Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Gameplay or story?
1 2 3
Which one is the most important to you? o: I've seen a lot of views either way, so I thought I'd ask you guys what you like.

Personally, I think I'd say gameplay. While I absolutely love great storytelling and worldbuilding (ie. NieR, The Witch And The Hundred Knight), those things have to be in a game that's at least decently fun for me to be able to enjoy the plot. I don't think I could play a well-written game if the actual gameplay sucked. 8(

On the other hand, Etrian Odyssey III and Fossil Fighters: Champions are two of my favorite DS games, and neither of them have a very strong story. They're just so fun that I don't care. :')
Which one is the most important to you? o: I've seen a lot of views either way, so I thought I'd ask you guys what you like.

Personally, I think I'd say gameplay. While I absolutely love great storytelling and worldbuilding (ie. NieR, The Witch And The Hundred Knight), those things have to be in a game that's at least decently fun for me to be able to enjoy the plot. I don't think I could play a well-written game if the actual gameplay sucked. 8(

On the other hand, Etrian Odyssey III and Fossil Fighters: Champions are two of my favorite DS games, and neither of them have a very strong story. They're just so fun that I don't care. :')
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
Gameplay, hands diwn for me.

I mean, I can slog through a bad game for a good storyif I must but it really does ruin the experience. On the flipside, good gameplaycan more than trump a bare bones story. Hell, often I prefer it. Both in the old games of NES to modern ones, if the gameplay is good I can fantasy my own story around it.

But then again, I'm a writer and make stories in my head all the time. I suppose people less inclined could prefer a better more structured story from the very beginning, even at the cist of gameplay.
Gameplay, hands diwn for me.

I mean, I can slog through a bad game for a good storyif I must but it really does ruin the experience. On the flipside, good gameplaycan more than trump a bare bones story. Hell, often I prefer it. Both in the old games of NES to modern ones, if the gameplay is good I can fantasy my own story around it.

But then again, I'm a writer and make stories in my head all the time. I suppose people less inclined could prefer a better more structured story from the very beginning, even at the cist of gameplay.
It's hard to say. Like Miashin pointed out, bad gameplay can ruin a good story. However, I've always been one for story. I know I usually rush through gameplay portions on some games just to get to the next story part on games that have mediocre gameplay and I still get a good experience.

However, good gameplay can make a game. I've played some good games with almost zero story and had an enjoyable time, but I still like my games to have a plot or a point to make. Eventually just running around doing stuff becomes boring even in the best cases, so if I had to choose then I would say story.
It's hard to say. Like Miashin pointed out, bad gameplay can ruin a good story. However, I've always been one for story. I know I usually rush through gameplay portions on some games just to get to the next story part on games that have mediocre gameplay and I still get a good experience.

However, good gameplay can make a game. I've played some good games with almost zero story and had an enjoyable time, but I still like my games to have a plot or a point to make. Eventually just running around doing stuff becomes boring even in the best cases, so if I had to choose then I would say story.
O7IFtNN.png6klg2iF.png
Gameplay or story, eh?

I like both quite a lot, though ultimately I prefer story. Repetitive gameplay doesn't bother me at all when the plotline is enjoyable.
Gameplay or story, eh?

I like both quite a lot, though ultimately I prefer story. Repetitive gameplay doesn't bother me at all when the plotline is enjoyable.
60Avnmu.png
QgilwX7.png Looking for colors or near miss:
—Mantis/Peacock/Peridot
—Ginger/Auburn/Sanguine
—Cerulean/Teal/Ice
—Periwinkle/Plum/Fuschia
You're playing a game. If you're there 100% for the watching, you may or may not want to be asking yourself if this is worth it. I mean I love a good plot and atmosphere as much as the last fan, but if you're not there to have a good time kicking the (somewhat challenging) boss's butt, solving the puzzles, or raising your characters/army, what are you playing this for? Even VNs have their gameplay element at the center, which propels you forward as the person in the story.

