Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What books do you hate?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
You read the title.
So a while ago I recall there being a "Maximum Ride Hate Thread", which was a ton of fun. But that got me thinking, what other books do we all hate?
Rules:
Spoilers are welcome, as long as you put a warning at the beginning of your rant
Be respectful, as much as you can, and recognize that these are people's opinions. (aka don't get butthurt if someone hates a book you love!)

I'll start!

Name: Maximum Ride (by James Patterson)
Pros: First three books started out strong.
Cons: Horrible plot later on, characters acting out of character, so much OP it hurts, horrid ending except for the fact that another book just came out and now I have to read it in order to see how much more this series goes down the hole.
Rant: This series betrayed me. I loved it so much when I first started reading it...then I have no idea what happened. The author stopped caring about making it a good series. There are so many stupid gimmicks, Angel is pretty much God...I could go on.

Name: Eon (by Allison Goodman)
Pros: Tamora Pierce recommended it on the cover, and dragons were in the summary.
Cons: Terrible characters, horrible plot, the thing is pretty much a doorstop at over 500 pages in the first book alone. And I payed ten bucks for this garbage.
Rant: I wasn't sure what to expect going into this series. The summary reminded me of the Lioness Quartet, which I love to pieces, and Tamora Pierce (author of said series) even had a recommendation for it! The story was supposed to be another "girl must dress as a boy and later prove girls can be strong too" sorta thing...but really when a book has worse characters than Maximum Ride you are doing something wrong. The main character was indecisive and I instantly hated her, the other characters were boring, and by the end of the book I was rooting for the bad guys! I dropped it 3/4ths of the way through.
You read the title.
So a while ago I recall there being a "Maximum Ride Hate Thread", which was a ton of fun. But that got me thinking, what other books do we all hate?
Rules:
Spoilers are welcome, as long as you put a warning at the beginning of your rant
Be respectful, as much as you can, and recognize that these are people's opinions. (aka don't get butthurt if someone hates a book you love!)

I'll start!

Name: Maximum Ride (by James Patterson)
Pros: First three books started out strong.
Cons: Horrible plot later on, characters acting out of character, so much OP it hurts, horrid ending except for the fact that another book just came out and now I have to read it in order to see how much more this series goes down the hole.
Rant: This series betrayed me. I loved it so much when I first started reading it...then I have no idea what happened. The author stopped caring about making it a good series. There are so many stupid gimmicks, Angel is pretty much God...I could go on.

Name: Eon (by Allison Goodman)
Pros: Tamora Pierce recommended it on the cover, and dragons were in the summary.
Cons: Terrible characters, horrible plot, the thing is pretty much a doorstop at over 500 pages in the first book alone. And I payed ten bucks for this garbage.
Rant: I wasn't sure what to expect going into this series. The summary reminded me of the Lioness Quartet, which I love to pieces, and Tamora Pierce (author of said series) even had a recommendation for it! The story was supposed to be another "girl must dress as a boy and later prove girls can be strong too" sorta thing...but really when a book has worse characters than Maximum Ride you are doing something wrong. The main character was indecisive and I instantly hated her, the other characters were boring, and by the end of the book I was rooting for the bad guys! I dropped it 3/4ths of the way through.
@Bluejey
OH LORD. THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER ROUND OF "DON'T GET ME STARTED!" (which is actually a fun party game).

First of all. Twilight. Do I even?
Second of all. 50 shades. Do I even?
Third of all Grey. should I even?

excluding all religious texts for obvious reasons.

1) The Manual (as in every manual ever, this is a comedy one XD )
Pros: It's a manual. No one ever reads it but it has a lot of rules n stuff. So read it? idek.
Cons: It has a lot of words. A lot of things I don't want to read. Eew.

2) Lord of the Flies
Pros: I guess its kinda good. I mean there's a lot of stuff in here.
Cons: This book is so boring (to me) and I understand it and stuff, but how anyone is supposed to get anything from it. There's a kid named Piggy and no ones cares about his asthmar to the point where he uh.... yeah.

3) To kill a mockingbird

Ok ok so this one i get kinda. I get what's going on. I get the imagery and all the things I'm supposed to get. IT'S JUST SO FLIPPING BORING. I couldn't remember a THING. This caused me (fake) emotional turmoil. Why you ask? Here's why. So our assignment is to read it right? Regular assignment. So I read it. I just can't keep it down. It's like my brain pukes it up or something.

Tl;DR version: IT SUCKED. I didn't remember any of it. We had to do a trial we were 16 didn't know how a trial worked. Almost all of us failed because we weren't lawyers. I had to dress up as Jem, but no one believed I was, so I failed for that. I read it twice but couldn't remember it and the teacher forced me to admit I hadn't read it.

I mean looking back it was kinda funny but I think this teacher went to too much trouble.

There needs to be a movie version of this I can go for days on that XD
@Bluejey
OH LORD. THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER ROUND OF "DON'T GET ME STARTED!" (which is actually a fun party game).

