Absolutely terrible.

The first three books are actually pretty good and I would recommend reading them if you are into that type of fiction. Just when you get to The Chaos crystal don't even bother. Make up your own happy/better ending.
moon_tank_poorolddragon_by_thetauche-d8mfje1.gif
im gonna rant about the hunger games. or, alt title: wasted potential, the book series

only pros about thg is that it's kind of an interesting post-apocalyptic plot. it's been used before in battle royale, not exactly to the same extent, but still, kinda alright. also rue was pretty much the only good character out of this mess as well. taken too soon. also, the first book is at least mediocre.

now. cons. most people like to hype thg up as this 'not like all the other YA novels!' but honestly, they are lying. thg has a very notorious love triangle and i blame that love triangle for everything, honestly. so after the first book everything pretty much gets absorbed in the peeta/katniss/gale triangle and it drives katniss a lot. like, katniss concerns herself so much with how she feels about them that it's not until halfway through catching fire that you're like "oh yeah this is a post-apocalyptic world where children are competing in bloodshed" and that's only because a quarter-quell happens for Plot Reasons. i guess

the romance is badly written. neither peeta nor gale are particularly good suitors for katniss, but we need to get that teen drama rolling so we ignore their glaring issues (and katniss' own!!) for Love. as a result, we get a ton of 'romantic' scenes that just feel Bleh and ??? and also a lot of scenes that may make you feel uncomfortable?? like. how is this meant to be romantic.... this is kinda.... creepy...

in general, bad writing is a big issue in this series as well, ESPECIALLY in mockingjay. dear lord. mockingjay. there is SO MUCH happening in mockingjay, katniss is in this place shouting propaganda; wait, she's here now, also a wedding?? wait, that character is dead?? and who's this. what is going on. so much rushing. it makes my head hurt and i got so tired of reading it tbh. the ending does not feel like an ending, but you have to accept it i guess. a lot of characters also end up being reduced to nothing but a few traits

and i just feel like this series is disappointing because it could of been so much. katniss could of been that great female protagonist, we could of spent more time focusing on the world of panem, the games themselves, the motivations behind some of the characters. what could of been.
im gonna rant about the hunger games. or, alt title: wasted potential, the book series

only pros about thg is that it's kind of an interesting post-apocalyptic plot. it's been used before in battle royale, not exactly to the same extent, but still, kinda alright. also rue was pretty much the only good character out of this mess as well. taken too soon. also, the first book is at least mediocre.

now. cons. most people like to hype thg up as this 'not like all the other YA novels!' but honestly, they are lying. thg has a very notorious love triangle and i blame that love triangle for everything, honestly. so after the first book everything pretty much gets absorbed in the peeta/katniss/gale triangle and it drives katniss a lot. like, katniss concerns herself so much with how she feels about them that it's not until halfway through catching fire that you're like "oh yeah this is a post-apocalyptic world where children are competing in bloodshed" and that's only because a quarter-quell happens for Plot Reasons. i guess

the romance is badly written. neither peeta nor gale are particularly good suitors for katniss, but we need to get that teen drama rolling so we ignore their glaring issues (and katniss' own!!) for Love. as a result, we get a ton of 'romantic' scenes that just feel Bleh and ??? and also a lot of scenes that may make you feel uncomfortable?? like. how is this meant to be romantic.... this is kinda.... creepy...

in general, bad writing is a big issue in this series as well, ESPECIALLY in mockingjay. dear lord. mockingjay. there is SO MUCH happening in mockingjay, katniss is in this place shouting propaganda; wait, she's here now, also a wedding?? wait, that character is dead?? and who's this. what is going on. so much rushing. it makes my head hurt and i got so tired of reading it tbh. the ending does not feel like an ending, but you have to accept it i guess. a lot of characters also end up being reduced to nothing but a few traits

and i just feel like this series is disappointing because it could of been so much. katniss could of been that great female protagonist, we could of spent more time focusing on the world of panem, the games themselves, the motivations behind some of the characters. what could of been.
tXKbExw.png
@Smoothy
I really have no desire to see the movie. I can't see it being any better than the book aside from maybe being able to picture whatever the heck to monsters were supposed to be better.
@Smoothy
I really have no desire to see the movie. I can't see it being any better than the book aside from maybe being able to picture whatever the heck to monsters were supposed to be better.
alWiqh6.png
mmm i read so many books and most were pretty good or ok. mediocre ones i honest to the gods forget tbh.

but really? maximum ride is what sticks in my mind as one of the worst series i have ever read. i think youre one of the few people i know who actually don't like the books... i really liked the first three books but after that, it delved into ooc-ness and gross characterization of characters i loved.

there was so much that could have been done but was thrown away for the "rule of leet coolness".

max? i loved her! i thought she was a badarse and i loved how she was part Mexican, tall and strong. the books were written in a way where gender didn't really matter and i enjoyed that a lot. i started to get...annoyed when the author spun in how max had a huge crush on fang; it seemed forced and it really didn't add anything to the story. and then Dylan(?) came and it became a stupid love triangle. but yeah...i think this post was long enough. too tired to write more.

story got to confusing and odd so i didn't read the last books. the last one i read was the 5th book and i was in middle school. really have no desire to pick it back up.

and i never, ever liked angel. :U
mmm i read so many books and most were pretty good or ok. mediocre ones i honest to the gods forget tbh.