This is part of the reason why I fell out of favor with most of today's games though, so I may have a biased opinion here as Cranky Kong.
You're playing a game. If you're there 100% for the watching, you may or may not want to be asking yourself if this is worth it. I mean I love a good plot and atmosphere as much as the last fan, but if you're not there to have a good time kicking the (somewhat challenging) boss's butt, solving the puzzles, or raising your characters/army, what are you playing this for? Even VNs have their gameplay element at the center, which propels you forward as the person in the story.

This is part of the reason why I fell out of favor with most of today's games though, so I may have a biased opinion here as Cranky Kong.
My writing project.
well... let's see ...

there are games i play purely for the story / characters and couldn't care less about gameplay, like mass effect - i hate playing shooters, but it has great characters so i just get through it.

then there are games like the binding of isaac - which, granted, doesn't have much of a story-component (yes i know, you can interpret it in all kinds of ways, but. y'know. in-game there's basically nothing.) - that i play purely for the gameplay.

aaaand then there's a lot of games i play for both - assassin's creed games, for example. yes i am ac trash oops

generally i go with the 'both are important for a game to be good' mindset though; a bad story can ruin an otherwise good game, and so can bad gameplay.

also it kind of depends what you consider to be a game, so .....
and i mean we can start a discussion about what a game needs to be considered a game, e.g. 'are visual novels games ?' but y'know. we can also not go there.
well... let's see ...

there are games i play purely for the story / characters and couldn't care less about gameplay, like mass effect - i hate playing shooters, but it has great characters so i just get through it.

then there are games like the binding of isaac - which, granted, doesn't have much of a story-component (yes i know, you can interpret it in all kinds of ways, but. y'know. in-game there's basically nothing.) - that i play purely for the gameplay.

aaaand then there's a lot of games i play for both - assassin's creed games, for example. yes i am ac trash oops

generally i go with the 'both are important for a game to be good' mindset though; a bad story can ruin an otherwise good game, and so can bad gameplay.

also it kind of depends what you consider to be a game, so .....
and i mean we can start a discussion about what a game needs to be considered a game, e.g. 'are visual novels games ?' but y'know. we can also not go there.
ijWAday.png
Story, I guess? Both are important but story is slightly more important.
Story, I guess? Both are important but story is slightly more important.
Story all the way for me. I've played games with great gameplay, but if the story isn't good then I lose interest pretty quickly. In comparison, I can overlook a lot of gameplay problems if the story interests me.

Of course, my definition of a "good storyline" isn't just endless cutscenes where you get no say in what happens. But the kind of game where you have choices to make, and things you do actually impact the story? That's the most important part of a game for me.
Story all the way for me. I've played games with great gameplay, but if the story isn't good then I lose interest pretty quickly. In comparison, I can overlook a lot of gameplay problems if the story interests me.

Of course, my definition of a "good storyline" isn't just endless cutscenes where you get no say in what happens. But the kind of game where you have choices to make, and things you do actually impact the story? That's the most important part of a game for me.
A great story can make a fun experience an amazing and memorable one. Great gameplay can make a good story even more exciting to play through. If you blend the two together, you get the best. Like Bastion and Transistor, or Half-Life.
A great story can make a fun experience an amazing and memorable one. Great gameplay can make a good story even more exciting to play through. If you blend the two together, you get the best. Like Bastion and Transistor, or Half-Life.
It really depends, I guess. D:
if it's a game where I'm not even supposed to care about a story to begin with, then the gameplay needs to hold up. like i've been addicted to Mario's Picross lately, but there's obviously not much going on in the story department.
I prefer story-driven games to at least be pleasantly playable though. Doesn't have to do anything innovative, but I don't want to be constantly aggravated by bad design/bugs either.
It really depends, I guess. D:
if it's a game where I'm not even supposed to care about a story to begin with, then the gameplay needs to hold up. like i've been addicted to Mario's Picross lately, but there's obviously not much going on in the story department.
I prefer story-driven games to at least be pleasantly playable though. Doesn't have to do anything innovative, but I don't want to be constantly aggravated by bad design/bugs either.
Inspiration Tumblr
Art-only Tumblr
Chicken Tumblr
deviantArt
FurAffinity
Steam
instagram

Commissions Open! c: 10/10 slots available
1 2 3