First of all. Twilight. Do I even?
Second of all. 50 shades. Do I even?
Third of all Grey. should I even?

excluding all religious texts for obvious reasons.

1) The Manual (as in every manual ever, this is a comedy one XD )
Pros: It's a manual. No one ever reads it but it has a lot of rules n stuff. So read it? idek.
Cons: It has a lot of words. A lot of things I don't want to read. Eew.

2) Lord of the Flies
Pros: I guess its kinda good. I mean there's a lot of stuff in here.
Cons: This book is so boring (to me) and I understand it and stuff, but how anyone is supposed to get anything from it. There's a kid named Piggy and no ones cares about his asthmar to the point where he uh.... yeah.

3) To kill a mockingbird

Ok ok so this one i get kinda. I get what's going on. I get the imagery and all the things I'm supposed to get. IT'S JUST SO FLIPPING BORING. I couldn't remember a THING. This caused me (fake) emotional turmoil. Why you ask? Here's why. So our assignment is to read it right? Regular assignment. So I read it. I just can't keep it down. It's like my brain pukes it up or something.

Tl;DR version: IT SUCKED. I didn't remember any of it. We had to do a trial we were 16 didn't know how a trial worked. Almost all of us failed because we weren't lawyers. I had to dress up as Jem, but no one believed I was, so I failed for that. I read it twice but couldn't remember it and the teacher forced me to admit I hadn't read it.

I mean looking back it was kinda funny but I think this teacher went to too much trouble.

There needs to be a movie version of this I can go for days on that XD
tumblr_o2vpc7gNFH1tyuk3oo1_500.png
@Saeledheldes
Bwahahahaha xD
Oh man my mom hated Lord of the Flies so much she literally burned the book!
And I remember having to read To Kill a Mockingbird...the only school book more boring than that was the Diary of Anne Frank! (I didn't even read the whole thing, I skipped a large chunk out of the middle and I still aced the test! Goes to show how many important events happen in there.)
@Saeledheldes
Bwahahahaha xD
Oh man my mom hated Lord of the Flies so much she literally burned the book!
And I remember having to read To Kill a Mockingbird...the only school book more boring than that was the Diary of Anne Frank! (I didn't even read the whole thing, I skipped a large chunk out of the middle and I still aced the test! Goes to show how many important events happen in there.)
@Bluejey So I just remembered this other book. I swear like I want to buy it just to burn it.

So it's called Their Eyes Were Watching God and its about this chick who like... is a slave and then she's freed and she has this -bad- life and she goes to work on this old plantation for low pay and her husband thinks she's so beautiful that he forces her to cover herself up so that she doesn't fall in love with anyone and the storyline itself is good.

Here's what's bad. IT'S WRITTEN IN BROKEN ENGLISH. Now, I get why. It's how African Americans talked at the time. I get that. I do. BUT WHY WAS THE NARRATIVE LIKE THAT? Seriously. It made me feel so stupid. So uneducated. So... I can't even.

If you woke up today and thought, "Gee, I'd like to read something that makes me feel stupid." then here's a link.

They changed it so the narrative wasn't like the quotes in it, but look at the quotes and imagine the WHOLE ENTIRE BOOK IS LIKE THAT. It made my head hurt. Don't get me wrong. I understand why the author did that, but I just don't like it.

@Bluejey So I just remembered this other book. I swear like I want to buy it just to burn it.

So it's called Their Eyes Were Watching God and its about this chick who like... is a slave and then she's freed and she has this -bad- life and she goes to work on this old plantation for low pay and her husband thinks she's so beautiful that he forces her to cover herself up so that she doesn't fall in love with anyone and the storyline itself is good.

Here's what's bad. IT'S WRITTEN IN BROKEN ENGLISH. Now, I get why. It's how African Americans talked at the time. I get that. I do. BUT WHY WAS THE NARRATIVE LIKE THAT? Seriously. It made me feel so stupid. So uneducated. So... I can't even.

If you woke up today and thought, "Gee, I'd like to read something that makes me feel stupid." then here's a link.

They changed it so the narrative wasn't like the quotes in it, but look at the quotes and imagine the WHOLE ENTIRE BOOK IS LIKE THAT. It made my head hurt. Don't get me wrong. I understand why the author did that, but I just don't like it.