but really? maximum ride is what sticks in my mind as one of the worst series i have ever read. i think youre one of the few people i know who actually don't like the books... i really liked the first three books but after that, it delved into ooc-ness and gross characterization of characters i loved.

there was so much that could have been done but was thrown away for the "rule of leet coolness".

max? i loved her! i thought she was a badarse and i loved how she was part Mexican, tall and strong. the books were written in a way where gender didn't really matter and i enjoyed that a lot. i started to get...annoyed when the author spun in how max had a huge crush on fang; it seemed forced and it really didn't add anything to the story. and then Dylan(?) came and it became a stupid love triangle. but yeah...i think this post was long enough. too tired to write more.

story got to confusing and odd so i didn't read the last books. the last one i read was the 5th book and i was in middle school. really have no desire to pick it back up.

and i never, ever liked angel. :U
Name: Elemental by John Antony
Pros: Advertised with avatar the last airbender style control of the elements!
Cons: Elemental powers actually present more similarly to the avatar the last airbender movie- all flash no bang. Meh main char. "no" special power(until he finds out he is secretly way OP). Forced love triangle. Boring boring BORING dialogue, and very unsatisfying world building and almost zero character development. It felt like I was reading the most desperate attempt at making an action movie actually feel like an in-depth fantasy story, and the genres didn't mesh well.

I dropped it about halfway through, but have since been told it "gets better at the very end"
Name: Elemental by John Antony
Pros: Advertised with avatar the last airbender style control of the elements!
Cons: Elemental powers actually present more similarly to the avatar the last airbender movie- all flash no bang. Meh main char. "no" special power(until he finds out he is secretly way OP). Forced love triangle. Boring boring BORING dialogue, and very unsatisfying world building and almost zero character development. It felt like I was reading the most desperate attempt at making an action movie actually feel like an in-depth fantasy story, and the genres didn't mesh well.

I dropped it about halfway through, but have since been told it "gets better at the very end"
m2kVx5P.png
THE FIRE WITHIN SAGA OH MY GOSH.

It started out awesome and the first book is the best thing ever. After that it all goes downhill. I don't even understand what happens except that one of the (human) characters has a (dragon) child that is also the child of another (human) character and a dragon that has fathered every person in her (first character's) line for generations and the females are humans and the males are dragons and her dead child is the only dragon for generations since the other dragon? Idek.

EDIT: This may be a little inaccurate since I read the series 2-3 years back. But not by much. And I quit at book 3 where there are more books in the series

Oh yeah, there was more. That was book two I think. Book three the main character (who I have not mentioned earlier) goes to awaken the dragon using a tear? I remember something about the dragon being ice but I really don't remember that part very well.
THE FIRE WITHIN SAGA OH MY GOSH.

It started out awesome and the first book is the best thing ever. After that it all goes downhill. I don't even understand what happens except that one of the (human) characters has a (dragon) child that is also the child of another (human) character and a dragon that has fathered every person in her (first character's) line for generations and the females are humans and the males are dragons and her dead child is the only dragon for generations since the other dragon? Idek.

EDIT: This may be a little inaccurate since I read the series 2-3 years back. But not by much. And I quit at book 3 where there are more books in the series

Oh yeah, there was more. That was book two I think. Book three the main character (who I have not mentioned earlier) goes to awaken the dragon using a tear? I remember something about the dragon being ice but I really don't remember that part very well.
currently on hiatus due to irl stuff.

pm me here or note me on DA (Kittidipity) if you want to contact me, I check in once or twice a week and will get to you as soon as I can
Book: The Magic Warble by Victoria Simcox
Pros: The artwork is good?
Cons: The writing is really sloppy, littered with grammar errors. Cliche plot and characters. Forced romance. The twelve year old main character does not sound like a twelve year old character. My favorite part is where she makes this motivational speech that convinces everyone to follow her. It's hilarious.
Quote:
"I will not give up and let Werrien die!" Kristina yelled toward the sky. Then she looked at the others. "If you won't come with me, then I'll go alone." She turned and began to walk away, but before she got very far, Roage flew over her head and landed on the ground in front of her. "Don't try and stop me! I won't change my mind," she said to him.
"Because you have shown such great courage, I have decided to help you. I will notify all the believing gnomes and dwarfs in our land, and we will rise up our own army. We will fight against Queen Sentiz and her zeblocks, Roage said.
Then Taysha, Raymond, and Retzel all said, " And you can count on us to be the first to enlist."
Roage is a crow, in case you were wondering.
Book: The Magic Warble by Victoria Simcox
Pros: The artwork is good?
Cons: The writing is really sloppy, littered with grammar errors. Cliche plot and characters. Forced romance. The twelve year old main character does not sound like a twelve year old character. My favorite part is where she makes this motivational speech that convinces everyone to follow her. It's hilarious.
Quote:
"I will not give up and let Werrien die!" Kristina yelled toward the sky. Then she looked at the others. "If you won't come with me, then I'll go alone." She turned and began to walk away, but before she got very far, Roage flew over her head and landed on the ground in front of her. "Don't try and stop me! I won't change my mind," she said to him.
"Because you have shown such great courage, I have decided to help you. I will notify all the believing gnomes and dwarfs in our land, and we will rise up our own army. We will fight against Queen Sentiz and her zeblocks, Roage said.
Then Taysha, Raymond, and Retzel all said, " And you can count on us to be the first to enlist."
Roage is a crow, in case you were wondering.
tumblr_n9rjznP5bt1qd0s8ko10_500.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11