Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Gameplay or story?
1 2 3
A good story can make a game that much more enjoyable and could be the difference between replaying it after I beat it or moving on to something else. Such as Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter. I've replayed this game three or four times from start to finish because not only is it a fun game but the story is absolutely amazing (and the ending breaks my heart every time).

But a game doesn't need a good story to be considered good, at least in my opinion. The Mario games are what immediately come to mind. The stories are pretty boring, and the characters are so unbelivably one-dimensional. Does that make me not want to play them? No. Or how about everyone's favorite Tiny Wings or Flappy Bird? Granted I hate both, but that's not the point. Neither even have storylines but people still play them.

A game can get by on a lacking story if the gameplay is engaging enough, but it doesn't work the other way around. That's why I couldn't get through Final Fantasy (VII? whichever was the one for the DS) because the random battle system and the turn-based strategy type battles irritated me so much. It had a decent story from what I remember, but I hated playing it too much to get involved with the story.

TL;DR gameplay is more important than story, but a truly good game is strong in both areas.
A good story can make a game that much more enjoyable and could be the difference between replaying it after I beat it or moving on to something else. Such as Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter. I've replayed this game three or four times from start to finish because not only is it a fun game but the story is absolutely amazing (and the ending breaks my heart every time).

But a game doesn't need a good story to be considered good, at least in my opinion. The Mario games are what immediately come to mind. The stories are pretty boring, and the characters are so unbelivably one-dimensional. Does that make me not want to play them? No. Or how about everyone's favorite Tiny Wings or Flappy Bird? Granted I hate both, but that's not the point. Neither even have storylines but people still play them.

A game can get by on a lacking story if the gameplay is engaging enough, but it doesn't work the other way around. That's why I couldn't get through Final Fantasy (VII? whichever was the one for the DS) because the random battle system and the turn-based strategy type battles irritated me so much. It had a decent story from what I remember, but I hated playing it too much to get involved with the story.

TL;DR gameplay is more important than story, but a truly good game is strong in both areas.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
Hmmm... I suppose gameplay. I'll play a boring game with really good gameplay, but I won't play an interesting game with bad gameplay.

Though I am very picky about what kind of gameplay I enjoy and am even capable of playing, so if a game doesn't have that I can't play it even if I want to. It's why I watch my friends play games even if I don't play them (see: Dark Souls, Metal Gear, horror games). Some of my favorite games are games I can't even play lol

On the other hand, a game with good gameplay but a boring story I won't play nearly as much as a game with a good story but mediocre gameplay.

CONCLUSION: If I'm picking either good gameplay/bad story or bad gameplay/good story, gameplay is more important. But if I'm picking good gameplay/mediocre story or mediocre gameplay/good story, then story is more important to me (I'll just put it on easy and power through the gameplay).
Hmmm... I suppose gameplay. I'll play a boring game with really good gameplay, but I won't play an interesting game with bad gameplay.

Though I am very picky about what kind of gameplay I enjoy and am even capable of playing, so if a game doesn't have that I can't play it even if I want to. It's why I watch my friends play games even if I don't play them (see: Dark Souls, Metal Gear, horror games). Some of my favorite games are games I can't even play lol

On the other hand, a game with good gameplay but a boring story I won't play nearly as much as a game with a good story but mediocre gameplay.

CONCLUSION: If I'm picking either good gameplay/bad story or bad gameplay/good story, gameplay is more important. But if I'm picking good gameplay/mediocre story or mediocre gameplay/good story, then story is more important to me (I'll just put it on easy and power through the gameplay).
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
¿Por qué no no los dos?
¿Por qué no no los dos?
Ayy lmao.
1 2 3