@Saeledheldes
Oh my O_o
I can barely decipher internet speak sometimes.
Who's idea was that...?
@Saeledheldes
Oh my O_o
I can barely decipher internet speak sometimes.
Who's idea was that...?
@Bluejey Yeah I can't do the text talk thing and my generation invented it. Like, I just... UGH.
This was too much. I just couldn't read it. Eventually I just didn't finish it. I stopped half way. Oh, once I had to read it out loud and it was TERRIBLE. All the African American kids were like "You're racist you don't know what that is!" and i felt so terrible. But I let them have it when we had the Romantics to read. (I mean all the poems, it's not one book) I totally rocked that semester. Edgar Allan Poe is my man! I had to explain to everyone about the emo subculture and how he's not emo at all and what the difference is and all this other stuff and omigosh it was amazing.
@Bluejey Yeah I can't do the text talk thing and my generation invented it. Like, I just... UGH.
This was too much. I just couldn't read it. Eventually I just didn't finish it. I stopped half way. Oh, once I had to read it out loud and it was TERRIBLE. All the African American kids were like "You're racist you don't know what that is!" and i felt so terrible. But I let them have it when we had the Romantics to read. (I mean all the poems, it's not one book) I totally rocked that semester. Edgar Allan Poe is my man! I had to explain to everyone about the emo subculture and how he's not emo at all and what the difference is and all this other stuff and omigosh it was amazing.
The Great Gatsby and Fifty Shades of stupid.
The Great Gatsby and Fifty Shades of stupid.
siggy.png
Name: The Fault in Our Stars
Pros: it made me chuckle in places.
Cons: it wasn't outright funny. it also romanticizes cancer and tarnishes anne frank's memorial. it wasn't long enough for me to attach to any of the characters; i felt nothing at the end, except glad that i wasn't any of the cancer patients. hazel's and augustus's "love" for each other progressed way too quickly to be any more than teenage infatuation or a fling.
i would never recommend tfios, or any of john green's other books, for that matter, if they're all this sucky.

name: The Fifth Wave (maybe spoilers)
pros: "aliens". and the main heroine actually has monthly cycles.
cons: the "aliens" are actually microorganisms that take over human bodies. at least, that's what i think it is, since i didn't even make it halfway before i put it down. the main character teams up with this fruity kind of guy who might be one of them, but she's not really sure because he cries a pretty good amount. and she falls in "love" with him, even though she doesn't trust him and keeps sneaking around his property???? ?? also what is the deal with ben parrish and herione's little brother being in the military for alien defense??????????????? which they can't even fight because who tf knows if someone's been taken over by the aliens, using their fancy alien tech????????????????????????????
i'll go see the movie when it comes out, but i won't spend any more money reading the books.
Name: The Fault in Our Stars
Pros: it made me chuckle in places.
Cons: it wasn't outright funny. it also romanticizes cancer and tarnishes anne frank's memorial. it wasn't long enough for me to attach to any of the characters; i felt nothing at the end, except glad that i wasn't any of the cancer patients. hazel's and augustus's "love" for each other progressed way too quickly to be any more than teenage infatuation or a fling.
i would never recommend tfios, or any of john green's other books, for that matter, if they're all this sucky.

name: The Fifth Wave (maybe spoilers)
cons: the "aliens" are actually microorganisms that take over human bodies. at least, that's what i think it is, since i didn't even make it halfway before i put it down. the main character teams up with this fruity kind of guy who might be one of them, but she's not really sure because he cries a pretty good amount. and she falls in "love" with him, even though she doesn't trust him and keeps sneaking around his property???? ?? also what is the deal with ben parrish and herione's little brother being in the military for alien defense??????????????? which they can't even fight because who tf knows if someone's been taken over by the aliens, using their fancy alien tech????????????????????????????
i'll go see the movie when it comes out, but i won't spend any more money reading the books.
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
[quote name="Hollyshark" date=2015-08-29 10:35:18] pros: "aliens". and the main heroine actually has monthly cycles. [/quote] Well gotta give the author props for that :/ The only other series I can recall actually mentioning monthly cycles (enough to be significant anyway) was the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. [i]And[/i] it was handled rather well.
Hollyshark wrote on 2015-08-29:
Well gotta give the author props for that :/
The only other series I can recall actually mentioning monthly cycles (enough to be significant anyway) was the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. And it was handled rather well.
Mostly school books.

The Catcher in the Rye: Readable, but boring. I can't really remember much of the plot at this point honestly.

Lord of the Flies: Also boring, but unlike the first one I hated reading it all the way through. Once again, barely remember the plot.

The Red Badge of Courage: This one was so bad I couldn't even make it past the first chapter. It was just so agonizingly boring, not to mention the way people spoke, it was confusing. Despite it being a school book, I did not read it, and instead googled the main plot before the test. Got the highest grade somehow too.

Also Twilight and 50 Shades aren't school books but I don't need a reason to list them. The Twilight movies alone make me uncomfortable.
Mostly school books.

The Catcher in the Rye: Readable, but boring. I can't really remember much of the plot at this point honestly.

Lord of the Flies: Also boring, but unlike the first one I hated reading it all the way through. Once again, barely remember the plot.

The Red Badge of Courage: This one was so bad I couldn't even make it past the first chapter. It was just so agonizingly boring, not to mention the way people spoke, it was confusing. Despite it being a school book, I did not read it, and instead googled the main plot before the test. Got the highest grade somehow too.

Also Twilight and 50 Shades aren't school books but I don't need a reason to list them. The Twilight movies alone make me uncomfortable.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11