Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | When you think New Zealand, you think..?
1 2 3 4 5
The threads I've seen asking about what you think of various states have me intrigued, what do you think of when you think of my country, New Zealand?

I've just come back from a couple of years overseas, and whenever I mentioned where I'm from people automatically talked about The Lord of the Rings or "Gosh I've always wanted to go there, it looks beautiful!".
It's interesting that people don't seem to know that Weta Workshop in NZ has worked on A LOT more films than just the TLoR ones (Avatar, Prometheus, Wolverine, and so on).
And that kiwifruit were so named by New Zealand for being brown and fuzzy like our national bird!
I bet there's a lot more NZ in your lives than you thought. ;)

It'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with~

*hello any fellow NZers who I don't already know!*
The threads I've seen asking about what you think of various states have me intrigued, what do you think of when you think of my country, New Zealand?

I've just come back from a couple of years overseas, and whenever I mentioned where I'm from people automatically talked about The Lord of the Rings or "Gosh I've always wanted to go there, it looks beautiful!".
It's interesting that people don't seem to know that Weta Workshop in NZ has worked on A LOT more films than just the TLoR ones (Avatar, Prometheus, Wolverine, and so on).
And that kiwifruit were so named by New Zealand for being brown and fuzzy like our national bird!
I bet there's a lot more NZ in your lives than you thought. ;)

It'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with~

*hello any fellow NZers who I don't already know!*
msc80h.png
I just think of the beautiful landscape. [img]http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/nature/mountains/new-zealand.jpg[/img]
I just think of the beautiful landscape.
new-zealand.jpg
MUYNhfy.png
QRVupBA.png ACOZFAh.png hh5n4WA.png

tumblr_p14ugnvISB1v0ohcpo1_500.gif
Sheep. And beautiful terrain-and yes, when I hear of Lord of the Rings, I think of New Zealand. I also think of that place as being like Australia's quiet brother/sister.

Probably incredibly inaccurate, but there you go. I don't hear much about New Zealand either sadly. But, I guess it fits into the whole 'no news is good news.'
Sheep. And beautiful terrain-and yes, when I hear of Lord of the Rings, I think of New Zealand. I also think of that place as being like Australia's quiet brother/sister.

Probably incredibly inaccurate, but there you go. I don't hear much about New Zealand either sadly. But, I guess it fits into the whole 'no news is good news.'
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
...kiwis tbh. The first thing I think of is kiwis.
...kiwis tbh. The first thing I think of is kiwis.
(they/them/their or ve/ver/vis)
9.png5.png3.png
When I think of New Zealand, I think of all my friends who live over there! I was born in nz, but we moved to Australia when I was eight :/

I also think of birds, because nz has soo many cool birds, it's great. My fav are probably kakapos. (although last time we were in nz we saw a baby kiwi at zealandia, and it was so adorable. They hop instead of walking, I mean come on how is that not adorable)
When I think of New Zealand, I think of all my friends who live over there! I was born in nz, but we moved to Australia when I was eight :/

I also think of birds, because nz has soo many cool birds, it's great. My fav are probably kakapos. (although last time we were in nz we saw a baby kiwi at zealandia, and it was so adorable. They hop instead of walking, I mean come on how is that not adorable)
Lake Rotorua since that's where the hotel I stayed at was and it's really hard to forget the first time you take a sniff of that air.

Or the Maori people, wonderful history.
Lake Rotorua since that's where the hotel I stayed at was and it's really hard to forget the first time you take a sniff of that air.

Or the Maori people, wonderful history.
Isn't it that country where people just are generally pretty chill? Like I've heard so many nice things about people in NZ.

Also earthquakes.
Isn't it that country where people just are generally pretty chill? Like I've heard so many nice things about people in NZ.

Also earthquakes.
lhVaNcl.png
@wowfish I love Kakapo too! I've never had the privilege of hearing it in person, but their BOOM mating call that you can hear for miles is pretty hardcore for an otherwise cute and unassuming bird.! Do you think you'll hop back over the Tasman to NZ some day? :)

@ashotinthedark oh sheep for sure, when I was younger there was a statistic floating around that there were 14 sheep in the country to every one person.
Apparently though, a lot of sheep farmers these days are converting into dairy/beef farming.!
*and it wouldn't be hard to be quieter than the Aussies! Just kidding pls don't hurt me 'Straya*

@DeltaJay oof that Rotorua air. I was passing through a couple of weeks ago, and even with all the windows shut the smell just permeates into the car.
I hope you got to enjoy some hot springs or mud pools while you were there. :)

Oh yep, earthquakes is a big one. Wellington has been due for a huge earthquake, on par with what Christchurch had, for quite some time now.
@wowfish I love Kakapo too! I've never had the privilege of hearing it in person, but their BOOM mating call that you can hear for miles is pretty hardcore for an otherwise cute and unassuming bird.! Do you think you'll hop back over the Tasman to NZ some day? :)

@ashotinthedark oh sheep for sure, when I was younger there was a statistic floating around that there were 14 sheep in the country to every one person.
Apparently though, a lot of sheep farmers these days are converting into dairy/beef farming.!
*and it wouldn't be hard to be quieter than the Aussies! Just kidding pls don't hurt me 'Straya*

@DeltaJay oof that Rotorua air. I was passing through a couple of weeks ago, and even with all the windows shut the smell just permeates into the car.
I hope you got to enjoy some hot springs or mud pools while you were there. :)

Oh yep, earthquakes is a big one. Wellington has been due for a huge earthquake, on par with what Christchurch had, for quite some time now.
msc80h.png
Hobbits and Kiwis

and volcanoes

and the Haka
Hobbits and Kiwis

and volcanoes

and the Haka
Literally just got done marathoning LOTR and The Hobbit. Sooo. eue/
Literally just got done marathoning LOTR and The Hobbit. Sooo. eue/
tumblr_om7wmtaZKm1w2diclo1_100.pngAvyQk6b.png

Female ~ US ~ Water Flight. My name is Adam, and I proudly take care of my Steel Crest Clan! I love WoW, snakes, Sailor Moon and Pokemon~ Feel free to hit me up for trading, dragon breeding, or even just a chat. Roleplay friendly! Please pingaling me~

i ' m w i s h i n g f o r -- Crimson Leg Silks!
1 2 3 4 5